• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you decide who to bring on a mission?

• I pay attention during the mission briefing, duh!

Votes: 124 17.4%
  • I pick my favorite characters regardless of the objective.

Votes: 266 37.4%
  • I crunch any and all numbers/potentials to maximize my chances of victory on strength alone.

Votes: 29 4.1%
  • Mission? I thought I was picking a harem. All the good looking ones!!

Votes: 195 27.4%
  • Scouts. All scouts. Scout rushing is only fixed for the faint of heart.

Votes: 97 13.6%

• Total voters

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Loving the game so far. I just reached chapter 6, been trying to unlock squad stories when I can so I can just play favorites and not worry about unlocking them later.

One thing I noticed so far is that the squad members aren't featured much in the story, compare something to VC3. I just love it when even secondary characters get screen time during story missions/events. It made me care more about the characters. It's probably the reason VC3 is still my favorite game in the series. The game so far is mostly Claude/Raz/Kai/Riley/Miles instead of Squad E as a whole compared to Kurt & the Nameless.
When Miles was going to take a picture of Squad E, I was expecting the characters we have so far, instead, we just got the main 4 + rags lmfao. I was a bit disappointing since I thought it'd be like when Squad 422/Nameless took a group picture.
vS9FEpx.jpg

I kind of agree and kind of don't. I don't know how much of the burden to place on the fan localization (which is still very good and is the reason why I was able to play the game in the first place!) and how much of this comes from the original writing, but VC3 had a real problem with how ridiculous the secondary squad members were and the ways in which they'd appear in the story. I became convinced that dominatrix-lady and her bottom would only ever show up in the game to make a dumb BDSM joke every so often, and the same went for a lot of other characters in the game. It made those characters feel paper-thin, and for the most part VC4 manages to avoid this. So far, the secondary squad all seem like real people with real foibles rather than being stupid tropes and stereotypes, and I wonder if the same would be true if you had to find ways to cram those same 20+ characters into the main story rather than giving them their own side stories to breathe a little.

That said, I suppose they could've done both. The two things aren't mutually exclusive, and maybe the writers would've been up to the task.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a post detailing the requirements to get squad members that have special requirements? I was surprised it wasn't in the OP

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a post detailing the requirements to get squad members that have special requirements? I was surprised it wasn't in the OP

You mean like Eileen, Gertrude, Stahlschrott, Mabel etc? You can use this:

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/7805-valkyria-chronicles-4-trophy-guide#19-squad-e-all-present

But if you want a post:

Eileen - Complete a mission while rescuing Curtis from a critical state
Mabel - Complete 3 Squad Stories
Gertrude - Have 1000000 DCT on hand
Stahlschrott - Complete 1 Hard skirmish
Brian, Sergio, Andre, and Louffe - Complete Hard skirmish 5

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
And finished (29 hours). Liked much better than VC1, especially story-wise. I hope they don't give up on this franchise. Another mgical experience on Switch <3

julian

Oct 27, 2017
You mean like Eileen, Gertrude, Stahlschrott, Mabel etc? You can use this:

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/7805-valkyria-chronicles-4-trophy-guide#19-squad-e-all-present

But if you want a post:

Eileen - Complete a mission while rescuing Curtis from a critical state
Mabel - Complete 3 Squad Stories
Gertrude - Have 1000000 DCT on hand
Stahlschrott - Complete 1 Hard skirmish
Brian, Sergio, Andre, and Louffe - Complete Hard skirmish 5

Thanks! I'll get on this right away

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Damn, I hate how late the first DLC pack is launching for PC players. All other platforms have access to it right now.

Starting to get anxious over the rumors saying PC will get the DLC together all at once at the end of the year.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
so what weapon variants are y'all using?

so far, i'm going for accuracy boost for scouts, engineers and lancers, normal boost for shocktroopers, bullets up for snipers and split my grenadiers between anti-personal and anti-armor

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

so far, i'm going for accuracy boost for scouts, engineers and lancers, normal boost for shocktroopers, bullets up for snipers and split my grenadiers between anti-personal and anti-armor
I went with 7 shot rifles for scouts/engineers, accuracy for lancer, 30 shot for shocktrooper, 3 shot for sniper, same as you for grenadiers

