• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering when this thread would pop up. Now that it's here, it's time to ask an important question: Is it better than Valkyria Revolution?
Lol, of course.

Up to chapter 7 now. Slowed down to do side stuff. There's definitely waaaay more talking head conversations compared to the first, but the cutscenes they do have are pretty well done.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Use some characters around 15-20 turns, he or she and their friend will show up as side story.
Hint: names in potential partner

Easy to miss characters
- To recruit Simon, kill 250 enemies
- To recruit Eleen, let her brother Kult (カルト) HP 0 and call medic for him
Makes sense. I'll do what I did in VC3: try to use every character in the story instead of specifically grind for side missions.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a movie clip from the Squad 7 DLC. Warning! This scene is pretty cool so if you want to see it yourself for the first time on your own copy then restrain yourself! :P

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Some of the scenes in early ch. 5 look like they were meant to be animated, but ended up as in engine stills...

The writing is a poor match for the scenario. It might as well be a school again.

Edit: oh my god, this is the initial battle scenario, what? -_-

Last edited:

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an OP tank that I'll never be able to beat that will also cause me to ragequit?

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like my copy comes in today. So much for getting into Monster Hunter World, lol

Is there no way to get 60fps out of the game?

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck I didn't know I can save in battle....
No wonder I'm progressing slow. No S/L challenge.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
The Sega stream was at a bit of a weird time; early Friday means everyone is in school or at work. Only lasted an hour and only played the first mission. One of them said the PS4 Pro provides a resolution bump, but I don't have a Pro to check.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming my run from the beginning https://twitch.tv/starcreator

EDIT: Wrapping up for now. First impressions: this was pretty much everything I ever wanted after the first game.

Grenadier having interception fire strikes me as ridiculously good.

Almost pulled off a three turn victory on chapter 1 but came down to a scout having to run past two Shocktroopers in cover, which, uh, didn't happen lol

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At chapter 15. I like the balance of the game. Direct command and transfer vehicle really make classes with short range viable. I find myself using all the classes provided by the game.

I suppose you can still scout rush, but that's not the way I play. I always try to clear the whole map while getting S.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
The placement of the "Two Kais" chapter doesn't feel like it makes sense.

A ship appears, then suddenly Raz and Laylee are sharing coffee in the middle of the mountains again ???, and then after the recounting of what went down is over, the characters are aboard the ship. What?

Kaidoi94

Feb 26, 2018
It's pretty interesting how the Empire in this has more of a Russian/Soviet influence in regards to certain things like their newer tank models and certain lategame infantry weapons

They also used scorched earth tactics in a few instances and they don't take too kindly to collaborators. Plus, General Winter affects the Federation troops as they advance until they regroup and reequip themselves

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Are the rankings a bit more generous in this one? It was difficult to get anything higher than a C in most missions in the first game if you just played at a reasonable pace

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
The more I play the game, the more I like it. They really found a creative way to continue the series with the winter angle; it's better than the last two titles.

Are the rankings a bit more generous in this one? It was difficult to get anything higher than a C in most missions in the first game if you just played at a reasonable pace

I feel like it's pretty generous. I tend to get As.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

Kaidoi94

Feb 26, 2018
S ranking requirements definitely feel more lenient (no 1 turn victory conditions like in VC 1!). Plus two phase maps tend to give back some of your CP and/or refills your AP (if your squad automatically regroups)

cofias

Oct 30, 2017
I personally love the fact that it's apparently easier to get S rank now. I prefer to set my own challenge to F. Ex. Use a variety of tactics to clear all or most enemies while getting an S rather than just use one cheese tactic to speed run every level. It would be nice if they could somehow make the rank take other stuff than speed into account but this sounds much better than Vc1 at least. All those one turn S missions...

Kaidoi94

Feb 26, 2018
I personally love the fact that it's apparently easier to get S rank now. I prefer to set my own challenge to F. Ex. Use a variety of tactics to clear all or most enemies while getting an S rather than just use one cheese tactic to speed run every level. It would be nice if they could somehow make the rank take other stuff than speed into account but this sounds much better than Vc1 at least. All those one turn S missions...
Oh yeah, it certainly seems more possible to wipe out every enemy while still getting S ranks. Makes it all the more fun :)

cofias

Oct 30, 2017
Oh yeah, it certainly seems more possible to wipe out every enemy while still getting S ranks. Makes it all the more fun :)
Yeah, I mean I can definitely see the argument that it should be difficult to get an S rank, but I'm someone who really wants to go for them but at the same time it gets really old to just bee line past most of the enemies, and you often skip so much of the well-crafted maps and missions in Vc1 if you decide to do that. It's a shame.
Not to mention reloading missed shots.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now I know where 100 hours compleation come from, HARD mode is nuts lol

Goddemmit.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overall missions are harder in both story and skirmish.

Side quests and character recruitment related.

And some spoiler spoiler things.

Kaidoi94

Feb 26, 2018
I assume for the story missions enemies have better quality weapons and improved stats in that case?

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool if it acts something like a NG+, where enemies are buffed to around endgame levels from the get-go and you can continue with your final squad from the first playthrough.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mistake here, so far I only saw Hard mode in new mission post game, got confuse with in additional story secret mission.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
So since the trophies are translated into English, and trophy cert is usually one of the last things done in localization, it probably means the localization is done, and they're waiting for their porting teams to catch up. Then they'll release on all platforms in a grand fashion.

