• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you decide who to bring on a mission?

• I pay attention during the mission briefing, duh!

Votes: 124 17.4%
  • I pick my favorite characters regardless of the objective.

Votes: 266 37.4%
  • I crunch any and all numbers/potentials to maximize my chances of victory on strength alone.

Votes: 29 4.1%
  • Mission? I thought I was picking a harem. All the good looking ones!!

Votes: 195 27.4%
  • Scouts. All scouts. Scout rushing is only fixed for the faint of heart.

Votes: 97 13.6%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
the one upshot of being stuck with neige as your only sniper in the captainless squad dlc is that you'll probably use her enough times to make her a corporal, which means you don't have to use her in the future

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone interested in this I saw a couple sellers on eBay had them for $39.99 or best offer for the Switch version. One of them accepted my offer for $35 new and had a few more copies left. Seems like a good deal though it may be cheaper in a month with Black Friday.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
shouldn't matter that the unit was a lancer

maybe you had picked up another one as well and didn't realize?

I did. :) Somehow I had picked up a scout without even noticing!

I went back and did this mission a little differently and I think I went too fast -- if you finish in 2 turns, skipping the entire western half of the map, the scripted events in mid-battle neve rhappen!

The rest of the Siegval battles and then the next few chapters are pretty intense -- huge maps, tough opponents, but lots of different ways to attack them. At Chapter 7 now, I was pretty satisfied with how I got my soldiers to the designated point while still getting the crazy-dodging-skills ace!

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I did. :) Somehow I had picked up a scout without even noticing!

I went back and did this mission a little differently and I think I went too fast -- if you finish in 2 turns, skipping the entire western half of the map, the scripted events in mid-battle neve rhappen!
note that there are three ways to make the APC pick up passengers

1. you can move around the APC and approach an ally and follow the button prompt when you get close enough

2. you can control a character, approach the APC and follow the button prompt to board when they get close enough. this ends their turn

3. if a character is sufficiently close to the NPC, you can choose "board" from the character's triangle menu in command mode (the menu that also has "command" for initiating direct command and "evacuate" or "retreat") to make them board without any CP cost

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm about to drop the game. I've had a pleasant ~20h with it, but it's starting to get repetitive, and I don't see the story having enough interest to keep me going.
The fact that I've lost the same damn mission 4 times in a row surely doesn't help, but I think I'd rather spend the remaining 15 hours left to finish it on other (fresher) games.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I like neige too so I was really hoping her squad story would get rid of that damn stage fright potential....
dear lord i hate that potential

is there really no way to get rid of it?

also, why am i so tempted to buy the beach dlc...i can pay twice that and get the entirety of the first game on the go rather than some fanservice and costumes I'll go "neat" at. augh

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
only two story chapters in, and i ran off to do side stuff and the squad 7 dlc mission.

man, squad 7 dlc had me thinking how much more i enjoyed the aesthetic and feel of that team over squad e. then they give me all the characters so i can have them along like i did with vyse and aika for vc1. rad.

at this point i sorta/kinda overlevelled everyone and i have a crapload of money to spend on weapons.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Some more thoughts: is it just me, or is there very little new music in this game? There are new pieces for the book, headquarters, and some cut scenes, but the battles all seem to re-use VC1 music. Not that I dislike VC1's music, but with the battles being the meat of the game you would think they would have gotten Sakimoto to write some more stuff.

3. if a character is sufficiently close to the NPC, you can choose "board" from the character's triangle menu in command mode (the menu that also has "command" for initiating direct command and "evacuate" or "retreat") to make them board without any CP cost

Wow; had no idea this third one was a thing! I had been arranging the people I want to carry so that they're close to the Cactus, and then commanding the Cactus and getting close enough to board them that way (your #1).

And the APC is proving to be the most overpowered thing in this game as of now (Chapter 8). I just finished what was probably supposed to be a complex mission by boarding three soldiers, driving to the opposing camp, rotating the APC to smack a defender out of the camp, then having a soldier climb out of the APC to take the camp and win the mission.

