• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Hmm well sometimes I used it with strangers too. I thought it was polite, if maybe a bit posh, but maybe you're right.
You'll still find people using "ladies and gentlemen" at the start of speeches and the like, because public speaking tended to happen in 'polite society' where the speaker would be addressing nobility. It's probably not something I'd use today, because I recognise that it's outdated, but it is yet another example of how context and experience trumps pure etymology.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So let's drop mates.

Let's also drop boys.

"Hey everyone"
"Hey pals"
"Hey people"
"Hey all"

Again missing the point, You can't be objective.

"Pals" can be offensive, "People" sounds like a robot speaking. "All" doesn't follow a traditional UK speech cadence.

You have actively shortened the list of acceptable words. Word policing something you said you arn't doing.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Uhhh how the hell are we arguing boys isn't gendered lol

Because "everything is offensive to someone else" and "people choose to be offended". Quality arguments right there, although nothing new; this "blame the offended" and "sticks and stones" narrative has been used for decades to legitimize the use of all and any word.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
The Greek equivalent of "Hey guys" is "Hey children" so in my language it's totaly gender neutral and to me it really sounds awkward when I use the Engish phrase.

Nov 12, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Trolling, disingenuous rhetoric and inflammatory false equivalencies over a series of posts; account still in junior phase
Okay, so it mates is a word that is truly considered male, then let's drop that one too! :)
It seems you missed the point of our socratic dialogue. it isn't just gender that matters for the purposes of impact analysis. You have to consider things like cultural appropriation, ageism, and all other kinds of experience discrimination that people go through. for example, you are advocating for the use of y'all as a common parlance of a group of people. Did you stop to consider the impact that would have on people from the south who feel that is a cultural appropriation?

did you stop to think about the impact of the word mates on people from Australia? The impact on gender fluid people is not the most important thing in the world. You have to consider the impact on everybody incoming to a cultural consensus. You don't simply get to change words and start using words that offend other people.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Again missing the point, You can't be objective.

"Pals" can be offensive, "People" sounds like a robot speaking. "All" doesn't follow a traditional UK speech cadence.

You have actively shortened the list of acceptable words. Word policing something you said you arn't doing.

"people can sound like a robot speaking"

"all doesn't follow a traditional UK speech cadence"

Lmfao...

How can pal be offence? I'd like to know that one honestly.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
This thread is literally about the word BOYS, which means male.
Like I said earlier, this is part of a much broader conversation that you're unwilling to have. I agree with you that boys is an incorrect word to use to refer to mixed-gender groups, but you can't talk about the fight for gender equality if you're going to dodge the much more interesting, wide-ranging conversation that other people are having around you.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Did you stop to consider the impact that would have on people from the south who feel that is a cultural appropriation?

And, this is where the thread ended up...

Like I said earlier, this is part of a much broader conversation that you're unwilling to have. I agree with you that boys is an incorrect word to use to refer to mixed-gender groups, but you can't talk about the fight for gender equality if you're going to dodge the much more interesting, wide-ranging conversation that other people are having around you.

What am I dodging?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I think the trouble is the universality of these proposed changes, OP. I don't have a trouble with changing things when asked by someone on a person by person basis, but it's hard to get behind a movement for "everyone" to change their speaking patterns for what I would imagine is a smaller subset of the population than "everyone" when odds are the two different sides may not even really meet in a situation where the words would be used in the first place - and this is on top of the fact that it's hard enough to nail down the degree to which it's a gendered term in the first place.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I always try to use non gendered terms even when not asked and in general i find the use of boys weird when addressing to a group to but to be honest OP your arguments are not making you look good at all.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? I've never heard people using the word 'boys' to address the group. It's 'guys' and it's not disrespectful to anyone.

Nov 12, 2017
And, this is where the thread ended up...

What am I dodging?

What on Earth is wrong with considering the impact on other social groups? This goes back to my initial question, why do you think gender fluid people are more important than any other people in the world? You also cut out the other examples I gave. Cultural appropriation of the word mate for example.

You are conveniently ignoring the impact that words have on other social groups. If you're going to ignore those social groups, why should they care about you?

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Here you go, some context: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...-buddy-what-call-someone-whose-name-forgotten

But again, language is totally subjective. Calling someone in the North of England "pal" might get you punched. Using it somewhere else might get you a hug. It's that pesky context again!

And you're equating this to the word "boys", which means men, used in a male dominant society to refer to people who are less included because of said dominance?

