• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you decide who to bring on a mission?

• I pay attention during the mission briefing, duh!

Votes: 124 17.4%
  • I pick my favorite characters regardless of the objective.

Votes: 266 37.4%
  • I crunch any and all numbers/potentials to maximize my chances of victory on strength alone.

Votes: 29 4.1%
  • Mission? I thought I was picking a harem. All the good looking ones!!

Votes: 195 27.4%
  • Scouts. All scouts. Scout rushing is only fixed for the faint of heart.

Votes: 97 13.6%

• Total voters

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
I'm a fan of Valkyria Chronicles, but damn the AI and the dialogues in this game are so, so bad.

Second mission I fight the "big" tank, and each and every time it ends up stuck somewhere shooting at walls. It must be the third or fourth mission I win because of the AI.

In the previous mission, the mock battle, an enemy unit that was hidden next to one of my unoccupied camps stood up, and ran to another camp far away that was heavily guarded resulting in its death. The camp where it came from was empty!

I really don't understand how an AI can be this bad in this day and age.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fan of Valkyria Chronicles, but damn the AI and the dialogues in this game are so, so bad.

Second mission I fight the "big" tank, and each and every time it ends up stuck somewhere shooting at walls. It must be the third or fourth mission I win because of the AI.

In the previous mission, the mock battle, an enemy unit that was hidden next to one of my unoccupied camps stood up, and ran to another camp far away that was heavily guarded resulting in its death. The camp where it came from was empty!

Enemy movement in this game seems almost completely pre-scripted. They follow preset paths until something gets in their way then attack anything that happens to be in their sight wherever they end up stopping.

Certain enemies are also not even triggered until certain flags are raised by player actions. If the enemy starts leaving CP on the table, you know you're not being aggressive enough.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018

Frankly I think the AI needs to be a little obtuse based on the mechanics. I would hate having actual MP against a human opponent with this game where enemies could easily rush my base, decrouch my base guards with a grenade and cause a mission fail without much effort.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I think the AI needs to be a little obtuse based on the mechanics. I would hate having actual MP against a human opponent with this game where enemies could easily rush my base, decrouch my base guards with a grenade and cause a mission fail without much effort.
I give thought into how actual PvP would work in a game like this from time to time. The conclusion I keep coming to is that concessions have to be made in the game design to make it so whoever goes first doesn't just steamroll who goes second. At a minimum, it would have to be changed so that the enemy main base has to be held for a whole phase to trigger a win, and each team has to have reserve bases inaccessible to the enemy. Of course, these changes come with their own problems...

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I give thought into how actual PvP would work in a game like this from time to time. The conclusion I keep coming to is that concessions have to be made in the game design to make it so whoever goes first doesn't just steamroll who goes second. At a minimum, it would have to be changed so that the enemy main base has to be held for a whole phase to trigger a win, and each team has to have reserve bases inaccessible to the enemy. Of course, these changes come with their own problems...

It would be really interesting to see how one could make an engaging and viable multiplayer game with Valkyria Chronicles! But personally, the reason I like playing VC is that I like a solo activity where I try various strategies and methodically take over the map. It's soothing. But that gets into personal tastes for single player vs multiplayer.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I couldn't accept not liking the game and it was itching me to continue, so I read a lot more about the different classes, and it finally clicked for me! Chapter 4 had quite a difficulty spike if you are unfamilair with the series. This refers to things like a lancer not firing back during your turn, really understanding commands well, utilizing the APC for your goals. I've beaten Chapter 7 now and think I will finish the game! I guess there will be some grinding in the days to come though, as I only now have reached my first elite classes. I still don't like a couple of things and find them rather illogical, e.g. reaching a flag to complete your mission sometimes can lead to rushing to get A ranks, and in parts seems to be more important than clearing the battlefield. But there's many things to like as well. I now finally know I CAN save mid-battle, this also made a huge difference.
Happy to hear it! Valkyria 1 took awhile to click with me personally, so I know how you are feeling.

I know it is almost like cheating but I find the most enjoyment from save scumming personally. I guess if the devs did not want you to do it they would not allow it at all though. Also if you end up having serious trouble (some of the later missions were very hard for me) do not feel bad about watching guides online.

Oct 25, 2017
The second battle is the one I was referring to in my post. The first one is pretty easy and can be done at any time.

However I believe you do not get all the swimsuits available for use unless you defeat both missions and kill the ace in the second one. And that is where I think you will need higher leveled units.
I was wrong, im on chapter 10 not 11.

