• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really digging the gameplay but the story is so out of place for me that I doubt I'll ever pick it up outside of a sale

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if VC1 PC was an outlier from being in the right place at the right time (at the right price) and VC4's western sales will snap-back to reality as far as the size of VC's audience goes.
Direct comparisons to VC1 PC's sales numbers might not be the right metric, since it was cheaper, but I don't doubt this will be the highest grossing game in the series.

For one, the fact that this is launching on so many platforms helps a LOT. The original was PS3 exclusive when it came out, and launched at time when western interest in Japanese games was really at a low point. But that has changed drastically. People are buying J-RPGs again, and we see games like Xenoblade Chonicles 2 and Persona 5 selling pretty well on a single platform. VC has developed a pretty loyal following and something of a mystique as one of the last great new IPs from Sega in the years since its release. I'd be surprised if it doesn't do well, especially on Switch.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So where are folks playing? PS4 or Switch?
I tried the demo on both, and then went out and pre-ordered on Switch.

For long games like this, portability is a huge, huge bonus for me, because I can play during my daily commute. So after seeing the two versions look pretty damn close, give or take some texture resolution, I'd rather have the flexibility of Switch.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
As a matter of curiosity... Without spoilers... Is VC2 still canon in VC4?

Because honestly a lot of VC2's plot should probably have some major... Implications... if it's still relevant in VC4.

Y'know given the fact that the Federation is sort of the villain-side of VC2.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a matter of curiosity... Without spoilers... Is VC2 still canon in VC4?

Because honestly a lot of VC2's plot should probably have some major... Implications... if it's still relevant in VC4.

Y'know given the fact that the Federation is sort of the villain-side of VC2.
VC4's characters are pretty far from the center of the Federation government, you don't get to meet the president or anything like that (unlike VC1). So whatever the higher-ups decide to do has little to do with these soldiers on the front line.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Finished the demo (internally sad). I B-ranked the missions, which is to be expected when you're going through something carefully for the first time. Didn't encounter anything too challenging but I thought that about the first game, which absolutely cranked things up from the "uber tank" mission onwards. Appreciate that the second mission had more to it objective wise than "capture the final base".

No performance issues this end undocked on the fog level. So that was nice. I guess I'll go back and re-attempt the story missions and try to A rank them. Go find the hidden aces. Do the second skirmish.

Feel like I need to get to know the squad a bit more, find some favourites. I used to have core set of people in the first game which were my A-team.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
I am sad that they've brought back the "leader" mechanic from VC1. I feel like it unnecessarily limits character choices when you have to take Raz, Kit, Riley and so forth on every mission just to avoid hampering the number of actions you have.

IIRC in VC2 you could choose your leaders?

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am sad that they've brought back the "leader" mechanic from VC1. I feel like it unnecessarily limits character choices when you have to take Raz, Kit, Riley and so forth on every mission just to avoid hampering the number of actions you have.

IIRC in VC2 you could choose your leaders?
It is a way to ensure, that you build a connection to those main characters, since you want to use them in any fight. That way the story feels more impactful.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
It is a way to ensure, that you build a connection to those main characters, since you want to use them in any fight. That way the story feels more impactful.

I understand the reasoning, but it means that I'm highly unlikely to use i.e. any other sniper, even if I prefer them. There's all kinds of systems in the game based around having a squad of characters with quirks and preferences, and then the game works against it by filling 4 of your deployment slots before each mission.
On top of that, considering that these characters are the only ones who will be in any cutscenes, I'll be developing a connection to them anyway.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
Finally had a chance to play this thing. So far, two missions in, it's exactly what i wanted a sequel from the first game. Now I just have to hope it keeps this momentum through the whole thing. Can't wait for English reviews to hit! It's a shame it's coming out a month from now. Totally would have impulse bought it already if it was coming out in the next week (on second thought, thank goodness it's coming out in a month).

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So apparently Vyse and Aika as bonus characters aren't in this game? That's a huge bummer, loved using them in VC1.

I played the demo and really enjoyed this though, so we'll see how it goes.

That Guy

Nov 13, 2017
Just finished the Demo...yeah this is definitely Valkyria Chronicles. Was worried it would deviate from the first game after everything I heard about with the 2nd and 3rd games.

Kaidoi94

Feb 26, 2018
Something to note for the grenadier targeting is that the orange circle represents where their mortar will land, not their AoE. With those gatling turrets in Ch 1 a direct hit will OHK them, but it takes 2 otherwise

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Just finished the demo on PS4. As a newcomer to the series, I really enjoyed it and found the gameplay to be deep and engrossing. I am worried about getting demolished by a difficulty spike though, I'm looking forward to impressions on the final product.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a great demo. I finally finished it off. With the bonus mission and everything it took me well over 3 hours. It's a generous slice of the full product, and it definitely did its job. I'm hooked now.

Just sucks that the game is still like six weeks out.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm trying to make sure I've done everything the demo can offer to set up the full game in the best way:

• Beat Ch 1 and 2
  • All Classes to Level 4
  • Bought Order from Mess Hall
  • 10K Unused EXP
  • Farmed enough scout weapons from Elites for my main characters

Is there anything I'm missing? Is there a cap on how much money will carry over as well?

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm trying to make sure I've done everything the demo can offer to set up the full game in the best way:

• Beat Ch 1 and 2
  • All Classes to Level 4
  • Bought Order from Mess Hall
  • 10K Unused EXP
  • Farmed enough scout weapons from Elites for my main characters

Is there anything I'm missing? Is there a cap on how much money will carry over as well?
You can do the Bonus Mission if you want. Money is capped too.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the demo the other day. Loved it. It's more Valkyria and that's all I really wanted. Definitely picking it up.

Did anyone make sense of the 715 thing?
like, how does that tell her specifically where to hit?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Finished the demo the other day. Loved it. It's more Valkyria and that's all I really wanted. Definitely picking it up.

Did anyone make sense of the 715 thing?
like, how does that tell her specifically where to hit?

The 715 code was just for Riley to hit in that general area. That said the tanks being located so conveniently next to the towers, and her hitting the targets so specifically, is anime/game bullshit that you'll just have to accept.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Playing this demo immediately brought back so many good memories from Valkyrie Chronicles. Instant recollection.
Gameplay is extremely fun and I immediately preordered the game. Same flaws though like the super strong scout class.

A bit worried that enjoying the demo so much (maxing the classes as far as possible) will make my future playthrough a bit of a breeze though...

Nov 14, 2017
I checked out the demo and it's pretty fun but I'm not sure it's something that will keep me playing for a long time. I love all the character designs though.

I feel like this might be a game I grab on sale somewhere down the line.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played VC1 since basically when the PS3 version originally came out and could only stand the characters of VC2 for a few missions, but after like two battles on this demo I immediately got back into the game, basically outrunning the tutorial prompts.

I imagine everyone's already figured out who's best to use in this demo and the optimal route through each mission (if they didn't already do that in the Japanese version).

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have the resolution and framerate for the Switch in docked and in portable? That's what my decision hinges on.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Never played any other of the series but liked the demo a lot, now it is a contender for my purchase of September (VC4, DBFZ or Torna), I like the setting but don´'t know if the fantasy elements I have glimpsed from the previous games will be a detractor of the world setting for me.

Bromancer

Oct 30, 2017
Finally got around to playing the demo. First time playing a Valkyria game since the first one, which is the reason I bought my PS3 for all those years ago. I absolutely loved Valkyria Chronicles at the time. I remember it being the first game I played after moving out of my parents' house, on my first HD TV. I was more into anime those days too so it was perfect to me.

The thing that surprises me the most in VC4 is that apart from the Grenadier class being added, it seems like nothing has changed in a decade. It's not just the content and story beats, but everything looks and sounds the same. I feel like they could've produced exactly this game a year after the first. Now I understand that there's not much of a budget to improve on the engine, but this is the fourth game in the series, on a more powerful console, 10 years later, and it's exactly the same game? Same engine, same magically disappearing enemies and tanks after your take them out? Same storybook presentation and identical interface? All the features I've seen in headquarters were also already there in the first game. What gives?

Now I hear you, "don't fix what ain't broke", and I sort of agree because I was enjoying this trip down memory lane quite a lot. The good news is that indeed, the brilliance of the original still holds up. Just from their listed personality traits I immediately grew attached to a bunch of characters I wanted to use in my squad (not so much the main characters though, I find it harder to stomach anime cliches these days). The gameplay system is still unique and awesome, and it feels like it has a lot of potential in the hands of the right developers, with larger, longer levels that really force you to think and get the most out of your troops' abilities, always fearing you might lose your favourites.

Sadly, so far it seems like VC4 isn't any more ambitious than VC1 in this regard. Environments are kinda empty, both in terms of strategic possibilities, stuff to interact with, and enemies. I tried the bonus mission hoping to at least find a challenge, but it quickly turned into a dash to the finish, and I got an A rating on my first try. I really want this game to be difficult (preferably with good AI) to get some mileage out of the strategic elements, but it looks like I would have to keep myself from leveling in the full game to get to that point.

As for the story, it makes no sense so far. I anticipated this but it's still a shame. I applaud the attempt to bring some variety into the missions by including "shoot the clock tower" stuff (missions in VC1 were also quite varied), but if it's not exactly riveting gameplay-wise, you better make sure it makes sense from a story perspective. It did not, and I have this nagging suspicion that nothing in the full game will.

I was really hoping for a game that would evolve the series and take the next step, as it has been so long and the series is now back on home consoles, but that very clearly is not what happened. Then again, it could've gone the other way and that would've been worse, though easier for me to ignore. Now I'm left thinking of what could've been.

I might get this game after a pricedrop.

Last edited:

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Bromancer , i get your point , especially the don't fix what ain't broke but , VC2 ( and in a sense VC3 ) had far smaller maps , and VC2 had a lot of repeats and a pacing that was dreadfull , imo.
VC4 in that sense is coming back to it's roots ( for me anyway ) and the fact that it feels so much like VC1 can't be anything but a positive especially if you consider VC2 or Vrev ( let's not forget that they tried something completly different )
I don't think the demo is a good way to try the difficulty. Only the first missions , the good is for introducing things . i do think that this game has potential for plenty of greta scenario going by the last mission.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Question about pre-load: is pre-load the only way to get the bonus content that comes with it, or will that also be available for a physical copy pre-order or DLC down the road? I want the pre-load bonus but I want a physical copy.

Also, I was surprised to see that Engineers are much more useful than in the first game now that there are Grenadiers to restock. That Revival Ragnaid is a lifesaver as well.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Not sure if this is the right place, if not please point me to it, but can anybody tell me if i can grind in the demo in some way ?

I heard that demo progress is carried over, so i would love to amas as much money as possible.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
I've always used engineers. Tank repair and mine removal FTW.

For sure, but that's all I've ever used them for. If there were no mines and my tank wasn't in danger, I didn't deploy an Engineer. Now I might have at least one on every map to keep Riley stocked and revive people.

Not sure if this is the right place, if not please point me to it, but can anybody tell me if i can grind in the demo in some way ?

I heard that demo progress is carried over, so i would love to amas as much money as possible.
You can grind up to 15k DCT and levels cap at 4.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I understand the reasoning, but it means that I'm highly unlikely to use i.e. any other sniper, even if I prefer them. There's all kinds of systems in the game based around having a squad of characters with quirks and preferences, and then the game works against it by filling 4 of your deployment slots before each mission.
On top of that, considering that these characters are the only ones who will be in any cutscenes, I'll be developing a connection to them anyway.
However, I never use all of the guys I put on initial positions so I can just add the ones I like beside and never touch any of the leaders if I want.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Is this another case of no PC review codes?

I really want this to not be 30 FPS limited.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Played about 20 minutes and decided to preorder. Definitely feels like classic VC, can't wait to play.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sad to hear about the possible issues with themes but I'll probably still get it to support the franchise.

I won't say it can only get better, but another game won't happen at all unless this gets some support.