• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Edit: confirmed by Campo Santo blog
http://blog.camposanto.com/post/173170027579/campo-santo-news

The twelve of us at Campo Santo have agreed to join Valve, where we will maintain our jobs as video game developers and continue production on our current project, In the Valley of Gods.

Original thread:

https://kotaku.com/sources-valve-buys-firewatch-developer-campo-santo-1825445890
Independent studio Campo Santo (Firewatch) has been acquired by a most unlikely of suitors—Valve, a digital store operator that once made video games. Three people familiar with the news confirmed the purchase to Kotaku today.

Mod edit:
Campo Santo blog said:
Yes, we're still making In the Valley of Gods (as a Valve game!); yes, we'll still support Firewatch; and yes, we'll still produce The Quarterly Review and our regular blog content. Thanks so much for your interest in our games and we'll see you in Washington. Cheers.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I just read the article, very interesting.

I wonder if in the future Valve will use that team to make smaller games with their IPs.

Last edited:

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Firewatch 2

Competitive F2P fire watching game with steam marketplace support and micrtransactions out the ass confirmed!

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
No more games from Campo Santo... (mostly kidding)
Great buy from Valve anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Hope this doesn't mean no future console ports...or their next title being pushed back from switching to using Source (did it have a release window anyway?)

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I guess their Egypt game goes in the vault forever now. I look forward to the new Firewatch hats in TF2 and some sick Olly Moss gun skins for CS:GO.

But, for real, congratulations to Campo Santo.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Seriously? Is In the Valley of Gods the next big thing from Valve? cause it looked fine, in line with Firewatch.

Also does this mean that the game is Steam exclusive now?

Last edited:

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Wowwwwwww, hey this could signal a very bright future for Valve's narrative driven Games. Maybe they'll lead the charge in new IP, Portal, or Half-Life. Wishful thinking but I can't imagine they'd be just buy out a studio like this and say "go make Dota shit"

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Campo Santo to develop HL3 let's gooooo

No, really, this is very weird if true.
This either means Valve wants to make singleplayer again or we just lost a great studio.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I uh... what?

Loved Firewatch and am very much looking forward to their next game so this is weird to see, especially given the people who make up Campo Santo, I guess? Really hope they're extremely hands off and let them make what they want to make.

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be a VR showcase, for sure.
The sneak peaks Campo Santo have been showing off have been really, really good.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? Is this the next big thing from Valve? cause it looked fine, in line with Firewatch.

Also does this mean that the game is Steam exclusive now?
No, mine craft is Microsoft and they didn't pull any versions off any device.

Seeing this thread with the word Bad underneath made me chuckle.

Roxoriku

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Campo Santo is working on their final game
/s

In seriousness, this is great news for them and I hope this is a show for the direction Valve is headed towards in terms of game development.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Seems like such a weird pick-up by Valve after basically purging most their in-house writers. I wonder if this is just a piece of a bigger strategy for them. I'm super psyched for the Campo Santo guys, hopefully they have a smoothe transition, both in their work lives and with the transition to Seattle. Hopefully the Idle Thumbs guys can talk a little bit about it on their podcasts.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Very very good. In the Valley of Gods looks great, and I've always felt that Valve should be expanding their development studios and building more unique content for Steam.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
CLNl81b.gif