(That mission is now being compensated for by the one after it, in which I have to somehow keep the Hafen from being destroyed, and I can't seem to fo it.)

I've lost the same damn mission 4 times in a row

Chapter number? (Just wondering if we're at the same point. I'm 17 hours in and in the middle of Chapter 8.)

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Chapter number? (Just wondering if we're at the same point. I'm 17 hours in and in the middle of Chapter 8.)

The mission where you have to save civilians and then get the Hafen back to safety, with a snow blizzard. There are two mysterious named ennemies also. I think that's chapter 8 yes.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
The mission where you have to save civilians and then get the Hafen back to safety, with a snow blizzard. There are two mysterious named ennemies also. I think that's chapter 8 yes.

We're in the exact same mission!

Despite what I thought were good preparations, the enemy side just has too many CP, and the Hafen still gets pummeled even at full strength going in, and with its radiator pointing north (so shielded by the rock wall). I've got a shocktrooper stationed facing the Hafen but neither he nor the Hafen itself can get enough interception shots in to take either of those named bosses out while they maneuver themselves into the right spot to destroy the Hafen.

Some more things I might try on my next attempt would be adding a second grenadier (is this effective?) to fire more long-range interception bombardment at the enemies while they go after the Hafen, or maybe a go-for-broke strategy where I just drive the Hafen as far southeast as I can get, rather than trying to hunker down in the northern area.

When you take the enemy camp to begin the mission, I recommend using a scout and climbing to the tower that sits next to the camp. It's OK to leave the camp undefended, and by going up there you will sight many enemies on the field. I used that to spot the grenadiers, which I took out with my own grenadier.

When Claude uses the order that raises tank defense, that continues into the enemy phase, doesn't it? I'm wondering if I've been wasting a CP issuing this order before the enemy phase starts.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
also, why am i so tempted to buy the beach dlc...i can pay twice that and get the entirety of the first game on the go rather than some fanservice and costumes I'll go "neat" at. augh
the dlc is decent. nothing special, though i enjoyed it more than i thouhgt i would

there is one very funny scene

and the new map is quite good.

there is a new gimmick where they hide aces in the map and you have to find and beat them all to proceed. this gimmick works very well on this map that has a lot of hiding places. i expected to hate that ace hunt, but actually enjoyed a more methodological approach for a change

it is quite expensive for what it is though

the captainless squad dlc is cheaper and better value for money with three new battles (though on recycled maps)
Some more thoughts: is it just me, or is there very little new music in this game? There are new pieces for the book, headquarters, and some cut scenes, but the battles all seem to re-use VC1 music. Not that I dislike VC1's music, but with the battles being the meat of the game you would think they would have gotten Sakimoto to write some more stuff.
yeah it's a shame that so much of the music is recycled. i mean i understand that they wanted to save money and i do think the recycled tracks are good too, it's just that i really like sakimoto and would have liked to see more new work from him in the game

there's a vocal track that plays in scenes with a certain character (who i think you haven't really gotten to yet). i think that one may be new? i don't remember it from the first game anyway. i like that one a lot
And the APC is proving to be the most overpowered thing in this game as of now (Chapter 8). I just finished what was probably supposed to be a complex mission by boarding three soldiers, driving to the opposing camp, rotating the APC to smack a defender out of the camp, then having a soldier climb out of the APC to take the camp and win the mission.
the apc makes that mission really easy to beat in one turn. for that reason, it's a popular mission for grinding money/experience
some general advice for that mission: remember to end your tank's turn with the radiator facing a wall. there are a lot of lancers that can fuck you up otherwise. the girls that join the battle can also kill the tank with radiator shots. make sure to have an engineer around to help heal the hafen

if you're having problems with your vehicles suddenly losing all their AP, that's because they're taking interception fire from enemy grenadiers. take out those grenadiers to stop that form happening

some tips for taking out enemies with high evasion:
dealing with nikola and bart chiara is tricky because of their high evasion. there are two good ways to deal with evasive enemies like bosses and certain aces:

1. use explosives. they won't be able to dodge grenadier mortar shots or the hafen's mortar.

