• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
What a red herring.
Also a lot of people just throwing around accusations of racism and xenophobia instead of actually understanding what and why users/posters have an issue with Tencent.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't claim to be an expert on GDPR (or in my case specifically DSGVO) but I don't see how a local copy of a file (and even some light parsing of it) would violate it. Sending that data to Epic is a clear opt-in, isn't it?
This:
Bash:
cp steamdir/userdata/*/config/localconfig.vdf epicdir/secret_spyware_storage/stolendata.vdf
awk (some nefarious command extracting data from this plaintext file, lying around on your harddrive)
hardly qualifies as spyware or even anything of interest, as long as it doesn't get transmitted to someone else without me knowing.
No, as has been outlined previously (and I am unsure if Epic has fully changed it yet) the data scraping occurred on sync of installing the client to your computer. It parsed all of the data in the Steam folder, without going through the official API which would allow proper handling of your private data. The other issue is we don't know what it is they are sending back because they are parsing a file that has a lot more than just your friends list in it, whereas the API is more controller towards friend integration only. Thus the concern and the legitimate labelling of spyware.

Also you can't say "local copy of a file and light parsing" won't violate GDPR. It isn't Epic's file, it is Steam's and your file. They were doing it without the knowledge of you and even if it were tied to only happening when you opt-in there wasn't any way of seeing what data was actually being collected just that you are hoping it is only friend information. The transparency was already lacking and the discovery of data parsing was showcasing more issues.

Would it though? If they banned Huawei from your nation's 5G rollout but still allow Huawei phones to be sold and can't come out and say, "Australians, don't buy this shit, it's banned because they use it to spy on us," how does that inspire confidence?

My honest opinion is that they're most likely not spying, but that doesn't mean that should Australia go to war with China that they couldn't ask Huawei if there were ways to get around their security and eavesdrop on Australian communications. I bet it's that uncertain future that has government agencies spooked because if it was life or death, NATO was knocking on China's door, the administration, and possibly Huawei's, existence was in jeopardy to you really believe they'd cross their arms and tell the Chinese government to fuck off, that they're neutral? And we all spy on each other and steal to degrees but I figure each NATO member doesn't imagine ever outright going to war with another so if one of us spies on the other and gets caught, it's an annoyance and embarrassment but it's probably for a specific thing and I think that all of us trust that we're not invading each other any time soon. We clearly don't give China that same benefit of the doubt.
But they must if the government says so, that's one of the features of a Communist or Authoritarian state. It worked out for Haier, it was totally beneficial to the Chinese government, Haier and the Chinese people to take a bunch of underperforming shit factories and hand them over to a company that was performing, just that same power when used for a negative is scary is all.
It is OT to this thread so I won't elaborate any further but as I mentioned I'm not at all polished up on the Huawei ordeal so I have no real clue on what is going on, just that we removed them from the tender process of the 5G network rollout which caused TPG to bow out due their backbone being based on Huawei as well. I do actually believe we have bans on some Huawei phones as well but again I'm not 100% sure.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
It's undeniable that, mainly on Reddit, there was people screaming that they were collecting data for Tencent, which was then connected to the Chinese government and the whole angle of EGS being some sort of Chinese spyware, and the whole conspiracy about them giving free games went off.

That was wrong, of course, but still doesn't explain why EGS was scrapping a file containing a good number of user details without using the Steam API that has a dedicated functionality for what they said they wanted, and the said file contained much more information, that could be especially useful to Epic themselves.

Funnily how even after Valve's answer and all this had settled down, USGamer came out of nowhere with this piece; not focusing in the entire story, but instead using the xenophobic comments to overshadow the whole situation.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Spyware is software that aims to gather information about a person or organization, sometimes without their knowledge, that may send such information to another entity without the consumer's consent, that asserts control over a device without the consumer's knowledge, or it may send such information to another entity with the consumer's consent, through cookies.

So what do we call software that goes through your steam friends list without permission?

