• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
7UyQlr8.png

This OT is best viewed with the Dark Theme enabled, and is brought to you by BRSxIgnition , Yunyo , and Giolon . This OT would not have come into existence without everyone's combined effort.

zHr0eL4.png

DEVELOPER: SEGA
PUBLISHER: SEGA
PLATFORMS: PS4 & Switch in Japan
RELEASE DATES: March 21st, 2018 (JP PS4) | Summer 2018 (Switch)
TECHNICAL INFO: Native 1080p @ 30fps on PS4 | Unknown on Nintendo Switch
LANGUAGES: Japanese Audio & Text
GAME SIZE: 26.23GB (PSN Full Game) | 5.33GB (PSN Demo) | ---GB (Switch Pending)
STORE LINK: Japanese Full Game
DEMO LINK: Japanese PSN Demo
SPECIAL EDITIONS: Titled "10th Anniversary Memorial Pack". Comes with exclusive DLC that will not be sold elsewhere.

pS9B2wI.png

I can't understand Japanese. When's the localization coming out?

The localization was announced to be coming in Fall 2018 on the official website although Amazon has a date of October 16th, 2018.​

Do I need to play Valkyria Chronicles 1, 2, or 3 before I play Valkyria Chronicles 4?

Not at all. Each Valkyria Chronicles game is almost entirely standalone. There are usually callbacks to the previous games in the form of cameo character appearances or newspaper articles, but there is nothing that would actively impede your enjoyment of VC4. Even VC2 which is a direct sequel to VC1 story-wise was an extremely standalone title, and there is nothing to suggest that VC4 will be anything different.​

Will this game have the same balance problems as the original?

While the jury is still out on the game's balance, judging by the mission designs in the demo, the issue of scouts finishing missions by themselves via overpowered orders has been extremely mitigated through the use of special objectives.​

Is there DLC? Is there a season pass?

There are two mission DLC exclusive to the limited edition and a season pass that consists of four individual sets of DLC. The first exclusive DLC mission is a collaboration mission between Squad 7 (VC1) and Squad E (VC4). The second exclusive DLC mission is a special mission where Edy (VC1) is a leader. Once you complete these DLC missions, Squad 7 and Edy will be usable in the VC4 base game. The season pass DLCs include these missions; "Squad E Going to the Beach", "Squad E without their Captain", "Expert Skirmishes", and "Valkyria Face-off".​

If I like [Game X], will I like Valkyria Chronicles?

Check out our Features section below for a description of the game and its charms. VC as a series is very unique, but people who enjoy X-COM and Fire Emblem will definitely feel right at home with VC4's turn-based tactical combat.​

How long is it?

According to the director, it will take roughly 60 hours to complete, but 100 hours for completionists. The scenario and number of battles is much larger than VC1.​

Is there NG+?

There is no NG+ but if the demo is an indication you can replay any mission at any time so the restriction from VC1 (that required you to play NG+ to replay any mission) has been removed.​

BicSovy.png

The Valkyria Chronicles series is set on a continent called Europa similar to the real world's Europe around the time of World War I. Following the Industrial Revolution in the 18th Century, demand for the mineral Ragnite skyrocketed due to its usefulness in everything from fuel to military weaponry to medicine, leading to escalating conflict between Europas two major powers, the Atlantic Federation in the west and the East Europan Imperial Alliance in the east. The year is 1935, and for the second time in recent history, the two powers enter full scale conflict.

While Valkyria Chronicles 1 details the story of Squad 7 of the small independent country of Gallia's militia as the Empire invaded the country for control of its Ragnite deposits, Valkyria Chronicles 4 tells the tale of Federation Squad E. Three months after the start of the war, the Federation is losing to the advances of the Empire's relentless attacks and superior numbers. Plans are made for a desperate counter attack against the Empire's capital city: Operation Northern Cross. Commander Claude Wallace, who led Squad E to an early yet bitterly fought victory over the Empire, is chosen with his squad to undertake this mission. Meanwhile, whispers of Valkyria, ancient people said to have been able to fully harness the powers of Ragnite, appearing on the side of the Empire have created an all new source of worry for the Federation's soldiers.

IQS9hys.png

Tv6GANj.png

Ck7c0mm.png

Okay, but why should I buy Valkyria Chronicles 4?

Valkyria Chronicles is a turn-based strategy RPG with semi-real-time action gameplay. Choose units to command or issue orders from a bird's eye tactical view, then take direct control, and hop right into the action. Fans of Fire Emblem and X-Com that always wished they could take that critical shot themselves should give this game a closer look. If that doesn't convince you, there's also:​

Six Unit Classes

The original five character classes make their return: the highly mobile Scout, the stalwart Shock Troopers, the anti-tank Lancers, the long range Snipers, and the highly supportive Engineers. Joining them is the new Grenadier class which boasts long range heavy artillery for shelling fortified enemy positions. Units level up together as a class allowing you to make sure that that all of your units don't fall behind.
Vehicles

Tanks make their return, now costing fewer Command Points to encourage their use, and returning from the sequels are APCs that can be used to quickly ferry your troops across the larger battlefields while providing a modicum of armored cover.
Brave System

When a unit is near death, they may - if you're lucky - activate the special "Brave" state. When activated, the unit can either "Entrust" their duties to an ally to recover 1 CP and buff a nearby ally or "Stand Up" once more, gaining one turn of invulnerability and 1 AP for an attack before falling on the battlefield and needing to be rescued.
Lovable Cast

Get to know an all new diverse cast of over 50 characters that's returned to the grounded roots of the original game rather than the anime high school or heightened shenanigans of the sequels. Each character has their own unique set of strengths and weaknesses based on their background and personality and often have their own side missions either alone or as groups to learn more about them and unlock their full potential!
CANVAS Engine

The CANVAS Engine is back with all new weather, dust and particle effects all in the series' signature watercolor inspired anime aesthetic. Fight through roaring dust storms, blazing fiery hellscapes, frigid blizzards and ice-sheets, and war-torn battlefields as you experience the wonder of playing a moving watercolor painting.
And More!

Valkyria Chronicles 4 also includes:
  • An all new sound track from original series composer Hitoshi Sakimoto.
  • Larger and more dynamic battlefields for bigger battles and grander strategies.
  • Finally, it also has a medic dog in a hat.
    • It's a dog...
      • ... wearing a hat...
        • ...that rescues your downed soldiers!

(Click to View Album)

zw7PoUI.png

Valkyria Chronicles 4 | Import OT| Thread Guidelines:
  • Be respectful and try to keep discussion SFW. (Otherwise please use spoiler tags!)
  • Refrain from posting spoilers. (Text, Images, GIFs, etc.) If you're even slightly unsure of whether or not something is a spoiler, please use spoiler tags.
    • Example: The Valkyria is actually...
      • the friends we made along the way.
  • Posting screenshots and GIFs is welcome and encouraged, but throw some words in there too, contribute to the discussion!
  • Have fun!

Last edited:

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Time to rock and roll.

Won't be able to start playing until later tonight but I hope all my fellow importers are having fun.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this out in English yet? No? Damn. Jealous of all the Japanese speaking players out there or those brave enough to go for it without being able to understand it anyway! Have fun, ya'll!

Kaidoi94

Feb 26, 2018
From what I've seen from the Japanese and Chinese streamers, it looks pretty solid. I'd like to post my impressions of the missions I've seen so far if that's okay (of course they'll need to be spoiler tagged right?)

Time to rock and roll.

Won't be able to start playing until later tonight but I hope all my fellow importers are having fun.

Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on it ;)

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've seen from the Japanese and Chinese streamers, it looks pretty solid. I'd like to post my impressions of the missions I've seen so far if that's okay (of course they'll need to be spoiler tagged right?)

Only story spoilers need to be tagged really - you can still post gameplay impressions, screenshots, GIFs, and videos as long as they don't ruin the story for others.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Also I would request spoiler tags of mission twists, though I understand if people feel like that's too much. Don't want to discourage anyone from posting.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I have ordered the 10th Anniversary Collector (with art book etc) so it will take a bit before I can actually play the full game, I'd say around two weeks.

Which is a good thing, I can concentrate on MHW and Ni no Kuni 2 before VC4 instead of having all 3 at the same time.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Tfw not a single mention of
squad 422

Well... they were
covert ops that only a select few in Gallia knew about. If Welkin/Squad 7 didn't know about Squad 422 until the DLC where they met, there's no way the Federation army would know.

I hope there's more DLC in the future that incorporates more fun stuff like maybe costumes or more missions featuring VC1/2/3 characters though, just for fun.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
Love Claude's design.

It's nice to finally have the lead character be the coolest looking one, instead of a secondary character you wish was the lead (ie. Balthier and Vaan).

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP might want to add that Chinese and Korean versions are also out.

Is that the one with the
Engineer with the headband that loves tanks?
No that's the second one I unlocked, haven't even looked into it. First one I got is the one with
three scouts

Last edited:

Kaidoi94

Feb 26, 2018
Some of my thoughts on the chapter missions (spoiler tagged to be safe)

Relatively straightforward mission with having two allied units reach a destination, though they need to navigate through mines and enemy ambushes due to poor visibility from weather conditions. The squad is split into two groups but the reason is made apparent once you progress as certain enemies are covering the path a group is on but not the other, allowing the other group to attack from behind and clear the way for the first group
Not to mention if you want to kill the ace
The second map has the player's units from the first map flee back to friendly lines while being surrounded by enemies, with additional reinforcements coming from the rear to chase them down. There's certain barriers that can be destroyed allowing your units to slip by the enemy and catch them by surprise instead of running face first into an ambush.

While this map is a main base capture mission, it's a bit of a doozy due to how large it is and the number of enemies there are, including multiple defensive lines with gun emplacements. However, you also have an APC available for use to transport your slower units up to the front lines though it'll have to be wary of AT units and tanks guarding the approaches. Additionally the gunfire from off the map isn't for show and actually does minor damage to your units
It's also pretty neat how you get access to a friendly tank squadron as support once you progress far enough
Map two is essentially a continuation from the first map with the same objective, though it's much more of an uphill battle (literally) due to numerous gun emplacements covering the approaches, though things get simpler once you're able to gain access to the interior of the defensive line as it goes to close quarters and trench fighting.
Map three is having an allied unit reach a specific destination, though both the destination and the allied main camp are surrounded by enemies (who will continuously attempt to capture it as well as call in reinforcements) on top of numerous gun emplacements and close quarters combat. However like in Ch 3a, a path can be taken to help clear the way for another unit to get to the destination, though of course it will be guarded...

Definitely more relaxed compared to the previous chapter, and it may look familiar to those who watched the live stream back in December ;)
The objective is to control all camps on the map and it's rather straightforward, though many buildings have rooftop access which often have enemies on them. In addition, the boss is guarding a camp but will actively attempt to take (or retake) camps and has a very high evasion rate.

Two phase mission like in Ch 1 and 2 from the demo, but the goal is to control all camps on the map, then kill every enemy (and/or was it hold out for x turns? My Chinese is pretty rusty). Pretty easy on paper but if you're not prepared properly things may get out of hand
Once the first part is complete, the boss shows up along with additional reinforcements, and as long as this boss remains on the field, additional reinforcements will arrive at the map entrances. In addition, the boss will issue orders to buff their units as well as call in mortar strikes on your position. Hilariously I saw a stream where the player use their entire turn to destroy the boss, but the following enemy phase wiped all their units out besides the Hafen. Ouch.

First map in the snow, with the objective of having 4 allied units reach the destination. Nothing much to say about it really, though you'll need to watch out for avalanches along with enemy reinforcements coming from the rear to pressure moving your units forward.
Map two is a main base capture, though you'll have to navigate through limited visibility on top of
Armored trains coming by and dropping off reinforcements as well as covering approaches with their interception fire
However there's a way to deal with the map gimmick but I haven't seen it done yet

The first map is a simple base capture mission as well as acting as a tutorial for a certain game mechanic.
Map two is a two phase mission where the enemy base camp needs to be captured, then a unit (the Hafen specifically?) needs to reach the destination. Again, relatively straightforward though the map gimmick may make things a little more interesting...
Once phase two begins, enemy reinforcements arrive along with boss units. These bosses unlike most other units will actively attempt to go for crits (whether infantry or tank), and you'll have to contend with intermittent weather conditions that limit visibility and drain AP faster. Oh, and enemy elites make their first appearance

I'll need to watch some of the streams later for the later missions along with some of the character fragments seen to give my impressions. Overall, I'm liking what I've been seeing so far, with plenty of map variety and objectives. There ARE a few reused tracks from VC1 in regards to player/enemy phase music however but I don't really mind it too much.

A few concerns/design choices that raise an eyebrow from me. Spoiler'd, to be safe
One of the R&D branches for the troopers, snipers, and scouts is Gallian weaponry where they generally have better accuracy but deal less damage compared to the Federal weapons. You'd think they could've just designed new weapons for the Federation instead that fits this niche rather than reuse weapons from a completely different country?
AT cannons being able to intercept is nice and increases their threat level, but for an "Anti-Tank" cannon, it deals pretty pathetic damage to tanks especially once you've invested in defense or use orders to boost vehicle defense. Maybe if their interception rounds dealt the same amount as their regular rounds or if both got a slight improvement they'd be fine.
Speaking of defense orders...they're still pretty strong. Nuff said.
Also while enemy tanks got their damage vs armored units increased compared to VC1, they're pretty gimped compared to your units. Both Medium and Heavy tanks (that I've seen anyway) have less health than the Hafen's base HP which is pretty sad given the Hafen is also a medium tank. Also, their mortars and MGs pretty much remained the same as in VC 1 when they probably should've also gotten a slight anti-personnel buff like the infantry weapons

Last edited:

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
12 hours (chapter 7, all side quests to that point done with all rank S), so far so good.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Two missions into Chapter 4. Most scenes in the game are in boxes, rather than full cutscenes. It's better than talking heads, but not quite what the original Valkyria Chronicles had to offer (even if it did use the same format half of the time). For example, a recent cutscene included a still of soldiers walking with a footsteps sound effect, some dialogue followed by a character firing their weapon in one box, then the soldiers falling back in another. It works, but it gives the impression of a scaled back title. I wonder how much development time this game received.

Edit: The cynic in me wonders if the cutscenes in the game are deliberately designed to be just long enough to include in a trailer. The last scene was like 20 seconds of soldiers and tanks getting ready for battle and moving out.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 5 so far, and really enjoying it. Mission design is super varied, and the soundtrack, unfgh.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chapter 5 is so much fun. I put three motors at the bottom left and bombed her ass off. So far the gameplay might be the best in the series.

Netto-kun

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly better screens of the upcoming DLC missions. Added some spoiler tags in case not everyone in this thread followed the other threads regarding the DLC missions/season pass.

1st DLC mission can be played after clearing chapter 10 and will unlock swimsuits for Claude, Riley, Raz, Kai and Minerva after clearing it.
2nd DLC mission can be played after clearing chapter 10.
3rd DLC mission can be played after clearing chapter 18.
4th DLC mission can be played after clearing chapter 18
and will unlock swimsuits for Crymaria, Nikola, Chiara and Selveria after clearing it.

uuExMq1.jpg
aIUrIu3.jpg
cOGaSls.jpg

GfY3nIg.jpg
acCBWGO.jpg
J3OxpxE.jpg

ZYVYOSY.jpg
HIlLIhw.jpg
DtMzL7W.jpg

yPMFvJP.jpg
DfD7Gyt.jpg
DPpBEZc.jpg

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Just based on description, the DLC is super disappointing. Valkyria 1 had exceptional DLC, and the extra content in 3 was okay too.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Soooooo I was browsing the Valkyria games on Amazon JP and VC3 E2's "features" mention end game spoilers like nobody's business.

WHY?!!

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Positive: Each chapter seems to be fairly consistent in regards to multiple missions, or circumstances that change mid-mission that put you on a new map. There seems to be plenty of content, to me. I'm mid Ch. 4 and look forward to what the rest of the game has to offer. I'm enjoying it more than 2 and 3.

Not so positive: Environments in this game look ROUGH. They reminded me of the kind of geometry you might see in FFXI, where the mountains etc all have rounded edges.

Kaidoi94

Feb 26, 2018
Maybe it's just me, but the hand grenades you get seem way too strong once they've been upgraded

Kaidoi94

Feb 26, 2018
I think they have always been strong. The range is shit so I think it's balanced.

Once elite scouts become a thing, I'm not sure about that (though the range got nerfed slightly) :P
At one point one of the later upgrades does nearly 500 vsPer and there's still a couple upgrade options left too

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

Sega stealing my ideas... (joking)

I have to admit this will be the first time I see a localization company play the unlocalized version of their game as a preview.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At chapter 8 now. I have to say the first half of the game gives a different vibe than previous games.

You don't feel alone and helpless in this game. You have a strong nation at your back.
I like this change of perspective.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Passing 25 hours.

Chapter 11, all mission ranked S (main, sub, skirmish).

Seem 100 hours compleation is another dev BS lol

Kaidoi94

Feb 26, 2018
Maybe if you wanted to really 100% everything including those characters fragments lol. Also, that 100 hours thing if I recall was from a translated Famitsu review, and I don't think they're the most reliable in regards to accurate gameplay time :P

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
100 hours thing came from this interview. https://game-maniax.com/archives/detail/14128
Could of course be BS but I didn't have a reason to doubt the director... though he makes a funny comment about the taste of foreign players.

By the way, the Squad 7 DLC is pretty long and you can definitely tell they put a lot of effort into it. Great cutscenes, cool missions. The fact that it's tied to the CE only is pretty sad, everyone deserves a chance to play it. I picked up my CE today and everything in it is great; glad I was able to use the Squad 7 DLC code without needing to unwrap the game.

The Edy DLC on the other hand is a total joke. It's basically a Hard Skirmish of the first map in the game; there's no pre-battle dialogue or in-battle dialogue, no relation to Edy whatsoever, you just complete the mission and Edy is unlocked. Pretty bad preorder bonus unless you reeeeally like Edy.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
100 hours thing came from this interview. https://game-maniax.com/archives/detail/14128
Could of course be BS but I didn't have a reason to doubt the director... though he makes a funny comment about the taste of foreign players.

By the way, the Squad 7 DLC is pretty long and you can definitely tell they put a lot of effort into it. Great cutscenes, cool missions. The fact that it's tied to the CE only is pretty sad, everyone deserves a chance to play it. I picked up my CE today and everything in it is great; glad I was able to use the Squad 7 DLC code without needing to unwrap the game.

The Edy DLC on the other hand is a total joke. It's basically a Hard Skirmish of the first map in the game; there's no pre-battle dialogue or in-battle dialogue, no relation to Edy whatsoever, you just complete the mission and Edy is unlocked. Pretty bad preorder bonus unless you reeeeally like Edy.

I probably should have bought the CE. :x For some reason I saw DLC with my preorder and thought oh, cool, I guess the normal version does have "the" DLC after all. Nope.

Hopefully they put it up for sale in like a year or so.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was wondering when this thread would pop up. Now that it's here, it's time to ask an important question: Is it better than Valkyria Revolution?

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok now I'm not so sure about the number of side stories. At first I thought every three characters share one side stories, but the thing is, after the side story, only one character gets updated in his profile. By VC3's tradition, in the end every character should have three paragraphs in his profile.

It might actually take 100 hours to grind everyone to corporal to unlock his side story.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok now I'm not so sure about the number of side stories. At first I thought every three characters share one side stories, but the thing is, after the side story, only one character gets updated in his profile. By VC3's tradition, in the end every character should have three paragraphs in his profile.

It might actually take 100 hours to grind everyone to corporal to unlock his side story.

Use some characters around 15-20 turns, he or she and their friend will show up as side story.
Hint: names in potential partner

Easy to miss characters
- To recruit Simon, kill 250 enemies
- To recruit Eleen, let her brother Kult (カルト) HP 0 and call medic for him