Lol.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It seems you missed the point of our socratic dialogue. it isn't just gender that matters for the purposes of impact analysis. You have to consider things like cultural appropriation, ageism, and all other kinds of experience discrimination that people go through. for example, you are advocating for the use of y'all as a common parlance of a group of people. Did you stop to consider the impact that would have on people from the south who feel that is a cultural appropriation?

did you stop to think about the impact of the word mates on people from Australia? The impact on gender fluid people is not the most important thing in the world. You have to consider the impact on everybody incoming to a cultural consensus. You don't simply get to change words and start using words that offend other people.

The only thing I see here that he could have missed is you obvious attempt at gotchas and massive trolling. I mean, not that it wasn't obvious that you weren't being discussing honestly, but the second you say something like "the impact on gender people isn't the most important in the world" in the same breath that you accuse "y'all" of being offensive Southern cultural appropriation... :D

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
You're completely missing the point. People have taken great pains to explain why you cannot be objective about something that has such a broad spectrum of subjectivity, and your response is "cool, let's roll out another blanket rule then!".
I'm sorry, there's nuance to be had about other words, but all I'm seeing is a bunch of people who do not want to change their language and are twisting in knots to do so. "I can't say anything that won't offend someone anyway so why should I change!" This thread is about being more gender-inclusive by not using "boys." Not anything else.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
A fair bit of it is people suggesting that context is a really integral part of this discussion, and that people's backgrounds and life experiences create a world where various words have various implications to various people.
No, a fair bit is the shit that a bunch of people just got banned for.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
And you're equating this to the word "boys", which means men, used in a male dominant society to refer to people who are less included because of said dominance?

Lol.
No. You asked how "pal" can be offensive, and I provided an example. At no point did I imply equivalence - that's on you.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm sorry, there's nuance to be had about other words, but all I'm seeing is a bunch of people who do not want to change their language and are twisting in knots to do so. "I can't say anything that won't offend someone anyway so why should I change!" This thread is about being more gender-inclusive by not using "boys." Not anything else.
Which is something I've already said is wrong, and something I've never done. I've also provided numerous examples of occasions where I've moderated my own language to accommodate people's feelings.

My hope was that people might be able to look beyond the narrow subject to see the broader implications, and plenty of people have. If the rule is that conversations have to be rigorously confined to their original subject with no additional context, then fair enough, I've overstepped those bounds.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
A fair bit of it is people suggesting that context is a really integral part of this discussion, and that people's backgrounds and life experiences create a world where various words have various implications to various people.

And then moving on to stating that since context is impossible to ascertain, fuck it, we should use any word we want no matter who's offended.

Basically the old "the world is complicated, there's nuance, therefore let's use the same solution for every case".

Nov 4, 2017
I honestly can't tell whether this is satire.
Can you explain to me how or why it would be?
Hmm well sometimes I used it with strangers too. I thought it was polite, if maybe a bit posh, but maybe you're right.
Yeah, it's definitely one of those words most people use meaning to be polite, and most people will probably be ok with hearing. I think if will be one of those words we look back on and go "oof, did we really use that?"
Aussie here. For what it's worth, "mate" is a fairly male term to me. I've encountered a lot of women from the country who use and accept the word "mate", but in the city it feels like a mostly male term from my experience. It's certainly not a word I'd use to acknowledge a women (unless I was being playful with a friend).

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Which is something I've already said is wrong, and something I've never done. I've also provided numerous examples of occasions where I've moderated my own language to accommodate people's feelings.

My hope was that people might be able to look beyond the narrow subject to see the broader implications, and plenty of people have.
I'm not doubting you specifically, but this conversation was definitely not started on a genuine foot and you will not get a good discussion out of it

Edit: the people I'm referencing have been banned so maybe you can now idk lol

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
"people can sound like a robot speaking"

"all doesn't follow a traditional UK speech cadence"

Lmfao...

Because 50hz still hurts.

In seriousness, in the north of England where I grew up, pal tended to be used as a way of starting confrontation. Like a "I'm not your friend, friend." Sort of thing. Nobody I knew would use it as a friendly thing, but more to instigate things. That or be sarcastic about it.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
I am coming late to the party, but I never heard "boys" being used as a collective of "group of people", never.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Ding ding ding.

Original Game Boy

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Shannon-Weaver_model.png

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
And then moving on to stating that since context is impossible to ascertain, fuck it, we should use any word we want no matter who's offended.

Basically the old "the world is complicated, there's nuance, therefore let's use the same solution for every case".
It's less about "everything is offensive and why should I change", but more about understanding that it's simply a matter of people drawing lines in different places. I don't think it's a "do you want to be offensive or do you want to be inclusive" situation.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
for example, you are advocating for the use of y'all as a common parlance of a group of people. Did you stop to consider the impact that would have on people from the south who feel that is a cultural appropriation?

???

I'm from Southern California, trust me, the US South doesn't have a monopoly on y'all. And if the Southern US folk somehow gets offended for using a legit conjunction of two words in the English language, that's on them. And the South can get fucked atop that.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The discussion that has spanned the last few pages about the importance of subjectivity and personal experience in interpreting and using language.