Oct 25, 2017
I swear people throw "toxic" around like fucking sweets nowadays. It's a great way of muddying up discussions by painting everyone who has a problem with EGS as xenophobic arseholes.
Fuck this article.
xenophobia, lmao
hating chinese corporations or their AWFUL government(winnie the pooh) has nothing to do with hating chinese people. The less tencent is involved with something, the better. The more, the worse. I don't think EGS is spying for the chinese government, but if they did have majority stake (which they almost do) in Epic, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was the case. It's not just a meme. I don't blame people for being vary.
This.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's undeniable that, mainly on Reddit, there was people screaming that they were collecting data for Tencent, which was then connected to the Chinese government and the whole angle of EGS being some sort of Chinese spyware, and the whole conspiracy about them giving free games went off.

That was wrong, of course, but still doesn't explain why EGS was scrapping a file containing a good number of user details without using the Steam API that has a dedicated functionality for what they said they wanted, and the said file contained much more information, that could be especially useful to Epic themselves.

Funnily how even after Valve's answer and all this had settled down, USGamer came out of nowhere with this piece; not focusing in the entire story, but instead using the xenophobic comments to overshadow the whole situation.
Yup, pretty much this. It's pretty sad, really.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
TIL that criticising the Chinese government is racism.

While I don't think EGS would be "spying" for the Chinese, I do not think the concern is unfounded. Tencent is heavily involved with the Chinese government and with everything they are doing around surveillance it's not so far fetched to distrust a company where Tencent holds (almost) a majority stake in.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of thing has been rampant lately, including on this forum, and it's really disgusting. Tons of people will post a bunch of nonsense about Winnie the pooh being "banned" in China (a total fabrication) as if that being true (it isn't) would justify everyone's blatant yellow peril racist garbage parties that have been some of these threads about China.
I mean, Winnie the Pooh was absolutely actually banned, so...?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
This kind of thing has been rampant lately, including on this forum, and it's really disgusting. Tons of people will post a bunch of nonsense about Winnie the pooh being "banned" in China (a total fabrication) as if that being true (it isn't) would justify everyone's blatant yellow peril racist garbage parties that have been some of these threads about China.
What's really disgusting is posts like these who are spreading misinformation about the censorship.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously it isn't spyware, now I will just insinuate that it's clearly Epic paying journalists or something.

It isn't like there's a huge bruhaha over a popular exclusive that might have prompted this article. Or a breakdown here: https://forum.facepunch.com/general/bvnqr/Epic-Games-Store-Is-Shit-But-It-s-Not-Spyware/1/ That was a day or two old. Both of which are referenced in the article.

Clearly trading one conspiracy for another is the answer.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Winnie the Pooh is actually banned in China though.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's really disgusting is posts like these who are spreading misinformation about the censorship.
Nah, they are right. Here is Liu Xiaobo enjoying his morning beverage in their Winnie the Pooh mug.
ngxKRXatUm-uYnz3_-6W-U5I1yMWWwKS3Kq9ofwTRxA.jpg

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I would kinda troll Sweeney on twitter about his pro-Apple, Anti-Ms tweets a few years ago. I felt it was pretty hypocritical many of his stances he took against MS/Windows when Apple would do the exact same things in iOS and he clearly admired Apple. He actually earnestly Dmed me wishing to engage about my accusations. I kinda felt bad about it then and didn't bother him after that.

Funny to think now a REALLY REALLY rich tech titan dmed me. Shoulda asked him for a loan...

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
xenophobia, lmao

hating chinese corporations or their AWFUL government(winnie the pooh) has nothing to do with hating chinese people. The less tencent is involved with something, the better. The more, the worse. I don't think EGS is spying for the chinese government, but if they did have majority stake (which they almost do) in Epic, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was the case. It's not just a meme. I don't blame people for being vary.

This is right. I'm an Chinese mainlander who has friends kidnapped by the government. Any Chinese company must assist the government in their global-infiltration agenda, it's a simple truth. EGS isn't doing spying right now, but it's a future possibility if Tencent had completed its takeover.

Tons of people will post a bunch of nonsense about Winnie the pooh being "banned" in China (a total fabrication) as if that being true (it isn't) would justify everyone's blatant yellow peril racist garbage parties that have been some of these threads about China.

This post is horribly misinformed.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would kinda troll Sweeney on twitter about his pro-Apple, Anti-Ms tweets a few years ago. I felt it was pretty hypocritical many of his stances he took against MS/Windows when Apple would do the exact same things in iOS and he clearly admired Apple. He actually earnestly Dmed me wishing to engage about my accusations. I kinda felt bad about it then and didn't bother him after that.

Funny to think now a REALLY REALLY rich tech titan dmed me. Shoulda asked him for a loan...
Well, I suppose having a lot of money doesn't stop you giving a shit about your insecurities.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
How has criticising a government for their inhumane practices ever been xenophobic or racist?

Can the same be said when criticising the UK government for Brexit or criticising Donald Trump? Are the people who take issue with those also racist or xenophobic?

I am not denying there is always a certain section of knuckle dragging idiots who will say "Those damn Chinese" and mean it in a racist way, that's inevitable unfortunately.

But isn't articles like this, which is essentially disregarding any concerns people have about Epic and their private information storing and pushing them aside and then shouting "racism" "xenophobia" and suggesting that's the entire reason people take issue with Epic the same damn thing?

Casting a wide net over people and pretending that a small minority of idiots represent every single persons opinion is, in itself, a bigoted approach to a discussion.

People have good reason to have genuine concerns about Epic that have absolutely nothing to do with China, this article is disingenuous and another example of hand waving for the things Epic are doing.

I also find it funny how Tim has been largely silent on the private data issue and offering no real explanation other than "It's an outdated system we just threw in" but now this article is out he is shouting from the rooftops with supreme confidence.

Epic = shady and the people astroturfing for them should be ashamed, you are contributing to a toxic environment for both gamers and indie developers.

I will end this by sharing an excellent post from another thread which fully covers everything wrong with Epic (that has nothing to do with the Chinese government) maybe USGAMER should write an article based on these facts...

Video games media coverage of Epic has been poor. They took up a narrative predicated on a fallacious factoid ("30% vs 12%"). Epic's game store was cast as a positive market disruption without a good factual analysis of the situation. Then some sites doubled down despite the growth and development of the story, handwaving away apologies for some significant issues with Epic's game store, usually just regurgitating Epic's PR clips without further critique.

In that time Epic has...

- told most indie developers to, basically, go fuck themselves

- outright stated they want to control digital distribution (i.e. limited/no 3rd party key selling) and prices

- tried to appease user criticism by allowing 3rd party selling on a very limited and disingenuous basis (humble's site only)

- pushed credit card process fees onto users

- pushed discovery costs onto developers

- continued to moneyhat exclusives just about to release on Steam

- locked out user usability options, like reviews and customer service

- basically shit on PC users telling them they don't know what's good for them

- was discovered to be stealing Steam user data

And Valve has...

- stopped one shitty game, which was never going to be approved for sale, from being approved for sale

- continued to expand and support Steam Link

- continued to develop and improve discoverability

- continued to significantly improve the user interface

- is working on dedicated servers for any game

-Take 0% from keys sold outside steam.

- and more

I can recall several sites that regurgitated Epic PR points without much analysis. I can't think of many sites that covered any of the above concerns or issues with the Epic store with any sincerity. Meanwhile the coverage of Valve has mostly revolved around one shitty game that was never going to be approved.

I understand gaming news is, like any other news, driven by interest and titillation (dirty laundry), but it's worth pointing out how weak the coverage has been of the entire situation.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I have noticed more anti-Chinese Government sentiments rise up recently. A new meme is that people will spam a copypasta of a bunch of banned Chinese words constantly, to somehow scare the Government. Don't know if I should laugh at it lol

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The food industry has a similar dilemma where Chinese restaurants are stigmatized for using MSG (monosodium glutamate). People argue that MSG is dangerous to consume. However there is little scientific evidence that proves that. Still, for decades, Chinese restaurants have been shunned if it's discovered that they use MSG in their food. Meanwhile, a lot of junk food and snacks have MSG in it, yet people don't bat an eye. Talk about hypocrisy.

It's misguided xenophobia, honestly. All your shit is made in China. Your own government and huge corporations are likely spying on you too, but that doesn't piss you off? Come on.

