• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you decide who to bring on a mission?

• I pay attention during the mission briefing, duh!

Votes: 124 17.4%
  • I pick my favorite characters regardless of the objective.

Votes: 266 37.4%
  • I crunch any and all numbers/potentials to maximize my chances of victory on strength alone.

Votes: 29 4.1%
  • Mission? I thought I was picking a harem. All the good looking ones!!

Votes: 195 27.4%
  • Scouts. All scouts. Scout rushing is only fixed for the faint of heart.

Votes: 97 13.6%

• Total voters

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Any tips for the Challenge Skirmish Dream Team to A rank it?

Got all other missions ticked off just this one.

Zombie Fred i know you did it in 2 turns so I'd appreciate any tips :)

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
SEGA's doing a survey of people who played the game, so be sure to let them know what you liked and disliked about the game.

Oh, very nice. Thanks for the link.

EDIT: Forgot about your PC players there Sega. :/

M8AsTtm.png

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SEGA's doing a survey of people who played the game, so be sure to let them know what you liked and disliked about the game.

I'll fill this out later tonight, thanks, think in particular I'll point out (if possible) some of the gameplay issues, good and bad...and some issues that I think need to be addressed for any future installments, mainly Raz and the (at times) egregious fanservice.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I already did the survey and mentioned a few things:
-The janky collision that wastes AP
-Grenadiers need a bit more vertical travel in the aiming camera
-Fanservice should be jettisoned
-Their "Valkyria = nukes" analogy has never made sense
-The talking heads cutscenes look cheap and have been outdone by the those little conversation scenes in The Evil Within 2
-They need to get rid of timing as a scoring metric
-It'd be cool to have suppressed weapons in future games, and make the Scouts work a bit more like Rangers from XCOM 2
-Lancers should have a melee move to counter people running up and shooting them
-Future games should take place outside of Europa/EW2

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
is there any point to mortar lances (which you get access to after leveling up your lancers to elites). i haven't tried them yet, but they seem pretty pointless. much lower range than the grenadier mortars and with lower mobility and adaptability than the tank, since you'd have to give up your armor piercing capabilities to use them. what d'y'all think
-The janky collision that wastes AP
agreed, i should have mentioned this but forgot
-Grenadiers need a bit more vertical travel in the aiming camera
agreed, thought about mentioning this, but in the end i didn't. grenadiers are powerful enough already. this is a decent way to nerf them slightly
-The talking heads cutscenes look cheap
yeah, this very much. can't believe i forgot to mention this
-They need to get rid of timing as a scoring metric
completely disagree. i love the rating system because of how it encourages aggressive play and risk-taking. so many other tactics games are all about being super cautious and peogressing at a plodding pace. i like that these games do this differently, and i mentioned as much in my comments
-Lancers should have a melee move to counter people running up and shooting them
don't think that's really needed. lancers are durable enough as it is. they're more tanky than even the tanks themselves
-Future games should take place outside of Europa/EW2
ooh this is an interesting idea. it would be interesting to see a game set in asia during the period, though maybe japanese developers wouldn't be able to treat that subject well.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I basically told them I loved everything aside from the hit detection and how everyone with long hair has it clipping through their faces. I also told them to bring a Panzer Dragoon collection and a Skies of Arcadia remaster next.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
-The talking heads cutscenes look cheap and have been outdone by the those little conversation scenes in The Evil Within 2
I don't have a problem with most of your points, but I want to comment on this one: the cutscenes might look cheap, but the advantage is that they are. This is not a big budget game, and I think the style of cutscenes allows them to have a lot more content on the same budget compared to other presentation methods.
I also feel like they fit well with the book presentation method, which is something I really love. (Also due to the ability to easily go back to any part of the game)

Regarding the survey, I appreciated this being an option:

On the other hand, I feel like this misses the obvious:
This is a sequel. The most influential thing which pushed me to pick it up was the quality of its predecessor.

There was definitely a PC option there.
Yeah, I had one.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
completely disagree. i love the rating system because of how it encourages aggressive play and risk-taking. so many other tactics games are all about being super cautious and peogressing at a plodding pace. i like that these games do this differently, and i mentioned as much in my comments
I don't feel like this game needs an incentive to be aggressive, unlike an XCOM, because of the way it's set up. I push forward pretty aggressively, although I find the general flimsiness of a lot of the soldiers gets in the way.
don't think that's really needed. lancers are durable enough as it is. they're more tanky than even the tanks themselves
It's more that it seems really dumb that they just can't smack people with the giant weapons they're carrying.
I don't have a problem with most of your points, but I want to comment on this one: the cutscenes might look cheap, but the advantage is that they are. This is not a big budget game, and I think the style of cutscenes allows them to have a lot more content on the same budget compared to other presentation methods.
I don't blame them for saving money where they can, but like, it can't be that much more expensive to have in-engine wideshots where the characters are standing around in the clearly modeled backgrounds. It also makes things less awful looking if and when the characters do overly dramatic hand motions - those fly outside the frames of the talking head boxes and look awful.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you enter a battle and give up to make new orders purchasable in the mess hall or do you have to finish a full battle to be able to purchase a new one? I'm trying to get Attack Weak Spot but haven't had it show up yet.

edit: I kept doing the first skirmish over and over (can complete it in one turn) and a new order was available to purchase in the mess hall each time. The very last order you can get is Attack Weak Spot. Got it!