It is not on astro to decide what is offensive to other people. Other people can stand for themselves and point out what's offensive to them. And if they make a good case, they should be listened to as well.

For fuck's sake. Quit the blatant and ridiculous whataboutisms and gotchas.

It's less about "everything is offensive and why should I change", but more about understanding that it's simply a matter of people drawing lines in different places. I don't think it's a "do you want to be offensive or do you want to be inclusive" situation.

See above.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
But this ignores the size difference in the two groups of affected people - those who take offense [are perfectly right in their feelings about it as it pertains to themselves] , and people who want to be able to use the words they want to use for a situation. For some reason, this entire thread has ignored everything but a person-by-person interpretation.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
Reading this thread all I can think about is that there's no way to address to a group without being offensive in some way.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
But this ignores the size difference in the two groups of affected people - those who [are perfectly right in their feelings] take offense, and people who want to be able to use the words they want to use for a situation. For some reason, this entire thread has ignored everything but a person-by-person interpretation.
Do you think the plight of people who want to use the word boys to refer to every gender is the same as the plight of those who have spent their entire lives feeling exclude, dismissed, and erased?

Reading this thread all I can think about is that there's no way to address to a group without being offensive in some way.
If it's hard because some words are difficult, throwing the word "boys" that literally means "men" in there is not going to help.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is your argument that someone in the audience being Palestinian and taking "hey Pals" to be an intentional racial slur is exactly the same case as the OP?

I don't think it's a shortening of Palestinian here, more that 'pal', just like 'mate' or 'friend', can also be taken as a stern rebuke laden with faux-friendliness when addressing a stranger or in a confrontation and depending on tone, just as much as it can be a genuine reference to a good friend.

For example, me saying 'hey pal, fancy a pint' to a friend is very different to saying 'hey pal, leave it out' to a stranger being aggressive to someone. Just like saying 'thanks, mate' to a friend that's handed you a drink is very different to spitting 'thanks, MATE' through your teeth at someone whose just splashed through a puddle in a car and trashed your suit :D

I agree that the comparison between 'pal' and 'boys' doesn't quite work. Any misunderstanding of faux-friendliness given regional and situational context with 'pal' is different to using a term like 'boys' that is pretty much exclusionary by nature of being descriptive of young men and male children. It's that male-as-default element of 'those of us about to head off together are all young men, together, having fun', the same as 'boys night out' isn't particularly inclusive either because it's origin is in strict gender roles.

Last edited:

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty easy for me: boys doesn't affect me but it obviously does affect you, astro. So I'm going to try to catch myself in the future. It's just a measure of respect, not sure why people have a hard time with it.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the plight of people who want to use the word boys to refer to every gender is the same as the plight of those who have spent their entire lives feeling exclude, dismissed, and erased?
Nope; do you think that the size of the group of people who are excluded/dismissed by the use of the word "boys" is the same as the "everyone" you mention in your topic title? Do the feelings of a smaller subset outweigh the less strong feelings of a much larger group? Should that much larger group change their behavior when they might not even run into the people they're changing their behavior for?

As per my earlier post:

As someone whose first language isn't English and isn't a boy, this seems...a bit...much.

How I'd approach it:
-Is it a word which is gender specific? In this case, arguable.

-What's the intent and usage of the word? The more generalized "guys" has been brought up, but "guys" and "boys" do not share the same connotations. "Boys" can refer, and often does, to a closer knit group of friends - ie, "hanging out with the boys" or "you're my boy". While "guys" can be replaced in those examples, if someone was to tell me that they had the exact same connotation in every situation, I'd say that, well, no, they don't. Not for everyone. "Y'all" isn't even close to the same thing. It is on a general level, but as an actual replacement for the word? Does every application of the word "boys" have the same as "y'all"? Very much no. There doesn't seem to be a good proxy in English for the colloquial application of "boys", and it genuinely odd for me to see people claim "guys" or "y'all" fit in the same. What's more, I've been referred to as one of the "boys", and if anything, as a female trying to be accepted in gaming, it helped eliminate the sense of othering, that I was just like everyone else. Not to a huge degree, like it wasn't something that I consciously picked up on, but it's a marginal thing.

-Who is being affected in the negative if things don't change, and how much are they being affected? As mentioned, I'm not, but I can't speak for all people who are. So for some, like OP, it clearly is very affecting, as they're totally right in feeling. That said, I would have to think that the amount of people who feel hugely impacted by it are...small. The genericizing of the term and the lack of an equal proxy makes it separate from misgendering, in my mind, and considering this thread is the only one I've ever seen of anyone being opposed to the term with respect to gender, makes me think that it is a very specific - valid, but specific - point of contention among the larger populace.