However, I won't dismiss people's misgivings towards the EGS entirely. I respect that PC players want a single repository for their games and not be forced to use a specific vendor/ launcher for their games. Sure, Epic wants to be competitive, but what they're doing isn't helping consumers, at least in the short term.

Last edited:

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Main takeaway from the reddit post was that it was without user's permission making a copy of steam profile file and they wanted to fix this mistake in a future update instead of immediately. To me that is not a trustworthy company.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
In this case it could be, im no fan of Tencent or it's connections to the Chinese government, Tencent is just as bad as EA, most of the time however PC gamers crying about spyware is a tale as old as time, back in 2004, so many people who purchased Half Life 2 were bitching that Steam was trying to steal their passwords & stuff.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
How has criticising a government for their inhumane practices ever been xenophobic or racist?

Can the same be said when criticising the UK government for Brexit or criticising Donald Trump? Are the people who take issue with those also racist or xenophobic?

I am not denying there is always a certain section of knuckle dragging idiots who will say "Those damn Chinese" and mean it in a racist way, that's inevitable unfortunately.

But isn't articles like this, which is essentially disregarding any concerns people have about Epic and their private information storing and pushing them aside and then shouting "racism" "xenophobia" and suggesting that's the entire reason people take issue with Epic the same damn thing?

Casting a wide net over people and pretending that a small minority of idiots represent every single persons opinion is, in itself, a bigoted approach to a discussion.

People have good reason to have genuine concerns about Epic that have absolutely nothing to do with China, this article is disingenuous and another example of hand waving for the things Epic are doing.

I also find it funny how Tim has been largely silent on the private data issue and offering no real explanation other than "It's an outdated system we just threw in" but now this article is out he is shouting from the rooftops with supreme confidence.

Epic = shady and the people astroturfing for them should be ashamed, you are contributing to a toxic environment for both gamers and indie developers.

I will end this by sharing an excellent post from another thread which fully covers everything wrong with Epic (that has nothing to do with the Chinese government) maybe USGAMER should write an article based on these facts...

Thanks for the summary.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
The real issues of siphoning my steam data without asking and making up some bullshit to cover their ass, not the rest of that post which was proven a load of nothing forever ago

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to see a new article gaslighting people with fucking legitimate problems with the EGS.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hating the shitty Chinese government has nothing to do with xenophobia. I hate it even more because I love Chine and chinese people as whole.

And I am saying this as a non detractor of Epic.
This. Criticising chinese government is the literal opposite of xenophobia or racism.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
I really don't like that several western countries with the US at the front have started with racism against chinese. Yes, I've seen posts (not on era but on other forums/news sites of how bad the chinese people are.... It's everywhere, last weeks it's been about how Huawei spies on everyone. I'm from Sweden and I can say that I don't really care if the chinese would spy on me, I already know that US is spying on me and that scares me more because I consume american media and services, while I don't consume a single thing from China.

We should be more open to other cultures.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Garbage take, Epic trying to muddy the waters by trying to get sympathy evoking a fringe opinion like it was the majority.

Not going to fall for this bullshit.

This is how the media works. legitimate concerns over the store are denied because a fringe position of some is drummed up to be the only factor thus weakening the argument in the eyes of many.

I have no idea why Usgamer is taking the stance that everyone taking issue with EGS is this conspiracy level person.

But it works muddy the waters and make any argument against epic look like it's someone whom is racist and doesn't believe in moon landings.

Please ignore the real issues and turn against each other.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Vilification of journalism and media; conspiratorial rhetoric
Garbage take, Epic trying to muddy the waters by trying to get sympathy evoking a fringe opinion like it was the majority.

Not going to fall for this bullshit.

That's exactly what is happening and the fact people are falling for it makes it even more laughable.

Tim really is doing everything he can to garner sympathy for Epic whilst simultaneously screwing over consumers and engaging in anti-consumer practices and behaving like a marketplace bully.

Like you say, a fringe opinion from a bunch of people on reddit who think the Chinese government might be collecting data has now been made the front and center argument to protect the shady stuff Epic are doing and handwave it all away.

