• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
According to an email sent out by Microsoft to Xbox Game Pass subscribers on the occasion of the launch of Valheim on its platform, the game is a timed console exclusive for the duration of 6 months, suggesting that it will arrive on PlayStation later on. A screenshot from said email can be seen below..

More in the article here

I know a bunch of people here asking about when it will come to Playstation. Hopefully comes to Extra at launch.

Lock if old.

Last edited:

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
That's shitty. I thought it was because Xbox has an early access program. Six months isn't too bad but still a shitty practice

Tommi

Oct 29, 2017
Does Playstation even do early access games? Struggling to remember it having them sans Fortnite way back when.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Timed exclusives is one of my least favorite things that console makers do. Paying money to create six months of FOMO. Yay, how fun for everyone.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
i kind of have the feeling this might take more than 6 months to arrive on playstation simply because of dev team size and the absurdity of trying to juggle three platforms while working on an entire-soccer-field-is-moving survival base-building Early Access game

feel free to bookmark this post and come back to laugh at me at the end of 2023

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's very early access from what I played. 6 months from now will probably be the full release.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it's very early access from what I played. 6 months from now will probably be the full release.
try 2-3 years lol

XB just launched and we're getting hilarious things like the map for xbox players being different from PC players (it's crossplay) on the same seed connecting to the same host, i.e. people appearing underground to each other

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, it's launched into Xbox's proper Early Access program, with no achievements and a massive Game Preview badge on it.

As far as I'm aware, PlayStation don't really mess with things like that (like launching unfinished with no trophies and patching them in later. And all of the 'your progress may be reset, game may never come out, game might be broken' etc language). So makes total sense why the Valheim team would take that deal and beta test it on one console with a chunk of cash.

If it's six months exclusive, I still don't think we'll see it on PlayStation in six months to be honest. If they're waiting till it's finished and ready to ship in a proper state like Sony typically expect. It's an early access ass early access game.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt it'll come to PlayStation in 6 months. Sony doesn't really do early access as far as I know

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
To be fair, it's launched into Xbox's proper Early Access program, with no achievements and a massive Game Preview badge on it.

As far as I'm aware, PlayStation don't really mess with things like that (like launching unfinished with no trophies and patching them in later. And all of the 'your progress may be reset, game may never come out, game might be broken' etc language). So makes total sense why the Valheim team would take that deal and beta test it on one console with a chunk of cash.

They have done early access for games before

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

If it's six months exclusive, I still don't think we'll see it on PlayStation in six months to be honest. If they're waiting till it's finished and ready to ship in a proper state like Sony typically expect. It's an early access ass early access game.
Wasn't Temtem an early access game when it hit PlayStation?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
With Fish Labs helping things, I guess it's also coming once the exclusivity period is done and the game is out of early access. Fish Labs has done a few Switch ports.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Six months from version 1.0 or the current early access version? 1.0 isn't happening for a while yet.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing this is like the PUBG deal where the dev uses the early access feature and makes some money from it to help with the game.

It's a pretty interesting survival game using Norse mythology but honestly you're better off waiting until a more complete build is out for both consoles. Currently it's just a lot of messing around with the world/environments for crafting and you wouldn't get any achievement/trophy progress anyway.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Six months from version 1.0 or the current early access version? 1.0 isn't happening for a while yet.
Yeah, this is rough.

If this is supposed to be some sort of "Well, Xbox gets big third party exclusives" they probably didn't have to pay much for the privilege of Valheim on console in its current state. Tbh, the payments should be going the other way around for these builds lol

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing this is like the PUBG deal where the dev uses the early access feature and makes some money from it to help with the game.

It's a pretty interesting survival game using Norse mythology but honestly you're better off waiting until a more complete build is out for both consoles. Currently it's just a lot of messing around with the world/environments for crafting and you wouldn't get any achievement/trophy progress anyway.

