• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
aka PUBG's creator has no idea what IP protection actually is.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/pub...-had-better-ip-protection-because-of-copycats

Copycats have always been a thing that happens. In movies, in music, in video games. I imagine a few years from now, we're going to be seeing a whole lot more open worlds that are trying to be Breath of the Wild, like the recent trend of open world games trying to be The Witcher 3. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, this year's smash hit, is already getting a slew of copycat games. And creator Brendan "PlayerUnknown" Greene is not happy about it. tells BBC Radio 1 Gaming Show in an interview. "I want this genre of games to grow. For that to happen you need new and interesting spins on the game mode. If it's just copycats down the line, then the genre doesn't grow and people get bored."

What Greene is likely alluding to is the wealth of Battle Royale copycats that have plagued PUBG since its release. Most notably, Epic Games' Fortnite: Battle Royale lifts some concepts from PUBG wholesale, like the circle closing in. "In movies and music there is IP protection and you can really look after your work," says Greene. "In gaming that doesn't exist yet, and it's something that should be looked into."

I think the closest we got to a dev or pub "owning" a game design or game mechanic was back when Namco owned the idea of mini games during loading screens in Dragon Ball games, which isn't the case anymore.

A dev or pub owning a game design idea sounds like a nightmare.

Jonbjohns

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see him try to establish Battle Royale as his own intellectual property. Considering prior art in videogames and other media.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In movies and music there is IP protection but not for themes or ideas because those are unprotectable.
You can't copyright or patent ideas, only execution.

You can't stop people writing love songs because someone else wrota a song about being in love first, and you can't stop people making scary films about ghosts, any more than you can stop people making games where its a free for all and winner takes all.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He made for want to reconsider that seeing as his game is based of H1Z1 and if that law was in effect he wouldn't have PUBG.

sounds like the old "the idea i stole was stolen by others" defense.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
The only thing he can take issue with is the name stealing like Unknown Player's Battleground and all the other spins.

Status
Not open for further replies.