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Firepower for Scouts - 2 extra bullets is worth the accuracy reduction.
Clip Size Up for Shocktroopers - More damage than the other branches, and accuracy is never what you're really going for anyway with Shocktroopers.
Accuracy for Lancers - the damage reduction isn't much, but the accuracy improvement is critical to making sure you're always hitting tank weakpoints at range.
Clip Size Up for Snipers - When you realize the damage rating is per bullet, you realize these rifles are OP broken as fuck. Accuracy isn't that bad at high levels anyway. The only exception is for maps where the relative lack of range is a weakness.
Grenadiers - Tailored towards the mission (anti-personnel or anti-armor)

In spoilers,
man, I'm really bummed out Raz is gone. This puts a big hole in my lineup, not to mention having 1 fewer CP. I'm also concerned for Annie's fate. What a heartwrencher/
. Only a few chapters left to go.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They can have my money because I want more Valkyria Chronicles. I'll do whatever it takes.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada

Accuracy for scouts, engies, snipers and lancers, clip size for shocks and I have two grenadiers in my roster, one spec'd for anti personnel and one for anti armour. The tank's spec'd accuracy and magazine size.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
No, it's $7. They really overpriced the DLC for this.
All of the DLC is more expensive in Japan. I believe the beach one is the equivalent of 15 USD there.

Even if they are a bit overpriced still, the majority of the DLC seems pretty good for what it is. The only DLC that seems outright crappy is the Edy one (I never really cared for her much either). That said, I am only really hyped for the Squad 7 and Two Valkyria ones, mainly because they add a lot of replay value to the main game. I cannot wait to use Selvaria to cheese some of the harder skirmishes.

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
I kind of agree and kind of don't. I don't know how much of the burden to place on the fan localization (which is still very good and is the reason why I was able to play the game in the first place!) and how much of this comes from the original writing, but VC3 had a real problem with how ridiculous the secondary squad members were and the ways in which they'd appear in the story. I became convinced that dominatrix-lady and her bottom would only ever show up in the game to make a dumb BDSM joke every so often, and the same went for a lot of other characters in the game. It made those characters feel paper-thin, and for the most part VC4 manages to avoid this. So far, the secondary squad all seem like real people with real foibles rather than being stupid tropes and stereotypes, and I wonder if the same would be true if you had to find ways to cram those same 20+ characters into the main story rather than giving them their own side stories to breathe a little.

That said, I suppose they could've done both. The two things aren't mutually exclusive, and maybe the writers would've been up to the task.

I agree it did get a bit trope-y but for a game released in 2011, it was understandable because a lot of the characters trope's were taken from popular anime during that time. Leila/Alfons had the whipping gag but Alfons was actually prominent throughout the game since he was the main scout the Nameless which he prides himself too since his backstory deals with why he was sent to the Nameless. Leila basically became the bigger sister of the group, to the point where if Kurt needs some convincing she started to whip him to set him straight.

VC3 cast despite being tropey, the characters were misfit/outcast that was banished and sent to mission expecting to die. That was the reality of The Nameless, which made the characters stand out because they all had reason to survive and not just be a throwaway by the military. Instead of showing faceless peons, you get to see members of the Nameless throughout the story showing their value during different missions.

It also hits hard when Gursurg first went AWOL and the characters all started to have doubts on what to do. The two most powerful line in that scene:
Alfonso: Its not just the tank. Its that a man of Gursurg's caliber would run away.
Deit: What will happen now that ship lost its rudder...?

The execution was just beautifully done. From the start of when Kurt was transferred, it was Gursurg that kept the squad together until they accepted Kurt. The man they respected and the one that kept squad 422 is now missing.

I might be bias but it was also pretty cool how we earned Carisa as a tank driver. Compare to Dan/Ronald. Carisa was your classic penny pincher trope character but she was always there and basically an unofficial nameless until she was blamed for the events regarding Gursurg/Gas. It wasn't something like "hey you lost your tank driver, here's a random one" instead we got to see Carisa throughout the story until she finally got banished to the Nameless squad lmfao.

As someone mentioned from the other post, permadeath feels like a step back. It wasn't needed since players would save scum to make sure to not let anyone die. Playing the Interlude: Other Kai, that was the stuff that's missing in the main story imo. It just made me wanted more of interaction between the main cast and secondary cast. I mean in my POV, majority of the time I rely on the secondary characters more than the main cast during the actual missions, it just would be nice just to see those character play a bigger role similar to VC3.

