• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Exactly, it's about context, tone, etc... with the word pal and always has been.
Earlier in the thread you scoffed at the idea that pal could ever be offensive, and seemingly didn't know about it's usage in the north of England. Now context is the determining factor? There are people who I grew up with that will understand pal as confrontational regardless of context. That is, if you asked them the definition of the word, they'd probably say something along the lines of "someone who's about to get decked".

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Earlier in the thread you scoffed at the idea that pal could ever be offensive, and seemingly didn't know about it's usage in the north of England. Now context is the determining factor? There are people who I grew up with that will understand pal as confrontational regardless of context. That is, if you asked them the definition of the word, they'd probably say something along the lines of "someone who's about to get decked".

If pal is really considered negative in some places of the world, like super aggro regardless of tone or context, I'll learn that when I go there and adjust my language.

As someone else already asked you, stop the whataboutism now. This thread is about the word boys.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
If pal is really considered negative in some places of the world, I'll learn that when I go there and adjust my language.
I think that's pretty noble of you, and you honestly probably go to greater lengths to avoid offending people than I do. If you think that's the best way to go about it for you, I respect that.

I don't really think it's whataboutism to discuss the broader topic of words having power that some or most people don't always acknowledge when they use them.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Cheers for this astro its something I had never even considered before in my everyday use of language, my excuse would be that since I am straight and male ive never really had to examine the way my use of language effects others, but that's a shit excuse and I am doing my best to get better.

So thank you, i'll Do my best to try and make my language less gendered and more inclusive, if it only ever makes one person I encounter feel happier and more welcome, it will be 100% worth it.

Jan 20, 2019
I used to be guilty of this same thing for a while, likely just due to my social circle using "dude" and "man" a lot. But I learned why it's not great to do so, and have since been so thankful to live in a region where "y'all" is entirely appropriate.

As someone who is not "one of the boys", I still want to be included and appreciate every effort made to do so by others and thus try to be just as inclusive when addressing people.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I get it, but it's tough. I guess none of my female friends have ever given enough of a shit to say "don't call me 'dude'", so it's been stuck in vocabulary for my entire life. I've tried to be more careful, but it slips out every now and again.

'Guys' is a term I use when addressing a group, socially (my social group is 60% female) and professionally. Again no ones called me out on it. I'm pretty built, but far from intimidating, i'd like to think they'd be quite open with me if I offended them with it, especially as they're not shy to tell me off for many other things! :)

Boys is quite common here in the UK, but I don't think I've ever referred to women under this... it weirdly seems more specific, even though it's not really any different. Like "lads".

I don't know, i think it's ok for people to be annoyed by the use of the terms, but it should be easy to differentiate between those who have good intentions and mean it as a term of endearment compared to complete bellends. I wouldn't give people a hard time about it, but I think if you ask people nicely you'll mostly have a positive outcome and maybe an apology. The person will think more before addressing you and might even put it into practice with others. It doesn't fix the issue with people saying it in the long term, but that's a BIG change for the world to get used to and doesn't happen overnight.

i think most people understand issues like this, but don't respond well to people getting angry and "preachy", (which i know isn't the point, but we have to understand it to change it). So it becomes a confrontation and nothing gets solved when both people are in defence mode.

I'll try to phase it out of my vocabulary, but don't be too angry if i say it by mistake.

FreshPots

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Drive-by trolling, account still in junior phase
giphy.gif

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
If pal is really considered negative in some places of the world, I'll learn that when I go there and adjust my language.

As someone else already asked you, stop the whataboutism now. This thread is about the word boys.
Which is the right approach, because you recognise that language has regional and contextual variance. The difficulty in continuing this discussion will be that I don't understand why discussing that any further is considered a "whataboutism" rather than a natural extension of the conversation.

Perhaps I don't understand ERA etiquette, but if I agree that "boys" is an incorrect way of labelling mixed-gender groups and could make people feel excluded, and I've never used it that way and never will, does that have to be the end of it? That seems like a rather shortsighted way to make progress.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I think this is a huge problem in the games community where you're viewed as male by default unless willing to declare otherwise. You realise how intimidating it can be for a woman to speak in a game full of men who all have the same of attitude of presuming they're among only men?

Who needs a declaration? A simple "Hello" would suffice. If I only hear male sounding voices I will use a male noun. It's not malicious.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers for this astro its something I had never even considered before in my everyday use of language, my excuse would be that since I am straight and male ive never really had to examine the way my use of language effects others, but that's a shit excuse and I am doing my best to get better.

