• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
And why is this in the gaming section?
I also say "thank god" yet I don't believe in him. See what I'm saying? I use it as a saying yet I don't attach any meaning to the individual words.
Context is what matters. In this case, "boy" isn't used to define gender, it's more of a saying that evolved traditionally. Language is fluid. I don't think using "boys" or "guys" in a phrase such as you stated in the OP don't have anything to do with gender today.
Second paragraph in the OT.

Also discussed/explained if you read the thread.

Oct 27, 2017
Try again. This offends the "unfuckable", or, those unable to "fuck".
hqdefault.jpg

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, because that's definitely what's happening, and absolutely the subject of this thread.

Policing the discussion, check.
That's exactly what's happening. Look at every post OP made in response to someone disagreeing with them in this thread and count how many times they just say: "I wrote the OP, if you didn't get the OP I can't help you, bye".

I never said it was the subject of this thread, I made one post regarding the matter before you replied to me, and like 6 posts regarding the actual topic. And I certainly won't continue this with you just so you can say I'm derailing shit. Have a nice day.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
People saying "y'all" without a southern accent has always come off as odd to me, not unlike when Americans use the phrase "bloody hell" or something similar. There's nothing wrong with it, just sounds strange to my ear.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is a very good post. I hope you don't mind, but I added it as a threadmark as INTENT VS IMPACT.

I would like to add it to the OP, also, if that's okay with you?
Yes, please, of course.

This is an eye opening response and I appreciate you replying to my comment. You're right. It doesn't hurt to try and make the small change if that's something you do. I tend to say "guys" all the time when referring to a group of people

It's one of those things that might be hard to break at first. And, like, it's not the end of the world if you still say "guys" sometimes, you know? It's just about doing your best to be respectful and accommodate the people around you and let the people you're with know you see and recognize them as part of the experience. It's not super important to every single person but for the people it benefits it really means a lot. It's free good will.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Being trans , completely agree that 'boys, guys, dude, etc' need to end when interacting with people you're not familiar with. Hopping into something through lfg and getting misgendered for an hour isn't fun folks.

Been called a lotta slurs for asking to not be called dude, believe it or not. So a simple 'just say you don't like it' isn't the easiest path. That said, gendered language is a pervasive social issue that extends outside of gaming in ways most cis males wouldn't be aware of, so I doubt we're gonna see a shift towards neutrality anytime soon. Queer spaces have made rad strides, especially with the adoption of 'y'all', though.
And this is why I usually stay silent. I take the slight stab to the gut and move along with my day.

But these little gut punches add up.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I would have thought everyone just used guys? I see it at this point as a word that is non gendered.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Being trans , completely agree that 'boys, guys, dude, etc' need to end when interacting with people you're not familiar with. Hopping into something through lfg and getting misgendered for an hour isn't fun folks.

Been called a lotta slurs for asking to not be called dude, believe it or not. So a simple 'just say you don't like it' isn't the easiest path. That said, gendered language is a pervasive social issue that extends outside of gaming in ways most cis males wouldn't be aware of, so I doubt we're gonna see a shift towards neutrality anytime soon. Queer spaces have made rad strides, especially with the adoption of 'y'all', though.

Specifically with gendered words that have evolved into ungendered words, it's always going to be on the person that finds the word usage offensive to ask other to change their usage.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
When I hear "boys" used this way, I picture fast-talking, high-trousers-wearing gangsters from the 1920s with their bootleg alcohol and Tommy guns. "Hey there, boys," said in an East Coast accent. It's always struck me as silly and thus harmless, but admittedly I didn't consider how someone who identifies differently may perceive it, given the messaging they may perceive elsewhere in society.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Give me a sentence with "boys" or "guys" in it that is not supposed to be gender-specific. I'll come up with a non-gendered example. I don't think this has to be as hard as people are making it out to be.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I assure you, it will hurt her. She will probably understand that it's ingrained and that it's not coming from a bad place as you're friends, but each time you mis-gender her will be a little cut. And there are thousands of those.

We're all learning. I STILL use "man" to refer to people sometimes as it's so deeply ingrained. I fight it like hell, but it slips out at times. A few months ago I said "hey man" to a trans woman and immediately saw them flinch.

So yeh, even those of us it hits can be part of the problem. No one is denying this is a difficult mind-set to shift, and I'm not saying everyone who uses these terms is a monster.

Thats why threads like these are helpful. They at least remind us to be aware of what we are saying and why saying certain things can be hurtful to others.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, "guys" feels okay to me despite its roots because it feels like it's been "gender neutralized" over the years for the kinds of contexts being discussed here. I say it and I don't personally mind when other people say it. One can probably make the case that "boys" is in the process of undergoing this same transition, but I don't think it's there yet, and I think that's the problem. It still feels explicitly male to me (and to several others in this thread, clearly), and I definitely feel excluded when I'm in a group that's addressed this way.