I just finished the second map, took me 7 turns to be able to get the ace before clearing the mission. Clearing super easy, could do that in 2 turns if I didnt have to spend so much time to get the Ace.

Fucking raz....that was legit pretty damn funny

Last edited:

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Re;MP/PVP

Here's how I'd design things.

1. First Turn player gets half-CP on their first turn, and perhaps another handicap (VC2 PVP had this as an option)

2. Cool-Down between cycling Target Mode to nip that exploit in the bud.

3. Win Condition is capping all bases and wiping the other player's units or holding their Base for 3 turns. Or perhaps some other non-cap objectives like CTF or "Payload" with the Tank.

Oct 25, 2017
now that I've finished the last cutscene of the beach dlc, some quick thoughts for those considering it.

What you get:
1 Map
2 Missions
5 Costumes (all swimsuits of course)
12 Cutscenes

Overall, for 7 bucks its of course relatively bad value compared to the game itself, but as 7 dollar DLC goes its not bad. The missions are going to be pointlessly easy though since they arent scaled, but doing them right at Chapter 10 they were a good challenge and play differently to missions I've done in story so far, since hunting the Aces is a legitimate requirement and they are super far off from the main objective.

The cutscenes ranged from cliche anime, to heartfelt, to legitimately funny.

RigVertigo

Oct 31, 2017
Finished at 30-something hours. Got the true ending, did all skirmishes, and a handful of side stories. A-ranked most of it.

Enjoyed it very much. Doesn't hit the same emotional notes as the first one IMO, but the gameplay is still classic Valkyria. Scout rush has been replaced by APC rush though. I swear I would just load it up with a 3-man team and ride to the enemy base like an Uber of death.

Fuck that final mission though. The way the game WANTS yout to complete it is kind of impossible. So I found a nice way to cheese and it and won it 2 turns.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Finished at 30-something hours. Got the true ending, did all skirmishes, and a handful of side stories. A-ranked most of it.

Enjoyed it very much. Doesn't hit the same emotional notes as the first one IMO, but the gameplay is still classic Valkyria. Scout rush has been replaced by APC rush though. I swear I would just load it up with a 3-man team and ride to the enemy base like an Uber of death.

Fuck that final mission though. The way the game WANTS yout to complete it is kind of impossible. So I found a nice way to cheese and it and won it 2 turns.

...Umm... What do you mean exactly?

Final Battle seemed pretty easy and straightforward to me, no cheese needed. It's the only Final Boss in the series I've done in a single try.

Probably because it's just Batomys but in an open area instead of a linear setpiece.

Oh yeah and that reminds me, thank god that VC4 largely did away with the filler Setpiece levels of VC1.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doing the final mission the intended way is doable... it just took me pretty much an entire morning to complete lol

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...Am I missing something..?

Is there some secret other than "Destroy the four radiators"?
That's all you have to do, but I:
*on the first phase got Riley to the ship (luckily Minerva's double AP ability kicked in)
*went around the whole map and took over all the bases
*had my engineer blow up the ice blocks to block the holes so that he could only surface in one place
*had an engineer go to the back of the tank to construct the ladders
*used a lancer to climb up the ladders and blow up the radiators one at a time (every time you blow up one radiator the rest close up and my lancer would get thrown off, plus reinforcements appear behind it whenever you blow one up

Once I found out about the easy way though I never did it the other way again lol

Last edited:

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
That's all you have to do, but I:
*on the first phase got Riley to the ship (luckily Minerva's double AP ability kicked in)
*went around the whole map and took over all the bases
*had my engineer blow up the ice blocks to block the holes so that he could only surface in one place
*had an engineer go to the back of the tank to construct the ladders
*used a lancer to climb up the ladders and blow up the radiators one at a time (every time you blow up one radiator the rest close up and my lancer would get thrown off, plus reinforcements appear behind it whenever you blow one up

But once I found out about the easy way, I never did it the other way again lol

0_0

On my first try, my gameplan went as follows.

Turn 1: Get Riley over to the Centurion via APC (with an Engineer and other Grenadier on board)
Turns 2-5: Drive right up to the Tank's new position and blow up a radiator, and have Kai cull the reinforcements if necessary.

Whole thing seemed fairly straightforward to me. Of course I glossed over a lot of other fine-details involved but I cleared it in five turns like that.

OFC I've not touched Postgame yet so I don't know if I'll have to approach it differently for a replay for that other bonus.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Is the best method for grinding money known yet?

Just realized Vancey's squad story is tied to Gertrude so I want to get grinding.

RigVertigo

Oct 31, 2017
...Umm... What do you mean exactly?

