• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

At work, should your allotted vacation days and sick days be combined, or managed separately?

• Keep them separate!

Votes: 462 70.6%
  • Combine them!

Votes: 192 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wooden Robot

Oct 27, 2017
Companies do this because they have to pay out remaining vacation days if you leave, but don't have to pay out sick days.

Kwhit10

Oct 27, 2017
We use to have our vacation day and unlimited sick days. Then it changed to combined vacation and sick and sick days (so we got more of a total pool).

One is good for people who are sick a lot and one is better for people who never call out sick. Depends on who you are.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's technically separate at my job, but our management and CEO always lets us use one as the other and vice versa. I always get WAAAAAAAAAY more sick time than I actually need, so it gets used as vacation time more than anything.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
31 vacation days per year here and unlimited* sick days.

* You don't get paid for the first sick day, but if you fall ill again within a couple of days or if there's a chronic illness that makes you have more than 10 sick leaves, you will get paid** for any extra.

** You get a decent*** percentage of your standard pay depending on how many days you've been away.

*** A word describing social security that the US can only dream of, but hey, freedom.
The US has a thing called "Disability Benefits" which is exactly what you are describing.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Don't know how that would work in the UK.

A year I have:

Holiday
30 days paid holiday + 8 Bank Holidays

Sick
6 Months Full Pay + 6 Months Reduced Pay
5 Days Paid Carers Leave(Looking after the kids)
10 Days Paid Companionate Leave (Death)
10 Days Paid Paternity Leave

I've never be in

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
This is weird. So you get an amount of "Sick Days" that's basically a given you should take (or you're losing out) and you have separate holidays. So people basically count sick days in with their allowance of holidays when you think about it...

America is a fucking mental place.

How about you get a full roster of vacation days to take that's equal to what you get now in total including the sick days... Annnnd when you're actually sick you take a proper sick day which is paid for anyway up to a reasonable limit and with a doctor's sign off.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
My days are split between Vacation, Sick and Personal days. Unused Sick and Personal days are paid out at the end of the year while Vacation days carry over. Kind of shitty, but better than some other places I guess. US could definitely use a massive culture change on that front.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
27 days of PTO per year here, and technically unlimited paid sick days, in the UK. "Technically" in the sense that there's no limit on them, but if I was sick for an extended period of time, I'd probably have to have a meeting with HR about why. But I've had up to 10 days sick in previous years and nothing has ever been said to me.

Fucking mad to me that sick days are "counted" at all. If you're sick, you're sick. Sure, in theory, that could be abused, but work still needs to get done sooner or later, so it doesn't really happen.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
That incentivizes going to work sick even more when we culturally already put too much pressure on going to work sick.

I'm tired of having to worry about getting sick from coworkers who should be staying home.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a study that showed people took less time off when there was a single pool of leave?

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
My company used to have separate Vacation days, Sick days and family leave days (gotta take your kid to the doc, use this day).

Now they combine them all into one lump sum. They're all PTO (paid time off) days. Call in sick, use PTO. Go on vacation, use PTO.

As someone who rarely got sick and always had a ton of sick days (and eventually used them...because why not) I like the all or nothing option better.

notpoca

Jan 16, 2018
I have 20 PAID vacation days (just as every other working person in my country,) I have 10 PAID national holidays (just as every other person in my country.) If I'm sick for less than 30 days in a row, I get full pay from my boss. If it last longer, I can slightly less from the nationally funded insurance.

So nah, your system and thus idea suck.

Doesn't everybody have paid holidays? (even in the US)

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
To those saying unlimited sick days, be honest, how many Fridays have you taken "sick"?

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
They're combined where I work. It was great until they started getting pissy when anyone'd take time off that wasn't a vacation planned weeks in advance.

Lowe's schedules your fridge delivery on a Wednesday afternoon? "Can you please schedule these things on weekends going forward." Then why have PTO?

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no, you can't do this, because then you get jabronies coming in when they're sick because they want to save the sick days for vacation days. GTFO with that.

Nov 1, 2017
The problem with this is that most companies will give you less days per year that you would normally have if you added together your sick days and your vacation days. Also you have to not touch a portion of your PTO days in case you get sick towards the end of the year.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I currently get 12 days of sick/PTO time and 15 days of vacation time. Seems to work fine in separate pools. I can plan 3 weeks of vacation every year and take 12 days off randomly whenever I need to. I like it this way.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
This is weird. So you get an amount of "Sick Days" that's basically a given you should take (or you're losing out) and you have separate holidays. So people basically count sick days in with their allowance of holidays when you think about it...

America is a fucking mental place.

How about you get a full roster of vacation days to take that's equal to what you get now in total including the sick days... Annnnd when you're actually sick you take a proper sick day which is paid for anyway up to a reasonable limit and with a doctor's sign off.

So you still want separate sick days with more total than what you're already getting.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't everybody have paid holidays? (even in the US)
Not by law, in the US it's up to the employer whether to offer paid time off for holidays or not, unless the employer is the government. And if they make you work the holiday they aren't required to pay you any more than your normal pay. Admittedly, many companies would have a hard time employing people if they didn't recognize *any* holiday, but every company I've worked for has recognized different holidays for paid time off.

