• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I'm Nicolas, content manager working with Digital Uppercut, the publisher of Valfaris.

I saw the thread and wanted to introduce myself and say hi! I'll aim to bring any updates to Valfaris as and when they come.

- I'll try and drop by as much as possible so if you've got any questions on the game, fire them my way and I'll do my best to help!
Will there be a Switch release?

Deleted member 59

Really glad this is coming to switch as well. I enjoyed Slaine but this looks much more to my liking!!

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Looking at the playable character for some reason I think that a warhammer 40k game would fit this style, hell replace the Valfaris character with a space marine and the enemies with those from the 40k universe and you got you're self a warhammer 40k game.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Played the demo. Looks solid so far. Levels seem slightly improved over Slain's, with a better variety of encounters and a bit more verticality. The melee attack is nice in close combat, and I like the mix of lesser-but-infinite weapon and the more powerful-but-requires-energy artillery (and it's nice that melee hits can refill that energy too).

Visuals look great. Some of the best pixel art around. Look forward to the final release. :)

13B3A5B763F1F282788F2BE9E20CA1149D2ED814

87EB71701D6E4F8546AD7EC0E56473FF647AE8C8

(Apologies for the Steam client compression on those screenshots)

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Played the demo recently. Got a full "Doom Troopers" vibe out of it, but of course... it plays much better than the SNES game.

Plays real smooth and progression through levels was super natural and fun.

The one thing i had problems with was changing between Shield and Gunfire, and sometimes the melee attack would overshoot and miss an enemy that i was rushing or that it was rushing me. Not real deal breakers tho.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
Played the demo. Looks solid so far. Levels seem slightly improved over Slain's, with a better variety of encounters and a bit more verticality. The melee attack is nice in close combat, and I like the mix of lesser-but-infinite weapon and the more powerful-but-requires-energy artillery (and it's nice that melee hits can refill that energy too).

Visuals look great. Some of the best pixel art around. Look forward to the final release. :)

Tilted pixels again? Wow, I can't stand that. :(

dosh

Oct 25, 2017

Did they somehow keep the riposte and counter from Slain? Half of the fun in the game came from the glorious counters and the fact you could send most projectiles back to the enemies.

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
There's a fantastic new article up over at the Valfaris Steam Community, we've been working with a design studio to bring Therion's gun (the one used in the main Valfaris title screen/art work we put out) to life. I've attached a photo, but you can read the full story on how it's coming together here!

Make sure to join the Steam Community whilst there, we're gonna keep posting the updates as it's made!
01227786749e2afdc81abd7ccbf96a4cc58ae102.jpg

(This is Matt holding a foam mock up, which was made to help get the exact sizing and ergonomics before working on the final version.)

As of now, the demo is still available on Steam, so make sure you go check it out and let us know your thoughts! All feedback gratefully received!

So i have completed the demo on steam and i liked it, it is the first level or half the first level i think with a boss fight at the end and lasts 20 or 30 minutes. I have played it with a 360 controller and it plays and controls well enough, the art style is great, the music is good and it runs at 60 fps with no drops. The game plays like your typical run and gun like contra or metal slug but with this alien heavy-metal aesthetic, you can also use two different crt filters for the graphics, i am the biggest fan of crt filters and i use crt easy mode in Retroarch but i didn´t like how the game looked with them on, i also find the jump animation a little stiff and maybe the graphics are a bit too overloaded for my taste because sometimes it was hard to notice what was happening on the screen, especially when 3 or 4 enemies were shooting at me at the same time, but these little annoyances didn´t stop me from enjoying the demo so i am looking forward for the game once it releases next year.
Thanks for the feedback man, it's been passed on! If you fancy chatting with the devs directly, feel free to join the Discord here - they're often found in the Valfaris section!
Please tell me it's not procedurally generated...
I've passed the question on, and will get back to you ASAP!

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
Slain: Back from Hell is one of my favourite games on PS4. I played through it again (twice) recently and I'm very much looking forward to Valfaris. But I had no idea it was releasing so soon. And now that I know, I wish I didn't, because it's only gonna make the wait worse!

