• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'm okay with this. I would love to see it get a proper HD remaster, but considering the series is as niche as they come this is probably as good as we will get.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized how difficult the more advanced crystal puzzles will be with a touch screen

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I want to play it on my VITA... :\
Maybe I should just by again a PSP, because I have it on UMD disc... still sucks this is not ported on VITA nor available on PSN!

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Futureproof? iOS system updates completely wipe games out of existence all the time.
Only if the developers give up on it. And even then, it's usually when it's something very big, like migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit. I doubt this game will magically stop working in the next iPhone/iPad iteration. Also, I use Android anyway, so I'm glad I can play it on several different devices with several different specifications.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile -> steam but no Consoles? I just hope it sells well fr future entries.

Happy it is the PSP game and not a new gacha game for Mobile.

Lime

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
There it is, as expected. Is there any chance of this coming to other platforms at all? I've always been interested in Valkyrie Profile, but I don't like playing games like this on my phone. :/

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
oof, disappointed with this :( I remember buying it 10+ years ago in Japan but I couldn't speak Japanese at the time so I got stuck somewhere and dropped it.
I'm sure it's still around here somewhere (along with my PSP), maybe I'll dig it out again. I just can't play games on my phone.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I would have bought this game again if coming to consoles. Oh well, I still have the PSP version. Maybe if we are lucky this will bring the series back into the spotlight enough to generate a new entry in this series.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A emulator is more futureproof than this, c'mon now.
Not advocating for piracy btw, but thinking that iOS is in any way futureproof is frankly ridiculous.
I mean, PPSSPP is a great emulator, so you may be right, but I still think Android and iOS are still more futureproof than some other consoles, especially when you consider that there are not a lot of big changes in OS every year like it was back in 2013. I bought so many games on PS3 and can't even touch them on my PS4. At least now we know that the responsibility lies on Square's hands.

Every phone is overpriced bullshit. The entire market is an anti-consumer racket. Android is no different.
I mean, everything can be overpriced if it offers no value to an individual. Personally, I'd rather pay $900 on a good phone than $350 on a PS4 nowadays.

Last edited:

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
If you're on 3.60 firmware, you can use Henkaku to play either the PSP or PSX version

I am one of those people that actively use his PSVITA and buy games for it, so no, it's at the last firmware available. Maybe I should buy a second one... but at that point PSP was incredible as an emulating machine (still don't understand why I sold it... :( )

Lime

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people so sure this will be getting a Steam release? Is it really that common for SE to port their mobile ports to PC?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, everything can be overpriced if it offers no value to an individual. Personally, I'd rather pay $900 on a good phone than $350 on a PS4 nowadays.

I have yet to ever see a phone that's worth $500, much less almost a thousand dollars. Phones are becoming so expensive they're pricing entire chunks of the population out of the market.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
There it is, as expected. Is there any chance of this coming to other platforms at all? I've always been interested in Valkyrie Profile, but I don't like playing games like this on my phone. :/
It's possible that we may see a Steam release in the future like many of SE mobile ports.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, PPSSPP is a great emulator, so you may be right, but I still think Android and iOS are still more futureproof than some other consoles, especially when you consider that there are not a lot of big changes in OS every year like it was back in 2013. I bought so many games on PS3 and can't even touch them on my PS4. At least now we know that the responsibility lies on Square's hands.
That's true I agree with you. I don't how S-E track record is of keeping their old games updated with the OS updates. Hopefully it's good.

Yes Android is better in keeping their old software working on a updated OS. But S-E can still delist the game with time (I hope not).

I guess you can always sideload it, although some games do need a connection to verify it's authenticity. I know that the older Cave games do need that on Android for example.

Last edited:

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Henkaku if you're still on 3.60:

img_6548gosof.jpg

giphy.gif

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have yet to ever see a phone that's worth $500, much less almost a thousand dollars. Phones are becoming so expensive they're pricing entire chunks of the population out of the market.
People who can buy a Moto G will buy a Moto G. People who can buy an iPhone X will buy an iPhone X. And even though these models are vastly different, they still communicate with each other, so it's not like they are forcing people to stop using smartphones. The market works by having diversity in models and brands.
You may see no value in a phone that costs $1000, sure, but I can see why people would use them as fashion statements, or because they want the "premium" experience. I don't think this is a bad thing. That pays for innovation in future phones, of course.
And thanks to those innovations, you can buy something like a Moto Z Play for $200, get a joystick and play games and emulators in a 1080p OLED screen. And if you buy another completely different phone, you can still play the same game, but in a 1440p LCD screen. Or with stereo speakers. Or with no bezels. That's the appeal, at least for me.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of trolling is this? I don't understand the need for teasing their fans this way. If it was a new entry, then a teaser would be necessary to hype things up but for a port to IOS/Android? Damn that's tasteless.
#hurt

Shinjica

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What kind of trolling is this? I don't understand the need for teasing their fans this way. If it was a new entry, then a teaser would be necessary to hype things up but for a port to IOS/Android? Damn that's tasteless.
#hurt

Is not trolling, is generating hype and worked well seeing this thread

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...yay for you if you're good with it. Many people might not be, hence the reaction to it possibly being a mobile port.

I don't see what analog controls have to do with anything. There's some pretty precision platforming with ice crystals in this game that would be a pain, IMO IMO IMO IMO, on a touchscreen.

I just realized how difficult the more advanced crystal puzzles will be with a touch screen

Yup, first thing I thought of when thinking it would be mobile.

Still going to buy it to support VP, though.

Lime

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still going to buy it to support VP, though.

Right there with you, Skilletor <3. I'll buy anything VP, and frankly I'm surprised to even see the game surface at all. I do wonder if even this mobile port will make it to the other non-Japanese stores at all though.

Lime

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took some Youtube screengrabs from the short gameplay snippet of the mobile port and contrasted it with a Youtube clip of the PSP version (remember that there's compression artifacts in both shots)

Mobile port:
vp2gkq2d.jpg

PSP port
vp3qeoku.jpg

and the original NTSC version via ePSXE (not that it makes much difference):
vp1_epsxec7uhj.jpg

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took some Youtube screengrabs from the short gameplay snippet of the mobile port and contrasted it with a Youtube clip of the PSP version (remember that there's compression artifacts in both shots)

Mobile port:
vp2gkq2d.jpg

PSP port
vp3qeoku.jpg
So... You press on each member to get them to attack? Or their health bars?

;/ Idk. Usually a mobile port for a JRPG makes sense cause you're just picking stuff out of a menu but VP is very active.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Of course it's a mobile port. Expect a low effort port of the mobile version to Steam in a year.
I don't understand Square Enix, this obviously pisses off the fans. These ports are low effort as well. Pissed off fans = no buy, but if people don't buy (like Chrono Trigger) then they will say we are not interested. Ugh, Square Enix is so vexing

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, that ignore turned out to be a great decision.

Anyway, the fact that this is getting ported to mobile isn't a big deal..but I hope they touch the sprites up a bit.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the hangup with mobile games, i'll buy this when localized :) Can they at least release the psp version on PSN?

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To die, only to find resurrection as a mobile game. Is this the will of Odin?

Anyway I can't say I'm surprised, but part of me did think it might get the SO3/SO4 treatment for a hot second.