So thank you, i'll Do my best to try and make my language less gendered and more inclusive, if it only ever makes one person I encounter feel happier and more welcome, it will be 100% worth it.
You're good people :)

I think all persons should be addressed as gamers

You are the monster.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Just for the record, this isn't a burner account; I just happen to be new, hence my questions about etiquette.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty easy for me: boys doesn't affect me but it obviously does affect you, astro. So I'm going to try to catch myself in the future. It's just a measure of respect, not sure why people have a hard time with it.
On the surface it looks easy, but we learned in this thread that in some parts of the world other words like "guys", "mate" and "pal" can also offend people. Do you really want to erase all potential harmful terms of the world from your vocabulary?
Also in my point of view, "boys" doesn't strictly mean "male". Terms can be flexible if the context changes, and if the context is correct, the term "boys" has nothing to do with the meaning "male"

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Which is the right approach, because you recognise that language has regional and contextual variance. The difficulty in continuing this discussion will be that I don't understand why discussing that any further is considered a "whataboutism" rather than a natural extension of the conversation.

Perhaps I don't understand ERA etiquette, but if I agree that "boys" is an incorrect way of labelling mixed-gender groups and could make people feel excluded, and I've never used it that way and never will, does that have to be the end of it? That seems like a rather shortsighted way to make progress.
The only possible way I can interpret it, is that each specific term needs it's own thread? Evidently the wider topic of language being offensive in ways that is not always easy to understand isn't really going to get discussed here. I guess that would be more of an etcetera thread to be honest.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Evidently the wider topic of language being offensive in ways that is not always easy to understand isn't really going to get discussed here.
It's not going to get discussed when you attempt to bring up whataboutisms in a thread with clear context.

The word "boys" being used in a male dominant society to refer to people who are excluded BY that dominance is not "offensive in ways that is not always easy to understand". It's clear why this is harmful and why it should not be used.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd never use 'boys' unless it was a group of men. I'd probably use 'guys' because amongst my circles that's been gender neutral for as long as I can remember, but as seen in this thread, this can change and there's no point in arguing against it. If we need to change our language for inclusivity then that's good!

Couldn't we just say 'everyone' instead?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd never use 'boys' unless it was a group of men. I'd probably use 'guys' because amongst my circles that's been gender neutral for as long as I can remember, but as seen in this thread, this can change and there's no point in arguing against it. If we need to change our language for inclusivity then that's good!

Couldn't we just say 'everyone' instead?
"Sup everyone?"

"Where we droppin' everyone?"

giphy.gif

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
The only possible way I can interpret it, is that each specific term needs it's own thread? Evidently the wider topic of language being offensive in ways that is not always easy to understand isn't really going to get discussed here. I guess that would be more of an etcetera thread to be honest.
It's a discussion I'd like to have, but if it's derailing this thread then yes, we can absolutely take it elsewhere. Within the absolute confines of this topic, I obviously agree that calling a collective of people "boys" is wrong unless you know they're all male. And even then it's not a word that's really part of my vocabulary in any context except referring to the male kids at my daughter's school.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I replied on the previous thread I think. I watch a lot of twitch and I hear this shit all the time. "Let's go boys" or "Let's go lads" probably started out as people just memeing, but now it's become part of the vernacular of a lot of streamers. I agree with op with its usage, but mostly I'm just sick of fucking hearing it. If confronted with the request to tone it down, these reactionary gamers will probably have some sort of "heated gaming moment" and spew the n word and call us sjw cucks.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I replied on the previous thread I think. I watch a lot of twitch and I hear this shit all the time. "Let's go boys" or "Let's go lads" probably started out as people just memeing, but now it's become part of the vernacular of a lot of streamers. I agree with op with its usage, but mostly I'm just sick of fucking hearing it. If confronted with the request to tone it down, these reactionary gamers will probably have some sort of "heated gaming moment" and spew the n word and call us sjw cucks.
Honestly, those responses I can laugh at as they're absurd (minus hate speech of course).

The ones that hit more are the ones I mentioned in the OP, like "sure I'll not use it if you're so offended, but I'm rolling my eyes pretty hard right now".

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
What's wrong with

"Where we droppin'?" when you're talking to a group, do you need to actually reference the group itself?
It actually feels unnatural to me to say that sentence without a collective noun, which is strange to think about. If I were in a game with just one individual I wouldn't feel the need to say "dude" or "man" or that person's name, but for some reason it feels almost mandatory when I'm talking to a group. Which is interesting insofar as it reveals how natural particular ways of speaking can become.