But if we are doing questions Nicolas Rage ; is Valfaris going to get a physical release on PS4 like Slain did? I'm guessing Merge Games are up for it but in any case confirmation would be nice. Would it be day 1 or later? Bleh, I know I'll have to wait for an announcement anyway.. Just release the game soon please! But take your time! Heh..

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
WOW i am so buying this on the Switch! any physical release for it or just digital? its no issue if its digital only too. :)

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I can´t find an OT thread for the game so i´m posting this here, I have just completed Slain back from hell and while i think the artstyle and pixel art are GORGEOUS (seriously, this really impressed with how good all those background look with all the particles/rain/snow/blood/fire etc) and the metal music and atmosphere are superb, i found the gameplay a bit too hard and unforgiving, i know the game is aiming for a hardcore and difficult experience but still:

-The combat system is a bit too simple for my taste, few attack types and combat options, somewhat clunky/slow movement, if for instance you get caught in the middle of 2 groups of enemies attacking at the same time from both sides you are fucked, also no health or magic upgrades at all, i loved the counter attack mechanic though.

-Too many instant deaths and cheap deaths for my liking, there are traps that kill you instantly scattered everywhere in the game, also some attacks from bosses kill you in one hit too, didn´t like that at all.

-Some checkpoints were too far from one another and you have to fight some hard series of enemies and avoid some bullshit sequences of instant death traps until you get to the next one, didn´t like that at all either (thank god that at least there is always a checkpoint before any boss encounter in the game).

-The ending was WTF level of nonsense : /

The game reminds me somewhat of Ghost and goblins and Ghouls and ghosts, you have to learn enemy patterns and enemy placement to survive, i don´t mind difficult games but the gameplay was too much trial and error for my taste, especially the traps, so for me the game was a 7, i hope Valfaris is better because i played the demo and the pixel art is godly in this game too, i just want the gameplay to be a little better this time and it would be perfect.

Last edited:

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
The Bringer Of Mayhem (Therion's gun in the title art) was on show during E3 as well, and made an appearance during the PC Gaming segment!

Here's the full trailer for this monstrosity of a weapon.

D9I33uJWkAAobuC

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
It's official, and physical, pre-orders now live for Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 😮
Check it out here!
EBTdhSXX4AEtkb6

Last edited:

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
You know what this guy needs to do though? Make a fucking CRT filter that isn't hilariously, monstrously terrible for the game. Like IDK what he was doing, but that CRT filter in Slain was just plain ridiculous.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Slain sucked ass, pre- and post-patch, and I have no confidence in this game being any better, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Yeah lol

It's kinda sad how great Slain looked in screenshots and videos compared to how shitty was to actually play it. Hard to hold my breath to this one.

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
Damn, that looks so awesome. I'm not even into Metal but the music fits so well with the style and tone of the game.
You can never escape the metal :P
Does this game have a release date? It looks fun
As soon as the release date drops, I'll make sure to let you know.
Yeah lol

It's kinda sad how great Slain looked in screenshots and videos compared to how shitty was to actually play it. Hard to hold my breath to this one.
Have you had a chance to try the demo as yet?

If you're on PC, it's still available on Steam, gives you a good chance to have a first hand play.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I played the demo. It's good. No need to worry about "If this, if that". Just play it and find out if you've got any kind of PC.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Yeah lol

So true. Its the type of game I kinda live for, but it was just wasn't very good, even after the patch. It looks absolutely fabulous. Just amazing.

Once upon a time these cool looking indies used to excite me like no other. They still do. But so many of them just end up being disappointments. Deaths Gambit was another similar one, that looked amazing.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
You can never escape the metal :P

As soon as the release date drops, I'll make sure to let you know.

Have you had a chance to try the demo as yet?

If you're on PC, it's still available on Steam, gives you a good chance to have a first hand play.

I just played like 30 minute of the Valfaris demo.

It's kinda feels better to play compared to Slain, looks like there's more enemies in the screen and stuff, but i still have a problem with the gameplay feel.

Sometimes, when there's lots of enemies, the game gave me some feels of a "Reboot Doom but in 2D" with all the visceral enemy death animations, which is pretty awesome, but at the same time the main gun and sword lacks impact. The gun is kinda slow and its animation doesn't match the aesthetics, while the sword feels really great when it lands but its range is a lot shorter than it should be imo. In Nes TMNT terms, i would say the sword feels like Raphael's Sai when it should be atleast at Leonardo's Katana range haha I feel like it was done so that the sword doesn't feels too OP, and the same probably happens with the weak main gun, but they felt really weird in the context of the setting imo.

