• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018

kotaku.com

One Year And 14 Million Active Players Later, Valorant Is Going Mobile

Officially launched on June 2 of last year, Riot Games’ hero shooter Valorant has enjoyed massive success on PC, with more than a half-billion matches played and over 14 million active players. Today Riot announced plans to expand the franchise, starting with Valorant Mobile.

Valorant is hosting a month-long celebration of its first year, offering players in-game rewards and initiatives including a redeemable player card and an event pass.
playvalorant.com

VALORANT YR1 EVENTS

Join a month long party to celebrate our birthday with VALORANT YR1 events.
playvalorant.com

VOTE NOW: Give Back Bundle

What guns should come back in Episode 3?

Calendar

NIGHT.MARKET (6/2)
Doors are up on Night.Market, a collection of six random skins available to purchase, discounted and unique to you.

GIVE BACK BUNDLE (voting starts 6/2)
Have your say. Vote to see which four of your favorite gun skins return in the Give Back Bundle—and it's all for a good cause!

PLAYER CARDS (6/2)
Make room for three on your VALORANT Player Card checklist and collect the Limited Edition YR1 set that celebrates Episode 1, 2, and 3.
  • EP1 (6/9) - Redeem via code [YR1] using our code redemption page
  • EP2 (6/14) - Coming your way via a special YR1 Prime Gaming Drop
  • EP3 - Collect as part of the first ever YR1 Event Pass (see more below)

COMMUNITY BATTLEPASS (6/13 to 6/25)
Each of our global VALORANT regions will vote for a unique item like Sprays, Gun Buddies, and titles that best reflect their local region.

WWFEST RETURNS (6/25)
wwFest—the experimental music and art festival—spiked VALORANT into 2021 earlier this year and is now making its return to celebrate the YR1 party. This time, we've got artists performing around the world, with an all-new headliner.

YR1 EVENT PASS (6/22 to 7/6)
No prerequisites, no VP spend, just 7 levels of exclusive YR1 items like the Episode 3 Player Card, a Gun Buddy, and more. Just play VALORANT, earn XP, and unlock.

EPISODE 3 LIVESTREAM (6/21)
When YR1 ends, Episode 3 begins. Join a panel of devs from the Competitive, Agents, and Premium Content teams for a look at Episode 3 and year two.

Live on Twitch, June 21 at 10AM PT.
Jun 21, 2021 at 1:00 PM

SQUAD BOOST (6/22 to 7/26)
Your boost depends on your party size. Queue as a tag team and you get 8% extra XP. Form a triple threat and you get 12%. Queue with four, and you get more—that's 16%. Five-stack and you earn a 20% XP boost.

ACCOUNT LEVELING (6/22)
Get ready for the next one! Episode 3 will add a new way to recognize and reward you for your time playing VALORANT.

Last edited:

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Riot has gotta have some secret code when it comes to making highly popular eSports titles.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the developers say at one point that Valorant was being developed as a highly competitive shooter, and therefore console versions weren't being considered?

Weird that they suddenly decide to create a mobile version of their highly competitive game, but not one for consoles.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CS GO isn't made by Riot.
CS GO isn't on mobile.
I wouldn't use CS GO as an example.
Why not, it's a similar type of game.

Granted I see now that CS GO released on console. Somehow I never heard of that. How did that go?

Either way, with these numbers I don't see why RIOT would bother. The game wouldn't work in its current form on console/controllers. I feel like controllers would go against what Riot keeps trying to position this game to be.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the developers say at one point that Valorant was being developed as a highly competitive shooter, and therefore console versions weren't being considered?

Weird that they suddenly decide to create a mobile version of their highly competitive game, but not one for consoles.

They made Wild Rift which is a mobile and later console port of LoL. So it seems logical they would do it for some of their other games.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

Granted I see now that CS GO released on console. Somehow I never heard of that. How did that go?

