Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
youtu.be

Valheim: Ashlands Animated Release Trailer

In the Ashlands, our heroes know that it's conquer or be conquered. Do they have what it takes? And more importantly, do you?The Ashlands update is now avail...

The world is heating up and in the south something is stirring... The creatures of the Ashlands come to life as the biome update is here at last!

After three weeks in the Public Test Branch, we believe we have ironed out most of the wrinkles with the update already, but please keep in mind that hotfixes and such are still likely to happen within the near future!

valheim.com

Valheim: Ashlands

The world is heating up and in the south something is stirring... The creatures of the Ashlands come to life as the biome update is here at last!

Let's go! To new players who haven't heard of Valheim or haven't checked it out, now's a great time to join in!

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
So is this 1.0? Playeda ton when it first launched but I don't really fuck with early access all too much until it releases proper.

Bopp

Aug 6, 2021
Man, my mates and I need this on PS5...
Seems like the perfect game for us :D

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
So uh, for those who are into it, any idea what's the rough timeline for 1.0 release? Feels like forever already. It's so massive game that I don't think I'll have energy to go through it twice either way so I'd rather play at 1.0 if it's "close".

OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How solo friendly did this become? Can you tweak solo server settings?
Yes! You have lots of modifiers now to cater to different playstyles. You can change them too anytime you want!

So uh, for those who are into it, any idea what's the rough timeline for 1.0 release? Feels like forever already. It's so massive game that I don't think I'll have energy to go through it twice either way so I'd rather play at 1.0 if it's "close".
Why not play a persistent world? Don't you have a save?

Yeah, seems like Sony isn't interested in fucking with Early Access. I can't really blame them, but I'd really love to play this with my PS5 friends (already love it on PC). Maybe next year!
Well Deep North should release first, maybe it'll come with 1.0? We can hope :)

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Why not play a persistent world? Don't you have a save?
I thought I read somewhere earlier that your game might not have space to spawn new biomes if you have explored too much or something so you have to start from new world anyway in that case. Also if there's some major progression revisions that affect the game from the start I'd like to experience it first with all the changes in place already.

OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I read somewhere earlier that your game might not have space to spawn new biomes if you have explored too much or something so you have to start from new world anyway in that case. Also if there's some major progression revisions that affect the game from the start I'd like to experience it first with all the changes in place already.
I'm not sure if they changed the old biomes but yeah if you explored the southernmost part of the globe it won't spawn for you. I see your point now. I honestly think Deep North and 1.0 are still far off, you can start anew now and just don't go to the northern areas, but I can respect why you want to wait. Cheers!

Microsoft and Xbox updates slightly delayed New
OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
NOTE! Unfortunately there are currently some issues with the Microsoft and Xbox versions of Valheim, which means there will be a slight delay in getting the update properly uploaded there. However, the current version on Xbox Flight is the same as the version coming to live, so crossplay will still be possible between Xbox Flight and Default Steam games.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
I'm not sure if they changed the old biomes but yeah if you explored the southernmost part of the globe it won't spawn for you. I see your point now. I honestly think Deep North and 1.0 are still far off, you can start anew now and just don't go to the northern areas, but I can respect why you want to wait. Cheers!
Ah all right, might just pull the trigger soon enough in that case. Just have to make sure to leave some space unexplored if possible. Has all of these big biome content patches added any big game-wide changes though or are the strictly like "here's your new biome and all the new stuff is strictly related to this place"? Like new tier of progression and everything before that gets ignored and has stayed pretty static changes wise?

OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's going to be the ultimate update?
So Valheim's a planet and based on where you are, it's a different biome. Their biome updates are parts of the map yet developed. Ashlands is the southernmost update, the final one is Deep North which is, as you would've guessed it, the northernmost part of the globe.

Ah all right, might just pull the trigger soon enough in that case. Just have to make sure to leave some space unexplored if possible. Has all of these big biome content patches added any big game-wide changes though or are the strictly like "here's your new biome and all the new stuff is strictly related to this place"? Like new tier of progression and everything before that gets ignored and has stayed pretty static changes wise?
I think some biome updates have stuff that you can do only on those biomes but usually these are relegated to farming stuff, like you cannot plant this on another biome or you cannot gather this on another biome, so you can have a home base on the easy, starting biomes and have 95% your new biome furniture, crafting, farming and animal zoo in there.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I've played this a lot before many of the biomes where properly in place. It was interesting finding them, but disappointing when there wasn't anything to do in them. My group of friends and I are waiting for 1.0 before we dive back into this, but it's exciting seeing that it is making good progress towards the final goal.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Older Biomes have been slightly updated as well these last years, months and patches. Plains now have tar pits which you have to explore to unlock the dark wood stuff.
And the Mountains now have ice caverns.

OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any recommended setting?
I'd personally play on normal, though the biggest common pet peeve of people are the portals not being able to transport ores. I say just check normal first, if it's going smoothly then stick with it. You'll definitely encounter the ores problem, you decide if you want to turn on portals that can transport ores at that point. Personally I enjoy seafaring so I am still on normal. You can also turn up the drop rate of stuff.

If yoy are short on gaming time you can look into the portals and more resources settings.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017

im shooting in the dark here but it feels like releasing the last biome but not as 1.0 would be a massive planning mistake on Iron Gate's part because you dilute 1.0 hype significantly (and the game peaks at ~50k on major patches now vs the ~500k at launch so 1.0 is probably going to be significant for hype/additional sales)

and this is the penultimate biome

it took ~15 months from Mistlands to this, and ~22 months prior to that vanilla to Mistlands

How does this and mistlands compare to the vanilla biomes? Similar amounts of stuff?

it's relatively hard to explain this without spoiling content, but i think in terms of temporary design the last biome of any given release tends to want to slow down your progression a little to 'give people more things to do', and you do simply end up spending more time there as its the last available biome with the best loot, etc

the amount of time i spent in plains dropped in our mistlands playthrough vs when plains was the last biome, for example

i'd say mistlands outside of that context was meatier than vanilla biomes though just because of how many completely new game mechanics it introduced to play around with

I'd personally play on normal, though the biggest common pet peeve of people are the portals not being able to transport ores. I say just check normal first, if it's going smoothly then stick with it. You'll definitely encounter the ores problem, you decide if you want to turn on portals that can transport ores at that point. Personally I enjoy seafaring so I am still on normal. You can also turn up the drop rate of stuff.

If yoy are short on gaming time you can look into the portals and more resources settings.

ashlands spoilers: you finally get portal mk2s that can transport metal

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I didn't know it was still in dev. I was quite into the idea but the performance was so horrendous that I refunded it in the end. I went to the lengths to actually join a large maintained server too with a good population but unless you're running a 4090 it doesn't seem playable. Did they ever fix that?

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
early on FPS issues were largely tied to number of buildable objects and tamed pets

that's probably not a good combination with public servers minecraft-style lol

performance has gotten way better but with like every single game where you can build stuff yourself it's a sliding scale of 1) how much you can build 2) how low an FPS you're able to tolerate

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Tbh I didn't know it was still in dev. I was quite into the idea but the performance was so horrendous that I refunded it in the end. I went to the lengths to actually join a large maintained server too with a good population but unless you're running a 4090 it doesn't seem playable. Did they ever fix that?

I didn't play the game in its first year, but I've never had performance issues on my PC which isn't at all high end.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Valheim with my SO during the early days of the pandemic was a vibe, might have to dive back in to check this out. As an aside, the VR mod is pretty cool for those interested.

www.nexusmods.com

VHVR - Valheim VR

This mod adds VR support to Valheim using OpenVR and SteamVR Unity integration.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
im shooting in the dark here but it feels like releasing the last biome but not as 1.0 would be a massive planning mistake on Iron Gate's part because you dilute 1.0 hype significantly (and the game peaks at ~50k on major patches now vs the ~500k at launch so 1.0 is probably going to be significant for hype/additional sales)

it took ~15 months from Mistlands to this, and ~22 months prior to that vanilla to Mistlands
Ah yeah ok so it's still probably pretty far away then. How has the ashlands biome been received by the community so far? I'd rather not delve too deep to check that info out without spoiling too much.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yeah ok so it's still probably pretty far away then. How has the ashlands biome been received by the community so far? I'd rather not delve too deep to check that info out without spoiling too much.

so this wouldn't be a spoiler since it's pretty obvious when you look at the map - ashlands is different from all prior biomes in that the map generation does not put any other type of biomes on the same landmass as ashlands

therefore they can tailor the experience of even *getting* there to make something special

in terms of beta feedback i think some hard lessons were learnt with mistlands (mistlands raids completely wrecking grasslands bases, etc) which were avoided this time around so initial reception is far more favorable

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
so this wouldn't be a spoiler since it's pretty obvious when you look at the map - ashlands is different from all prior biomes in that the map generation does not put any other type of biomes on the same landmass as ashlands

therefore they can tailor the experience of even *getting* there to make something special

in terms of beta feedback i think some hard lessons were learnt with mistlands (mistlands raids completely wrecking grasslands bases, etc) which were avoided this time around so initial reception is far more favorable
Ah okay that sounds more positive then. I heard a lot of mixed things about mistlands and how a lot of people just flat out quit whenever they reach that zone but without context it's hard to imagine how it actually feels like to actually play there. And to be honest it's probably better this way, gonna be interesting to see.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Maybe. Depends on how much other stuff they work on that's not the last biome. Between Mistlands and Ashlands we got the Hildir merchant and quests added for example.
Ah okay, without following the progress I thought it was all about the biome updates only. It's good to see they expand the game in other ways too then!