Last edited:

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The talking portraits are infinitely better than cutscenes with the ingame models would be. It's a low budget game, you'd just get poorly animated 3D models in bland environments instead. This just reminds me of when Atelier went away from the VN style sprites and the presentation got worse.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Mysterious, I definitely did not have a PC option there. Maybe it was because I answered an earlier question that caused it to be removed?

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
It raises deep questions though.
What if you could end global warming and produce unlimited clean power, but it required strapping children to generators?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I don't blame them for saving money where they can, but like, it can't be that much more expensive to have in-engine wideshots where the characters are standing around in the clearly modeled backgrounds. It also makes things less awful looking if and when the characters do overly dramatic hand motions - those fly outside the frames of the talking head boxes and look awful.
I think you underestimate the complexities that would be involved with managing this amount of full-motion cutscenes. If they tried to do that on the same budget it would end up with a much worse quality of presentation overall.

Personally, I also don't think it looks awful at all -- it fits with the overall book aesthetic and works well enough.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
So Mecha-Musume, shipgirls, and weird shit like that is kosher, but Nuka-Musume crosses the line?
Nah, I think it's stupid to equate what's basically super powers with near zero downsides and incredible precision with WMDs that cause all sorts of problems due to the physics involved.
It raises deep questions though.
What if you could end global warming and produce unlimited clean power, but it required strapping children to generators?
I mean, they could do the same thing without the dumb forced moral dilemma stuff by finding radioactive materials and making nuclear reactors. Just recycle the fuel, or better yet use thorium, and you won't have that pesky radioactive waste lying around.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of postgame content to do as well. Pleasantly surprised to see so much content packed in.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
I did it!! I found a Skies of Arcadia reference!! I knew they wouldn't completely abandon it!

There's a lancer named Zivilyn the Bane!

:')

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After getting that final order, I was able finish the final boss on hard mode in 2 turns and get the true ending. Now I have a sense of closure. :)

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
I love how Jimmy is basically just a walking joke about death flags, but then
They play the whole 'I'm going to be a father soon' with Mika completely straight. Poor guy, I feel bad for laughing as soon as he said that. RIP.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Ugh.

The moment the loli's show up, this game tanks.

I HATE IT when they throw out game mechanics in order to try and attempt boss fights that are just stupid. "Let's watch these children rush down a tank, take virtually no damage, and destroy it WITH A CROSSBOW".

That shit sucks.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I just maxed my Scouts... at chapter 9. Grenadiers are level 17. Guess once they're maxed too, game will be on auto-win basically.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I can't find this game in any stores on any platforms. Gonna have to order online, but may as well wait until it goes down to $20, because I think it's going to quickly.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the presentation, I would be totally fine with the storybook cutscenes if it just wouldn't kick you back to the book every two minutes just so you can hit X a bunch of times to see the next section. Sometimes you'll watch one long story section and then when you jump back to the book there's multiple photos allowing you to jump to the beginning or middle of that section, so clearly the game can string together multiple VN or cutscene sections when it wants to. Just, y'know, keep doing it!

I've been proceeding through this game at a snail's pace. I've spent nine hours in the game so far and I'm only partway through chapter 4. The desire to go back and A-rank previous missions is too strong (and my skill at being able to A-rank them on the first run is spotty at best).

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Whoa, I was checking out personnel files and Rosetta is...
not a woman
?

And as far as I can tell so far, the game doesn't make a big deal out of it either. Huh, surprisingly progressive for Sega.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm Fully on Board with timing being the primary scoring metric. This game especially is clearly designed for it. Clearing a map offers zero challenge and often promotes inneficient play.

The game is more on the puzzle side of strategy and as its designed now it wouldn't work with a more sandboxy approach

Edit: they made smart changes to class balance too. Seems a lot more even now. Though scouts are still the best class and lancer are mostly overshadowed by better options..

Last edited:

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Quick question: is there a way to have cutscenes advance automatically without having to press a button after each person speaks?

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Whoa, I was checking out personnel files and Rosetta is...
not a woman
?