Either way, with these numbers I don't see why RIOT would bother. The game wouldn't work in its current form on console/controllers. I feel like controllers would go against what Riot keeps trying to position this game to be.
Similar game has nothing to do with porting said game to other platforms. Developers porting games is a business decision to increase revenue. Riot is a different business than Valve.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Similar game has nothing to do with porting said game to other platforms. Developers porting games is a business decision to increase revenue. Riot is a different business than Valve.
All that can be true, and CS GO remains the only other game in the same space as Valorant that can be used as an example. Hence the thought. Seeing now that Valve already tried it and I'm going to say it wasn't a success since it hasn't followed through the console generations, Valorant in its current form I don't see coming to console. Will Riot make a different version that's console friendly like they did League? Maybe, but I wouldn't call that a port any longer.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

not great!

but that was mostly that valve was so far ahead of the curve on gaas and microsoft just couldnt keep up with their weird outdated cert and patching procedures so valve just said fuck that shit im out

same as tf2 not that many years before

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
All that can be true, and CS GO remains the only other game in the same space as Valorant that can be used as an example. Hence the thought. Seeing now that Valve already tried it and I'm going to say it wasn't a success since it hasn't followed through the console generations, Valorant in its current form I don't see coming to console. Will Riot make a different version that's console friendly like they did League? Maybe, but I wouldn't call that a port any longer.

Yeah, Wild Rift is not a port - it's a brand new game built specifically for controllers/touch screens. I Imagine Valorant Mobile will be the same kind of 'new game'

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to join some friends playing. Downloaded it and installed. Next time I played Warzone and RE8 my system was having a bunch of slow downs. Uninstalled the game and uninstalled the anti-cheat and system went back to normal. Might try again.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Wanted to join some friends playing. Downloaded it and installed. Next time I played Warzone and RE8 my system was having a bunch of slow downs. Uninstalled the game and uninstalled the anti-cheat and system went back to normal. Might try again.
I personally didn`t have any issues with their anti-cheat app, but yeah, if you try again, make sure to disable it before playing other games.

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
Have they added cross region play yet? I found it absurd that I couldn't play with my friends in Europe.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I feel like I was living under a rock when suddenly the among us streamers I watch were going to valorant in mass. I didn't realize the game had been out for so long lol.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riot has gotta have some secret code when it comes to making highly popular eSports titles.

The secrets are:

- games that run on a toaster
- games that have lots of "waifus" that are also badass
- Korea & China collabs & the great marketing
- easy to learn, hard to master gameplay
- regulary content and balance updates

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Amazed at how good Riot is at churning out multiplayer hits. Tencent really stuck gold with them and I truly think there's no stopping their domination over the entire gaming industry.

OP
OP
Lampa

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Bumping this to say, in celebration of Pride month, Riot also added Pride player cards. You'll have to redeem them at this site: http://redeem.playvalorant.com/
The codes are
  1. Prismatic
  2. CottonCandy
  3. Primary
  4. Galactic
  5. Sunset
  6. Twilight
  7. Sherbe
Cards in order:
Kpq8M36.png
4qcuTvP.png
PmHBIwr.png
3JmAaXj.png
cMu0QqB.png
rJ9bH10.png
OleTocr.png

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
The ping would be way to high if you tried. Game integrity would go out the window. Which is why many games, FPS in particular, don't let you do it.
They don't?
I've been playing battlefield, cod, halo, fortnite, Apex legends and many more shooters with people across different regions with no problem.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't?
I've been playing battlefield, cod, halo, fortnite, Apex legends and many more shooters with people across different regions with no problem.
Many don't yes, case in point Valorant doesn't allow this. You'd have to deliberately set yourself to the EU region and you'd be locked to playing on those EU servers for example. Other games, like CS GO I believe, you can do it if you set your ping threshold high enough to randomly find yourself in an EU server. I've never actually tried that either as the game would be unplayable.

Valorant is like Overwatch(for PC, idk about Consoles), you have to set your region to a different one. No Cross Region play.