• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vinnykappa

Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus earned critical acclaim from multiple publications —Twinfinite included— but its commercial performance was immediately thrown into question after the game went on sale just a month after launch. NPD reports later confirmed it was unable to breach the top 10 best selling games for the month of October at retail, following in footsteps of Prey, another Bethesda published title that also underwhelmed commercially earlier that year. A recent leak of Steam data confirms that Wolfenstein II The New Colossus recorded just 549,457 players as of July 1, 2018 —over a million less than its predecessor.
For reference, here's a breakdown of the player estimates for Bethesda published games of similar genre according to the leaked Steam data:

DOOM – 3,197,626
Wolfenstein: The New Order – 1,819,928
Prey – 704,179
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood – 600,610
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – 549,457
The Evil Within 2 – 227,653

Of course, these numbers don't include PS4 and Xbox One sales, so the figures do not represent the total number of units sold at retail for each game. The New Colossus has also been on sale for the least amount out the four. But the disparity is too significant not to be able to draw a fairly grim conclusion: The New Colossus certainly did sell poorly, at least on PC.

Via twinfinite:
https://twinfinite.net/2018/07/damn-steam-leak-suggests-wolfenstein-ii-really-did-sell-poorly/

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's a very mediocre game so I am not too sad about that. What I am really sad about is that Prey didn't sell better. And Evil Within 2, too (but I didnt play it yet, loved the first game though).

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The Evil Within 2 – 227,653
1529625423084.jpg

TEW2 deserved so much better

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty silly to compare it to TNO after all the huge sales that game took part in for years. I know TNC got reduced in price pretty fast, but obviously not in the "under 10 bucks"-region the predecessor was in for quite a few years.

But honestly, I think those numers are actually pretty good? Like, it's possible the game reached something between 1.5m and 2m in sales for all platforms (before Switch). That will obviously not recoup the immediate costs, but its also far from the absolute disaster some tried it to paint as.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I thought it was well known it didn't sell well anywhere?
Game got discounted extremely quickly, like Dishonored 2.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the data leak that requires you to unlock an achievement to be counted right?

While I don't doubt it sold poorly everywhere, if it's using that requirement that's pretty inaccurate especially for PC people who are known to stockpile games for a while.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
The Evil Within 2 was really bad, it deserves those sales.

Surely mods or something (other than lowering the difficulty) could make the combat in Wolfenstein 2 a lil better. The story in WS2 was the best part about it. It doesn't deserve bad sales, but the difficulty in combat was uneven.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Man it feels bad seeing those The Evil Within 2 sales. It's one of the best games i have played this gen. Expected much better sales.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Prey sales don't seem too bad, but I wonder what % of them were actually at full price, considering that, at least on PS4, it was on sale 50%+ off not too many months after release.

I'm very sad about The Evil Within 2. The director of that game went on the 8-4 Play podcast and was very interesting, and had numerous cool stories on how he got a job in the Japanese game industry, what was challenging about development, etc. I was hoping his directorial debut would sell well!

scrabble

Banned
May 8, 2018
People saying Evil Within 2 is good has piqued my interest. Would I enjoy it if I thought the first game was a boring mess?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually expecting a little worse. I still need to play the game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The marketing for the game was just awful. Not sure what the hell they were expecting.

i don't think it has anything to do with the marketing. just word got around it was meh and nobody really bothered with it.

still holding off on it personally. i'd gladly throw $60 at it right now as i'm jonesing for a single player FPS but everything i hear about it is negative or it's okay but with caveats

Oct 25, 2017
Well it was one of the worst playing FPS games this Gen so yeah, didn't deserve shit. A shocking story and some interesting characters only go so far.

Edit: okay. That's a bit harsh. Can't emphasize how bitterly disappointed I was with the game. Especially since I had just played Doom a bit before, which while very different style plays so so well.

Last edited:

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think the moment to moment gameplay was as good as the previous Wolfenstein, but it was still a fun singleplayer FPS with an enjoyable story. Kind of a bummer that it didn't do too well as this game also goes harder against the nazi and racist ideologies flaring up recently than any other AAA game. It really is a product of the current political atmosphere. I kind of imagine these sales being used as ammo on less wholesome parts of the internet as "proof" gamers don't want "SJW" themes in videogames which is a shame.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in what you consider good games.

Recently, DOOM, the Witcher 3, the Legend of Zelda BOTW, Horizon, Whatever Happened to Edith Finch, Firewatch, and God of War (2018). Among others.

The Evil Within 2 had one of the worst stories, and mediocre combat I've seen in games in recent memory. I don't see how anyone can Stan for that game...but to each his/her own.

EDIT: WHAT REMAINS OF EDITH FINCH

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Considering TNO had 4 years to rack up those numbers, is 25% of that number after 8 months so bad?