And as far as I can tell so far, the game doesn't make a big deal out of it either. Huh, surprisingly progressive for Sega.

Rosetta is a trans woman and presents as such so I would appreciate if you don't call her "not a woman". Thanks.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm done with this game.
Mission 15-1 and 14 before it kind of killed it for me.

Making these levels entirely about hitting a tiny weak spot is one stupidest idea I have ever seen.
You slightly missed? Too bad now you deal fuck all damage.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017

Making these levels entirely about hitting a tiny weak spot is one stupidest idea I have ever seen.

Damn you reminded me that I forgot to add that complaint to my survey, the element of "all or nothing" in the game is frustrating.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Damn you reminded me that I forgot to add that complaint to my survey, the element of "all or nothing" in the game is frustrating.

I wish there were at least success percentages attached to your reticule, similar to Fire Emblem.

This is my first VC game, and I'm loving the gameplay for the most part, but the hidden RNG elements aren't very appealing.

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017

I know what you mean, I pretty much threw everything and the kitchen sink at 15-1. I forgot to equip anti-tank mortars on my grenadiers, so it took a good few shots before I got something done.
17-1 (I think) was quite bad too, enemy starts first and blew up the Hafen in the first turn. That really set the mood for that fight.

I generally dislike the bosses, that didn't change from the first game.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have anti-tank mortars, but I never hit the weak spot.
Well, I got it exactly once, but then never again, so at least I know that it exists.
No idea what I'm supposed to aim at, or if I should just keep save scumming until it counts.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Quick question: is there a way to have cutscenes advance automatically without having to press a button after each person speaks?
Sadly not.

Unlocked all missions and got A rank on each one. That was an achievement I was aiming for and felt good to get them all. Unfortunately getting all squad to Corporal and trying to work out what Ace weapons I got and which I haven't aren't my idea of accomplishment or fun so I'm passing on those 2 trophies.

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017
I have anti-tank mortars, but I never hit the weak spot.
Well, I got it exactly once, but then never again, so at least I know that it exists.
No idea what I'm supposed to aim at, or if I should just keep save scumming until it counts.

For the Vulcan, radiator at the top, probably works better with the correct orders. Problem is you'll frequently hit the main turret, that's what happened to me when I went and replayed a few missions.
Any other tank, the sweet spot is in the back. The anti-tank mortar does have a very limited area of effect though.

I dealt with it using lancers and the tanks. You need to hit the treads though, for some reason a frontal hit didn't work.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
wow, interlude 2 is dumb

like really really dumb, lol

haven't gotten that far yet, but the there's an order that increases your accuracy that i've found very helpful for situations where i need to hit certain spots

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm only on Ch 8 (plus all skirmishes and a couple squad stories) but the Vulcan is one of the worst decisions I've seen in a long time. Especially these missions where he shows up midway thru... God help you if you don't have an anti-armor mortar on the field (and why would you?) when he shows up, and good luck watching multiple units die or be unable to move until the Mortar deploys.

I usually play the first attempt at a mission like it's a real battle, clearing enemies and advancing slowly, then I get the A-rank by rushing with the knowledge of cheap-shit traps and gimmicks that learned the first time thru.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Chapter 14 was the first mission that was so fucked up that I had to start over from scratch with a strategy specifically to beat its bullshit. Every other mission up to that point I was able to roll with the surprises, and even often still end up with an A, sometimes a B.

For missions where you need to destroy a tank or other armored objective quickly, remember that Lancers can do co-op attacks now, so bring them up in a pack of 3 and then start firing. Keep in mind that it does use ammo for each one that attacks, so have an Engineer handy to resupply.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the mission.
All it took me were 2 turns of continues fire from a tripple lancer commando.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
lol the female main characters' winter outfits look almost identical to their normal ones. at least the male main characters' and rank-and-file soldiers (male and female) have cool winter outfits
I'm only on Ch 8 (plus all skirmishes and a couple squad stories) but the Vulcan is one of the worst decisions I've seen in a long time. Especially these missions where he shows up midway thru... God help you if you don't have an anti-armor mortar on the field (and why would you?) when he shows up, and good luck watching multiple units die or be unable to move until the Mortar deploys.
i'm at the same point as you and don't mind it that much

in 4-3 riley will come pre-equipped with an anti-armor mortar (unless you go in and change it yourself RIGHT before the battle), and other times you can just call in reinforcements. i always have two grenadiers with anti armor ready in my reserves. in chapter 6 i think it's pretty fitting that you get surprised by the vulcan and have it shoot down your troops. it fits well with the objective of the battle which is just to try and hold on by any means necessary, and it helps make the battle feel more desperate. in 7-2 the mission briefing warns you that you'll meet armored trains so i made sure to deploy with an anti-armor grenadier