2. set up surprise attacks using a pincer manoeuvre. they won't be able to dodge surprise attacks coming from behind. one way to exploit this is if you manage to get one unit behind them (maybe with the help of the apc, this is doable) attack them to make them turn around and face that unit. then approach from the other way (what used to be their front before you made them turn around) and attack. alternate between the characters on each side of them to constantly attack them from the back
and finally two cheese tactics that work well:
1. if you've unlocked the smoke rounds for the hafen, you can make sure to use it every turn and end hafen's turn inside the smoke. that way, it won't be targeted by enemies and you can move it to the target unperturbed. the smoke rounds work well also in other situations. for example with a certain strong enemy you'll meet in future missions

2. the tough enemies won't spawn until you take the base. if you want to just get the chapter over with, you can just move the hafen forward as far as it can go before taking their camp. then take the camp and rush hafen to the target without giving them a chance to attack. make sure to take out a decent chunk of lancers before progressing the hafen too far.

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Actually that's the distant tanks & mortars that destroy my Hafen.
This morning I launched the update of my switch, without checking if I saved on VC4. Two missions to re-do. I think that's it :)

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Actually that's the distant tanks & mortars that destroy my Hafen.
do they destroy your hafen in one turn, even if you protect the radiatior? if not in one turn, that's nothing that can't be fixed with engineers

if in one turn, progress the hafen more slowly. i never had a problem with that specific part of the mission myself, but my hafen was fully upgraded at that time

if you have it, you can try using the fortify armor order to make the hafen more durable
This morning I launched the update of my switch, without checking if I saved on VC4. Two missions to re-do. I think that's it :)
that sucks :(((((

but remember that you can skip cut scenes

and 8-1 can be beaten in one turn with the apc

the only annoying part to re-do would be 7-2

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 17 is SOME BULLSHIT.

Whether you bring the APC or the other tank, there's like a 50% chance it's dead before you even get to move it. Like what even is the point of bringing something in there? If it gets destroyed in the first turn you might as well just start over until you get lucky enough where they don't hit it's radiator. I almost had a strategy to kill Chiara on one attempt. I took the Hafen and a scout to capture the camp in the east. Then I collapsed the arch behind the Hafen, brought the APC down the corridor. Chiara ran to the Hafen but was still in front of it. So then I was able to box her in with the Hafen and APC on opposite sides of her. So I could literally just blow all my CP to keep shooting her in the head with the machine gun, and because it was a Surprise Attack, she couldn't evade it, so I would just keep turning her around. This almost worked, and would have if I discovered it sooner in the turn. She was very close to dead, then the next turn she used the Attack Weak Spot order and destroyed the APC. Some other stuff went wrong in that chapter too, so I ended up starting over and trying again. I've been trying to box her in with the two vehicles again to kill her, as that's definitely an approach to get her out of the way. This is quite the hard chapter though.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
do they destroy your hafen in one turn, even if you protect the radiatior? if not in one turn, that's nothing that can't be fixed with engineers

if in one turn, progress the hafen more slowly. i never had a problem with that specific part of the mission myself, but my hafen was fully upgraded at that time

I just checked out your "cheese tactics" and hadn't thought of those at all! Might try your #2 as I had been taking the base as soon as possible just because it looks like that's what you're supposed to do.

the only annoying part to re-do would be 7-2

If 7-2 is the one with the three trains... is there a way to get rid of the middle train? I couldn't find a switch that would do that for me, though I still cleared the mission (by having a lancer sneal around the final camp, shoot an important tank, then walk into the undefended base under train fire).

Fox1304, if by two missions you mean the interlude one and 8-1, just do them again with the 8-1 "trick".