-Who is affected by it in the negative if things do change, and how much are they being affected? I'd argue many, many, many, many, many more people. I would, for instance. In a very small way, yes, but I would, just as a point of fact, and I don't even say it that often really at all. I am part of "everyone", after all. It's a widely used term, ironically or not, and one which is in the process of being genericized, as these 20 or so pages show. Where on that process is up for debate, but it is. No, it's probably not a huge deal for someone to switch things around, but it is - and forgive the terminology - a policing of language. It is, quite literally, telling everyone else out there not to say a word in situations they otherwise would, a word which is often used to no ill intent at all. It's a large group of people who are changing how they communicate, broadly, to people who might not even be in their group for the game or match or what have you.

To put it obnoxiously logically, I balance out:
([number of people who would take offense level X at the term]*[intensity of offense level X]+[number of people who would take offense level Y at the term]*[intensity of offense level Y] etc etc)*odds of running into such individuals) vs ([number of people who take offense level A at being asked to stop*[intensity of offense level A])
And then try to go with the smaller side (also yes I know the math is open for some tweaking)

So although I assume that the people who take offense at the term are far more impacted than any one individual changing their language choices, I would also think that a)people who change their languages choices is a group several orders of magnitude larger (being, as the OP says, "everyone") and b)the odds of running into a person who takes offense to the term in the first place is quite small.

So all that in mind, if someone were to ask me to not call refer to a group containing themselves as "boys" or they themselves "boy", sure; I'm not out to specifically harm someone. I know that some people are more affected by these things than I am, and I know that for some communities, this kind of acceptance is key - nor will I deny anyone their valid sense of offense. In that case, it would be one person (me) with one other person (them), so the size discrepancy balances out, and the odds of meeting them is 100%.

But for me to advocate everyone to change how they speak, even a little bit...to avoid hypothetical offensive of what I would imagine if a fairly narrow slice of all the gamers out there? People that they might not even be speaking to? For a word whose gender application isn't even clear in the first place? No.

To say that *everyone* needs to stop, well...

That's an effort I simply can't get behind.

Last edited:

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
It is not on astro to decide what is offensive to other people. Other people can stand for themselves and point out what's offensive to them. And if they make a good case, they should be listened to as well.

See above.
If they make a good case? A good case by who's judgement? The majority? I'm not sure I agree with the idea that people should make their cases, as you say, and then you/the majority get to decide if their reasons for being offended are justified. What i think is justified, you might not agree with.

Nov 4, 2017
When I was going to Glasgow, my parents (who are Scottish) warned me "If somebody you don't know calls you 'pal', you're about to be malkied".

I think it's just a thing where people who are getting aggressive with a stranger will use words like "pal" or "buddy" in a condescending way. These words are not inherently offensive, and fine for actual friends.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017

See above.

Thank you.

When I was going to Glasgow, my parents (who are Scottish) warned me "If somebody you don't know calls you 'pal', you're about to be malkied".

I think it's just a thing where people who are getting aggressive with a stranger will use words like "pal" or "buddy" in a condescending way. These words are not inherently offensive, and fine for actual friends.
Exactly, it's about context, tone, etc... with the word pal and always has been.

Shoon

Dec 25, 2017
I just use "Hey all" or "Hey everyone" as that hits home and makes much more sense than simply saying boys or guys

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty easy for me: boys doesn't affect me but it obviously does affect you, astro. So I'm going to try to catch myself in the future. It's just a measure of respect, not sure why people have a hard time with it.

all there is to it really. it's truly amazing the lengths some of those posters were going to to justify using it..when it's as simple as stopping, recognising that you're not addressing a group of only boys, and changing the word you use.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
But you have to see that this is exactly what the OP is proposing, right? Yes, the blanket approach is wrong, and the status quo of language should absolutely evolve to keep up with social progress - and it sometimes does, whereas in other cases it lags behind and needs a kick. But I think where we disagree is that I don't necessarily see a new blanket approach as a good substitute for an old one. Because as I've said multiple times, I don't believe you can be objective about language.

I've also acknowledged - and I'll do it again - that emotions run high when the language status quo has accentuated people's feelings of marginalisation or exclusion. If, as Astro has implied, they are non-binary and don't like being referred to in a collective as "boys" then obviously that's valid; I'd never have done that anyway, but if it's a common occurrence then it must feel awful. But as quite a few people, myself included, have pointed out, Astro is talking about subjectivity (and only their subjectivity) but proposing objectivity as the solution. That is where this thread should rightly hook into a broader conversation, but again, if this is not the place to have that conversation then I accept that I've overstepped the bounds of the original discussion.