• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you decide who to bring on a mission?

• I pay attention during the mission briefing, duh!

Votes: 124 17.4%
  • I pick my favorite characters regardless of the objective.

Votes: 266 37.4%
  • I crunch any and all numbers/potentials to maximize my chances of victory on strength alone.

Votes: 29 4.1%
  • Mission? I thought I was picking a harem. All the good looking ones!!

Votes: 195 27.4%
  • Scouts. All scouts. Scout rushing is only fixed for the faint of heart.

Votes: 97 13.6%

• Total voters

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used the chapter 8 mock battle. Can load and abuse the APC to drive people past everything in one turn, gave almost 100k per run iirc.
That's what I saw on a Gamefaqs message board thread that Google returned to me, so that makes sense.

I'm in chapter 6, so I have a couple of chapters to go before I grind.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20+ hours into the game, and I've cleared out a majority of the loyalty missions. All classes are fully upgraded. I'm ready to roll through chapter 9 onward.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Beat it several months ago. I like a lot of the cast and their side stories. One of my favorites is the one who swears a lot and the terminator. Their banter is great heh.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Just ordered the game. Won't be able to play it for a while (haven't even finished the first one) but it was $20 physical and I like the series so glad to support it regardless. Shame they never did a steelbook for this one, I got it for the remaster and I really like how it looks.

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Didn't find a OT for VC in general, so I'm gonna hijack the thread a little to inform all Spanish-speaking VC fans that the VC3 fan translation has been released by Selvaria Team. That's all.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't find a OT for VC in general, so I'm gonna hijack the thread a little to inform all Spanish-speaking VC fans that the VC3 fan translation has been released by Selvaria Team. That's all.

Got an easy link for the Spanish speakers to find the fan TL? Linking to a fan TL patch is not against the rules, so you're safe in that regard, just can't link to a ROM.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm playing through it now and I'm wondering why you can't skip enemy turns.

Does the game not pre-calculate enemy actions beforehand like, say, Fire Emblem?

Am I missing a button somewhere?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through it now and I'm wondering why you can't skip enemy turns.

Does the game not pre-calculate enemy actions beforehand like, say, Fire Emblem?

Am I missing a button somewhere?
I dont think it does, since turns are a lot more complex than fire emblem due to the way crossfire works. It also is more important to see what happens on an enemy turn due to the amount of variables involved in this game versus something like FE

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm I was just finishing this up in my backlog but the part with Klaus Walz after his final battle felt really cheesy, like it stuck out like a sore thumb from the rest of the writing, not sure why they didn't just have him die after the chapter 15 mission.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm bumping this because I don't want to make a new thread just to ask: is the complete edition worth it? The regular version is on sale for like $10 on PSN and the complete is like $50. The DLC by itself is like $25. I would buy used but apparently the complete edition isn't available physically on PS4.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm bumping this because I don't want to make a new thread just to ask: is the complete edition worth it? The regular version is on sale for like $10 on PSN and the complete is like $50. The DLC by itself is like $25. I would buy used but apparently the complete edition isn't available physically on PS4.
That seems a lot for the DLC though if you're into the series you'll eventually want to play the Squad 7 DLC.
Maybe just play the base game first and see if you want more. Base game itself is a good 50 hours.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

Hm, I've seen the complete edition go for $10, so there must be something wrong going on. There shouldn't be different pricing for sales on PSN and Steam.

Oct 25, 2017
So the story DLCs are good, but very short. The beach story having some surprisingly good character moments, but its also only 2 missions. The captainless squad is longer iirc, but weaker from a story and character standpoint.

The Two Valkyria DLC is fun just for getting to play with 2 super broken characters, and getting to add them into your squad to steamroll things after you already beat the game, but really just for shits n giggles. They are just cheat characters.

Expert Level Skirmishes wasnt really my thing

Overall its not a great value compared to the main game being so cheap, but theres decent stuff in there.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

If you have a capable PC (and I think the bar for Valkyria Chronicles is pretty low but double-check if you're concerned) the version of VC4 on Steam is the Complete Edition now; at some point they just gave away all the DLC to previous owners and replaced the old version of the game with the Complete Edition package for the same price. That doesn't really help now, of course, but it'll almost certainly be on sale sometime in the next few months; I'd guess either during Lunar New Year or Golden Week in April.

Also, FWIW, the Complete Edition for PS4 has gone on sale a bunch, including January and February of 2021 and 2020, so decent chance it'll happen again (probably Lunar New Year again, just like on Steam).

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the info everyone! I guess I'll forgo buying the regular edition right now and wait for another sale of the complete edition since the DLC seems like it is, in fact, worth playing! :)

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't have to wait long :)

The complete edition is on sale right now for $15 with +, $19 regular!