• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
From both Sega's Twitter and our usual timely friends over at Gematsu comes the latest update for Valkyria Chronicles 4 and its DLC.

Check out the trailer below and you will be able to see the graphically touched-up Squad 7 including Alicia, Welkin, Rosie, Largo, and Isara. According to the video, all the old characters also got new voice work done. However I think this was a bit of a last minute decision to provide new voices because the new lip flaps are clearly not done yet.

The first print copies of VC4 (this includes the Memorial Pack limited edition) will come with a packaged-in DLC mission starring Edy from VC1, the most talented singer in the world. After you beat this mission, Edy becomes playable as a guest character for the story of VC4 and you get some unlocks. The unlocks consist of a special machine gun called "Majicks"(sp?) and a new tank sticker called "Squad 7's Idol...?".

The video then goes on to talk about the Squad 7 and Squad E collaboration mission. The game literally calls this a "dream mission" haha. You can see Isara act as a grenadier for the first time. Just like the previous DLC mission you can use all of Squad 7 as guest characters during VC4's main story after you clear it. I don't think you can use Edelweiss as a guest tank in the main story however since the trailer says "members", but we'll see.

Fun screenshots:
Edy's Mission
Looks totally different from any VC1 map I've seen, so this is definitely a new field.
JZUjOuf.png

Squad Loadout Shot

In the trailer, Sega couldn't remove their code notification in time, so they tried to black it out with a box (lol).
F5gqDUF.png

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That DLC is free, right? Or is Sega announcing paid DLC months before the game is even out? Because if so, that's disgusting and makes me want to wait for the game to get a huge price drop before getting it.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Of course there's DLC before the game is even out. I'm sadly not surprised.

That DLC is free, right? Or is Sega announcing paid DLC months before the game is even out? Because if so, that's disgusting and makes me want to wait for the game to get a huge price drop before getting it.

Please read the OP before commenting. At least one of the two DLCs is a bonus for early purchasers:

The first print copies of VC4 (this includes the Memorial Pack limited edition) will come with a packaged-in DLC mission starring Edy from VC1, the most talented singer in the world. After you beat this mission, Edy becomes playable as a guest character for the story of VC4 and you get some unlocks. The unlocks consist of a special machine gun called "Majicks"(sp?) and a new tank sticker called "Squad 7's Idol...?".

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like noncanon fanservice preorder DLC is new or something. This DLC seems alright. Shame no Vyse though.

OP
OP
Yunyo

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

Like Ignition said, first DLC is free, second is paid. However it's only free with first print copies and digital preorders.

Keep in mind this is Japan-side right now. We don't know how Sega / Atlus are going to distribute it.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like a testament to how well the original's art direction has aged if a sequel released a full decade later can get away with looking exactly the same.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like a testament to how well the original's art direction has aged if a sequel released a full decade later can get away with looking exactly the same.

I feel like people throw this around a lot but I don't think it looks exactly the same. Small improvements have been made here and there, as evidenced by the touched up models of the old cast and dynamic weather features like desert storms and glare, snow, avalanches, and more. At the very least models seem to use more polygons and the sharpness of the image has been bumped up.

But yes, the original, especially on PC and Remastered certainly holds up stylistically.

Last edited:

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How about some dlc starring the cast of skies of Arcadia and not that awful idol character.

OP
OP
Yunyo

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even tell the difference between this and the first game graphically.

That's surprising! There are way more polys and graphical effects overall. I think the biggest difference would be the field environments. I think people have forgotten how very primitive the 1st game was when it came to things like fields, structures, etc.