Like, for example, I'm in a raid team in WoW, and when we narrowly succeed in getting a boss down, someone has started sometimes saying, "Nice job, boys!" and my immediate, instinctual, gut reaction is to feel like, "What, are you saying the girls didn't do a good job? :( " and then I have to stop and consciously tell myself that they probably didn't mean it that way. (Note that nearly 1/3 of the group is female.)

It doesn't bother me to the point that I feel like I need to interrupt the raid to call it out(too non-confrontational, don't want to get the reputation as That Guy), but I definitely notice it and as someone who's already got self-esteem issues I can see that tiny feeling of exclusion wearing me down over time if it continues. If they were to say "Nice job, guys!" instead, it wouldn't bother me a bit. It wouldn't register on my radar as out-of-place at all.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is you stance on calling a group of people (gender non-specific), guys or dudes?

I'm very good as using They and Them when addressing to a non-binary directly. But when I'm friendly to an entire group I say things like "What up dudes" or "How are you guys doing". Very rarely do I ever address a group of women as "Ladies" or "Girls". I always feel guy & dude are more gender non-specific when it speaks to a crowd. I could say "Hello everyone", but to me that doesn't seem friendly or personal.

I overthink these things, don't mind me.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Not being a native English speaker, to my mind "guys" seems like a common word that is used to refer to all kinds of groups. Don't seem to hear "boys" as much, and when I do it's usually smaller groups of close friends.

I can see how either can be interpreted as exclusionary to non-male people though.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about you guys, but I've been seeing a lot more obviously feminine usernames on PSN/XBL than I did last console gen (not to mention the otherwise invisible enby folk.) If I gotta make some small changes to my vocabulary to make them feel welcome, I'm gonna do it. Cuz sure at shit there's plenty of people out there going out of their way to make them feel unwelcome.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thats why threads like these are helpful. They at least remind us to be aware of what we are saying and why saying certain things can be hurtful to others.

This is true, however I believe threads like these are fighting against an irrevocable tide of societal language shift.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
guys is gender neutral to me, and ive always heard women use it too.

I do like the sound of BOYS when talking to a squad, but if there is a woman involved I never say it.

Doesn't seem hard.

Nov 23, 2017
I understand where you're coming from, but at the end of the day, you're asking people to conform to your single request instead of the other way around. Instead of not being offended by the innocuous term of "boy", you're asking everyone else to change. I understand being offended by something isn't necessarily a choice, but you do choose how to react to things. Nobody is trying to offend you with the term "boy". It's language. Not only that, it has long lost it's strict definition of "male", and can now also mean "this group of chums". And in this case, it's very clearly the latter.

On top of all this, it's only 1 word that you specifically are offended by. You aren't offended by "guy", despite it being nearly the exact same word in every way as "boy" aside from connotations with juveniles as opposed to adults when used to describe a specific person (which in this case is completely moot).

Compound that with the tens of thousands of other people that are offended by different, yet equally innocuous terms, and you can see how confusing that can become.

This sounds like your own personal request to everyone on planet earth to conform to language that doesn't slightly offend you. To me, that's ridiculous.

EDIT: Also, we've already had this thread.
Ive never seen such a dumb post from someone who at the same time thinks they are saying something profound or useful. Just dreadful honestly. Just admit you are too lazy to change basic, easy things to accommodate oppressed people without trying to make YOURSELF the victim, cause you're not.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I personally don't ever (or rarely) use that vernacular but it's always struck me as informal to the point of ridiculousness like "let's go, girls!" is a similarly cartoonish girl power slogan.

Intent has already been discussed, but I've seen/heard girls use the "boys" thing to be goofy (which is the assumed intent) and vice versa.

Last edited:
OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you are not willing to discuss, why start the thread?
I read the OP yet I stand by my opinion. Why not elaborate instead of just pointing to your OP?

You asked why this is in gaming, and the OP explains this and the question has been answered numerous times.

If you read the OP and the thread, you would know what my position is on this without asking me to repeat myself. I am willing to discuss, but for answers to simple questions that have been answered... read the thread.

If you wold like me to elaborate on any point I've made, please ask.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You asked why this is in gaming, and the OP explains this and the question has been answered numerous times.

If you read the OP and the thread, you would know what my position is on this without asking me to repeat myself. I am willing to discuss, but for answers to simple questions that have been answered... read the thread.

If you wold like me to elaborate on any point I've made, please ask.

I'm not sure if this has been asked of you yet OP but:

If at some point "boys" becomes widely accepted as gender neutral (as Dude and Guy have), would you still expect people to use more specific terms to refer to groups without knowing your individual preferences?

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's made me very weary to participate in some social games I enjoy. I feel ya, it adds up, especially when it's both in and outside of games.
I knew if I brought it up in the discord today I would be met with either dismissive attitudes or hostility, and I got the former. I'm also knew it would colour people;s opinions of me going forward, maybe even put people off grouping up with me or joining the PC clan I run.

Do I ignore it and take the small punches?
Or do I speak up and take the unsaid and maybe even unconscious prejudices?