I'm thinking it's exactly that reason in the first sentence as they specifically label it early access on the game card. And it's early access in every sense of the word. The game is rough right now.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
complete speculation here - i have to think that valheim's initial runaway success meant their financials were very, VERY frontloaded the moment the game was available for sale. virtually everyone (or, realistically, a very, very strong majority) on PC who had an interest in survival/base building would have picked it up based on its insane word of mouth, which leaves relatively slim pickings after*

i think it's relatively safe to say that there was quite a war chest to play around with, but it's a double edged sword in that it's very very hard to continue to squeeze more sales out of the product, especially considering how slow that first year went in terms of dev with the team suddenly finding themselves with 10x the expected playerbase all reporting issues and such which delayed their initially planned content rollout. said content rollout also does relatively little to push more copies, as it's generally returning players (who may or may not drag friends along new to valheim, but generally would already have established play groups prior)

there's also probably a reasonably safe extrapolation that after a year or so of weaker sales, that income *has* to come from somewhere, and game pass seemed like a good fit, and then that's just adjacent from signing a bigger deal with Microsoft in general

all that being said though, as someone who's thrown 3 digit hours into the initial release and another 3 digits into a Mistlands run, i'm of the opinion that much like minecraft, a couple of years difference isn't probably isn't going to matter in the long run when you actually get to play valheim because as great (and as jank, lol) as it is, it very much is in the category of early access game where you get to the end of content and then end up with a long, unending wait anyway

*edit: did some digging to prove/disprove my own post:

Feb 2021 launch
Mar 2021 5M sold
June 2021 8M sold
Apr 2022 10M sold

yup, sales fell off a cliff lol

edit2: just to clarify, it's not like 10 million copies sold isn't enough to cover dev for a good, long, LONG, while; it's probably also prudent to plan a longer runway than you think you need regardless. trying to find business when things aren't looking so hot is already too late, and i think Iron Gate is at least aware that the pace of development for the game *has* been taking a lot longer than they initially thought it would

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is rough.

If this is supposed to be some sort of "Well, Xbox gets big third party exclusives" they probably didn't have to pay much for the privilege of Valheim on console in its current state. Tbh, the payments should be going the other way around for these build lol

It's actually a very popular game on Steam with huge owner estimation numbers:

If the six months are from version 1.0 that's a very popular exclusive they got. If it's just the EA period, you could argue it's debatable how fun it is to play in its current state, though it seemed very compelling to me. Still would rather play something like Grounded or Subnautica for the best games in the genre, while Valheim will only get better from where it is now.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking it's exactly that reason in the first sentence as they specifically label it early access on the game card. And it's early access in every sense of the word. The game is rough right now.

Yeah it has a ways to go.

It has a cool story/gameplay premise and the art style mixes low fi polygonal models with rich lighting which makes for an interesting style but I wouldn't say other console owners are missing out on much unless you're extremely into survival games.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It's actually a very popular game on Steam with huge owner estimation numbers:

If the six months are from version 1.0 that's a very popular exclusive they got. If it's just the EA period, you could argue it's debatable how fun it is to play in its current state, though it seemed very compelling to me. Still would rather play something like Grounded or Subnautica for the best games in the genre, while Valheim will only get better from where it is now.
Yeah, I'm familiar with the game. I'm just saying that if it's a 6 month early access exclusive, given the state of the early access, this isn't much to hold up as Xbox paying for a big third party exclusive.

HOWEVER, if this early access is not the 6-months of exclusivity, and it isn't coming to Playstation until after 1.0 hits for 6 months, I agree. It's a big deal.

Feb 19, 2023
Not sure if this is sarcasm but Microsoft has been doing timed exclusives since forever. There are a zillion console launch exclusive shit going on in every one of their shows.

And the OP you posted isn't one if them; you seem to know it's an "early access" game without achievements or anything. v1.0 will most likely launch everywhere simultaneously.

Edit: beaten

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's not a bad console exclusivity window but I wonder how long the subscription service window is for. I imagine it won't hit PS+, if it does, until a year from now.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is sarcasm but Microsoft has been doing timed exclusives since forever. There are a zillion console launch exclusive shit going on in every one of their shows.
Some posts are really weird.

I mean since the Series consoles launched there have been timed Xbox exclusives, lol. MS didnt all of a sudden start or stop doing timed exclusives.