Last edited:

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Not the same but I have a friend who is transitioning and still dresses like a guy 90 percent of the time when she is with me. I slip up and say "brother" a lot and that sucks cause i know it makes her feel shitty but I am in no way doing it in a negative way or on purpose. She was just my guy friend for 20 plus years so its hard to adjust. I totally get where you are coming from Astro, just remember some of us might slip up every now and then with no ill intentions. Habits are hard to break, especially when it comes to verbage, but ill do my best to avoid using guys as a general term from now on.

Perfect example in this post, I used he and him for pronouns when talking about my friend and had to go back and change them. Shit is tough to remember sometimes

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017

I watch a lot of Twitch, too, and you're right about it being absolutely everywhere.

"Let's go, boys!"

And you can usually hear the inflective emphasis on the "boys" part. Make no mistake. This isn't some innocuous vernacular. It was meant to be against inclusivity and held as a counter to perceived attacks on male gamers or SJW infiltration or whatever. At its best, it's used ironically and even then it just sounds corny.

astro is 100% right on this. It needs to go.

RazielCuts

Oct 28, 2017
'Boys' to me feeds into the 'Bro' culture and is almost synonymous with each other, whenever I've heard/ seen it, I've always thought it was with meme intent - poking fun at the actual dudebro mentality out there.

Lads is more generic to me but maybe that's a UK/ Ireland-ism that I'm used to. I use 'guys' as a collective catch all for a group in text but never in normal speech, which is strange now that I think about it.

I usually just say 'everyone' or 'people' - I've never bought into the assumption of him/ her in everyday life and just go with 'they' but that's just a subconscious thing for me. I don't know why we need to be so specific when talking about people collectively in general *shrugs*

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I work in an office that is like 99% women and it always strikes me when they refer to each other with phrases like "okay guys" in this context its really absurd and you see just how ingrained it is.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the surface it looks easy, but we learned in this thread that in some parts of the world other words like "guys", "mate" and "pal" can also offend people. Do you really want to erase all potential harmful terms of the world from your vocabulary?
Also in my point of view, "boys" doesn't strictly mean "male". Terms can be flexible if the context changes, and if the context is correct, the term "boys" has nothing to do with the meaning "male"

This is a lot of words to say you don't want to do it

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I work in an office that is like 99% women and it always strikes me when they refer to each other with phrases like "okay guys" in this context its really absurd and you see just how ingrained it is.

There's nothing "ingrained" about language evolution. Guys is non-gendered in certain contexts, it's as simple as that. There is no problem with word meaning and usage shifting over time.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I watch a lot of Twitch, too, and you're right about it being absolutely everywhere.

"Let's go, boys!"

And you can usually hear the inflective emphasis on the "boys" part. Make no mistake. This isn't some innocuous vernacular. It was meant to be against inclusivity and held as a counter to perceived attacks on male gamers or SJW infiltration or whatever. At its best, it's used ironically and even then it just sounds corny.

I dunno, it's not exactly a new phrase and I strongly doubt it's a surreptitious attack on progressives. The latter seems a bit much.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
There's nothing "ingrained" about language evolution. Guys is non-gendered in certain contexts, it's as simple as that. There is no problem with word meaning and usage shifting over time.

Sure Jan, I get that.

But women speaking to groups of women referring to themselves as men by default when there are words to describe groups that aren't men, says it all.

Its no coincidence that the world is crafted and shaped in almost exclusively Male terms and perspective opposed to say... language evolving and calling groups of people gals, girls or ladies.

First and foremost the world has been primarily focused on addressing guys above all else.

So even in a company off nearly all women, lead by nearly all women, they are still steeped in the world of men.

I dare say men would notice and not appreciate being referred to as girls all the time and would in fact chime in with: uhm actually, I'm a guy so why are you saying "girls"

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

"Let's go, boys!"

That is a bold claim, do you think that every time it is used the person using it is consciously trying to exclude women?

Sure Jan, I get that.

But women speaking to groups of women referring to themselves as men by default when there are words to describe groups that aren't men, says it all.

They aren't referring to themselves as men, they are referring to themselves as the group "guys" which is non-gendered.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not the same but I have a friend who is transitioning and still dresses like a guy 90 percent of the time when she is with me. I slip up and say "brother" a lot and that sucks cause i know it makes her feel shitty but I am in no way doing it in a negative way or on purpose. She was just my guy friend for 20 plus years so its hard to adjust. I totally get where you are coming from Astro, just remember some of us might slip up every now and then with no ill intentions. Habits are hard to break, especially when it comes to verbage, but ill do my best to avoid using guys as a general term from now on.