I loved the shield tho. I like the idea of using a "stamina bar" in the shield to limit it. Didn't really used the machine gun.

Another problem i have with the game so far (Which is hard to just judge in a demo tbh) is how the level design is kinda "just there". It reminds me a little of Contra and Metal Slug more arcade stuff, but then at some point there's some tiny exploration parts, when you have to get the energy stuff for the spaceship. I didn't get if the game will have some light Metroidvania elements, but until that moment it looked like a less crowded Contra.

Despite the gameplay stuff, i really like how both Slain and Valfaris looks and sounds, aesthetic wise they're really great.

So true. Its the type of game I kinda live for, but it was just wasn't very good, even after the patch. It looks absolutely fabulous. Just amazing.

Once upon a time these cool looking indies used to excite me like no other. They still do. But so many of them just end up being disappointments. Deaths Gambit was another similar one, that looked amazing.

I felt like Death's Gambit was almost there, but the collision with enemies was completely broken, which is a big dealbreaker for a game that tries to be a 2D Souls. Never played the final version tho, maybe they fixed it.

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018

It's fair enough to be apprehensive having been disappointed in the past, but it's always worth at least giving the demo a shot! You never know if you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I just played like 30 minute of the Valfaris demo.

It's kinda feels better to play compared to Slain, looks like there's more enemies in the screen and stuff, but i still have a problem with the gameplay feel.

Sometimes, when there's lots of enemies, the game gave me some feels of a "Reboot Doom but in 2D" with all the visceral enemy death animations, which is pretty awesome, but at the same time the main gun and sword lacks impact. The gun is kinda slow and its animation doesn't match the aesthetics, while the sword feels really great when it lands but its range is a lot shorter than it should be imo. In Nes TMNT terms, i would say the sword feels like Raphael's Sai when it should be atleast at Leonardo's Katana range haha I feel like it was done so that the sword doesn't feels too OP, and the same probably happens with the weak main gun, but they felt really weird in the context of the setting imo.

I loved the shield tho. I like the idea of using a "stamina bar" in the shield to limit it. Didn't really used the machine gun.

Another problem i have with the game so far (Which is hard to just judge in a demo tbh) is how the level design is kinda "just there". It reminds me a little of Contra and Metal Slug more arcade stuff, but then at some point there's some tiny exploration parts, when you have to get the energy stuff for the spaceship. I didn't get if the game will have some light Metroidvania elements, but until that moment it looked like a less crowded Contra.

Despite the gameplay stuff, i really like how both Slain and Valfaris looks and sounds, aesthetic wise they're really great.
With the sword, the range has been a balancing act - too long, it's OP, too short, it's UP. I think it's a pretty good balance personally. I mean obviously I'd love longer range from a player advantage perspective, but I think it works well as is to get a good balance of power. There's a lot of other weapons to wreak havoc with as you progress through the game, but obviously not everything is included in the demo. A lot of weapons have upgrades also, to power them up as you progress.

I think once the full release drops, it'll give a much better idea of the scope. The demo is only a small window into the overall game!

In release news, an official 'Signature Edition' has just been announced!

The included art book and CD soundtrack are definitely highlights, not to mention the physical copy of the game of course!

Pre-order goes live on Friday at 3PM UK time, check them out in detail here!

EErCnofWwAEWopZ

Release dates for all platforms

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
The launch dates for Valfaris have just been released!

Here's the rundown:
October 10: PC (Steam, GOG, Humble) and Nintendo Switch.
November 5/6: PS4 NA/EU respectively
November 8: Xbox One

In addition to the standard version, a Valfaris Digital Deluxe Edition will also be available at launch for PC and PS4 that includes the game, original soundtrack (composed and recorded by former Celtic Frost guitarist, Curt Victor Bryant), and digital artbook.

To celebrate confirmation of the release dates, there's a brand new Valfaris trailer too, check it out below!

The wait is almost over! 🤘

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Been looking forward to Valfaris since its announcement, really glad it apparently turned out amazing. Day one on Switch then.