• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Sony use this as the final design?

• Yes, it is amazing

Votes: 125 8.3%
  • Absolutely, what a masterpiece

Votes: 213 14.1%
  • Needs more Cerny

Votes: 535 35.5%
  • RIP PS5

Votes: 633 42.0%

• Total voters

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Unless that V has a purpose as some sort of fancy dock, I'd rather my console not look like an edgy toilet seat.

Sony has been king of subdued but unique console designs since the ps3, and I hope they stick to that philosophy for the PS5

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's ugly in the best kind of way. Wouldn't feel out of place in an Aliens movie.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Looks like those cheap Chinese console rip-offs you use to see for 7th generation. I feel bad for those who have to deal with that when developing a game for PS5.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I want Sony to steal this and call it a day.

sony-playstation-5-concept-design_149700791400.jpg

SEGA might

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a devkit. Devkits tend to look different to the final product. Just look at the PS4 devkit. People that think is ugly don't have much to worry about.

hpjayyr8yj211.jpg

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for it being a devkit design, but Sony done goofed if they are considering this for the console.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
I have no idea about tech and shit but from what is rumoured about the PS5, is it likely that at the moment the internals for the PS5 are just running really fucking hot? Because the design just looks like a series of vents, I would assume the internals are generating some serious heat and for now Sony just want a dev kit that won't catch on fire.

Urthor

Oct 28, 2017
There's going to be some very unflattering nicknames if this is the final design, let's just leave it at that

kaf

Technical Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dev kits don't look this extravagant. They are usually just big boxes with a lot of ports and ethernet hook ups.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like one of those routers that Asus or Nighthawk sells. I am sure the final product will be more clean. Obviously.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
Ill just say im glad its only the dev kit. Ive really liked the look of all the Sony consoles, lets stay sleek.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Looks hideous. That being said, how a console looks doesn't effect much for me. Still, glad that won't likely be the actually consumer look of the console.

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I m assuming the 2ghz gpu clock is indeed correct then . Whatever it takes to have 2ghz gpu .I m down

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
If I had to take a guess I'd imagine it's a custom board with a Ryzen 3700 and a 5700 series card soldered onto a custom board. It has one large heatsink with 3 heat pipes going into each side with one (or 2) axial fan(s) exhausting out the bottom on either side.

I doubt AMD has the final SoC design and generally dev kits are stronger than base hardware iirc with far more memory.

I'm probably wrong but it's fun to think about. I just hope to god Sony goes in a route similar to Xbox One S or X for build quality and cooling. Those systems are far easier to clean and service while looking outstanding at the same time.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
If third party devs already have these, I'm kinda surprised we haven't seen an actual photo yet.

This console cycle is some serious deja vu. I remember similar comments being made about the fugly PS4 dev kit and some people wanting it to be the final design while others shat on it as if that's what the final system would look like. Here we go again. As if Sony would even entertain the idea of abandoning their design language to release what appears to be the disfigured offspring of a View Master and a projector.

Also, I'm guessing it has that weird V vent so it can be stackable (notice the slots on top and the same size feet on the bottom, just like the PS4 dev kit) while still allowing for a lot of airflow in the front.

Last edited: