• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With this new game running on the CANVAS engine as well, I wonder what the possibilities are that they'll put the original Valkyria Chronicles on Switch?

Would be worth it both for fans & SEGA.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Oh my fucking god they actually announced a proper one.
Fucking yes though I will admit it is ridiculous no pc version has been announced yet, looking at either ps4 or switch version at the moment.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
...can people really not think of a better descriptor than 'anime' being something negatively associated with

I feel like its a habit a lot of westerners who don't like anime traditionally associate with it. Or more casual watchers associate with more modern anime interpretations.

Saying something is by the numbers, boilerplate, bog standard or out of context scenario wise makes sense. Saying something is "anime" pretty much just boils everything down to a nonsensical term that can mean anything. Its not really productive at all

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
christ, VC2 looks so out of place. do they at least change into military-esque garb on the battlefield?

I mean, they do, but it's not too different - little-to-no armor, etc.

latest

If there's better examples out there feel free to post them.

Here are some cutscene stills of the students changed into combat uniforms:

Even if you want to give VC2 shit for being set in a school, their uniforms aren't out of line for a military academy (modulo the anime length skirts). As far as armor goes, you can see that characters are appropriately armored as dictated by their class. Cosette is a medic, and even the medic in VC1 didn't have any armor:

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox One, day one.

As someone who mainly plays on Xbox, thanks SEGA. Even though Valkyria Revolution was bad I'm happy you let me play that trash on my Xbox.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Definitive version by far, especially considering the awesome UI enhancements made by moders and the ability to play at high frame rate with the cut scene models.
By far is bit of a stretch, but it's a great port that will run on anything.
You can mod it with higher quality models and run it downsampled to increase image quality, but the Remastered version on consoles has few features exclusive to them that puts it on par with the PC version, but only if you're playing on Full HD & 60FPS.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
Guess it's about time I played this series. Started the PS4 version of the 1st one and enjoyed it, but only as a quick look. Didn't really try to dig too deep into it at the time. This looks pretty nice, reminds me of the first one and was sad to hear the series was on a decline with that apparently crappy Revolution game that came out recently.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Hot damn, I was just talking about how the series was wasted with PSP sequels. No PC at launch is disappointing, but I assume they need time to make sure the port is unoptimized.

Null Pointer

Senior Localization Producer for SEGA @ Atlus
Verified
Nov 20, 2017
Irvine CA
::taps mic::

Hello, is this thing on?

Hey everyone, it's Sam Mullen, Senior Localization Producer here at SEGA/Atlus, and I just wanted to poke my head in and say hi and let you know we are super excited that you're super excited with the announcement of Valkyria Chronicles 4.

I know there's a lot of questions about how this is going to play out, and certain... elements... seem to be missing from the announcement, but we do hear you and hope that you will stick with us as we move into 2018 and unveil more information about VC4 over the coming months. We are literally in the middle of recording the English dub, and the EU Language translations are currently underway, so while everything feels very 'Japan-focused' at the moment, trust me when I say that this is a global initiative and we are rolling this one with all the perks.

There's definitely more to reveal and talk about in the future, so stay tuned!

Hello, is this thing on?

Hey everyone, it's Sam Mullen, Senior Localization Producer here at SEGA/Atlus, and I just wanted to poke my head in and say hi and let you know we are super excited that you're super excited with the announcement of Valkyria Chronicles 4.

I know there's a lot of questions about how this is going to play out, and certain... elements... seem to be missing from the announcement, but we do hear you and hope that you will stick with us as we move into 2018 and unveil more information about VC4 over the coming months. We are literally in the middle of recording the English dub, and the EU Language translations are currently underway, so while everything feels very 'Japan-focused' at the moment, trust me when I say that this is a global initiative and we are rolling this one with all the perks.

Oh my, this bodes well for a quick turnaround time from the Japanese PS4 release.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Thank you for the update Null! I guess Sega was serious about their change of heart regarding investing in traditional gaming again. And...close to simultaneous world wide launches too? Oh times have changed. There was a time when i thought this would never happen

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017

Hello, is this thing on?

Awesome news! Now how about that English version of VC3? ;)

thebisonxrc

Oct 25, 2017
Cool! This is going to be a great game to play on the Switch. I can't say I saw this one coming. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more about it.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why the hell is this game localized by Atlus? Do Sega even have their own localization office anymore or we should expect all future Sega Japan games to be localized by Atlus? Back when Atlus was acquired, we all thought Sega, as a much bigger company, might be able to help Atlus with managing, marketing and other affairs, but it seems to be the other way around.

Why the hell is this game localized by Atlus? Do Sega even have their own localization office anymore or we should expect all future Sega Japan games to be localized by Atlus? Back when Atlus was acquired, we all thought Sega, as a much bigger company, might be able to help Atlus with managing, marketing and other affairs, but it seems to be the other way around.
I think it's been said that for non-Sonic projects, Atlus is pretty much Sega of America these days.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017

Because SEGA owns ATLUS and can ask them to help with localization?

Oct 25, 2017

Hello, is this thing on?

whens ps4 theme

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit my dreams have possibly come true.

Though no PC(side note what the fuck is wrong with you Sega) has diminished what should be great news for me.

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Atlus USA is sega now, Atlus USA has all of Sega's marketing power at their disposal. Atlus of japan(aka index) has all of Sega of Japan's marketing power at theirs

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

Hello, is this thing on?

For a brief moment I thought there were going to be EU language dubs, but it looks like that's not the case. Too bad! :P
Believe me when I say that this announcement is 10000x better than Revolution's, it's the kind of global concurrent announcement that I didn't think Sega was capable of pulling off, I am pleasantly surprised at how everyone is getting the message at the same time. Here's to the game's success!

EDIT: While you're here. Is there a reason why the textures in the screenshots are so fuzzy? Can we have someone at the Atlus offices take some downsampled shots for us? Pretty please? :P

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio

there's going to be a $100 special edition a la yakuza 6, isn't there

i'm going to preorder it day one, aren't i

YES PLEASE

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Hello, is this thing on?

Just wanna drop by to thank you guys from sega (before someone shouts "he's not responsible for ports he's localization) for the xbox version

I bought Valkyria Revolution so i kinda deserve it as an apology
, but its still super nice that we get VC4 too

Cheers

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Hello, is this thing on?

That's great to hear - and thank you for dropping by with this!

I'm sure we're all eager to hear more about the localization, voice acting, special editions (please please please let there be a tank scale figure or something similar), and release dates as we get closer to 2018.

I do hope, however, that the voice acting & localization is more... 'natural' than recent efforts? Persona 5's sudden decision to undo or otherwise change multiple tried-&-true aspects of Atlus localization was jarring to many, and the original Valkyria Chronicles is an example of an extremely solid localization job by all voice actors & staff involved, both big & small name. Would love to see/hear more like it.

Regardless - thank you for working with SEGA so closely and announcing this as a worldwide release from the get go,

Wishing you all the best, soldiers!!

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017

Hello, is this thing on?

A) I hope you guys got a great cast for the dub
and
B) after more announcements come out, it'd be really cool to have you do a Q&A on ResetEra about it.

That said, massive props to you for being proactive about this and taking the time to talk to us.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Atlus USA is sega now, Atlus USA has all of Sega's marketing power at their disposal. Atlus of japan(aka index) has all of Sega of Japan's marketing power at theirs
So it's like Sega America rebrand themselves as Atlus? Weird move I should say. You'd think Sega is a bigger name in the west.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

Hello, is this thing on?

Thanks for the update! Quick question, though I'm not sure if you'd have an answer yet.

Certain Nintendo Switch games support multiple languages, as in if you buy a Japanese copy but your Switch is set to English for example, the game will play in English. Given the worldwide focus, will this be the case for the Switch version of Valkyria Chronicles 4? I'm living in Japan right now, so it would be easier for me to get a Japanese copy.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I was surprised to see this coming to Xbox. I was always interested in the first one but never got around to buying the game when I finally got a PS3.

Think this may be a sign of better 3rd party support for Xbox from Japan?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I was surprised to see this coming to Xbox. I was always interested in the first one but never got around to buying the game when I finally got a PS3.

Revolution went to Xbox. I think its more to do with Sega of Japan wanting to get as wide a net as possible, not a concented effort by Japanese devs even inside of Sega like Atlus JP

RabidDwarf76

Oct 27, 2017

Hello, is this thing on?

You're doing God's work sir. I thank and salute you!

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017

Revolution went to Xbox. I think its more to do with Sega of Japan wanting to get as wide a net as possible, not a concented effort by Japanese devs even inside of Sega like Japan
Pretty much this, plus SEGA Japan realizing in hindsight that cancelling VC1's Xbox 360 port was a horrible idea.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017

Hello, is this thing on?

I wanto say THANK YOU for releasing this on Xbox.

I hope its easy and cheap to port and I hope it sells well. I had VC 1 on PS3 but switched to Xbox and this is one series I missed the most

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I mean, not as if porting to 360 would have made it sell any more. I don't blame them for that. I still don't think their investment now into XB will really do much. I think their investment in switch, and PC, outside of their Playstation home base actually makes a real difference.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017

Hello, is this thing on?

Thank you for the update and taking the time to talk to us! I'm looking forward to this game!