• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I empathize with this. I use "guys" as a gender neutral term all the time, but I understand how upsetting it can be for GNC folk.
It's something I've really been trying to remove from my lexicon for years, at least as a gender neutral term, and I'll still catch myself using it from time to time. Replacing it with "folks" has helped though.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand your position, but you don't really offer any alternatives - just "dont use boys"

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think what the OP is saying: "Don't assume a group of men or boys, are all actually boys, because some of them won't actually identify as such."
But are people actually assuming that when they say "what's up boys" or "what's up guys"? I know I don't. I feel like there's a serious disparity between the intent of these words and the way OP and probably others take them.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I rarely hear the word/term "boys"

it's usually "you guys" which I have no problem with, and I'm not going to stop using it

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I'm sorry to hear you've had difficulties in your personal life but that doesn't mean you get to decide the vocabulary other people use online, especially if its not a hateful term.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, ya'all want to show some actual empathy here? "It's not a big deal" and other such dismissals, you don't get to decide what is or isn't a big deal to the people who feel excluded or slighted by the language in question. OP is non-binary, if they feel this is a problem, I'd much rather take their perspective on this issue.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
"Guys" is popular because it flows well.

"Boys" is weird. And also sounds condescending.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I try to be cognizant of when I use "guys". I've gotten a lot better about avoiding it, though I'll still use it if I can't come up with something better on the spot.

I've never used "boys" or "bois" and never will. It's super weird and reeks of tribalism.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If y'all didn't grow up in the South then I don't wanna catch y'all saying y'all or y'all are getting the switch.

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it's all over gaming side.

Anything but Boys?

I don't understand why this is so hard... not everyone is a boy/male.

Fair response I guess, but I asked you a question about a specific preference. You didn't provide anything in OP in regards to a solution. Even if as you say its not difficult people aren't inclined to do the work for you.

For reference, I use "friends" primarily when dealing with unfamiliar team mates. I am not here because the concept of inclusion is foreign to me.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to hear you've had difficulties in your personal life but that doesn't mean you get to decide the vocabulary other people use online, especially if its not a hateful term.
I don't understand... not everyone is male, so why try to push "boys" as a catch-all?

Girls aren't boys.
non-binary folks aren't boys.
Gender fluid people aren't boys.

I'm not telling you how to speak, I'm explaining why this is exclusive and asking you to please consider it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Just.Use."Folks".

That's what I do all the time and it's gender neutral. That said, where I live, the term, boys or rather "B'ys" (newfoundland, Canada) is deeply culturally ingrained and is used in ways beyond referring a person or a mixed gender group.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
I dont think Ive ever heard someone unironically, even then not very much ever, say boys as a synonym for the more neutral guys when talking to a mixed gender group.

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
I generally avoid calling people by gender unless they want me to, the terms can easily come off as condescending or confrontational.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guilty of using guys. However, with this being said I never want to make anyone feel uncomfortable while online gaming. I'll try to make better use of word "everyone" or words like that. :)

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, this is how I see it. I really only see guys use it when they are alone/with friends or don't know the gender of everyone into their party.

Sometimes I hear girls use it in an ironic sense.

I see it online all the time in group settings. Streamers, youtubers. anyone "get ready to x boys!" or some such. it IS infuriating because it's like... why?

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I mean, societal use dictates meaning, and can change over time. "Guys" became less gendered, "boys" may be going the same route.

Personally, though, I've not seen that "boys" is used much at all anywhere.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Can you please explain why "Guys" is ok, but "boys" is not? I am just struggling to understand how you can feel so strongly about one (stabbed in the gut is the term you used I believe), and the other is ok b/c it is commonly used, even though in principle they both *specifically* refer only to males. Is the term "boys" loaded with some other significance?

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys doesn't bother me, I know it bothers some people but I'm fine with it.

Boys on the other hand, it's fully exclusive.

Here's where this breaks down for me. If someone who was non-binary wants to post this exact thread and says:

"Boys doesn't bother me, I know it bothers some people but I'm fine with it.

Guys on the other hand, it's fully exclusive."

How would you react? Would you argue that they are wrong about it or acquiesce because it's really not a big deal. Let's say you do the latter and then promptly that person leaves the forum forever.

If I was in a direct conversation with you, and I remember your wishes, I would not use "boys". I don't know that I use the term in the first place. However, in a forum full of disparate opinions picking one incredibly minute word to police for someone is unreasonable, when that word is not offensive on its face.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Because guys is not going to stop. It's fully ingrained. It's grown to mean "everyone" and while it's a word rooted in the male gender, I personally am fine with it.

But "boy" is male. It's really worrying that, in a time when gender identity is in focus and we're understanding more and more about it and how it's important to recognise, that people would try to push the word "boys" as a catch-all.

I honestly don't know how to make this any more clear than I did in the OP. I guess if you can't understand you won't.

I understand your point, but really, "guys" is a gendered term too. No reason we shouldn't use something different but indifference and laziness. Honestly, all it took was someone pointing it out to me, and I think about it every time I say it now. And I never say it with any malice obviously, but it doesn't mean I can't do better. It's not hard to pick a different word. The English language is full of superfluous non-gendered terms; pick on that feels natural. I don't think we have to protect "guys".

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Boys sure it doesn't work, but "Hey Guys" is never meant as anything other than a neutral term for everyone, I've seen women use it to talk to other women.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Does rural Ohio count?
Goddamn Yankee.

eyuOEwa.png

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is mostly indicative of the overarching problem with most people just deviating to male pronouns when speaking to a group/collection of people

so I just say y'all

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's a majority of boys, I'll keep using boys.
If there's a majority of Girls, I'll keep using Girls.
if I don't know the gender of the majority, I'll use guys as I've been doing so far.
This is the crux of the OP's argument though, if I'm understanding it correctly. That "guys", a masculine pronoun, is used as a default, and that it is a problem. What's the solution though?

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is mostly indicative of the overarching problem with most people just deviating to male pronouns when speaking to a group/collection of people

so I just say y'all
Language in general defaults to male pronouns all the time, which makes total sense given that language reflects the social constructs of a society, and most societies in the world evolved to be patriarchal.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Thinking about it the only time I use the word 'boy' is when trying not to offend my religious coworker with 'oh god.'

Wg2oOsS.gif

waluigi

Oct 27, 2017
This has always bothered me. I can't stand it when I see it online and it's mostly in games related posts, like "we did it boys _____ is finally here" during a game release or something. It just makes me cringe.

I'm at fault myself though and have used guys when referring to all for the majority of my life. I make an effort to stop myself now though and try to use something like "folks."
Does anyone have any other good terms to use when addressing everyone?