Hydrophilic Attack, does 8-1 eventually become a skirmish? As of now I have another very easy Siegval-related skirmish that generates insane experience and can be cleared in one turn thanks to the APC.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If 7-2 is the one with the three trains... is there a way to get rid of the middle train? I couldn't find a switch that would do that for me, though I still cleared the mission (by having a lancer sneal around the final camp, shoot an important tank, then walk into the undefended base under train fire).
the only way to get rid of the middle train is to defeat the cars holding weapons, preferably with anti-armor greanadier mortars to hit the weak spots. there is no switch for that train
Hydrophilic Attack, does 8-1 eventually become a skirmish? As of now I have another very easy Siegval-related skirmish that generates insane experience and can be cleared in one turn thanks to the APC.
it doesn't become a skirmish, but you can replay main missions too

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
it doesn't become a skirmish, but you can replay main missions too

Yet another thing I hadn't discovered aobut this game!

Here is another one that helped tremendously in the "attack on the camp" mission: lancers can team up with each other and fire multiple shots. They can't do it with other types of soldiers, so somehow I never noticed it before (maybe VC1 didn't have it). I was able to defeat that chapter's mid-battle semi-boss and make the mission much easier because I had three lancers who would all fire together when any of them took a turn.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yet another thing I hadn't discovered aobut this game!

Here is another one that helped tremendously in the "attack on the camp" mission: lancers can team up with each other and fire multiple shots. They can't do it with other types of soldiers, so somehow I never noticed it before (maybe VC1 didn't have it). I was able to defeat that chapter's mid-battle semi-boss and make the mission much easier because I had three lancers who would all fire together when any of them took a turn.
lancers are very underrated

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yea, been that since VC2, I mean it's great music, but as I'm playing 4, I wad expecting more new music as this a console sequel. I was just picking out which tunes were from which stage in VC1 as I was going through the game.

Chapter 17 is SOME BULLSHIT.

Whether you bring the APC or the other tank, there's like a 50% chance it's dead before you even get to move it. Like what even is the point of bringing something in there? If it gets destroyed in the first turn you might as well just start over until you get lucky enough where they don't hit it's radiator. I almost had a strategy to kill Chiara on one attempt. I took the Hafen and a scout to capture the camp in the east. Then I collapsed the arch behind the Hafen, brought the APC down the corridor. Chiara ran to the Hafen but was still in front of it. So then I was able to box her in with the Hafen and APC on opposite sides of her. So I could literally just blow all my CP to keep shooting her in the head with the machine gun, and because it was a Surprise Attack, she couldn't evade it, so I would just keep turning her around. This almost worked, and would have if I discovered it sooner in the turn. She was very close to dead, then the next turn she used the Attack Weak Spot order and destroyed the APC. Some other stuff went wrong in that chapter too, so I ended up starting over and trying again. I've been trying to box her in with the two vehicles again to kill her, as that's definitely an approach to get her out of the way. This is quite the hard chapter though.

Yea, Chapter 17 was some bullshit, in both times I played it...which is a pain, when farming for weapons that you need for the trophy since certain stages give you hidden requirements like no deaths/kos, all enemy commanders/tanks eliminated, etc. That mission being one of them.

Though I've seen a strategy that take out Chiara during the initial enemy phase, but I was following another, though the A.I. put Chiara RIGHT UNDER a collapsible structure that I had one of my snipers take out with the exploding crates...felt good with her out of the picture for that turn

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Neige is worse than she's ever been in the Captainless DLC, holy shit. I can't finish a single AP bar with her.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Fox, I got through the mission we were stuck on using the tricks described here. Once you're through that, Chapter 9's only mission can be done almost trivially.

Plot is moving along nicely and I like this Klaus Walz guy!

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Neige is worse than she's ever been in the Captainless DLC, holy shit. I can't finish a single AP bar with her.
she is horrible. i think the reason it triggers so often in these mission is that the chance goes up the more enemy units are nearby, and these missions are pretty damned packed with enemy units

i'm never using her again
Plot is moving along nicely and I like this Klaus Walz guy!
he's pretty cool!

Oct 25, 2017
Yo this Jascha, Aoife, Hanna squad story is fucked up...
that poor guy...