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the game is terrible so I hope it gives Bethesda/MachineGames a kick in the arse to put more effort on the inevitable 3.

Prey deserves more, Im 6 hours in and its a joy.

quotethis

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Recently, DOOM, the Witcher 3, the Legend of Zelda BOTW, Horizon, Whatever Happened to Edith Finch, Firewatch, and God of War (2018). Among others.

The Evil Within 2 had one of the worst stories, and mediocre combat I've seen in games in recent memory. I don't see how anyone can Stan for that game...but to each his/her own.

It's funny you mention mediocre combat. Many here on this very forum slam Horizon and Witcher 3 all of the time for that very thing. I disagree with all of you, obviously. lol

I think TEW2 and Witcher 3 both have great combat/gameplay.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the Reddit thread for this.

That's good I guess? I'm disappointed I contributed to one of the purchases of the game, considering how bad it was. It would be neat if they could take a hint and maybe update their game post-release like most other developers do.

Why release a game with combat but no feedback for taking damage? Just, why?

Well, the game is terrible so I hope it gives Bethesda/MachineGames a kick in the arse to put more effort on the inevitable 3.

Prey deserves more, Im 6 hours in and its a joy.
I wish it was enough to get them to just update the damn game.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Less than The Old Blood? Ouch. I know the prices are different, but a full fledged sequel selling less than some stand alone spin off DLC seems pretty bad.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't as good as the other Wolfensteins. I don't see how it was expected to do well when word of mouth was weak among the fanbase.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny you mention mediocre combat. Many here on this very forum slam Horizon and Witcher 3 all of the time for that very thing. I disagree with all of you, obviously. lol

I think TEW2 and Witcher 3 both have great combat/gameplay.

I respectfully disagree that TEW2 has good combat. Many of the encounters involve close quarters combat and Sebastian's weird melee combat when you have 2 bullets available is completely nonsensical.

Like I see they want you to be stealthy, but even that is somewhat broken.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Wait. Are these people playing or total copies sold? If it's the latter then it seems fine to me?

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Its real issue was that it was a short, linear game with no replay value that released at full price in 2017. That doesn't fly anymore (at least rarely flies anymore).

HyperCroutons

May 25, 2018
New York
Personally I'm not surprise, it's one of the games I wish I held off on until it was cheaper because it wasn't worth full price. The level design, gameplay and story were all worst than the original. The only thing improved was the graphics. Also that terrible remix of a classic rock song at the end was just bad.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I expected something even worse tbh. Still, this probably means we won't be getting a sequel that is the same as the first 2 (just campaign, 15 hours, 60$)

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
It's not really that bad. Bethesda released a lot of games in 2017 that underperformed and had a similar number of sold units. It was a combination of awful marketing, release window (it was released a same day as AC Origins and Super Mario Odyssey) and mixed opinions at launch. I hope that sales won't discourage them from greenlighting Wolfenstein III.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
1-the game is messy on PC, currently there are a ton of bugs that haven't been patched.

2-I still strongly believe Bethesda should cool it with their attitude. Sure they own Fallout and Elder Scrolls, those are November franchises.
But the rest of their games AREN'T November tier. Dishonored is awesome but it's not "up to snuff" with other November games. This one was released the same day as AC:O and Mario Odyssey, they could've delayed it a week. But they though: "we're Bethesda, it will sell".

BUT IT DIDN'T. Same with Prey, people think they will buy their games just because they are Bethesda? Market the damn thing for fuck's sake.

That same attitude was why their E3 conference was only second to EA's in worst conferences. Not everything they do needs clapping, they are not "the coolest kids in the block". Bethesda makes good games, but they should reaaaaally stop pretending their games are fine enough to compete with other AAA franchises in busy moments of the year. January and April would be good months for Dishonored and Wolfenstein imo.

data

Oct 25, 2017
1-the game is messy on PC, currently there are a ton of bugs that haven't been patched.

2-I still strongly believe Bethesda should cool it with their attitude. Sure they own Fallout and Elder Scrolls, those are November franchises.
But the rest of their games AREN'T November tier. Dishonored is awesome but it's not "up to snuff" with other November games. This one was released the same day as AC:O and Mario Odyssey, they could've delayed it a week. But they though: "we're Bethesda, it will sell".

BUT IT DIDN'T. Same with Prey, people think they will buy their games just because they are Bethesda? Market the damn thing for fuck's sake.

That same attitude was why their E3 conference was only second to EA's in worst conferences. Not everything they do needs clapping, they are not "the coolest kids in the block". Bethesda makes good games, but they should reaaaaally stop pretending their games are fine enough to compete with other AAA franchises in busy moments of the year. January and April would be good months for Dishonored and Wolfenstein imo.
I don't think it's just that. They've been really bad with their new marketing strategy which currently seems like to do very little of it.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many copies accumulatively would it it need to sell to be profitable, do we have a ball park on that?