Ashlands update now out for Xbox and Microsoft Store, also 50% off on Steam right now New
OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ashlands update now out for Xbox and Microsoft Store

Also 50% off on Steam right now

store.steampowered.com

Save 50% on Valheim on Steam

A brutal exploration and survival game for 1-10 players, set in a procedurally-generated purgatory inspired by viking culture. Battle, build, and conquer your way to a saga worthy of Odinā€™s patronage!

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

it's relatively hard to explain this without spoiling content, but i think in terms of temporary design the last biome of any given release tends to want to slow down your progression a little to 'give people more things to do', and you do simply end up spending more time there as its the last available biome with the best loot, etc

the amount of time i spent in plains dropped in our mistlands playthrough vs when plains was the last biome, for example

i'd say mistlands outside of that context was meatier than vanilla biomes though just because of how many completely new game mechanics it introduced to play around with

ashlands spoilers: you finally get portal mk2s that can transport metal

? It launched peak COVID. Everyone was at home.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Crossplay has been in for months.

Years I think. Haha.

I can't believe how little they have added over time. Such a cool game, but the massive gaps between stuff is really rough.

Edit: I guess just maybe about a year. It feels like ages ago. Haha. Post COVID time sure is weird.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Years I think. Haha.

I can't believe how little they have added over time. Such a cool game, but the massive gaps between stuff is really rough.

Edit: I guess just maybe about a year. It feels like ages ago. Haha. Post COVID time sure is weird.

I agree that their dev time is slow but the patches are substantial as fuck.

There's 100s of hours of content rn

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
? It launched peak COVID. Everyone was at home.

i'm aware.

i'm not saying that the numbers *now* are bad by any means, but virtually every early access game that has an explosive start tends to basically have sales and activity taper off significantly until 1.0, since that explosive start means you've pretty much also gotten sales from a good chunk of people interested in an Early Access title, hence 1.0 is pretty much the only other point you can have any kind of significant push. that's what i was getting at speculating Ashlands vs 1.0's incidence (or not)

virtually all the long-burn EAs in the past decade or so had the same kind of sales trajectory, maybe with the famous exception for Terraria (although i feel that has largely to do with Terraria largely being a 'minecraft adjacent' game for people who want 'minecraft yet different' and minecraft obviously always has an overwhelming playerbase size)

edit: actually let's expand a little bit more on that since we're on this topic- when a game releases in Early Access there generally are two main goals:
1) make enough money to fund the rest of the game
2) get feedback from how the community interacts with the game so you can nudge development in a direction for the best 1.0 (whether that's final or not) possible. this is essential to several genres, largely the mechanic-heavy ones that absolutely can't be balanced in a vacuum because having it being played by millions of players means balance breaks in ways you could never get from focus-testing (roguelikes, deckbuilders, sruvival games, colony sims are all good examples)

examples like Valheim, Dyson Sphere, etc (and more recently Palworld of course), probably have made more than enough money at their EA launches to literally rescope their respective EAs beyond a prior more conservative scope (which is prudent for a game to make it through to completion - there's no way to predict how much you're going to sell on EA launch). from that point on in terms of $$$ the goal really is to build a 1.0 that maximizes the number of additional sales. anything that happens between those two points are relatively irrelevant from a $$$ perspective

but at the same time the interim content patches *do* need to be able to maintain interest in the existing playerbase, not because it makes money (they aren't GaaS, after all - existing customers do not generate revenue for being engaged with the game except for some small "get your friends to play" rolloff) but moreso so that that active community can continue to provide feedback w.r.t. the game's overall direction, balance, fun factor, pacing, etc. which, as mentioned, builds towards that more ideal 1.0

i think Valheim is in a pretty safe spot in both those cases. i already mentioned, for example, how Mistlands is a far better biome now than the trainwreck it was when that public beta launched (lmao) largely due to first beta then EA community feedback

Last edited: