• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
He's a sergeant who says this about an officer in front of an officer, he gets 'called out for it' in the sense of JRPG teenage friends calling each other oafs, but not in any kind of professional sense. The officer he then tries to flirt with just apparently brushes him off off-screen, but it's weird how they all think Claude is wonderful yet he has no control over or respect from his NCOs. It's a weird kind of army that evokes the gravity of a WWII-era military fighting for it's existence in a daring all-or-nothing campaign with people dying by the thousand on one hand and anime high school antics that ignores how militaries actually work on the other. Raz is ticking the 'comedy sex pest' box from the grand list of anime/JRPG tropes, but following VC1 it just feels a bit odd for a Darcsen sergeant who would surely need to be a bit more careful when it wouldn't take much for an officer to wreck his life. It's like the main plot is taken from a war film but the squad dynamic taken from a teen comedy, it just feels a bit odd to me.

One thing I did like about Raz is that his friendship with the sniper where she keeps him out of trouble is an echo of their battlefield roles where his job as a shocktroop leader is to be up close and aggressive and hers is suppressing fire to cover him.

To be fair, the army in this world isn't a one on one represantation of modern militaries to begin with. The whole federation army seems to barely hold together and they don't seem have that long of a training for recruits to begin with. For all we know the 2 europan wars that happened in this world so far could be the first ones where there actually is a more sophisticated hierarchy. Plus the whole group were friends before entering the army so they don't have a classic officer-soldier relationship anyway.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
To be fair, the army in this world isn't a one on one represantation of modern militaries to begin with. The whole federation army seems to barely hold together and they don't seem have that long of a training for recruits to begin with. For all we know the 2 europan wars that happened in this world so far could be the first ones where there actually is a more sophisticated hierarchy. Plus the whole group were friends before entering the army so they don't have a classic officer-soldier relationship anyway.
It seems a bit of a stretch for a war so clearly inspired by WWII that such industrial powers have had zero history of hundreds of years of warfare previously and thus no concept of rank. The federation army deployed to Operation Grand Cross (and supported by a Navy) is massive and represents a force that has been watching the empire build up for years while spending years developing mechanised warfare based on ragnite that is only now running out, it doesn't seem like a war where the concepts of multiple ranks of 'officers' and 'sergeants' and 'discipline' and 'high command' are a new idea with everyone just making it up as they go. Otherwise I'd expect more confusion from the cast about how a large military actually works, rather than just otherwise unquestioningly accepting the concept of following a command structure in combat.

They might well have been friends, but it still makes Claude a pretty shit officer if he just lets his childhood buddy harass people without thinking about the consequences. At one point Claude says nothing while Raz is mouthing off at the female lieutenant giving them increasingly dangerous missions, and then again says nothing at the time while Raz is perving over the next female officer he sees too. You'd think at some point Claude would finally tell him to shut the fuck up for the well-being of both Raz and the whole platoon. It just seems like it's handwaved with only minor comments because Claude's trope from the list is 'generic inoffensive JRPG lead', ready and waiting to get slapped by the 'tsundere' female lead, and Raz got 'comedic sex pest'. It's just the same tedious, templated teen friends stuff we've seen time and again but now pasted onto a unit of soldiers in urban warfare with permadeath and continent-wide military heirachy and cities being burnt to ashes, and to me it seems just as out of place as the generic high school shit did in VCII.

I thought the inter-squad drama worked better in VC1 because Welkin and Alicia both came from a different place and were younger than the more experienced (and more racist) Rosie and Largo, and it made the journey more interesting to watch the latter two soften. Those characters felt like individuals, whereas with these ones, because it's yet another generic teen crowd, each with a trait from a shortlist rather than a history, I feel like I've seen them before in any number of other JRPGs.

Last edited:

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Well, I liked this?

I've never played a VC game before, but I'm liking it. I like Fire Emblem games, but I didn't like the Codename Steam demo, so I thought I wouldn't like this demo, but I'm enjoying it so far.

The tutorial is bad (too much information on a small time, you don't have time to test things and then it throws you more new information), but I'm replaying missions with time to test things and I'm liking it.

Some questions though:

* Do characters level up?
* I like to play with Snipers more than with other classes (higher accuracy from farther distance). Is this OK or am I playing it wrong?
* I still don't understand the differences between some classes – like Scout and Shocktrooper, as an example - is there somewhere I can read about them?
* Further maps have multiple paths? I've played just the first two ones on the demo and they seem to be linear, but with multiple paths this game seems to be really great.

I'm playing on Switch, but the first game is cheaper on Steam. Is it a good game to start with the series?

Thanks.
Characters do not level up individually. Instead, you train classes up as a group in the training field at headquarters using the exp you gain at the end of battle.

Snipers are good, but they have a lot of drawbacks other classes don't have, They have limited ammo, low defense, low movement range, and can't defend anything since they lack interception fire and can't counter-attack. They also are inefficient against enemies that are crouching behind cover, since they rely on headshots. They are best used in a supporting role for other troops, but any enemy standing in open ground is easy prey for them.

Scouts and shocktroopers are going to be your main forces, so it is important to learn their differences.

Scouts move far, see far, have long range, and have a wide 270 degree arc to their interception fire. They have poor defense, and they are reliant on headshots for kills, which makes them unreliable at killing. Use them to search wide areas, strike vulnerable targets like engineers or snipers, and capture poorly defended bases.

Shocktroopers have good survivability and reliable killing power. They have less range and can only intercept in a forward 90 degree cone, but whatever they shoot at tends to die, even if under cover. They are going to be your best choice for charging through interception fire and attacking enemy chokepoints or well-defended bases. It is good to use tanks and grenadiers to support them, though. Also keep in mind that they don't move as far as scouts.

Using multiple routes is going to be essential in these games, so look forward to that. Keep an eye out for how to use a side route even in the first skirmish.

And it is always a good idea to buy and play the original game, regardless of format.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Sexist Garbage in VC4

So I've been playing the demo, and quite enjoying it - although the chat between missions seems to drag on and on. I was on the way to ordering the game. Then I hear this:

"Check out the ass on that. I'd love to swab her deck"

What.

Why is this even in the game? This may be a problem throughout the industry, but am I out of order taking offence at this line? I don't see the need for this in the game, and it speaks of a culture that I believe should have died out last century.

tl;rd: - 1 sale.
Holy shitballs.

I mean I was already not getting the game after Aeana's nuclear bomb in a previous thread, but holy shit.

Fuck this game.

I just spoke with my husband, who played the Japanese demo, and he said he doesn't remember anything like that in the Japanese demo. Which leads me to believe this was a localization choice, which is even worse. Can you or someone else please explain the context, if you can?

Oct 26, 2017
I've never played the Valkyria Chronicles games before but I think I might start with this one, depending on whatever else I might want or need to get. The game's fun enough to play and it's pretty different from the two SRPGs I'm used to: Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics, which just makes for a more fresh experience for me. There's plenty of variety with the different classes, making them all useful for different reasons, and the usage of multiple routes and character placement adds some depth to the game-play. The game's art-style...isn't doing much for me. It's not bad but I feel that it's colors are a bit too dull. I feel similarly about the game's music. Granted, it's a game taking place during a war but the tone hasn't exactly played up the severity of war all that much as it's relatively light-hearted.

For those of whom who've played the original game, would you guys say it's necessarily or preferable to play it? If I'm ever gonna play it, I figure I might as well play it on a portable system

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've never played the Valkyria Chronicles games before but I think I might start with this one, depending on whatever else I might want or need to get. The game's fun enough to play and it's pretty different from the two SRPGs I'm used to: Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics, which just makes for a more fresh experience for me. There's plenty of variety with the different classes, making them all useful for different reasons, and the usage of multiple routes and character placement adds some depth to the game-play. The game's art-style...isn't doing much for me. It's not bad but I feel that it's colors are a bit too dull. I feel similarly about the game's music. Granted, it's a game taking place during a war but the tone hasn't exactly played up the severity of war all that much as it's relatively light-hearted.

For those of whom who've played the original game, would you guys say it's necessarily or preferable to play it? If I'm ever gonna play it, I figure I might as well play it on a portable system
Honestly, they seem similar enough that I don't think it's necessary- VC4 feels like an iterative sequel to VC1, and that's pretty much what lots of fans wanted. I'd start with VC4 (as that's what everyone is going to be talking about), and if you really enjoy it then you know you'll like VC1 too. I like FE and FFT too, and sure, I think you'll find the combat system refreshing with its mix of turn-based and action elements. And tanks. :D

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Holy shitballs.

I mean I was already not getting the game after Aeana's nuclear bomb in a previous thread, but holy shit.

Fuck this game.

I just spoke with my husband, who played the Japanese demo, and he said he doesn't remember anything like that in the Japanese demo. Which leads me to believe this was a localization choice, which is even worse. Can you or someone else please explain the context, if you can?
One of the supporting characters, the loud and uncouth Shocktrooper Seargent, sees a female navy officer and says that. The rest of the cast roll their eyes and shake their heads at his idiocy, and then the Sergeant is shot down by the navy officer off-screen.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I liked this?

I've never played a VC game before, but I'm liking it. I like Fire Emblem games, but I didn't like the Codename Steam demo, so I thought I wouldn't like this demo, but I'm enjoying it so far.

The tutorial is bad (too much information on a small time, you don't have time to test things and then it throws you more new information), but I'm replaying missions with time to test things and I'm liking it.

Some questions though:

* Do characters level up?
* I like to play with Snipers more than with other classes (higher accuracy from farther distance). Is this OK or am I playing it wrong?
* I still don't understand the differences between some classes – like Scout and Shocktrooper, as an example - is there somewhere I can read about them?
* Further maps have multiple paths? I've played just the first two ones on the demo and they seem to be linear, but with multiple paths this game seems to be really great.

I'm playing on Switch, but the first game is cheaper on Steam. Is it a good game to start with the series?

Thanks.

To add to some of these

1. Characters specifically don't but the classes do, potentials unlock class wide which give the characters different stuff.

2. I like snipers too but they have a big weakness with small AP. They can't move much so you don't really want too many of them, outside of big sight lines or having a tower vantage point they can't do much. They're best used near a base, you can retreat them and redeploy at a farther in camp to save a lot of time.

3. Scouts are the mobility gods and shock troopers are better at combat. Shock troopers are amazing when you put them by a sandbag overlooking a route when the enemy moves as they tear people up that cross by. Scouts shoot a lot slower, though if this is like the first game the scouts have a higher range to engage defensively IIRC.

4. Not just routes but also split deploy sections at the start.

First game is really good so it's worth it for sure.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Holy shitballs.

Fuck this game.

It is not a localization choice, that character is meant to be an annoying pervert asshole. He changes as the story progresses though. It is a pretty common running theme in the series to have characters morality change as the story progresses.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Just played the prologue. It's Valkyria Chronicles. Can't ask for more really.

Eases in like #1. I would expect to full game to ramp up a few chapters in much like that too. Early ones were heavy on instruction, light on challenge.

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, they seem similar enough that I don't think it's necessary- VC4 feels like an iterative sequel to VC1, and that's pretty much what lots of fans wanted. I'd start with VC4 (as that's what everyone is going to be talking about), and if you really enjoy it then you know you'll like VC1 too. I like FE and FFT too, and sure, I think you'll find the combat system refreshing with its mix of turn-based and action elements. And tanks. :D
Ahh...I see. So, assuming that VC4 continues to feel like how it currently does, there wouldn't be too much of an incentive to play the first one, unless I'm particularly into this game? That's fine by me. Between the Switch, the PS4, and, at the moment, the XB1, I have a ton to play as it is :P

Yeah, it's a rather unique game for me so far. I don't necessarily know if I'll like it for dozens of hours but I at least liked what I played so far

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Enjoying it so far, though the pauses in conversation when I skip dialogue seem excessive (Switch).

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying the demo. When the game finally releases and I transfer my save data, my squad are going to be straight savages and destroying the imperials.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, I unlocked her. She seems to be much weaker than her brother.
Does the Ace soldier in the second mission drop anything worthwhile? His evasion is ridiculous.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Looks really good on Switch in portable mode.
That said, the tutorial is overly long and each battle takes forever. I don't have time for this anymore, I prefer the faster approach of Fire Emblem, Advance Wars and so on.

Halloumiface

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shitballs.

Fuck this game.

Someone answered above while I was asleep, but what was the Nuclear Bomb?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is this game an improvement over vc1?

Normally I have fun with the game, but I can't never finish it because I lost interest

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
Sexist Garbage in VC4

So I've been playing the demo, and quite enjoying it - although the chat between missions seems to drag on and on. I was on the way to ordering the game. Then I hear this:

"Check out the ass on that. I'd love to swab her deck"

What.

Why is this even in the game? This may be a problem throughout the industry, but am I out of order taking offence at this line? I don't see the need for this in the game, and it speaks of a culture that I believe should have died out last century.

tl;rd: - 1 sale.
Sounds like accurate army behavior if you ask me *shrugs*

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game. I was already planning on getting it, but I wasn't really "hyped" for it. But man that demo was a lot of fun and reminded me why I liked the first so much.

The new Grenadier class is interesting. Scouts are still OP as fuck, and shock troopers are still pretty useless.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a Guide with medals and hidden recruits?

Couldnt find any :/
I found this.
Eileen Complete a mission after Kurt has been knocked out and recovered. This was the only member I was missing.
Gertrude Save up 1,000,000 DCT. You shouldn't even need to farm for this and you need this much DCT to earn the War Profiteer (Bronze) trophy anyway.
Simon Defeat 250 enemies. Again easy unlock.
Mabel After clearing a certain number of side missions.
https://blog.lhyeung.net/2018/06/16/valkyria-chronicles-4-platinum-trophy-guide/

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found this.
Eileen Complete a mission after Kurt has been knocked out and recovered. This was the only member I was missing.
Gertrude Save up 1,000,000 DCT. You shouldn't even need to farm for this and you need this much DCT to earn the War Profiteer (Bronze) trophy anyway.
Simon Defeat 250 enemies. Again easy unlock.
Mabel After clearing a certain number of side missions.
https://blog.lhyeung.net/2018/06/16/valkyria-chronicles-4-platinum-trophy-guide/
Thx, i guess only eileen is feasible

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man I am so hyped for the full game now. Feels so good to be back in the VC world, and the game plays like a dream in handheld mode.

Rosetta seems to be a trans character? That's pretty cool.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Was trying to get the best round times I could for each level. Not sure if it was mentioned, but there's a cap on how much money and experience you can get. 10K experience and $15K. Level 4 for each troop type. So no hoarding for the main game. Ah well. Guess I'll just anxiously await for the release to finally knock chapter 1 out in 3 rounds. I was so close!

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty lengthy demo.

Scouts still seem imba.

Fun game.

Can tell that it was definitely made on a budget tho.

Disappointed they didn't deal with a lot of the menu/orders clunk from VC1.

Characters are all anime tropey as hell tho. I don't remember VC1 being this bad, but it was ages ago.

New Mortar unit is great, character is lame tho.

Hope the PC version doesn't have the weird aliasing on the mouths.

Non Story Squad members don't seem anywhere near as interesting as VC1's as far as I remember.

Oh wow, lmao.

That's pretty fucking blatant.

Kind of funny they have shit like this but they don't ler you upskit her on the model viewer.

Well I'll probably get it in a few years, still need to replay VC1 on PC first.

Edit: Actually looking at them ridiculous DLC shenanigans I'll probably just wait 1/2 a decade until it's all bundled as dead cheap.

Last edited:

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Playing the demo on Switch, and it reminds me how much I loved the first game, but also what a time sink it was. I wish everything in this series moved about 30% faster

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is really made on a budget. Its graphics and interface are hardly improved from the first game which is 10 years old, and I think the animated cutscenes (which were awesome in the first game) are gone completely?

I do like the demo though, was actually warmed up once it ended.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Liked the demo. But I really hope the full game does some stuff to set itself apart from VC1.

I wish Sega hadn't led the series on this decade long loop-the-loop of PSP installments (VC3 needing a fan translation) and the shit Revolution game to VC4 which kinda feels like it could be VC2.

Day 1 purchase for sure though.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Pretty lengthy demo. Surprised at how similar it is to the first games core mechanics-wise in a good way.

Tank using 1 CP is great and Grenadier is very useful. Maps also seem a lot better balanced with less difficulty spikes than the first, though thisnisnonly the first free missions in the demo I'm going off, Inexpect the proper full game to differ.

Don't suppose there's a way to fast forward enemy turns that I'm missing is there? Biggest issue I had with the first game.

Also not a fan of the new characters. Way too tropey. I mean the original games squad 7 weren't exactly the most believable bunch with Lieutenant "My tank so i'm in charge" Welkin but Claude is just straight up pathetic. How the hell did he make officer? And two main characters with quasi-cat ears? Really?

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty lengthy demo. Surprised at how similar it is to the first games core mechanics-wise in a good way.

Tank using 1 CP is great and Grenadier is very useful. Maps also seem a lot better balanced with less difficulty spikes than the first, though thisnisnonly the first free missions in the demo I'm going off, Inexpect the proper full game to differ.

Don't suppose there's a way to fast forward enemy turns that I'm missing is there? Biggest issue I had with the first game.

Also not a fan of the new characters. Way too tropey. I mean the original games squad 7 weren't exactly the most believable bunch with Lieutenant "My tank so i'm in charge" Welkin but Claude is just straight up pathetic. How the hell did he make officer? And two main characters with quasi-cat ears? Really?
You can go into the options to speed up enemy turns