Final Battle seemed pretty easy and straightforward to me, no cheese needed. It's the only Final Boss in the series I've done in a single try.

The game steers you toward the method that Celsius described.

Capture all the bases. Plug up the points where the tank can spawn. Destroy the turrets so the engineer can build ladders. Lancers climb up and destroy radiators, oh but when you destroy one, the rest of them lock down.

My method: First turn, get Riley up to where the tank will spawn. Second turn, load up on orders and hit smack dab in the middle of the tank. Two mortars usually do the job.Hey Riley, aren't you supposed to be on the ship shutting down the self destruct mechanism?

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even get halfway through the available R&D when new stuff becomes available without running out of funds - what's the best skirmish map to grind for money and exp? Is it that one on the crystal sea?

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the best method for grinding money known yet?

Just realized Vancey's squad story is tied to Gertrude so I want to get grinding.
I grinded the final boss (hard mode) using the 2 turn approach for 211k DCT per victory:

https://youtu.be/p9RyIwyidGs

It doesn't take long using this method but you'll need the Attack Weak Spot and Blast Boost orders and will also probably want to equip Riley with a strong anti-armor lance and use demolition boost as well.

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So ... played a bit more, chapter 7, but mostly doing skirmishes and squad stories before continuing the main story. But ... i have to talk about Vancey, whom i got after beating chapter 6.

I'd like to know which higher-up officer thinks it's a great idea of having a soldier, who's clearly suffering from a major PTSD, and due to that having a massive alcohol problem, put into a ranger squad acting deep in imperial territory.

A character like her would've made sense in VC1, where the militia is basically made of people who're unfit for the regular army for whatever reasons. But on a squad of an alleged elite corps of a large army, it doesn't fit at all. Especially when looking back at the earlier missions. Like ... why do you have to be tested in a battle you're not even supposed to win, when a random PTSD-suffering alcoholic just simply manages to join the rangers.

Mind you, i haven't done her squad story, but at the moment, i have no idea what use Vancey is going to have.

Oh and ... dear Hafen, if you're standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF an enemy, it would be ace if you wouldn't miss like 90% of the shots aimed at said enemy. Thank you.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Finally, I started the game (only played prologue and the howitzer mission).

Loving it so far: environments look far better than in the first game, the art is as good as always and the music is good. Gameplay seems refined, the new options will surely be handy in the hard battles.
Maybe it lacks the charm from the first game (VC4 starts a lot faster than the first game, you have a full soldier company and the characters are barely introduced) but I trust the Valkyria Team to deliver some good moments during the campaign.

After playing Dragon Snorefest XI and CrimeToken-Man (only joking, I liked both games enough), returning to VC feels like returning home after a long business trip, and I've re-played VC1 Remaster only a few months ago. I hope the game keeps me happy during all my time with it, I'm really excited to play more.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Someone in the random background chatter just complained about taking an arrow to the knee
. _ .
Come on Sega you're better than that

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Someone in the random background chatter just complained about taking an arrow to the knee
. _ .
Come on Sega you're better than that
Lol I loved it. There are a few other great Easter eggs like that scattered throughout the game and mission dialogues.

Jimmy is the best (pay attention to his Potentials and the things he says in battle).

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went full cheese mod on the final boss.
Not a fan of that fight at all... or really any boss fight in this game or the first for that matter.
The normla mission are a ton of fun, though.

I like this game about as much as the first one.
My biggest problem with the story is that it gets less interesing at about chapter 8 and it takes a while to get great again.
Grenadier and squad stories are amazing addtions.
Bought the CE and I'm not regretting it.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I unlocked a squad story when in a squad story.
Feels good!

I love these mini-missions, they flesh out a lot of the characters.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I went full cheese mod on the final boss.
Not a fan of that fight at all... or really any boss fight in this game or the first for that matter.
The normla mission are a ton of fun, though.

I like this game about as much as the first one.
My biggest problem with the story is that it gets less interesing at about chapter 8 and it takes a while to get great again.
Grenadier and squad stories are amazing addtions.
Bought the CE and I'm not regretting it.