Edit;

I decided to explore the personal room and it was kind of disappointing to see the stats only has overall Kills.I enjoyed when VC3 ( I think 2 had it too?) with the Deploy count/Enemy Kills/Best Combo/Most used class. I decided to look at my VC3 file again and its nice seeing some stats. Spoiler since some are extra/hidden or late game character
Deploy count:
1. Kurt - 69
2. Riela - 67
3. Imca - 59
4. Margit - 57
5. Carisa - 53

Enemy kills
1. Kurt - 275
2. Margit - 228
3. Imca - 195
4. Riela - 149
5. Clarissa - 120

Last edited:

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
No season pass option?

I totally would have bought one. Not really into the beach one, but the others I would have played for sure.

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
I got to say chapter 6, 7 & Interlude: Other Kai was one hell of a ride. Like holy ****.

Man that mission was a freaking ride lmfao. I fell for the scout rushing since 2 camp within my proximity. I paid dearly getting my **** kicked in. I had to bring in an extra grenadier to take down Vulcan.

7 was amazing. Showing the hardship of having low supply, no winter gear and etc and then giving Squad E a shimmer of hope when they managed to take the supply depot then throwing realizing that taking over the depot cause the other Ranger squad to be annihilated. I know its not Squad E's fault but damn when Minerva started blaming Claude just made me think that too, maybe if Squad E ignored that supply depot then maybe Squad F and the rest of the ranger corps would still be alive.

Interlude: Other Kai was fantastic, the interaction between squad members and how they worked together to help Leena not blow her cover was great. The mission was unique as well. I hope we get more of these, just seeing how the squad bonds gives me life.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I had good fun with the beach DLC. Going for the aces was pretty challenging in a fun way! Overpriced for sure, but I do recommend fans of the game check it out in a future sale.

No season pass option?

I totally would have bought one. Not really into the beach one, but the others I would have played for sure.
There was one in Japan. Not sure why we are not getting that here, but it is worth noting that all of the DLC is way cheaper here so we pay less either way.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, as kind of overpriced as the DLC is here...I remember reading the Japanese prices being way worse.

Still glad I only paid 80 bucks for the CE, saves me a bit on buying the actual DLC too.

Also, to chime in on the earlier conversation, I kind of did enjoy the nameless a weee bit more that Squad E, even if a bit tropey, some of them really stood out.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It is a shame you could not get into it, but I know how you feel. I love SRPGs more than most people but I am hyper picky about every little thing. It unfortunately means I only end up enjoying like 5% of the games in the genre.

Maybe Shin Sakura Taisen will be more up your alley when that comes out.

EDIT: Hoping this did not come off as condescending. I just personally am constantly bummed out by not liking SRPGs because little things get to me.

I couldn't accept not liking the game and it was itching me to continue, so I read a lot more about the different classes, and it finally clicked for me! Chapter 4 had quite a difficulty spike if you are unfamilair with the series. This refers to things like a lancer not firing back during your turn, really understanding commands well, utilizing the APC for your goals. I've beaten Chapter 7 now and think I will finish the game! I guess there will be some grinding in the days to come though, as I only now have reached my first elite classes. I still don't like a couple of things and find them rather illogical, e.g. reaching a flag to complete your mission sometimes can lead to rushing to get A ranks, and in parts seems to be more important than clearing the battlefield. But there's many things to like as well. I now finally know I CAN save mid-battle, this also made a huge difference.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
is there any actual meaningful content, in the form of interesting combat maps, in the beach dlc

i would be loath to financially support something that is just animu boobies waifu swimsuit fan service bait

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
is there any actual meaningful content, in the form of interesting combat maps, in the beach dlc

i would be loath to financially support something that is just animu boobies waifu swimsuit fan service bait

My opinion of the beach DLC has the same complaint I do for many of the other DLCs; your level and R&D isn't locked, so if you've already gotten past say, chapter 14, you're going to completely steamroll the mission without much thought. I think the only merit behind the beach DLC would be if you tried to clear it as early as possible, but that might not be doable given the final mission objective requires you to be able to deal a large amount of unevadable damage with a single unit in a small enclosed space.