Right now I'm in a bad position where I work *for* a company that only has like 6 holidays per year, but that company contracts me out to work *at* a company that has a whole ton. When the company I work at is closed when the company I work for isn't, I am forced to take a paid vacation day or just not get paid. Because of that I'm currently sitting at -40 vacation hours :) If I ever leave the company, I have to pay those back.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
I hated this. I travel a lot and use all my vacation days every year. At my first job I got a nast case of tonsilitius and missed 7 days a work, which was half of my vacation. That happened in like March. It sucked.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I think combining could be good if it were coming from a place of good faith, but inevitably there would be cutbacks and excuses about being competitive and then there's 5 days total for sick and vacation time.

It kind of sucks having unused leave. I've racked up 18 sick days in a couple years. And that's with a decent chunk of usage this year due to a long illness. It would be nice to just take a week off without burning all of my vacation days.

My work place pays out 10 days of vacation if you leave and have it. Extra sick days get put into retirement at some predefined benefit rate (x days = 1 month of contributions credit) if you're vested. To me this seems more than reasonable.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
I accrue 16.67 hours of PTO each month at my job, and that combines both time off and sick leave.

I'm capped at 240 hours, at which point I'll stop accruing anything, but I'm only at 154.87 hours right now, so I'm good for a while.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
I hated this. I travel a lot and use all my vacation days every year. At my first job I got a nast case of tonsilitius and missed 7 days a work, which was half of my vacation. the thing was we didn't actually get more, the number was still like 15-16 days. If it had doubled like your job I'd be more inclined to agree.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Not by law, in the US it's up to the employer whether to offer paid time off for holidays, unless the employer is the government. Admittedly, many companies would have a hard time employing people if they didn't recognize *any* holiday, but every company I've worked for has recognized different holidays for paid time off. Right now I'm in a bad position where I work *for* a company that only has like 6 holidays per year, but I work *at* a company that has a whole ton. When the company I work at is closed when the company I work for isn't, I am forced to take a paid vacation day or just not get paid.
It is worth pointing out that if you work for a company that doesn't offer paid holidays typically they pay you an additional rate on those days.
Sick days are the most American thing I've ever heard about. Jesus effing Christ.
Plenty of countries have sick day policies.

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Combining them is often a way for employers to fuck you out of time AND it puts your vacations in jeopardy if you have an illness.

At my old job we had separate sick and vacation time. They moved to a single PTO system and fucked everyone out of their accrued sick leave.

I lost nearly 500 hours of banked sick time that went into an essentially inaccessible "backup account" and found myself entering a new year with 48 hours of total time instead of 490 some hours of sick time and two days of vacation. It's bullshit.

Keeping them separate protects you. If you don't get sick enough to use your sick time, why are you even complaining?

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm sitting on 168 sick days..

People definitely abuse the system at work. They don't require a doctors note until over 2 days in a row.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Companies do this because they have to pay out remaining vacation days if you leave, but don't have to pay out sick days.

That isn't true. That's up to companies generally speaking. There may be certain states our countries where that is true, but every company I worked for got rid of this policy pretty fast.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I would hate to get sick and find out I've lost all my holiday time.

I would hate to go on holiday only to get sick and not have any paid sick leave.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been lucky to have cool bosses that let me use sick time for any reason ranging from appointments, days to rest, errands, car repairs, whatever.

For me the only real differentiation is that Vacation should be pre-planned ahead of time while sick can be used at the last minute. While there are two separate buckets (25 vacation and about 8 sick) in practical use they're closely connected.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona law changed recently and my work had to separate them and applied the policy to people working in other states which sucks because it leaves us with less options overall. Having them combined encourages people to use their pto throughout the year rather than saving it all for the end of December. It sucks feeling like that time goes wasted because I was healthy. If I'm going to be sick, I'm taking that time off no matter what, whether I'm getting paid for it or not.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
From a policy standpoint, it's hard to track and document abuse with unlimited sick though.
Yeah, exactly. I've managed one or two people who abused unlimited sick days. We had a soft cap at 25 days and then we had to track them individually after that. Just not worth the administrative work.

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
Check if you can use your sick time for preventative care, such as annual checkups, dental appointments, etc. Some places let you do that and it will make good use of the time.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It is worth pointing out that if you work for a company that doesn't offer paid holidays typically they pay you an additional rate on those days.
But they don't have to if they don't want, it's not law, just how it works because it's harder to find employees when you don't offer paid holidays or at least holiday pay.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I have 29 vacation days, and by law if i get sick they need to give me another day off. So fuck no. I dont want them combined.

In my job its common that you get sick in time for your vacation, then you cant do what you planned and cant use to recover from work stress but instead need to recover from sickness. That would suck.

2 years ago i had 2 days with really bad migraine, hell i will do and give away my precious vacation.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.

This is how it's been everywhere I've worked. Honestly, it's hard enough keeping morons from coming into work sick— when they should be using their accrued sick time— and risk getting the rest of us ill. Combining sick time with vacation time, let alone a policy that pays you out for unused sick time, would only exacerbate the issue as it now gives additional financial incentive to not stay home/see a doctor and take care of yourself.