• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There wasn't any warning on this happening soon that I noticed.

This is the ATLUS-published games in the series, and true of the PS4 version. I imagine it is true of Vita too, but I haven't checked yet. If you're interested in these, pick up physical copies now before the price hikes.

On a personal note, these are my favourite games of all time and the best localisations I've ever encountered, so I'm sad to see them go. Unsure what this means for potential future releases of the Mask duology in the West.

Thanks to Flevance who brought this to my attention in the Visual Novel Community Thread

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
any chance this comes back under a different publisher like those Spike Chunsoft games?

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
dang, i just got them physically like less than a week ago (haven't got the package yet)
dodged a big bullet here.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
any chance this comes back under a different publisher like those Spike Chunsoft games?
Depends. It's an in-house localisation from ATLUS. They've been released with that translation on PC by Shiravune and DMM Games, but that's a bit different. I'd be very surprised to see ATLUS' localisation relisted by NISA, who are now publishing the rest of the series in the West.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Better grab the physical copies on ebay ASAP then.

I got mine a while back pretty cheap but haven't played yet.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy. I have Mask of Deception still in it's wrapper so good to know it's there when I decide to finally play it!

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
These were published by Atlus, Zan and Prelude are published by NISA, and the PC versions are published by a third company.

The contract with Atlus is probably over, but I'd expect these games to return later with another publisher, likely NISA. I wonder if DLC will be compatible (though IIRC they're not at all relevant).

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. These were always on my "I'll def get to them eventually" list. That really sucks to see them delisted. Maybe it's time to pick them up on steam then

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Vita too. Prelude and its DLC are the only things that come up when you search Utawarerumono.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez that's so sudden... Hopefully they'll come up with another publisher. Does Atlus usually do surprise delistings like this?

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just checked and Dungeon Travellers 2 is still up. At least not all of their Aquaplus games are gone.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Would be a bit strange, but given the other ATLUS Aquaplus titles are still available, maybe this is indicative of a Switch collection incoming from another publisher?

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought the bundle on sale last year and only had Deception downloaded... that's some real bullshit. This is why I only go digital for really good sales and when it's the only option. Seriously fuck digital.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just bought the bundle on sale last year and only had Deception downloaded... that's some real bullshit. This is why I only go digital for really good sales and when it's the only option. Seriously fuck digital.
You should still be able to download them, you just can't purchase them anymore.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You should still be able to download them, you just can't purchase them anymore.

Yeah when I checked my purchased tab I didn't see it and got pissed. Turns out I was only looking at my installed games lol. First time dealing with something like this so I wasn't sure how it worked. That's a relief.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Hopefully they're put back up soon, or at least under a different publisher or something. They're wonderful games.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Surprise delisting strikes again. Hopefully any licensing stuff gets sorted out and they come back. I've got my vita copies around here somewhere...

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Any issues with the PC versions over the PS4 ones? I'd heard that the PC ports maybe had some issues but I'm not sure if it's just "these aren't improved at all over the PS4 games" or if there are specific reasons the PS4 ones would be better.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
The Vita versions are still available on the webstore, although I would imagine not for long given the PS4 versions are gone.

Glad I got physical copies of both of these. Should probably pick up Prelude of the Fallen sooner rather than later though.

Oddly Tears to Tiara II (PS3) and Dungeon Travelers 2 (Vita) are still up on the store, so this seems like a baffling delisting.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Gonzo on the Canadian side too.

If this is anything like the Danganronpa delist, the Vita versions aren't coming back. I hope that's not the case. Would it kill them to give us a heads up? Common dude.

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
Any issues with the PC versions over the PS4 ones? I'd heard that the PC ports maybe had some issues but I'm not sure if it's just "these aren't improved at all over the PS4 games" or if there are specific reasons the PS4 ones would be better.
this is a "these aren't improved at all over the PS4 games" case. the games are locked at 720p 30fps, which is unfortunate but not the end of the world.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not improved, which means text is blurry close up as it's only 720p. 30fps lock. Bugs here and there.

However: the games received patches today on Steam adding auto save and a few other features. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet, but maybe they're better now.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I should use this opportunity to go ahead and get them on Steam, especially since they are on sale. Will the series bundle give me everything?

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
At one point both of these games were on sale for ÂŁ8. Not each... ÂŁ8 for BOTH. And I passed it up.

Now I feel bad. Really hope this isn't a permanent delisting.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Not improved, which means text is blurry close up as it's only 720p. 30fps lock. Bugs here and there.

However: the games received patches today on Steam adding auto save and a few other features. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet, but maybe they're better now.

These games are 720p on ps4? Yikes. Was any of the dlc good? I grabbed Atuy in prelude. Was it just more units ?

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
At one point both of these games were on sale for ÂŁ8. Not each... ÂŁ8 for BOTH. And I passed it up.

Now I feel bad. Really hope this isn't a permanent delisting.
I was a bit concerned that the heavy discount was leading up to a delist. Hate that I was right.
These games are 720p on ps4? Yikes. Was any of the dlc good? I grabbed Atuy in prelude. Was it just more units ?
DLC is just additional units from the Mask games in Prelude - no additional story content. (Just Atuy? I see you too are cultured.)

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
I've literally just started playing Mask of Deception and was hoping to hold off on buying Mask of Truth until I finished but I guess I'll buy it now in case the physical prices shoot up after this. Weird that it happened with no warning, hopefully it's not a permanent delisting as I've been loving the series so far and it'd be great if it was easy for people to get these games and not have to rely on physical copies

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, that sucks. I guess it's good that I'm getting my laptop soon so I can get them on Steam.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I was gonna eventually play this series, seemed interesting, guess I won't anymore.

Physical copies are still available on both PS4 & Vita. If you solely wanted digital copies, they're available on Steam.

Still plenty of options to play them, although it sucks to have those options reduced by two.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Shame, the series is really great. Hopefully Atlus can get a chance to re-list them or another publisher is able to. Luckily, it should be easy to grab physical copies atm and they're all on Steam now.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Get them when you can still in physical, we are talking about atlus release.... it's mean low print.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Saw this on Steam.

question about these games: what's the ratio of visual novel/SRPG? Are there a lot of battles, even optional ones?

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Saw this on Steam.

question about these games: what's the ratio of visual novel/SRPG? Are there a lot of battles, even optional ones?
About 20 battles in the entire 50 hour game. Ratio of battles is a bit higher in Prelude, but expect to be reading visual novel for multiple hours sometimes before another battle. (80/20 split perhaps in Masks, 70/30 in Prelude)

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Physical copies are still available on both PS4 & Vita. If you solely wanted digital copies, they're available on Steam.

Still plenty of options to play them, although it sucks to have those options reduced by two.

Mask of Deception for Vita is going up in price. Probably had a smaller print run than Mask of Truth. The later can be had for a reasonable price.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Depends. It's an in-house localisation from ATLUS. They've been released with that translation on PC by Shiravune and DMM Games, but that's a bit different. I'd be very surprised to see ATLUS' localisation relisted by NISA, who are now publishing the rest of the series in the West.
There's potential for NISA to just outright buy the localization from ATLUS and then reissue the game. Digitally they'd be a different license since NISA would be reissuing through their publisher account and very likely not be able to make it include the old ATLUS listing, but it could easily be republished if they found it worthwhile to spend the money to do so.