• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Sony use this as the final design?

• Yes, it is amazing

Votes: 125 8.3%
  • Absolutely, what a masterpiece

Votes: 213 14.1%
  • Needs more Cerny

Votes: 535 35.5%
  • RIP PS5

Votes: 633 42.0%

• Total voters

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
The developer who leaked the picture of the PS5 Dev Kit retweeted a Kevin Smith tweet lambasting Sony for not agreeing to give Disney the Spider-man deal they wanted. Pure speculation, but could this have been motivation to break his employer's NDA with Sony?

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Any chance these are like PS Now farm machines? Or even a PS Now upgrade? High ventilation and unattractive athestics makes me wonder if this is a machine to be kept behind the scenes.

Do we even know what the PS Now servers look like? It's gotta be more than a bunch of PS4's stitting on top of each other right?

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
tenor.gif

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They name on the o
Any chance these are like PS Now farm machines? Or even a PS Now upgrade? High ventilation and unattractive athestics makes me wonder if this is a machine to be kept behind the scenes.

Do we even know what the PS Now servers look like? It's gotta be more than a bunch of PS4's stitting on top of each other right?

I'd imagine that elaborate custom casing like that for a data center is a waste of money. Also, data centers are often cooled, so I don't think you'd actually have that much internal cooling.

kaf

Technical Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Even though both the PS4/Pro final spec dev kits, pictured multiple times in this thread, have optical drive slots on the front.
Yea, sorry I'm referring to not-final dev kits, I'm assuming the PS5 kit design is not final at this point - seems a bit early for that.

It still seems overly designed for something like this when you see early designs that are fairly featureless like this: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ent-kit-sells-for-thousands-of-pounds-on-ebay and this: https://nintendotoday.com/this-is-the-original-wii-dev-kit-that-shipped-to-developers-10-years-ago/

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im all for funky design, launch that Sony, you cowards.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
If the final PS5 deisgn ends up looking like this one, I don't know how much dust the console can sustain tbh.
Btw, do you remember the suppsoed devkit that was leaked before with the supposed DS5? It looks very different than this one.XD

147636-games-news-are-leaked-ps5-devkit-and-dualshock-5-controller-real-or-fake-image1-vamwrspwbx.jpg

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
If the final PS5 deisgn ends up looking like this one, I don't know how much dust the console can sustain tbh.
Btw, do you remember the suppsoed devkit that was leaked before with the supposed DS5? It looks very different than this one.XD

147636-games-news-are-leaked-ps5-devkit-and-dualshock-5-controller-real-or-fake-image1-vamwrspwbx.jpg
The one who made it admitted it was fake and released a video showing how he faked it iirc.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That might be a test kit (if it says "TEST" instead of "PS2," that's what it is). Test kits are a different class of device--usually much closer to the production model in spec but able to run unsigned code for testing.

Yeah. Damn, lol.

ah yeah, that's right. It said test instead of ps2

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
If that is what the PS5 looks like at launch, I'll wait for the 2nd revision. If they need that much cooling, I'm worried that they will have a shorter lifespan.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Ding ding ding! Bottom one is a base dev kit, top one is a pro.

Yep. And there was an even older devkit before release, which was an even uglier (but smaller) black plastic box that didn't even have proper power and reset buttons, just switches on the motherboard exposed on a cutout and covered by a transparent plastic layer :P

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
If that is what the PS5 looks like at launch, I'll wait for the 2nd revision. If they need that much cooling, I'm worried that they will have a shorter lifespan.

It doesn't actually need that much cooling. The PS5 doesn't just cool itself, it also cools the environment. That's right, the PS5 is Sony's secret plan to save the world from global warming.

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The developer who leaked the picture of the PS5 Dev Kit retweeted a Kevin Smith tweet lambasting Sony for not agreeing to give Disney the Spider-man deal they wanted. Pure speculation, but could this have been motivation to break his employer's NDA with Sony?

The developer kit image was not leaked, it is a patented design discovered by a Brizilian tech website. You can find it through: gru.inpi.gov.br