• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I played 90% of it Switch handheld with no noticeable drops or slowdown. Not going to say there were no problems (I just don't have the eyes for it) but its a really good port

thanks. Was it running at around 60fps or 30?

Been playing it on the switch and it runs pretty well so far. Haven't noticed any issues. The game is a little challenging but so far it's been a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
I beat it on Switch yesterday. Had a lot of fun with it. I did feel the final boss was a bit... much. Almost gave up on the game entirely right there. But other than that, nothing but fond memories.

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
Still no OT I guess... Having blast with this one. Picked it up after it went on sale but i would say it's worth the full price.

Took a while to get used to but played through a couple of levels at first checkpointing fairly regularly but I couldn't help but think I missed secret areas and could save my idols for for health and energy. So I restarted the game clearing the entire first level with no checkpoint. Perfect runs are fun to master for sure. I do have a few questions though:

- from what I understand, the more idols you stack the higher your health/ energy. And once you go over your limit (5/4 for instance) you get actual health and energy back? Then, at the end of the level, you can trade your idols for medals (up to 3 of them I think?). Is this correct?

- If I think I forgot a secret area or something is there any way to go back to an area?

I just "mastered" the arthropod. Looking forward to playing more soon!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I knew that some will be harsh on this game because of enemies respawn. however, this has been a fantastic game and my review will be much more positive than Nintendo Life. I'm loving this game a lot, one of the better indies this year for me:

- Excellent level design for an action game, and smart enemy replacement which is very important for this type of game.

- 2D art/graphics are gorgeous and effects are superb, this is hands down one of the best looking "pixel-art" games out there, if not actually the best.

- Story is just an excuse to play :P

- I don't listen to this type of music (metal) so I can't judge it.

- Good old school action! a variety of weapons (2 fire weapons and one melee weapon) which are upgrade-able but without complexity of modern games like exp systems... etc.

- The game feels like a mix of Contra (less bullets though) and Metal Slug with Metroid/Doom aesthetics.

- Game is not a bullet-hell game.

- Difficulty: not very hard compared to other action games, but a bit more difficult than your usual indie game. it requires some practice, but I don't think you will get stuck in any area for too long.
Sounds good. I already have the game, but maybe I should unwrap that sucker sooner rather than later methinks.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
This game rules. Beautiful art, great metal soundtrack that has a surprising willingness to be more ambient than headbang-y, and level design that facilitates the sense of mastering a series of smaller areas ala Meat Boy.

At some point, the game started to scratch a lot of itches. It feels like most sections have an ideal approach, and getting closer to it requires a combination of layout/enemy placement memorization, tactical thinking, and good execution. Actually, it's a little bit like Contra meets Hotline Miami in that way. (Makes me realize that one of my favorite things is when a highly demanding action game begins to feel like a puzzle to be solved.)

I've witnessed like three people talk about this game, and that kinda sucks. Not having Celeste-esque difficulty options is a wasted opportunity, imo: would beautifully subvert genre tropes, and could definitely be implemented in a way that is synergistic with the game's combat and level design. Being known as the "hard but welcoming metal game" seems more interesting than being known as just the "hard metal game."

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Slain and have been meaning to pick this one up. I'm without PC at the moment so PS4 or Switch? The Vita port of Slain was fucking terrible, so I'm a bit weary of grabbing it on Switch in case it has similar issues with frame rate. Anyone have any comparisons between the two platforms?

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Picked this up last week and been taking my time with it, on Level four now. I've been digging it so far. The game is definitely challenging and brutally hard in some places but it is very, VERY fair with the checkpoint locations and re-filling your health after recording your progress. Love using the melee weapons and just slicing through enemies at close range to power up the heavy duty long-range weapons.

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

We've just released Full Metal Mode on PC, and it'll be heading to consoles in early 2020.

If you want a more challenging experience, it's definitely worth the try.

Find out more here!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The final boss is kicking my ass (I'll get him soon though), but this has been a great surprise of a game. A great improvement on Slain (which I also liked btw). A perfect balance of challenge, platforming and of course action. A fun upgrade system too. It just works. A rare game that recognizes that 90's action-game design is pretty much perfect and that we needed another one just like it.

/edit: playing on Switch btw, performance is fine, some minor framedrops here and there, but always perfectly playable.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The final boss is kicking my ass (I'll get him soon though), but this has been a great surprise of a game. A great improvement on Slain (which I also liked btw). A perfect balance of challenge, platforming and of course action. A fun upgrade system too. It just works. A rare game that recognizes that 90's action-game design is pretty much perfect and that we needed another one just like it.
I know its the last boss, but I thought the difficulty spike was ridiculous. Everything up to the final boss is fairly easy then you get to that last boss and he kicks your ass. Was glad to get him after a couple of hours.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I know its the last boss, but I thought the difficulty spike was ridiculous. Everything up to the final boss is fairly easy then you get to that last boss and he kicks your ass. Was glad to get him after a couple of hours.
The first phase is a cakewalk, I really wanted a checkpoint after him. I must've defeated him a million times by now, he's just an annoying speed-bump at this point. But my main probem is that I guess I didn't understand the health-upgrade system and now I have just the minimum amount of health so I can really just get hit a few times and have to start over. His pattern isn't that hard, but I keep getting hit by that damn fireball. I'm just now learning that I can actually catch it, which helps.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Aaaand he's down. Finally got his pattern down and he went down pretty quickly after that. Feels good man, one of the better games I've played this year, I didnlt see that one coming. Here's to Valfaris 2?

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
How's this perform on different platfoms? Not sure which one to buy it on. It does have a tempting sale on Switch right now but would prefer to play in 4k!

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How's this perform on different platfoms? Not sure which one to buy it on. It does have a tempting sale on Switch right now but would prefer to play in 4k!
No idea the performance but I see it's X enhanced so I assume it's Pro enhanced as well. No idea what the differences are between Xbox One/PS4 and Xbox One X/PS4 Pro.