That and the whole draw of the swimsuits is to wear them, but if you're at that point, you're almost done with the game. So in other words, I would only get the beach DLC if you really want swimsuits for a short period. I would imagine the hardcore day one buyers are already done with the game at this point, so you have to ask yourself if it's worth unlocking swimsuits that you'll never get to actually use, on a mission that won't put up a fight at all, if you've already cleared everything.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
My opinion of the beach DLC has the same complaint I do for many of the other DLCs; your level and R&D isn't locked, so if you've already gotten past say, chapter 14, you're going to completely steamroll the mission without much thought. I think the only merit behind the beach DLC would be if you tried to clear it as early as possible, but that might not be doable given the final mission objective requires you to be able to deal a large amount of unevadable damage with a single unit in a small enclosed space.

That and the whole draw of the swimsuits is to wear them, but if you're at that point, you're almost done with the game. So in other words, I would only get the beach DLC if you really want swimsuits for a short period. I would imagine the hardcore day one buyers are already done with the game at this point, so you have to ask yourself if it's worth unlocking swimsuits that you'll never get to actually use, on a mission that won't put up a fight at all, if you've already cleared everything.
i don't care about the swimsuits at all

but i am now in chapter 10, so maybe now would be perfect timing for me to do this content, in terms of difficulty?

still, the whole situation is stupid. dlc released after the game is released should be balanced as a challenge for people who are in the end-game. the way the souls games balance their dlc expansions is perfect

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
i don't care about the swimsuits at all

but i am now in chapter 10, so maybe now would be perfect timing for me to do this content, in terms of difficulty?

still, the whole situation is stupid. dlc released after the game is released should be balanced as a challenge for people who are in the end-game. the way the souls games balance their dlc expansions is perfect

I don't think it's possible to do it that early unless someone more hardcore can correct me. You need to be at least at chapter 13.... maybe. The mission requirements are pretty harsh and you need to be able to withstand and deal out a ton of damage. Let me correct my earlier statement and say you will steamroll the DLC if you are chapter 16 or later.

Of course this does not apply if you play on Easy I think.

Oct 25, 2017
Im on chapter 11, bought the beach DLC and finished up the first map. All the units were around the same level as me. Had to repeat it 3 times. Once beating it without realizing I had missed the bonus objectives (kill all aces), a second time to find all aces, and a 3rd time to actually kill them.

Was actually a pretty fun map, and its unique to every other map ive seen so far. I'll do the second map today.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Im on chapter 11, bought the beach DLC and finished up the first map. All the units were around the same level as me. Had to repeat it 3 times. Once beating it without realizing I had missed the bonus objectives (kill all aces), a second time to find all aces, and a 3rd time to actually kill them.

Was actually a pretty fun map, and its unique to every other map ive seen so far. I'll do the second map today.
honestly this sounds better than i was expecting

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Third time I'm restarting the 4th mission because a scout took the initial base. Now I have 5 units on lockdown down there.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
How is the postgame? I see there are some Hard skirmishes available and some postgame recruits, anything else notable?

I didn't know it was two maps, that is nice at least.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

The second battle is the one I was referring to in my post. The first one is pretty easy and can be done at any time.

However I believe you do not get all the swimsuits available for use unless you defeat both missions and kill the ace in the second one. And that is where I think you will need higher leveled units.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I'm currently mid-battle in chapter 9 so being overlevelled for the DLC isn't so much a problem. Hearing that it has two missions with bonus objectives is actually selling me more on the beach DLC than I thought I'd be.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't accept not liking the game and it was itching me to continue, so I read a lot more about the different classes, and it finally clicked for me! Chapter 4 had quite a difficulty spike if you are unfamilair with the series. This refers to things like a lancer not firing back during your turn, really understanding commands well, utilizing the APC for your goals. I've beaten Chapter 7 now and think I will finish the game! I guess there will be some grinding in the days to come though, as I only now have reached my first elite classes. I still don't like a couple of things and find them rather illogical, e.g. reaching a flag to complete your mission sometimes can lead to rushing to get A ranks, and in parts seems to be more important than clearing the battlefield. But there's many things to like as well. I now finally know I CAN save mid-battle, this also made a huge difference.

The game doesn't actually expect you to have Elite soldiers until
Chapter 8
, judging by when they start throwing Elites of their own at you, so you're a little ahead.