• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
oh wow. I might buy it on Switch just to support the game. It's the fucking best. Might even buy it on PS4 if the price isn't outrageous
If anyone likes cyberpunk, you should try this game out. It's great! Pixel art is superb too

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to recall Nintendo not playing ball or providing dev kits last year to the developer. Good to see it's happening.

Scratch that I'm thinking of the ones handling the Vita port.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I own this game on PC, but I think I might pick it up on Switch and finally play through it.

I like my VNs in bed.

Is the Vita port any good? I might get that one first if it's a decent port.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How's this game for someone who doesn't drink and has no interest in knowing how to mix drinks?

Has Bean

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
How's this game for someone who doesn't drink and has no interest in knowing how to mix drinks?

If you enjoy VNs, you'll likely enjoy the game either way. The drink mixing mechanics are fairly simple and boil down to following a set of instructions and interpreting what the customers want. I personally enjoyed mixing the drinks but it's not the main pull of the game imo.

FantasyZone

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty hype for it. That OST is amazing, and I've been putting off grabbing it on Steam in hopes of a Switch port.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have this on Steam but definitely one of the games I was hoping would come to Switch. Day one!

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! Been waiting for this, was going to bite the bullet and get it but now I'll wait for the PS4 release. Great news.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have literally never heard of this, but if VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action isn't the weirdest game name ever, i don't know what is

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
For some reason, I thought this game was on consoles already!

In for PS4/Vita, but Switch is tempting too...

Oct 27, 2017
So ready to double dip and pick up the Switch version. Came out of nowhere to be one of my favourite games of 2016.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you enjoy VNs, you'll likely enjoy the game either way. The drink mixing mechanics are fairly simple and boil down to following a set of instructions and interpreting what the customers want. I personally enjoyed mixing the drinks but it's not the main pull of the game imo.
Thanks. Hmm. Well, I can say I like the music and aesthetic in the trailer above, but the only VN I've played was Doki Doki Literature Club, and I didn't feel very engaged with it because the gameplay was so sparse. I guess I'm probably better off listening to the OST or watching a playthrough on Youtube.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Really good game. Glad it's getting ported.
You should be fine. The game's meat is in the interesting dialogue with the varied customers that walk into your bar. The drink mixing part is just a driver to that, and isn't terribly complicated.

The basic gameplay loop goes something like: Customer sits down > mix a drink for them > talk about stuff > mix another drink for them > continue conversation > customer leaves. I'm making the game sound more dry than it is, because those conversations are often very interesting. Sometimes the dialog changes depending on the customer's alcohol tolerance, and on the strength of the drinks you gave them.

There's a minor puzzle element to the drink mixing in that sometimes customers ask for something vague like "give me something sweet" instead of an actual drink name, but you have access to a drink mixing book at all times, which gives you plenty of hints as to what counts as "something sweet". But generally the game is mechanically pretty light. It's very much a visual novel first, and everything else second.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What takes them that long to port a game like this...

Seriously. Surprising...

Probably the fact that it's a 2 people studio who are also woking on another upcoming game and that they haven't found another reliable dev to do this until now.

It's likely due to the fact that the engine didn't support Switch officially until now, and they didn't want to manually port it again like they did with Vita because it takes so long and they're a small team.

Now, it's easier and more cost efficient.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really good game. Glad it's getting ported.

You should be fine. The game's meat is in the interesting dialogue with the varied customers that walk into your bar. The drink mixing part is just a driver to that, and isn't terribly complicated.

The basic gameplay loop goes something like: Customer sits down > mix a drink for them > talk about stuff > mix another drink for them > continue conversation > customer leaves. I'm making the game sound more dry than it is, because those conversations are often very interesting. Sometimes the dialog changes depending on the customer's alcohol tolerance, and on the strength of the drinks you gave them.

There's a minor puzzle element to the drink mixing in that sometimes customers ask for something vague like "give me something sweet" instead of an actual drink name, but you have access to a drink mixing book at all times, which gives you plenty of hints as to what counts as "something sweet". But generally the game is mechanically pretty light. It's very much a visual novel first, and everything else second.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Yeah, since (judging by Doki Doki Literature Club, the only VN I've played) I don't feel very engaged with VNs, this probably isn't for me. I do love the style of it, though, as well as the music, so I may watch a playthrough.