I'm on the final Chapter now. For Chapter 17, I went full cheese on both missions. Attack Weak Point + Shocktrooper makes very short work of the crossbow twins. Orders are as OP as ever.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the final Chapter now. For Chapter 17, I went full cheese on both missions. Attack Weak Point + Shocktrooper makes very short work of the crossbow twins. Orders are as OP as ever.
17 was managable enough without going crazy on orders. 17-2 is just a scout rush mission anyway.
Orders in 18-1 aren't even nessary, just bring a ton of anti-tank weapons and go nuts.
18-2 is either a very long fight, since you without orders you can only destory 1 weak spot before you have to wait another turn...
or you spam order and destory all 4 at once with a anti-tank mortar.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Okay, might be a bit late to ask but I have to know- Is there any better way to deal with the Vulcan other than to have a straight up slug-fest up close and personal? As far as I can tell, and trust me I've been trying, there's no way to hit the reactor on the top even with mortars.

Also the twins keep dodging everything >_>

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do the Squad 7 dlc members get squad stories? If not, how do you fix their negative potentials?

No Squad Stories for them, they don't change because they're DLC characters, same with Edy from the Advanced Ops DLC (although to be assigned the extra CP that corporal can utilize, she needs to used 40 times like most of your regular units).

Okay, might be a bit late to ask but I have to know- Is there any better way to deal with the Vulcan other than to have a straight up slug-fest up close and personal? As far as I can tell, and trust me I've been trying, there's no way to hit the reactor on the top even with mortars.

Grenadiers are tricky, they can hit, it really requires hitting the sweet spot, and sometimes it can be RNG shenanigans. Same applies to Heavy and Ultimate Tanks. Orders might help.

The Twins will dodge almost everything, to actually hit them (and possibly take them out for a turn), have a shocktrooper get in close from behind and surprise attack them. If you can get close enough and your aim is good, they'll take enough damage to temporarily retreat.

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017

The Vulcan seems to have a weird hitbox, but if you can get higher ground and hit it somewhat at an angle that seems to do the trick.

If you use a smoke round from the tank on top of the girls and then get a shocktrooper up into their face they cannot dodge at all. I have only ever tried this from behind but I think no one can dodge at all when in smoke. Either way, you can kill them right away with just those two steps.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had to restart 3 times... Jesus Christ this one is brutal. I'm trying to get a Sniper to the high ground point near the starting camp, but it's tough. Especially since you need to make sure to budget one CP to move the Hafen to block off the sisters. I have trouble getting it of the camp to go to the high ground. I may just need to go do all the Skirmishes I haven't done get, to get the remaining classes to Elite status.
Scouts with command ability can lead units like s ipers worth lower AP to their destination in a single turn.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Scouts with command ability can lead units like s ipers worth lower AP to their destination in a single turn.
I figured it out after that attempt. Mainly I figured out it was about blocking them off with the Hafen and everything else is generally pretty manageable as long as you can get the snipers to the high ground.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
What's the strat to use against

The second fight with Crymaria? I'm thinking capture the base to the east then bombard her staff with Mortars from out of line of sight, not sure if the staff counts as an infantry or armor target lol.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I remember in the strategy that I used, when turn 3 came around, the enemy reinforcement tanks put themselves in a position where the Hafen was able to go around them and take out them in 3-4 CPs.

Managed to do it, but it wasn't my first attempt so I didn't get the best A rank reward. I'm going to have to load an earlier save and try it all over again.

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I am loving this game on the train, on the Switch. It's perfect. The PSP versions never quite hit the mark for me like Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest portable, but this game is the shit.

My only problem is when I finish maps in one turn and I can't celebrate because everybody would look at me weird.

My playstyle is Godwin all day every day

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Specifically the one between Raz and Leena (Kai) where he's talking to her and says "that's it!" and tries to do something, but she knocked him down, but what exactly is it implying he tried to do? My first thought was maybe punch her, but then this was after he said he was in love with her, and it showed a (gratuituous) ass shot of Leena. Was he trying to grab her ass again or even worse?! If the latter is the case, I can definitely see that this was what people were talking about the sexual assault issues that go unaddressed in this game, and goes beyond the ones at the start where he grabbed her ass.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I've read complaints about the game looking like a PS3 game a lot (though not in this thread, obviously), and I have several issues with it:
  • It looks great. The art style is fantastic, and while throwing a few more polygons at some things would make it even better it's an extremely minor point.
  • It doesn't actually look like the PS3 game (VC1). All the models are much higher poly, and the shading is refined as well.
  • It's not a high-budget game, and they put what budget they have into creating a large cast and tons of content rather than extreme asset detail, which is a good decision.
Anyway, I think this is a beautiful game.

valkyria4_x64_2018_09hrig2.png

20180929140946_14aff7.jpg

valkyria4_x64_2018_09m8ci7.jpg
The last Autumn shot reminds me of the Advance Wars cover in the US.

61HprBgSYVL._SX342_.jpg