• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Was mentioned on the current episode of the AotBG podcast and folk are starting to talk about it on Twitter. I hope everyone is able to land on their feet without too much trouble. The staff over there did some fantastic work (great to hear the Axe of the Blood God podcast is continuing).

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Man, hate to see great legacy games media get forcibly shut down. Hope all land on their feet.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
People have been jumping ship for the past few months so this is sadly not unexpected. It's a shame - IMO, it was easily one of the best gaming sites out there and was always the first site I'd check for reviews. The staff all seemed really great too. I hope everybody lands on their feet soon.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
Losing a long term job is always awful but all the more so during a global pandemic that limits opportunities. I hope they can all find decent work soon.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Are they shutting the whole operation down? Kinda feels like this is preamble for a closure more than anything else.

Also, fuck laying people off right before the holidays.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
That's unfortunate. I don't read a lot of gaming editorial content but I've definitely enjoyed lots of stuff from them over the years. Hope people find jobs quickly.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sad news, but happy Axe of the Blood God will continue

It's one of the best gaming podcasts in my opinion

Alexzan

Sep 24, 2019
Italy
Are they shutting the whole operation down? Kinda feels like this is preamble for a closure more than anything else.

Also, fuck laying people off right before the holidays.
If they're closing USGamer it'd be a huge shame. One of the best gaming websites out there where quality matters more than quantity. Damn man, I hope it's not happening.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
It's a real shame, but I hope they all get decent jobs sooner rather than later.

If they're not killing off the entire USG site after this, then I have no idea what they're doing.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This sucks. USGamer had a great team of critics well equipped to tackle games from both a mechanical and aesthetic point of view. Early on the site thrived as sort of a late-era 1Up redux, but Caty McCarthy and Mike Williams were great voices too. I know they've already found work elsewhere and hope the rest of the team can do the same.

It's nice to see Axe of the Blood God continue, at least.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that blows. Haven't listened to it in awhile but Axe of the Blood God was fantastic. I always thought the site was doing well.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope everyone lands on their feet. I love Axe of the Blood God especially.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks, I've always enjoyed their work. Hopefully, they are all able to find jobs quickly.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I hope everyone can get a new job pretty quick. They had a great staff.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Kat Bailey is one of my favourite games media people; just an all round great podcaster with amazing depth of knowledge.

Hope someone snaps her up.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, that sucks. Enjoyed a lot of their content over the years. Hope everyone affected lands on their feet and finds replacement jobs swiftly.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
A real shame, I felt like their content output had been slowing over time and I'm not sure if this is related but I always found the staff there to have a lot of enjoyable and well written insight and articles.

Hopefully though this means other sites will make a point to snap the staff members up if they want some quality content

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I've been a fan of Kat's work since the 1UP days and really liked the writing and podcasting on USGamer.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks, I hope Kat and Nadia land somewhere good. I enjoyed them on Axe of the Blood God.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Shit, this sucks -- one of the very few gaming sites I read personally/not for work purposes. Afraid the flickering flame from 1up may finally be out. Hopefully everyone lands on their feet, as they're a good bunch.

FirLocke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I loved visiting the site over the years and the crew there is so great. I never saw big numbers in terms of comments so I always assumed that the engagement wasn't quite there, so I was afraid this was gonna happen eventually. Really wish everyone the best of luck landing on their feet; again they're a great crew.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Well damn. They're all talented folks, so I'm sure they'll get picked up (I noticed Mike already had) sooner rather than later. Have to assume this is because their parent company which is known for events just got slammed by COVID?

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I had a feeling this was going to happen as soon as ReedPOP bought them. A gaming outlet doesn't really benefit them. It was only a matter of time. Hopefully the other sister websites are fine. EuroGamer is pretty big with Digital Foundry being a thing.

Kudos to USGamer holding out for so long. It went from being a relatively unknown spin-off website of EuroGamer to developing its own identity. But it did feel like EuroGamer eclipsed it. I remember the humble days of when Jeremy Parish tried to launch the US Gamer podcast a few times.

I respect the hell out of Kat Bailey and the rest of the crew so I'm sure they'll land on their feet. Traditional games journalism is a dying media with the rise of personality based content.