• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's a mobile game and I had hope that it wouldn't be the case this time. Well atleast this means it'll be ported to pc in a year or so.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Only if the developers give up on it. And even then, it's usually when it's something very big, like migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit. I doubt this game will magically stop working in the next iPhone/iPad iteration. Also, I use Android anyway, so I'm glad I can play it on several different devices with several different specifications.
I cant go digging through it right now, but I think it was this months issue of Edge Magazine this covered this very topic. The new iterations of Iphone are actually a big concern for game developers who are having to spend their time and resources updating their game. Some are finding consoles to be a better platform to develop for.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess the hopes for this game is:

1. That the mobile port will be available in English app stores as well (hopefully with the original translation?)
2. Then that it'll make it to Steam
3. Then this will lead to Square Enix somehow porting the PC version to consoles?

How likely is any of the above?

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Meh, wonder how they'll monetize this with some gatcha/qol bullshit. At least it looks to be a pretty direct port and not a new game with barely anything to do with the original series *cough*BOF6*cough*

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Motherfu......

well, with Tactics and VP in my Android phone slowly but surely, my phone is becoming my new PSP...... long ways to go, but we getting there...

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Meh, wonder how they'll monetize this with some gatcha/qol bullshit. At least it looks to be a pretty direct port and not a new game with barely anything to do with the original series *cough*BOF6*cough*
It's not like they added lootbox to their mobile version of FFT or DQVIII. They are porting PSP game to mobile. It will be a straight port.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand Square Enix, this obviously pisses off the fans. These ports are low effort as well. Pissed off fans = no buy, but if people don't buy (like Chrono Trigger) then they will say we are not interested. Ugh, Square Enix is so vexing

This doesn't make sense. VP is vastly more popular in Japan than anywhere else in the world, with VP1 being one of the most beloved JRPGs there. And with smartphones being as popular there with hardcore gamers as it is, I don't see how VP1 being for smartphones is pissing off the fans there, where it is far more important to Square than the 5 of us VP fans outside of Japan.

People are acting like Square-Enix is just completely braindead with releasing this on smartphones, pissing off every fan imaginable. But they aren't. Most of their audience, even for a game like this, is on smartphones.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm up for this, but I don't have much storage on my phone. That's even if it gets localized. Of course, I still have the PSP version to play.

Lime

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do Square Enix usually release any physical stuff / merchandise in relation to mobile ports of old classics?

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it has a controller UI already at least looking at the icons next to the HP bars. Hoping the rest is unobtrusive then it'd be a pretty ok port if thrown on other platforms.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't trash the FPS, modern phones do run circles around the PS1 and can play games quite smoothly. Nevermind the future proofing.

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't mind if this ended up on the Vita considering Adventures of Mana started out on iOS before coming to the PSV.

Please don't trash the FPS, modern phones do run circles around the PS1 and can play games quite smoothly. Nevermind the future proofing.

What future proofing? Apps break down once the OS updates.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't you play android stuff on PCs somehow? Or via chromecast or something?

Cause i can't wait for a pc port and im not doing ice crystal boosts with a virtual dpad

Lime

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it has a controller UI already at least looking at the icons next to the HP bars. Hoping the rest is unobtrusive then it'd be a pretty ok port if thrown on other platforms.

That unfortunately just means the location or position of the character and their respective HP bar

Oct 26, 2017
They've patched for OS updates before, nevermind that they seem to base their console/PC ports off mobile ports.

The thing is whether they care enough to patch. I recall TWEWY is broken when you update past its recommended settings, and hasn't received more compatibility updates past December 2015.

Oct 25, 2017
for anyone that has played it before, is this the kind of game in which you want controls or is fine like most turn based jrpgs on mobile?

I mean, assuming it's a good port I might play it on my Android phone.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
And there goes any interest I had. Hopefully a console/steam version will hit eventually like they did with Romancing SaGa 2.

OP
OP
Xenosaga

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
for anyone that has played it before, is this the kind of game in which you want controls or is fine like most turn based jrpgs on mobile?

for combat it's mostly just pressing buttons so it's probably not a big deal. For dungeon crawling there is a little bit of 2D sidescroll platforming.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Well, at least the UI isn't completely gross looking this time. If this came to PC, I would probably pick this up assuming the sprites and background are left intact.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
So far the port looks good. If they keep it as is instead of applying a shitty filter when porting to other devices, it would be fine.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I'm ok with a port, and it being mobile isn't a problem in particular for me with this game. The main thing is whether it may be better to wait a bit. Sometimes it takes a while but a lot of their mobile ports have ended up on other platforms later down the road.

Square Enix has been getting to a lot of their DS and PSP lineup. Really hoping they have Tactics Ogre and maybe FFTA2 in the queue as well, I really like having FFT on my phone.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lololol

Everyone who thought this wouldn't be a mobile port of the PSP game because of the way it was initially revealed...

Now awaiting confirmation that Smash for Switch is indeed a port of 4.

I feel like people in this forum constantly set themselves up for disappointment.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
This doesn't make sense. VP is vastly more popular in Japan than anywhere else in the world, with VP1 being one of the most beloved JRPGs there. And with smartphones being as popular there with hardcore gamers as it is, I don't see how VP1 being for smartphones is pissing off the fans there, where it is far more important to Square than the 5 of us VP fans outside of Japan.

People are acting like Square-Enix is just completely braindead with releasing this on smartphones, pissing off every fan imaginable. But they aren't. Most of their audience, even for a game like this, is on smartphones.

This is sadly true. The huge success of gatcha games like Granblue has proven mobile is a platform as vital as any console. Honestly its crazy we have even seen a resurgence in JP made console games. I do think SE dropped the ball here not porting it to at least 3DS. Nintendo handhelds may be the last bastion of niche JP games outside of mobile.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The CG from PSP version is really ugly :/
VP1 has very beautiful artwork, it doesn't need CG video for cutscene.

Combat is fine. Exploration is the main concern.
Some of secret chest has quite difficult platforming element.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Famitsu put the announcement article in their mobile section? That told me everything I needed to know. :P

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Took some Youtube screengrabs from the short gameplay snippet of the mobile port and contrasted it with a Youtube clip of the PSP version (remember that there's compression artifacts in both shots)

Mobile port:
vp2gkq2d.jpg

PSP port
vp3qeoku.jpg

and the original NTSC version via ePSXE (not that it makes much difference):
vp1_epsxec7uhj.jpg
Square Enix ruins another port?
giphy.gif

The CG from PSP version is really ugly :/
VP1 has very beautiful artwork, it doesn't need CG video for cutscene.
Yeah, never played the PSP version. That CG is horrendous.

Seriously, play the PSX version of the game.

Last edited: