• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Been following this game for a while and didn't see a thread for it here. It's probably my most anticipated pixel art game after Blasphemous. Was reminded of it while browsing Screenshot Saturday over the weekend

Here's a 30 minute gameplay video from a few months ago

https://store.steampowered.com/app/600130/Valfaris/
Set in a far corner of space, Valfaris is a heavy metal infused 2D action-platformer and the next game from the team behind Unity Awards finalist, Slain: Back From Hell. Brutal combat. Deadly enemies. Stunning pixel art. Savage soundtrack. Get ready to rip the galaxy a new wormhole.

Skulls in space! Gore in space! Metal in space!

Savagely reduce foes to piles of gibs with an array of brutal weaponry

Explore a diverse range of tainted environments as you venture ever deeper into the dark world of Valfaris

Dominate ranks of deadly enemies and bosses, from the weird to the grotesque (and some that are just grotesquely weird)

Gorge your eyes on devastatingly awesome pixel art hand-crafted by Andrew Gilmour

Feel the power of a seismic soundtrack by extreme metaller and former Celtic Frost guitarist, Curt Victor Bryant

Forged from the ground-up by the team behind cult hit Slain: Back From Hell

Last edited:

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Looks really good, i like how you have a sword for close quarters combat and the guns for long range, i never played Slain, i heard the game had a lot of problems at launch, were they fixed via patches?

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really good, i like how you have a sword for close quarters combat and the guns for long range, i never played Slain, i heard the game had a lot of problems at launch, were they fixed via patches?
The game was practically rebuilt after launch, improved level design, controls, and so on. The general consensus was much more positive upon the Back From Hell relaunch

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
The game was practically rebuilt after launch, improved level design, controls, and so on. The general consensus was much more positive upon the Back From Hell relaunch

What is your opinion of Back From Hell? Or Slain if you did not play the relaunch? I mean it looks gorgeous, but how is the game though.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
Slain is a lot of fun now, but i dont know if im just old or what but its surprisingly and occasionally unpleasantly difficult for me. i actually ended up getting straight up stuck at a part and havent played it since. having said that, i still think its a great fun game and love the 80s metal fantasy aesthetic (same goes for Valfaris, which i am very excited for).

any idea when Valfaris is actually supposed to drop this year?

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Slain sucked ass, pre- and post-patch, and I have no confidence in this game being any better, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
Hey guys, I'm Nicolas, content manager working with Digital Uppercut, the publisher of Valfaris.

I saw the thread and wanted to introduce myself and say hi! I'll aim to bring any updates to Valfaris as and when they come.

- I'll try and drop by as much as possible so if you've got any questions on the game, fire them my way and I'll do my best to help!

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
This looks amazing. Reminds me of an Amiga 16 bit game or something.

I've yet to play Slain, gonna see if I purchase it soon.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Hey guys, I'm Nicolas, content manager working with Digital Uppercut, the publisher of Valfaris.

I saw the thread and wanted to introduce myself and say hi! I'll aim to bring any updates to Valfaris as and when they come.

- I'll try and drop by as much as possible so if you've got any questions on the game, fire them my way and I'll do my best to help!
Hiya mate
1- what is the expected release date?
2- will yhe game feature an easy mode of sorts?

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!

The end of Slain seemed to imply sequels, is this game continuing the story/universe?

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
Hiya mate
1- what is the expected release date?
2- will yhe game feature an easy mode of sorts?

1. Q2 2019.
2. Absolutely not ;).

The end of Slain seemed to imply sequels, is this game continuing the story/universe?

There may be some common threads, but Valfaris is a new story in a new universe.

With this presentation, the game needs a metal soundtrack...

HELL YEAH!!!

Yeah man, you can't beat the heavy metal to go along with the glorious pixel-gore!

Yes! Watching that video I was thinking "man this looks like a Psygnosis game turned up to 11".

Which is a good thing, just so I'm clear.

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

Apr 21, 2018
Am I being an asshole for coming in here and wondering why it's not coming to Switch? These types of games go with handheld play to me like butter on bread.

Really love the art style and setting.

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
Am I being an asshole for coming in here and wondering why it's not coming to Switch? These types of games go with handheld play to me like butter on bread.

Really love the art style and setting.

Sorry for asking but are they any plans for a switch version like Slain?

It's certainly something we're taking in to consideration, but at the moment it's Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

Awesome, we definitely need more games with metal soundtracks.
We certainly do! \m/

Wait, so the 2018 in the title is wrong?
2018 was an older estimate, we're now looking at Q2 2019 for release.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
The main character looks like a 3D model that's been pixelated via a shader. Is this the case, or is it pure sprite work?

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
Now, I don't know how local anyone will be to EGX 2018, but if you're in the area it's definitely worth stopping by..

At our booth we're showing off Valfaris - and not only that, but you can play it for yourself!

If you're around make sure to drop by, say hi to the team, and jump into the role of Therion and shoot some guys to your hearts content!

Sadly I'm unable to attend EGX this year, so won't be around to say hi - but the rest of the guys will be sure to accommodate!

DnhRo6vWwAEMFn1.jpg

Rayder

Jun 15, 2018
Cleveland, Ohio
df68216e2b6a8bb50c0733f4355d796977147053.jpg

This looks like Centaur in videogame form, hyped!

Centaur is my favorite table in The Pinball Arcade. Love the sound in that game. Remember playing it in the local arcade (it was called Space Invaders) back in the day. Great to have it in digital form. Good times!

I've enjoyed Slain very much, even though I suck at it and progress is slow. I still boot it up now and again to get a little further on both the PS4 and Vita. Just love the pixel art and atmosphere in it....and of course the metal music. Valfaris is an absolute guaranteed buy for me. Looks almost like a heavy metal version of Turrican. Nice! Will be getting the PS4 version. I'm guessing there will be no Vita version this time around?

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
Centaur is my favorite table in The Pinball Arcade. Love the sound in that game. Remember playing it in the local arcade (it was called Space Invaders) back in the day. Great to have it in digital form. Good times!

I've enjoyed Slain very much, even though I suck at it and progress is slow. I still boot it up now and again to get a little further on both the PS4 and Vita. Just love the pixel art and atmosphere in it....and of course the metal music. Valfaris is an absolute guaranteed buy for me. Looks almost like a heavy metal version of Turrican. Nice! Will be getting the PS4 version. I'm guessing there will be no Vita version this time around?
Haha, yeah man it's a hell of a tricky game to get through - I think that's half the fun though!
There's no news on one currently, I'll make sure to post if anything changes though.

We got some awesome coverage from PC Games N recently - check it out at the link below if you've yet to see it!

Has anyone had a chance to get their hands on any of the demos we've been fielding lately at shows, etc?

Let us know your thoughts if so - the more feedback the merrier!

https://www.pcgamesn.com/valfaris/new-games-valfaris

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
Valfaris got some coverage in GamesMaster magazine, grab a copy for the full preview!

2i0rjbs.png

Also, we may have something exciting hitting the official Digerati Discord tonight, especially for those interested in getting their hands on the Valfaris beta..

Make sure to join if interested, link is here!

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
really looking forward! i love Slain!
You and me both man!

We got some new info on the weapon upgrade system shared on our official Steam community recently, check out the side by side (rank 1/rank 2) GIF below!

If you want to read the full story on it, check it out here.

Demo access is coming VERY soon, so keep your eyes peeled for access!

Nicolas Rage

Jul 25, 2018
I told you demo access would be coming very soon..

The Valfaris demo is live and ready to download!
It's here! The Valfaris demo has landed and is ready to be downloaded and played right now, like, this very instant.
To download the demo, head to the Valfaris Steam page and clickety-click your mouse on the button handily labelled 'Download Demo'. And away you go!
Note: The demo will be available for a LIMITED TIME ONLY and is scheduled to be closed at the end of the year i.e. 31 December.

These are just some of the things you'll be able to do in the demo…
[] Experience the whole of the game's first level – the Landing Pad
[] Decimate an array of accursed enemies
[] Wield the Hellwraith – a heavy weapon that drips blood and fires molten skulls
[] Discover cunningly concealed secret areas
[] Take on the Junk Gargoyle – a cycloptic boss with a penchant for scrap metal
[] Headbang (of course)
[] Treat your ears to a sample of the game's OST, recorded by Curt Victor Bryant

We also vigorously encourage you to share the demo love by grabbing screenshots, recording videos, streaming, baking a Therion cake, getting 'Valfaris demo is live' tattooed on your body… anything to spread the word.

Finally, if after playing the demo you have a build-up of feedback in your brain that you'd like to share with us, you'll find a 'give feedback' option at the end of the demo.

In non-demo related news, we've also launched a Valfaris website. It's live now and can be perused at this location: https://valfarisgame.com/
Enjoy the demo!

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
So i have completed the demo on steam and i liked it, it is the first level or half the first level i think with a boss fight at the end and lasts 20 or 30 minutes. I have played it with a 360 controller and it plays and controls well enough, the art style is great, the music is good and it runs at 60 fps with no drops. The game plays like your typical run and gun like contra or metal slug but with this alien heavy-metal aesthetic, you can also use two different crt filters for the graphics, i am the biggest fan of crt filters and i use crt easy mode in Retroarch but i didn´t like how the game looked with them on, i also find the jump animation a little stiff and maybe the graphics are a bit too overloaded for my taste because sometimes it was hard to notice what was happening on the screen, especially when 3 or 4 enemies were shooting at me at the same time, but these little annoyances didn´t stop me from enjoying the demo so i am looking forward for the game once it releases next year.