• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Sony use this as the final design?

• Yes, it is amazing

Votes: 125 8.3%
  • Absolutely, what a masterpiece

Votes: 213 14.1%
  • Needs more Cerny

Votes: 535 35.5%
  • RIP PS5

Votes: 633 42.0%

• Total voters

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
It kinda looks like a pair of futuristic ripped jorts

ca6392962b53c632550e615f3f33e633--denim-shorts-outfit-ripped-jean-shorts.jpg

Speaking of which, how would the PS5 wear its pants?

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Ewwww. Looks like something that either Razer or ASUS ROG would design. So gamer'y.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I think it's ugly, but at the same time I really wouldn't care as it would be put in a cabinet anyway. As long as the thing is cool and silent (no more PS4 jet airplane please), I'm ok with whatever.

Feb 8, 2018
I'll take almost any design if it means power consumption is low as possible and the console remains silent as possible. I doubt the final design will look anything like it. I'm also one of those that believes Pro's design is not horrible. It just looks special when viewed sideways. Lastly, I look at my display not my media center devices when I use them

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Please no. Why do developers always think gaming stuff has to look crazy with colourful lights and some crazy design. Plain is the way to go.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Unlikely it's a dev kit, those are supposed to be practical and versatile, this is everything other than that and would be a huge pain in the ass to have sitting on a desk since you cannot really place anything on top of them without severely obstructing the airflow.

Nah, it's got two rectangular notches on the front two corners for a second kit to sit on top without being able to slide off, just like both PS4 devkits, with that wide open bit on the front for airflow. That's the practical bit. It doesn't need a completely flat top. Look at the PS2 devkit, it's a 3x size PS2 that sits vertically. This is 100% the devkit.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
With all those vents it should be whisper quiet, I'm not having another generation of this jet engine garbage, I'm going to hold off to see who has the quietest machine this time.

Jan 9, 2018
I would not be surprised if they differentiate it from ps4 by having some futurisitc looking design but this isnt final imo

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Looks like the PC engine fucked an aircraft engine and had a baby. A baby that hated itself.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That's probably a devkit, as its bulkiness kinda reminds me of the PS4's devkit.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
It's hideous.

However, there's definitely merit to designing a console that pulls air from the front side of the machine considering how people put their consoles in small enclosures or piled in with other devices with the front side usually open.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's the real consumer device. There were complaints about PS4 fan noise, maybe they designed the PS5 to have massive vents (and heat Sinks) for passive cooling, or minimal active cooling.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Why do devkits have "foots" on the top? are they supposed to be stacked on top of eachother to work as servers?

This design makes sense if its to generate more airflow with stacked consoles.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
that reminds me of the atari jaguar case, in that it wouldn't look out of place if the mold was re-used for medical equipment in a dentist office

5lD3JHNpE1PhoTxoQYrpC_eue-cN-bG080VY40kX5_8.jpg

but yeah the final product will look way different I imagine

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's a very interesting cooling architecture. Most likely not indicative of the final design, but it looks like they're putting an emphasis on airflow and cooling
This design is absolutely hideous but it's encouraging that Sony finally gives a flying fuck about this aspect of their consoles.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'd really abandon the numerical naming.

Like PSV (yes I know vita lol) so it means both 5 and can be a mysterious label like iPhone X, Xr, etc (yes i know it's pronounced iPhone Ten, Ten-R)

I think it will go PS5 but could see them mix up branding with V.

I could see a V shape in the final version but it would be less polarizing probably

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
The valley in the middle is a corn dog warmer. Excess heat is vented here to keep your deep fried wieners fresh.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So you just get hot air in your face?

I hope they don't go PSV instead of PS5. Don't ruin the chain.