• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/how-queen-latifah-became-a-last-minute-addition-to-sayonara-wild-hearts
"The story text bits somehow come up, and I mention that it was a shame that we never had the time to explore doing spoken narration for those bits. I say something like that 'it would have been fun to have someone unexpected to do those bits,'" Flesser writes. "So Nathan asks me who I would imagine. I think I had come home after having a beer with a friend, and was feeling somewhat jestful, and I just say 'Queen Latifah!' of course not meaning it very seriously at all; imagining that it would be so far out of reach.

"So, I think like two weeks pass and I get a message from Annapurna to jump on Skype, and they tell me that 'Queen Latifah will be able to record tomorrow.' So her narration bits came in just some weeks ago," Flesser concludes."

Thought it was pretty cool how Annapurna was able to make this happen. Those story bits would have been forgettable to me if it wasn't for that spoken narration.

Oct 28, 2017
I started and finished this this morning and every time she spoke I thought "I know that voice" but couldn't place it.

"Oh!"

"And Queen Latifah as the narrator"

So good.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
The whole game I was thinking "this really sounds like Queen Latifah," was pretty surprised it was actually her at the end.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
such an awesome surprise, and a great addition to the game. kudos to annapurna for making it happen.
i was legit mad at myself for not clocking it when i was playing, i was like why does this this voice sound so familiar, and then at the very end of the game it says "and queen latifah" and i went "OF COURSE!".

Last edited:

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime i read "Queen Latifah", the lyrics from Jim Jones, in Come Home with me comes straight in my mind :

"Come on home with me, these are the facts
Steve Francis and Latifah got jacked."

This got nothing to do with the OP, but i had to talk about it.

Dipset.

DIP - SET.

I'll check this game out. Looks cool.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
This was such a fantastic surprise! They knew people would be shook by it too, since they treated it as a small reveal!

OP
OP
lojo

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
I started and finished this this morning and every time she spoke I thought "I know that voice" but couldn't place it.

"Oh!"

"And Queen Latifah as the narrator"

So good.
The whole game I was thinking "this really sounds like Queen Latifah," was pretty surprised it was actually her at the end.
such an awesome surprise, and a great addition to the game. kudos to annapurna for making it happen.
i was legit mad at myself for not clocking it when i was playing, i was like why does this this voice so familiar, and then at the very end of the game it says "and queen latifah" and i went "OF COURSE!".

That was exactly my reaction when her name came up in the credits.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Felt the same way with the "huh, I know that voice" "huh, is that Queen Latifah? Nah, can't be" "oh shit it was!"

The narration added a lot, really surprising that it came so late in the dev cycle.