• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How cursed are we

• So cursed

Votes: 391 80.5%
  • Not at all

Votes: 30 6.2%
  • Numbers are only numbers

Votes: 65 13.4%

• Total voters

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are superstitious maybe. But you shouldn't be superstitious at all...

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If 6 is lucky, it's right. 3 rights makes a left, and therefore not lucky. Something something, Gaming side is wrong, and I love it just the way it is.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? But it is just a number, i myself do not believe in that typical superstitious. In taiwan, 6 is considered a lucky number.

Saying something like that is pretty inconsiderate because every culture differs in every country. Dont get me wrong, it is okay to have an opinion if lets say you considered 6 as a cursed number, but try not to be too blatant about it

It's a Christian thing. I think it's in the Bible somewhere. 666 is considered a number associated with the Devil.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
The number of the Devil is 616.

The old texts that mentioned the number of the Devil had been mistranslated, it was discovered over a decade ago.

666 is the pop culture number I guess.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
allow me to amplify

Yk2zT36.png

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Obligatory Hail Satan!

On a less serious note if the number of the beast is really 616, and the marvel universe is 616, does that mean the MCU is the antichrist?

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Why 616 though? What is the significance? Or is it one of those just because Christian mythology things?

I'd guess it's either just a made up number or the people who wrote the text based it on something from an older religion. Most of Christian mythology is copied from other religions that existed when Christianity was new (some examples are the ark/flood, virgin birth, the war between angels and demons).

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
Huh? But it is just a number, i myself do not believe in that typical superstitious. In taiwan, 6 is considered a lucky number.

Saying something like that is pretty inconsiderate because every culture differs in every country. Dont get me wrong, it is okay to have an opinion if lets say you considered 6 as a cursed number, but try not to be too blatant about it
It is a reference to the Bible. In the Book of Revelation (13:11-18), it says:

Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb and spoke like a dragon. And he exercises all the authority of the first beast in his presence, and causes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed. He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men. And he deceives those who dwell on the earth by those signs which he was granted to do in the sight of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who was wounded by the sword and lived. He was granted power to give breath to the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak and cause as many as would not worship the image of the beast to be killed. He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666.

For an explanation of the text, here are the notes of the Orthodox Study Bible:

"Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb and spoke like a dragon":
The beast which rose out of the earth with two horns (power) like a lamb (Christ, gentle and giving), and which spoke like a dragon (Satan, whose speech is seductive), is worldly religion. Its minister of propaganda, so to speak, mimics John the Baptist and the Holy Spirit: a false prophet (see 16:13; 19:20; 20:10; Daniel 7:8) calling all to worship the first beast (false divinity). This monster completes the unholy triumvirate: dragon (Satan, false god), beast from the sea (worldly authority and power, false incarnation), and beast from the earth (worldly religion, false prophet): a blasphemous parody of the Holy Trinity.

"He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men":
With a parody of Pentecost, this monstrous cult leader is able to make fire come down from heaven on the earth by means of deception and sorcery (see Matthew 24:24; Acts 13:6โ€“12; Didache 16:3โ€“4)โ€”luring people into making an image to the beast (v. 14; the goddess of Rome or the emperor). Statues were often "brought to life" by sorcery. Irenaeus, Clement, Justin, and Eusebius note that the sorcerer Simon Magus (Acts 8:9โ€“24) used illusion and occult practices to make idols seem alive. This beast is able to enforce the sentence of death on those who will not worship him (see Nebuchadnezzar's statue in Daniel 3).

"He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads":
A parody of God's seal of 7:3, even alluding to the Hebrew phylactery of Deuteronomy 6:8โ€”where God's Law is kept on the forehead and the left handโ€”and to chrismation (but not the same word as "sealed"). The mark is gained by worshiping the beast (v. 17); it signifies the beast is the owner of those who wear itโ€”their protector and the one to whom they owe their livelihoods. This mark is not necessarily a visible and physical mark on the person, but it is required to do business. There is then an economic bias against those who do not bear the beast's mark (the faithful who will not render demonic worship to the state).

"His number is 666":
The letters of the alphabet were used as numbers in ancient times (Roman numerals). Thus, the numerical value of names could easily be calculated. "The name of the beast" (v. 17) is the numerical equivalent of the letters of the name of a man (some texts read "616" instead of the well-known 666). John may be purposefully enigmatic, using a secret code to protect against a charge of sedition. This is a predictably misunderstood passage, for the text itself says it requires wisdom and understanding. In the Bible, the number six stands for falling short, incompleteness, imperfection; seven, for perfection, fullness, completion; eight, for eschatological perfection, a superabundance of fullness (see 2 Enoch 33:1). The sixth day, Friday, is the day of preparation; the seventh, the Sabbath, Saturday, a picture of the rest to come; the eighth day, Sunday, the day of the Resurrection, the final establishment of God's Kingdom. The numerical equivalent of "Jesus" in Greek is 888. The numerical equivalent of "Nero Caesar" transliterated from Greek into Hebrew is 666, meaning the epitome of created inadequacy. The numerical equivalent of "Nero Caesar" transliterated from Latin into Hebrew is 616. If John were referring to Domitian, whom some considered to be Nero reincarnated, it would be safer to refer not to the present persecutor but to the one long gone. Some believe that "666" is a symbol rather than a cryptogram, falling short of perfection in each of its digits: failure upon failure upon failure, an evil trinity which always falls short of the Holy Trinity ("777"). Many have attempted to identify "666," but writing only one hundred years after John, St. Irenaeus had no idea to whom John was referring!

OP
OP
Clefargle

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
It is a reference to the Bible. In the Book of Revelation (13:11-18), it says:

For an explanation of the text, here are the notes of the Orthodox Study Bible:

"Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb and spoke like a dragon":

"He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men":

"He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads":

"His number is 666":

Thank you!

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Why 616 though? What is the significance? Or is it one of those just because Christian mythology things?
Here's my half-remembered theological explanation:

In ancient Hebrew (or possibly Greek), each letter was also assigned to a number. Culturally often words would be interchanged with their numeric equivalents as an abbreviation or metaphor. 616 was the numeric representation of the name of Emperor Nero, who cracked down hard on the early church. Therefore Christianity got the last laugh by dunking on him for eternity and turning his name into the literal devil.

Thinking back, I'm 75% confident this was a real etymological explanation 25% it was a weird conspiracy Youtube video I stumbled upon.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
We're in hell, don't you know that gamers are dead?