Perfect example in this post, I used he and him for pronouns when talking about my friend and had to go back and change them. Shit is tough to remember sometimes

I have a trans acquaintance I have only met a few times, she still uses her male given name. I let "hey man" slip a few months ago after spending weeks thinking about our next meeting and how much effort I would make to not do that. The simple fact I associate her given name with a male response makes it so hard for me to rid myself of the reflex.

It's easy to try, it's fucking hard to un-learn.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
This is a lot of words to say you don't want to do it
I already said in a previous post that I don't really want to do it. If someone in my circle gets offended by term, I understand and respect it and will not use it in front of them (however the person probably has first to be proactive and tell me that. It can quickly happen that I forget that a term might make some feel excluded) . But when said person is not in the circle anymore, I wouldn't mind to use a term, that I classify myself as "harmless", again.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
For me, the main difference is that when 'mate' and 'pal' are deployed with faux-friendliness as in the example given (I've run into it in pubs myself), the context is evident, usually singular and completely different to when addressing a group, as 'friends', in a clear 'let's do this' way. That's because the UK hostile use of 'pal' is usually singular, sarcastic, immediately confrontational and directed specifically at the target to let them know exactly how much they aren't your friend.

You wouldn't call someone 'boy' as singular if you knew they would directly understand your meaning as insulting, threatening or an assumption of authority over them. That's why so many concede that they wouldn't call an individual something they didn't want, even if they don't want to change their usage as a whole.

The plural use of 'pals' or 'mates' in the context of being addressed at strangers in an online lobby before starting a team game is more relevant here. The context is clearer, a general well-meaning, sweeping usage as 'we are all friends'. When you use 'boys' to do that instead, even when well-meaning as a 'friends' or 'everyone', it's still rooted in a male-as-default thing, whereas the issue with the faux-friendliness of addressing someone as 'pal', 'mate' etc in some areas is rooted in singular, direct or sarcastic confrontation instead.

Essentially someone saying 'hey pals lets do this' and 'knock it off pal' are very different in context as the former is clearly much friendlier in the context of pre-mission chat and the latter is it's use as singular rebuke/threat, but 'boys', when addressed at a mixed group, is still always rooted in male-as-default no matter whether it's hostile or well-meant as 'everyone'.

Last edited:

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already said in a previous post that I don't really want to do it. If someone in my circle gets offended by term, I understand and respect it and will not use it in front of them (however the person probably has first to be proactive and tell me that. It can quickly happen that I forget that a term might make some feel excluded) . But when said person is not in the circle anymore, I wouldn't mind to use a term, that I classify myself as "harmless", again.

It's just about respect. When I told my friend that I didn't want him to use "retarded" because I found it gross and shitty, he said "oh okay, that's cool, sorry" and hasn't said it since. He didn't throw up a fit about context and this and that. I'm not saying boys on its surface is like retarded, but what I am saying is that it's just about respect. You indicate this in your post, when someone asks you not to use something in your circle of friends, you do so. That's all this is.

You don't want to do it? Fine, but I don't see why so many people are twisting themselves in knots to justify it. At least fucking own it.

"Sup everyone?"

"Where we droppin' everyone?"

"Hey could you treat me with some respect?"
"No, but I'll come up with some shitty non sequitur to justify why not."

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't want to do it? Fine, but I don't see why so many people are twisting themselves in knots to justify it. At least fucking own it.

I'm sure many people "twisting themselves into knots" to justify word usage would be perfectly fine to drop a specific word if a good friend asked them.

This isn't a close group of friends, so justification and discussion are natural.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure many people "twisting themselves into knots" to justify word usage would be perfectly fine to drop a specific word if a good friend asked them.

This isn't a close group of friends, so justification and discussion are natural.

One should justify and discuss things with a group of friends as well. I think it's a combination of people not liking being told what words to say and internet culture. If astro had asked a particular person from this thread in person about this, I'd bet their reaction would be different.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Strange enough I just launched in Apex as I opened this thread and as we dropped Gibraltar says the line "Let's do this bros', even with Wraith in our squad. Just shows how ingrained some terms.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
Sorry, but shouldn't this thread be in the EtcetEra section?

I didn't even read a game reference in the OP.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One should justify and discuss things with a group of friends as well. I think it's a combination of people not liking being told what words to say and internet culture. If astro had asked a particular person from this thread in person about this, I'd bet their reaction would be different.

Of course it would be different... but if astro wasn't a mainstay in their social circles, any request at moderation of language use would fall on deaf ears.

This is a discussion forum however, where many thousands of people are going to read and have an opinion that's not shaped by a personification of astro.

Sorry, but shouldn't this thread be in the EtcetEra section?

I didn't even read a game reference in the OP.

It's a gaming culture phenomena that isn't as much reflected in real life.