And then to cast a wide net out and throw accusations of racism/xenophobia at people who take issue with what Epic are doing is absolutely insulting to people who have to deal with racism/xenophobia on a daily basis.

The media using race as a manipulative tool to disguise poor business practices and deflect away from real issues, I am shocked, it's almost like the media don't actually care about racism/xenophobia and just use these topics as a way to cause conflict between people and deflect away from things.

Like I said before, I have no doubt there is an element of racism/xenophobia involved from
some knuckle dragging idiots when it comes to anything related to China but to pretend a fringe element represents the majority view and to cast aside the real concerns and put this front and centre is incredibly disingenuous, especially when you consider the majority of people who even mentioned the Chinese connection made it abundantly clear it was because they do not trust the Chinese government and it has nothing to do with Chinese people or race or xenophobia.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but it doesn't matter if it's spyware or not. It still earns Tencent a ton of money which contributes to the dystopian oppression in the PRC. It's still morally wrong to support it.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I really don't like that several western countries with the US at the front have started with racism against chinese. Yes, I've seen posts (not on era but on other forums/news sites of how bad the chinese people are.... It's everywhere, last weeks it's been about how Huawei spies on everyone. I'm from Sweden and I can say that I don't really care if the chinese would spy on me, I already know that US is spying on me and that scares me more because I consume american media and services, while I don't consume a single thing from China.

We should be more open to other cultures.
Wait, we have to be accepting of being spied on to be more acceptive of other cultures? Huh? Not to mention it's almost impossible to consume nothing from China, I would be willing to bet my entire life savings on the fact you have an electronic device in your house that had the majority of it manufactured in China. Not to mention if you've ever played games like LoL or used gaming services with Chinese stakes in them.

I've seen a tonne of (RIGHTFUL) criticism of the Chinese government but dislike and distrust of the Chinese government =/= xenophobia or racism against the Chinese people and saying otherwise is super disingenuous. Saying that, yes anti-Chinese sentiment and xenophobia is getting louder and larger which is fucking awful but acting like the majority of people talking about the Epic scraping debacle were subscribing to conspiracies or xenophobic rhetoric is disingenuous at best.

This article, in particular, comes as a massive red herring. Yes there were conspiracy theories, no the conspiracy theories weren't the point for the vast majority of people I saw talking about this, ESPECIALLY on ERA. Completely ignoring the Tencent stakes in Epic, there are legitimate privacy concerns with the Epic data scraping and the way they have handled their storefront and privacy policies that this article tries to handwave away as xenophobia which is terrible journalism, for shame USGamer.

Discussion Guidelines

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Let us have a civil and sane discussion in this thread please. For the record:
  1. Until there is direct and credible evidence that the Chinese government is influencing Epic policy, this kind of speculation will be moderated as a conspiracy theory.
  2. It remains fair game to scrutinize EGS' monitoring of Steam files.
  3. Do not hurl hyperbolical or inflammatory accusations at other members. If you see a real problem, use the report feature.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Let us have a civil and sane discussion in this thread please. For the record:
  1. Until there is direct and credible evidence that the Chinese government is influencing Epic policy, this kind of speculation will be moderated as a conspiracy theory.
  2. It remains fair game to scrutinize EGS' monitoring of Steam files.
  3. Do not hurl hyperbolical or inflammatory accusations at other members. If you see a real problem, use the report feature.

a sane decision would be to shut this thread for equating criticism at epic as some sort of racist fueled fear

it automatically insinuates one camp as xenophobic

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
a sane decision would be to shut this thread for equating criticism at epic as some sort of racist fueled fear

it automatically insinuates one camp as xenophobic
I mean there already are multiple users on the first page insinuating that people on Era against the EGS are dumb, whiners, idiots and racists.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I would not trust anything that Tencent has the majority stake in.
That's just logical.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Threadwhining, Backseat Moderation.
I mean there already are multiple users on the first page insinuating that people on Era against the EGS are dumb, whiners, idiots and racists.
Yeah. Frankly we shouldn't be giving credence to such disingenuous bullshit.

Inflammatory articles from right wing rags get threads closed. This should too.

Status
Not open for further replies.