I hate that I have to choose this so often.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I use "guys" as a catch-all and I hate it! Everytime it escapes my lips I internally damn myself. I really want to break from it, it's so damn ingrained.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I must be missing something. Are we talking a about a particular game? I rarely if ever see anyone use boys to refer to women. And when they do it's usually in jest

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely don't like the idea of 'boys' becoming a more frequently used term to refer to a group of people, but I've never had an issue with 'guys', and prefer we continue using that instead.

A much bigger issue I have, honestly, is the over-prevalence of people using male pronouns to refer to non-gender defined people or animals. Like we really do have an issue with treating the male sex as default.

EDIT: I should clarify that I'm 100% aware of the fact that "guys" is a very gendered term, I just... don't see it that way, I guess. Ha...

Last edited:

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
I very much actively avoid using boys or guys unless I know that it is indeed a group of only boys/guys.

Not trying to be PC or anything I just don't want to grammarically wrong.

Usually I use "people" instead.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty simple. If asked to stop, just be polite and oblige. Dont be a dick and keep pushing it regardless of how you use it. That being said, I use "motherfuckers" as my group descriptor.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this has been asked of you yet OP but:

If at some point "boys" becomes widely accepted as gender neutral (as Dude and Guy have), would you still expect people to use more specific terms to refer to groups without knowing your individual preferences?
I very much doubt the word for adolescent males will become ubiquitous to mean all. Like others have said, try using the word boys to refer to all in a diverse group in a professional or even IRL social setting and see what the responses are.

It's this way in gaming because gaming is a boys club still, and gender identity is denounced by so many.

So the fight is still on.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I don't know why anyone would choose any collective noun for a group of people that isn't "assbutts" frankly.

Let's go, assbutts!
Where we dropping you assbutts?
What's the fuck's up, you assbutts?
Where my assbutts at?
You assbutts ready?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
guys is gender neutral to me, and ive always heard women use it too.

I do like the sound of BOYS when talking to a squad, but if there is a woman involved I never say it.

Doesn't seem hard.
I prefer Bro at that point.

The only people I call "my boy" or "boi" are people I know who identify as male.

I think the only time I'd use Boy (or Boi) to address to any gender is when I reference God of War because someone made a mistake, needs guidance, or I'm trying to obnoxiously get their attention because their distracted.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
That'd be a really weird phrase as it's not common, but I woundnt be offended.
I think "ladies" is the more common verbage rather than "girls" I hear people say all the time "alright let's do this ladies" and other variants of that.

I don't really have a ton of say on what people should or should not be bothered by since. I can only really provide what I think feels odd to me as an outside observer to this. Personally, when I say stuff like "where we droppin' boys" or things like that, it's usually coy quotes towards people I know that I'm trying to be funny with more than genuinely address the group. I actually can't think of any time that "boys" is used in a genuine manner for general group addressal like "guys" commonly is. And since the word "boys" isn't an inherently derogatory word that doesn't have any weight to it's existence, I feel the coy usage of it shouldn't really be taken beyond that. But if someone is purposefully misgendering people that's extremely fucked up and should not be tolerated.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not being a native English speaker, to my mind "guys" seems like a common word that is used to refer to all kinds of groups. Don't seem to hear "boys" as much, and when I do it's usually smaller groups of close friends.

I can see how either can be interpreted as exclusionary to non-male people though.

Guys is informal and absolutely non-gendered.

A Fall Guy can be a male or female as can a Wise Guy.

This thread happened before and is once again trying to rewrite the English language.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeh, quick test:

How many of you defending the use of Boys would be happy if we replaced it with Girls? Be honest.

RESPONSE TO REPLIES

RE: responses to that latest question in thread:

This is what I expected I think. When you're not part of a group of people who has been under represented/denied, the idea of it won't really hurt you. You have so much representation and affirmation of your gender identity that you're bullet proof here.

Honestly, I was a silly question to ask because of this.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Ive never seen such a dumb post from someone who at the same time thinks they are saying something profound or useful. Just dreadful honestly. Just admit you are too lazy to change basic, easy things to accommodate oppressed people without trying to make YOURSELF the victim, cause you're not.

......what in the hell are you on about? When did I insinuate I was a victim? I think it's profound? You sure are assuming a whole hell of a lot.

I don't even say boys when talking to a group. I say guys. (Though regardless, if I did say boys, the issue still stands)

I've NEVER heard a single person say they were offended by "boys" in my life. Not until OP.

So if one person says you should do something, you should start doing it?

Do you realize how insane that sounds?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I very much doubt the word for adolescent males will become ubiquitous to mean all. Like others have said, try using the word boys to refer to all in a diverse group in a professional or even IRL social setting and see what the responses are.

It's this way in gaming because gaming is a boys club still, and gender identity is denounced by so many.

So the fight is still on.

Professional word use is always going to differ from casual word use.

I'm not quite as sure as you that it's usage won't continue to bleed into common parlance. However I will continue to feel weird if anyone calls a group of mixed gender "boys" in real life.