Also the more I play the more I like Walz, and though I don't think they've executed perfectly I like crymaria
another field of vision to the comparisons with selvaria that they did in 1 with Alicia, except this time it's another Valkyria in nearly identical circumstances. I like how she's jealous of selvaria without knowing selvaria was just as broken as she is. Then with Walz playing the role of one person that doesn't want to use her, the role welkin played with Alicia
Its a little ham fisted and feels a bit done before, but overall I like it

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Captainless DLC. The third encounter twist was great and I liked that It made me a fan of some of the lesser used members. It also made me hate Neige who I previously liked, though. Whatever, I'll keep her as my dedicated anti-tank wildcard but it's crazy how badly they did her in.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Some help needed with Chapter 10 (not 11 as I initially posted; 10, protecting the Centurion):

So to protect the Centurion, you have to keep it from being bombed from above. I can't seem to clear this mission: I've got my snipers on all three high-up areas and am ahooting down every parachuting thing I see -- both bombs and soldiers. Eventually, around Turn 4, Riley asks us to just hold out a little longer. We finish that turn, go on to Turn 5, there are no airborne units, but the mission ends in failure. I even was able to kill one of the bosses. Do I have to kill both? Nikola is too far from the action to hit. I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Some help needed with Chapter 11:

So to protect the Centurion, you have to keep it from being bombed from above. I can't seem to clear this mission: I've got my snipers on all three high-up areas and am ahooting down every parachuting thing I see -- both bombs and soldiers. Eventually, around Turn 4, Riley asks us to just hold out a little longer. We finish that turn, go on to Turn 5, there are no airborne units, but the mission ends in failure. I even was able to kill one of the bosses. Do I have to kill both? Nikola is too far from the action to hit. I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

If I remember correctly, every unit has to be defeated (including the bosses) and the bombs have to be destroyed as well for the mission to be considered a clear.

This is one of the missions where it really pays to have studied how evasion and undodgeable attacks work. Sometimes using a unit to deliberately be a distraction so that enemies turn their back to you can have big payoff.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
If I remember correctly, every unit has to be defeated (including the bosses) and the bombs have to be destroyed as well for the mission to be considered a clear.

This is one of the missions where it really pays to have studied how evasion and undodgeable attacks work. Sometimes using a unit to deliberately be a distraction so that enemies turn their back to you can have big payoff.

OK; I had only defeated one of the bosses, and her partner revived her on the next turn, so that made it look like I didn't have to defeat them.

Getting her to turn her back was actually the way I accomplished it. She came up to the Hafen (out of nowhere, and... destroyed it in one hit,..) and I sniped her from far away, then had a shocktrooper shoot her from behind.

I breathed a sigh of relief until the next turn, when she was back on the field at full health.

I still hit all the bombs, though I once missed with my shot. Might have to grind to raise my sinpers' level.

Also, I just edited my post, but this is Chapter 10, not 11. I have to protect
the Centurion

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
OK; I had only defeated one of the bosses, and her partner revived her on the next turn, so that made it look like I didn't have to defeat them.

Getting her to turn her back was actually the way I accomplished it. She came up to the Hafen (out of nowhere, and... destroyed it in one hit,..) and I sniped her from far away, then had a shocktrooper shoot her from behind.

I breathed a sigh of relief until the next turn, when she was back on the field at full health.

I still hit all the bombs, though I once missed with my shot. Might have to grind to raise my sinpers' level.

Also, I just edited my post, but this is Chapter 10, not 11. I have to protect
the Centurion

I've never actually seen the boss revive the other. I always thought defeating one on that particular mission was a full KO, with the little cutscene as they departed. Maybe it's because I defeated both bosses on the same turn? That sounds really rough.

You have the right idea though. And it sounds like you're leveled up enough if one shocktrooper was good enough to take one boss down while they were distracted.

you definitely do not have to defeat every enemy. Both bosses maybe because I did that.

Indeed, I misspoke. Only the bosses and the bombs. I forget why I went for a kill them all strategy, but I think I was confused by the mission objective since it's one of the very few missions in the whole series where you simply have to wait a specific number of turns for victory after you complete the objectives as opposed to actually doing something concrete to immediately claim victory.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
I've never actually seen the boss revive the other. I always thought defeating one on that particular mission was a full KO, with the little cutscene as they departed. Maybe it's because I defeated both bosses on the same turn? That sounds really rough.

If you just defeat one, she stays down for the remainder of that turn, but upon the next turn, her partner revives her, though I think she starts far from where you are. On my first attempt, after wrecking the tank and then being defeated by me, she went up to the northwest ledge where Kai was, and took her down too.

You have the right idea though. And it sounds like you're leveled up enough if one shocktrooper was good enough to take one boss down while they were distracted.

I couldn't defeat her that easily! She attacled the Hafen and a ton of interception fire from my tank took a lot of her health; when my turn arrived, I took two sniper shots at her back from far away, turning her eastward where my snipers were. This left her back open for my camp-defending shocktrooper to take her final ~20% of health.

I wonder if I just missed one of the falling bombs. I have all three ledges covered by my snipers (I noticed too late that you can't seem to shoot the bombs from ground level), and have been takind down whatever drops from the sky, be it soldier or bomb. There have been times where a falling bomb has appeared on the map, but has not been targetable (perhaps because it is still too high up?), but I've been shooting those on the next turn.

Oct 25, 2017
Can you "collect" the body of the first one you kill to prevent revive? I definitely didn't kill on same turn or a turn apart but I didn't deal with any revive

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Can you "collect" the body of the first one you kill to prevent revive? I definitely didn't kill on same turn or a turn apart but I didn't deal with any revive

I can try, but with her being a boss, I don't think you can actually kill her like you could with an ordinary enemy soldier, where you can walk up to their prone body and "touch" (bayonet an injured person to death, if this game were more visceral) them so that they're really dead. There was definitely a cut scene where the other partner was mocking her for falling to me, and that one didn't physically go to where her partner was; she never left the northern part of the map.

I'll give it another shot today from the beginning. Everything else I've done on this mission has worked out really well and it would have been a nice satisfying mission if it had ended like it looked like it would.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
God FUCK Chapter 17. I have attempted it so many times and so rarely do I end up without my second vehicle destroyed before I can even move anything. What an utter bullshit mission. I'm taking a break from this game, maybe I'll come back to it later, but I was getting pissed at that bullshit. It's worse than the Batomys IMO.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
God FUCK Chapter 17. I have attempted it so many times and so rarely do I end up without my second vehicle destroyed before I can even move anything. What an utter bullshit mission. I'm taking a break from this game, maybe I'll come back to it later, but I was getting pissed at that bullshit. It's worse than the Batomys IMO.

A few things to note that may help you. First is that vehicles aren't really needed on that mission, so it's OK if one or both explode, though if Hafen gets destroyed you may want to prioritize destroying any enemy tanks you can reach before they rain destruction on you. The units to the left should be doing all the heavy lifting and capturing of the two western bases and a Leader Scout should be the one that leads the capture of both eastern bases. If tanks survive then that's just a bonus that makes capturing the southern base easier (and defending the main base after enemy tanks are destroyed) in my opinion. There are a lot of grenadiers raining down anti-AP nades that are hard to reach due to their hidden locations so I find that vehicles tend to be a liability for too long when you're just trying to get things done, unless you're willing to burn CP on the order that prevents AP damage.