Having a lot of fun by the way, I keep screwing myself over with bad mission placement in the beginning but it works out somehow.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
So since the trophies are translated into English, and trophy cert is usually one of the last things done in localization, it probably means the localization is done, and they're waiting for their porting teams to catch up. Then they'll release on all platforms in a grand fashion.

Having a lot of fun by the way, I keep screwing myself over with bad mission placement in the beginning but it works out somehow.

I'm pretty sure the trophies were in English as soon as I played FFXIII in 2009.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Here's hoping that the 'grand fashion' includes a big and flashy collector's edition because I'd be all over that.

Glad to hear you're having fun, too!

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Busard, an acquaintance who is probably the most knowledgeable person the planet regarding VC, recorded a video showing off the brand-new Lancer team attack in action.
For those who don't know what I am talking about, in previous VC games Lancers were unable to join in "team attacks" where you could use two friendly units in close range to fire simultaneously. But now they can. As far as I can tell it only works if you do it with other missile-firing teammates like other lancers or the tank.

Unfortunately he showed it during chapter 5 (?) which is a minor spoiler, so I'll place it in spoiler tags.

Here's hoping that the 'grand fashion' includes a big and flashy collector's edition because I'd be all over that.

Glad to hear you're having fun, too!

I will be very disappointed if Sega does not make an LE for VC4 in the west!

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beat the game, all S, took me about 35 hours in game time (much longer in real time). Now onto the post game.

I only got 12 character chapters, how many of them in total?

Last edited:

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game, all S, took me about 35 hours in game time (much longer in real time). Now onto the post game.

I only got 12 character chapters, how many of them in total?

DZJkempVoAA-36g

Judging that I only have 7 characters not getting any episode yet, 17.
(Got all unit trophy)

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So is there 16, 17, or 29 fragments total? Do you know yet for sure? (Asking for the eventual western OT, come Fall 2018)
I think there are 17 in total. The wiki currently has 13, I have 3 that are not on the wiki, and there is exactly one character left and I've heard she has her own fragment, so a total of 17.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still at post game. From what I heard, people in general like the gameplay, but many of them have problems with the story and characters. I think the they are fine though, but I kinda have a weird taste regarding those things.

My biggest complaint is production value. The game needs more cut scenes and fewer talking heads. It also needs more original music.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Where was 29 come from? That's too much lol.

17 + 12, I was adding together you and Ater's posts, but there was likely a ton of overlap.

I think there are 17 in total. The wiki currently has 13, I have 3 that are not on the wiki, and there is exactly one character left and I've heard she has her own fragment, so a total of 17.

17 sounds good considering the size of the roster and the interesting stories that could be represented in that number of side missions.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Chapter 12

The story has taken a real turn for the worse, since the arrival of Ange. Of course we would go full "child Valkyria," if the one in 2 wasn't young enough. Then there's the spy stuff with Kai, which the writing is predictably unable to deal with, so it's going through hoops for as to why it's not going to be addressed now. "Please don't ask her!" Ugh.

At least the gameplay is fun and the missions are generally varied. The game isn't one that's uninspired, but the scenario department is lacking. Even if they managed to an exciting one for the characters to experience. It does a good job, at least post Ch. 5, of depicting a journey into the heart of the empire.

Chapter 13

Is Ange the "あれ" that belongs in the "door not to be opened?"

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chapter 12

The story has taken a real turn for the worse, since the arrival of Ange. Of course we would go full "child Valkyria," if the one in 2 wasn't young enough. Then there's the spy stuff with Kai, which the writing is predictably unable to deal with, so it's going through hoops for as to why it's not going to be addressed now. "Please don't ask her!" Ugh.

At least the gameplay is fun and the missions are generally varied. The game isn't one that's uninspired, but the scenario department is lacking. Even if they managed to an exciting one for the characters to experience. It does a good job, at least post Ch. 5, of depicting a journey into the heart of the empire.

Chapter 13

Is Ange the "あれ" that belongs in the "door not to be opened?"
I agree. I think the story has some interesting ideas, which is what I care about the most in a videogame story, but the writing can really use some improvement. Like, I get what the writer wants to say, but it can be told in a much better way. Most people I talked to hated the last few chapters, but I think those chapters actually show an interesting angle . But the writing is so bad. I totally understand if they rub people the wrong way.

I've seen people saying the protagonists look more like villains. I think this is exactly the writer's intention, but the writing itself is so bad people might just call it inconsistent writing.

Last edited:

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I agree. I think the story has some interesting ideas, which is what I care about the most in a videogame story, but the writing can really use some improvement. Like, I get what the writer wants to say, but it can be told in a much better way. Most people I talked to hated the last few chapters, but I think those chapters actually show an interesting angle . But the writing is so bad. I totally understand if they rub people the wrong way.

I've seen people saying the protagonists look more like villains. I think this is exactly the writer's intention, but the writing itself is so bad people might just call it inconsistent writing.

The game seems to want to be both a feel good, heartwarming story and a story of war, as well as
spies and betrayal,

and the result is just really contrived.

Also, someone at these game companies needs to spend some time around some actual human children. It's jarring when you actually do spend time around Japanese children, and then come across characters like Ange in the game.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I'm still at post game. From what I heard, people in general like the gameplay, but many of them have problems with the story and characters. I think the they are fine though, but I kinda have a weird taste regarding those things.

My biggest complaint is production value. The game needs more cut scenes and fewer talking heads. It also needs more original music.

Didn't really care much for VC1's story it was pretty generic IMO but good enough to set up gameplay scenarios. So as long as the gameplay is good that's fine.

Re: music is there a lot rehashed from across the games, or just VC1 or what?