• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

At work, should your allotted vacation days and sick days be combined, or managed separately?

• Keep them separate!

Votes: 462 70.6%
  • Combine them!

Votes: 192 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
This whole idea comes from the wrong place. Which is not surprising, since it's about labor, and the place it's coming from is the US :p
Seriously, the first time I saw "using sick days" being discussed on the internet I just didn't understand it and couldn't follow the discussion at all.

To those saying unlimited sick days, be honest, how many Fridays have you taken "sick"?

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
To those saying unlimited sick days, be honest, how many Fridays have you taken "sick"?

0, I take maybe one or two sick days a year at the most and that's when I'm so sick that I can't even work from home.

Unlimited sick days doesn't mean that every Friday can be taken off as "sick", that's an abuse of the system and the company will notice it and you will get a warning.

I feel like there's a lot of mistrust between employers and employees in the US(most of it on the employer side).

Shizza

Oct 27, 2017
They're combined at my office into general PTO time. I'm cool with that though since I've taken 1 sick day in the last 10 years, and can make use of the time off that would otherwise go to waste.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I just learned of the existence of "sick days" due to this thread and what the fuck. If you're sick, you're sick. 25-30 vacation days + unlimited sick days. Man, your worker's rights are a fucking mess y'all.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
The concept of limited sick days is inhuman and should be cause for massive and widespread protest.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
We have that in psyonix! We used to have it seperate but i like combining them. Gives me more time to travel. I think i get 28 days PTO since i've been there so long now.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

None. I actually haven't taken a sick day yet in the last couple of years, though I probably should have on an occasion or two.

Really stupid to come in when you have unlimited but still cough and wheeze at work and very unfair to the other healthy employees.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I wish I had a job with vacation and sick days. I haven't worked in almost a month because of surgery I had to have because of my job and I'm out of money. I'm starting to dip into what little savings I have to make it until I can work again.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
32 vacation days sounds glorious.

Mine are combined. I think I get 15 PTO days. Only 4 unpaid days before trouble starts.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
when my company had everything rolled into one people abused the hell out of it. just a huge morale killer for everybody else getting up at 5AM and putting in an honest 40 hr+ week

KaladinSB

Oct 27, 2017
I live in America and have unlimited sick days.

Pretty nice but unless its really nasty, I'll usually just work from home to avoid spreading whatever I have.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I agree, people around me taking sick days like nobodies business and i'm just sitting here like a doofus.
You have to stop being such a " trooper" . I used to take no sick days but then I realized there were actually days I was exhausted or had a headache or was stressed out when I should just stay home and recoup . I plan to take about 6 days per year now and I know about when but if I feel run down I take that shit off. Last week I woke up feeling pretty beat down and then heard there was accident on my commute.... pulled the plug right there.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I love working in a company that has unlimited PTO that people actually use. I've taken around 4-5 weeks off total for the whole year and that doesn't include sick days or work from home days.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Keep them separate.

But, at my job we can combine it on the time sheet of we want.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
I get 32 days annual leave and unlimited sick leave. I use as little sick leave as I can.

As someone with a chronic health condition, it's a terrible idea to automatically combine the two types of leave because they are completely different (although an employee should be offered the option of they would like).

Nov 7, 2017
Limited sick days? Is this an American thing?

*Limited paid sick days

At least in my job (San Francisco) you can call out as many times as you want but
-you have a paid sick time hours and if you run out it just means you have to burn your PTO
-you need a doctor's note if you call out more than 2 days in a row

I think California has mandatory sick leave? Not sure about other states

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, when you're sick, you take time off work to recuperate.

You take a vacation, on the other hand, to take some time to live a little, outside of work.

Both are essential, and neither should take away from the other.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have sick time. If I want paid for days I take off for illness I either use vacation time or make up the hours later in the week.