tl;dr I S-Ranked that mission while only using the small tank to help capture the south base. Though it did help that I KOed the boss early using the explosion gimmick, and if you don't have that luxury I'm sure this mission is much harder.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
A few things to note that may help you. First is that vehicles aren't really needed on that mission, so it's OK if one or both explode, though if Hafen gets destroyed you may want to prioritize destroying any enemy tanks you can reach before they rain destruction on you. The units to the left should be doing all the heavy lifting and capturing of the two western bases and a Leader Scout should be the one that leads the capture of both eastern bases. If tanks survive then that's just a bonus that makes capturing the southern base easier (and defending the main base after enemy tanks are destroyed) in my opinion. There are a lot of grenadiers raining down anti-AP nades that are hard to reach due to their hidden locations so I find that vehicles tend to be a liability for too long when you're just trying to get things done, unless you're willing to burn CP on the order that prevents AP damage.

tl;dr I S-Ranked that mission while only using the small tank to help capture the south base. Though it did help that I KOed the boss early using the explosion gimmick, and if you don't have that luxury I'm sure this mission is much harder.
What do you mean? The thing where she comes back every turn anyway?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I wonder if I just missed one of the falling bombs. I have all three ledges covered by my snipers (I noticed too late that you can't seem to shoot the bombs from ground level), and have been takind down whatever drops from the sky, be it soldier or bomb. There have been times where a falling bomb has appeared on the map, but has not been targetable (perhaps because it is still too high up?), but I've been shooting those on the next turn
i don't think that is supposed to be a thing

as soon as they show, you should be able to shoot them. if you fail to shoot them on the turn they show up, they will damage the ship and count towards a mission failure

probably that's what happened to you enough times to cause a failed mission

if you can't target them they're likely too far away. make sure you have the guns with the longest range equipped, and if there are some you still can't target, try from a different vantage point

i don't think it matters how many of the enemies you kill. i killed both bosses (on the same turn, luckily, so they couldn't revive each other) but i don't think you have to

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean? The thing where she comes back every turn anyway?

For some reason I don't remember her returning right away, either that or she doesn't return near bases that have been captured. I captured the top right base last and she respawned there before I got there, but since I approached from the right she never noticed me.

I also wanted to ask if you've configured your tanks to minimize damage. Well either way, I don't think tanks are necessary to win. I recommend relying heavily on Orders, especially Attack Weak Spot (I'm really surprised they didn't update the localization of that order name). AWS with a lancer or an anti-armor grenadier is an absolute death sentence for armored enemies and you can really bring the pain, tank or no tank.

Kaidoi94

Feb 26, 2018

You know you can use the Emergency Repair Ship Order to bring your tanks back right?

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Interlude: The Other Kai, and I really wish I could have skipped it. Her backstory was so much dumber than I could have imagined.

Oct 25, 2017
When you are making damn sure you get that 2 turn win
5FfLkGQ.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
When you are making damn sure you get that 2 turn win
5FfLkGQ.jpg
i only managed a 4 turn victory. but that was enough for an s rank. and i got the ace too

i took a couple of grenadiers up on the high ground north of the west camp and shot the tank from there and protected them from being seen by the witch with hafen smoke rounds

i feel like my strategy was very inefficient, but i was wary of having any troops close to the east camp as in the attempts where i tried that, they all got killed by the tank. i guess if you really make sure to take the tank out on the same turn as it spawns, which should be doable with lancers firing together, your strategy is much better

Oct 25, 2017
i only managed a 4 turn victory. but that was enough for an s rank. and i got the ace too

i took a couple of grenadiers up on the high ground north of the west camp and shot the tank from there and protected them from being seen by the witch with hafen smoke rounds

i feel like my strategy was very inefficient, but i was wary of having any troops close to the east camp as in the attempts where i tried that, they all got killed by the tank. i guess if you really make sure to take the tank out on the same turn as it spawns, which should be doable with lancers firing together, your strategy is much better
yea thats basically what I did, it was super efficient
Turn 1 I took 1 lancer and rand right and killed the first tank, then took the APC and picked up an engineer and the lancer from the first move. Killed the lancer at the barricade and moved up as far as I could. Ran Kai over and sniped the shock trooper that was with the lancer and drove up further. Go the lancer back out the APC and took out the next tank. Ended turn and went back to the APC and kept moving up, took out the shock trooper near the tank in the corner and ended that turn after driving over the sandbags that the scout was hiding by. Hopped the lancer out and killed that tank, but no AP left to run even the short distance back to the APC. Didnt want to use any of the APCs now limited AP on trying to pick up the lancer, so I just killed the scout and drive towards the camp. Hopped the engineer out, grenaded the guy at the camp, and took it, leaving the engi by the wall. Spent 3 CP calling in lancers and ended turn with 2-3 CP to spare.

Enemy turn the two remaining tanks just fired at the APC, just doing a bit of damage. Regaining control I scout rushed with defense boost Minerva up the left side. 3 total CP to take that camp. 2 move and one order. Enemy tank spawns, Call in demolition boost all, line up my 4 lancers as seen in the screenshot, spend a turn using the engi to refill them (main reason it was an engi in the APC from the start), and finishing off the boss with a few volleys

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed VC1 years back but couldn't get myself through a replay years later due to the slow pacing of the initial missions. I played the demo for VC4 yest and it felt super slow paced as well, due to the numerous cutscenes and gameplay explanations. Does the game speed up in pace after the demo bits?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
yea thats basically what I did, it was super efficient
Turn 1 I took 1 lancer and rand right and killed the first tank, then took the APC and picked up an engineer and the lancer from the first move. Killed the lancer at the barricade and moved up as far as I could. Ran Kai over and sniped the shock trooper that was with the lancer and drove up further. Go the lancer back out the APC and took out the next tank. Ended turn and went back to the APC and kept moving up, took out the shock trooper near the tank in the corner and ended that turn after driving over the sandbags that the scout was hiding by. Hopped the lancer out and killed that tank, but no AP left to run even the short distance back to the APC. Didnt want to use any of the APCs now limited AP on trying to pick up the lancer, so I just killed the scout and drive towards the camp. Hopped the engineer out, grenaded the guy at the camp, and took it, leaving the engi by the wall. Spent 3 CP calling in lancers and ended turn with 2-3 CP to spare.

Enemy turn the two remaining tanks just fired at the APC, just doing a bit of damage. Regaining control I scout rushed with defense boost Minerva up the left side. 3 total CP to take that camp. 2 move and one order. Enemy tank spawns, Call in demolition boost all, line up my 4 lancers as seen in the screenshot, spend a turn using the engi to refill them (main reason it was an engi in the APC from the start), and finishing off the boss with a few volleys
sounds like a close to optimal strategy
I enjoyed VC1 years back but couldn't get myself through a replay years later due to the slow pacing of the initial missions. I played the demo for VC4 yest and it felt super slow paced as well, due to the numerous cutscenes and gameplay explanations. Does the game speed up in pace after the demo bits?
the first few missions are very slow because of constant tutorial pop-ups. but it gets much better after that. the scale of fights also ramps up much quicker than the first game. chapter 4, which comes pretty soon after the demo, has some really large-scale fights and is where the game really starts to shine.

the cut scenes and talky bits in between missions do tend to drag a bit occasionally, but if it starts to bother you, you can skip them

as someone who played the original, i'm liking the gameplay in 4 even more. the larger scale battles really makes things a lot more interesting, once you start seeing verticality and stuff coming into play. and the new gameplay systems help a lot in moving your units around on the now much larger maps

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
sounds like a close to optimal strategy

the first few missions are very slow because of constant tutorial pop-ups. but it gets much better after that. the scale of fights also ramps up much quicker than the first game. chapter 4, which comes pretty soon after the demo, has some really large-scale fights and is where the game really starts to shine.

the cut scenes and talky bits in between missions do tend to drag a bit occasionally, but if it starts to bother you, you can skip them

as someone who played the original, i'm liking the gameplay in 4 even more. the larger scale battles really makes things a lot more interesting, once you start seeing verticality and stuff coming into play. and the new gameplay systems help a lot in moving your units around on the now much larger maps

Ah ok, thanks for that detailed reply. I think I'll eventually get the full game then. I remember the first game really clicking later on and if VC4 is that and more then I think it's worth a shot.