• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
From Sept 9. I searched 'dreamcast' thread titles and couldn't find it.

Today, the Sega Dreamcast turns 20 in North America. It was a console that was ahead of its time, and embraced the weird. You could cruise around a faux-San Francisco as a frenetic taxi driver, roll around at the speed of sound, or escape the police while graffiting with style in just a disc change. The Dreamcast not only housed cult favorites, it forged its own path forward in the realm of 3D animation before being eclipsed by the PlayStation 2.

Its legacy lives on though. For the Dreamcast's 20th anniversary, we surveyed game developers across the industry all year long, asking those we met what their favorite Dreamcast game is, and why. Some tell us heartwarming stories about Dreamcast games they themselves worked on, while others pick out niche favorites—some we even had to Google ourselves to see if they existed.

Amy Hennig, writer and director on Uncharted 1-3, Soul Reaver series
Well, this is going to be completely self-serving. My favorite Dreamcast game is actually Soul Reaver on the Dreamcast because that relief. I mean, we were so proud that we got it onto that machine and it was a better game on that machine. Not that many people got to see it, but it was like a more complete realization of what we were trying to do. And a lot of people still kind of callback to that. And, you know, I wish we had made more and wish the Dreamcast had continued.

Hideaki Itsuno, director of Devil May Cry 5, Dragon's Dogma
I love all the titles on Dreamcast, so it's really hard to choose one. I just have a huge love for that console in general. If I had to pick one title, I'm not sure if it was released in North America, but it was called Guruguru Onsen. You are able to play Mahjong locally. What would happen was I was newlywed at the time, and so me and my wife would play Mahjong on Dreamcast, and the person who lost would typically have to do the dishes. Then, on top of that, just from a development standpoint, it was one of the first platforms where we did competitive online specs. There's just a love of positive things I associate with that platform.

Click the link to see what other devs thought of the Dreamcast.

Last edited:

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
ctrl+f 'Phantasy Star Online'

0hpk2qr9ffj11.jpg

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Itsuno's Mahjong story is so cute. A lot of really nice stories in here.. except for Hennig's, that one just falls a little flat. I'm sure Soul Reaver is a great series (never played it), but come on, you can dig a little deeper than that. Makes you look like you didn't really play it. Even others admitted they never played it and still had good stories, Masuda's comment about the commercials was great.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Whaaat? Tim Schafer was inspired by Skies of Arcadia for the arrowhead stuff in Psychonauts?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Itsuno's Mahjong story is so cute. A lot of really nice stories in here.. except for Hennig's, that one just falls a little flat. I'm sure Soul Reaver is a great series (never played it), but come on, you can dig a little deeper than that. Makes you look like you didn't really play it. Even others admitted they never played it and still had good stories, Masuda's comment about the commercials was great.
Isn't it better that she's telling a story about a game she actually played?

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Yeah. Itsuno made some keystone Dreamcast games, yet his answer is a Mahjong game because it was something him and his wife can appreciate together.

Still looking for a good game me and my fiance can get into together.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's freaking cool that Skies and Rayman were inspirations for Psychonauts.

Wish I had gotten to play Napple Tale.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Every time I hear anything about Skies of Arcadia I get sad. One of my favorite games EVER.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
A lot of really nice stories in here.. except for Hennig's, that one just falls a little flat. I'm sure Soul Reaver is a great series (never played it), but come on, you can dig a little deeper than that. Makes you look like you didn't really play it. Even others admitted they never played it and still had good stories [...]
???

She's proud that she helped make an amazing game. Jeez.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Man...I'd love to see the Kain series continue. I bought a Dreamcast to play Soul Reaver on and have no regrets. Hearing the story of what could have been for that series always bums me out.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Picking your own game ain't it chief. That's never a good look. Masuda's response is also pretty bad.

Lots of Shenmue and no PSO is like the inverse of what you'd expect back in 2001. I guess other online multiplayer RPG games have replaced it in peoples minds while there really is not much out there as indepth and 'real' like Shenmue.

Last edited: