• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If "I don't like thing" is shit posting and adds nothing to the discussion on this forum, then half the threads and posts on this forum should be deleted, because that constitutes a huge majority of what people on here post.

I agree they should be, and think the mods actually do a crappy job of getting it done.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure how this even relates to what we've been talking about, i.e. people calling out Valve for no longer making games.

Of course, because you're sticking your head out to not see that the majority of people in this topic are NOT bitching about valve not making games, but rather saying stupid shit like valve doesn't make anything or they make hats. It's already been explained to you, you're just being obtuse.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still find it amazing how often I hear "Valve just make hats", or "Valve are just a storefront" considering how much they have done for the industry over the past couple of years. Even if their only announced games of note are The Lab and Artifact.

I guess most of these people are consumers though, who don't really care about all the software they have developed and open sourced. A lot of it really helping the game industry in an important way outside of just being a storefront.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I agree they should be, and think the mods actually do a crappy job of getting it done.

Yikes... I have no comment for this.

Of course, because you're sticking your head out to not see that the majority of people in this topic are NOT bitching about valve not making games, but rather saying stupid shit like valve doesn't make anything or they make hats. It's already been explained to you, you're just being obtuse.

Ok, firstly... relax.

There's literally no need for this level of hostility at all, It's entirely unwarranted and only proves you're aware of the untenable position you're arguing, Krejlooc.

If you can't see how the intent behind a post that says something like "Valve makes hats these days" in a thread related to Valve and games development, isn't a statement about Valve not making games, then I'd argue that it's perhaps you who is being a little obtuse... but then I know for a fact that you're smart enough to know that and that you're just choosing to disingenuously argue a strawman about people not knowing that Valve does other things, which is both tangential and irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Note: I'm not even excusing shitty one-liner posts like "lol hats" (just in case you want to try and mischaracterize my argument). I'm just pointing out to you the weird strawman you're seeming to want to insist on arguing.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit. Those are the people that are angriest with them, and for good reason.Valve abandoned their original fan base; kicked them straight to the curb to chase money. Couldn't even give us the respect of actually communicating with us, just years and years of absolute silence or a throwaway comment here and there in coded words. Screw 'em.

Quoting myself from earlier:

These people need to examine why they feel it's okay to ruin other people's enjoyment of a forum because a business has acted like a business.

Valve don't owe anyone communication. Valve don't owe anyone a third HL game. "Oh, but it ended on a cliffhanger" you say. So what? Creativity does not apply itself in equal measures (see also: Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony"). Forcing Valve/Steam threads into narrow confines based on consistent misinformation, pettiness, juvenile jokes and entitlement is selfish and inconsiderate for those of us who want to talk about how Valve strikes out from the preconceived norms of the games industry.

This just seems like a weird tangential direction you're arguing, Krejlooc. People posting shitty "lol hats" memes don't really care about what other stuff Valve is doing, when the elephant in the room, i.e. the thing they really care about—that they don't really work on games much anymore—still very much holds true.

Except it doesn't... And the fact that people are saying this in a thread about how Valve have acquired a developer working on a game shows how much people like to hold onto their misinformed opinions.

When Michael Jordan quit playing basketball and tried his hand at a baseball career, people didn't really care about what he was doing in baseball. He was a basketball star. That is what he was known and admired for. So similarly, people having been passionate about Valve games development history, seeing current Valve aren't going to care about Valve's non-gaming activities... why should they?

It's fine to not be as (or at all) passionate about Valve when they're not making the things you want. But there's a difference between passion and hatred and close-mindedness. Like, their work on Vulkan has helped push graphics API performance, but rather than people saying "Oh, hey, this isn't what I want but I appreciate the boost in FPS", it's "lol Valve don't do anything but make money from Steam". It's like there's a wilful ignorance about Valve at this point (which is why I end up posting in these threads even though I should just leave the ignorant to their own devices).

You're trying to argue that people don't know what other non-games development stuff Valve is doing, when in fact it's simply that they don't care and you shouldn't even expect them to, so long as Valve continues to move away from their games development heritage.

Steam (and therefore Valve's non-gaming heritage) has been in existence since 2003. Non-gaming is as much a part of who Valve are as gaming, and that's forever been the case. Does that mean people should care about their non-gaming output. Yeah, I think so, but I'm not going to force anyone to care. What I would very much appreciate, though, is that people who come into these threads should be willing to be open-minded, receptive to having their mind changed, and respectful of the people who do want to care about Valve's non-gaming output. As it is, I probably tripled the size of my ignore list just based on random drive-bys from people who don't understand that company priorities change as the industry changes.

Last edited:

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
I bought firewatch, so I'm part of the reason of why this happened. jk

Imagine being a small indie studio one day and becoming part of one the juggernauts in this industry. Happy for that studio

Btw some people are having serious abandonment/expectation issues when it comes to a media company, sheesh

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Except it doesn't... And the fact that people are saying this in a thread about how Valve have acquired a developer working on a game shows how much people like to hold onto their misinformed opinions.

I would agree with you here. Valve clearly does still have an interest in games development, given the subject of the thread. But it's disingenuous to try to deny that they games development output over the past close to a decade has been anaemic at best.

It's fine to not be as (or at all) passionate about Valve when they're not making the things you want. But there's a difference between passion and hatred and close-mindedness. Like, their work on Vulkan has helped push graphics API performance, but rather than people saying "Oh, hey, this isn't what I want but I appreciate the boost in FPS", it's "lol Valve don't do anything but make money from Steam". It's like there's a wilful ignorance about Valve at this point (which is why I end up posting in these threads even though I should just leave the ignorant to their own devices).

I think you're projecting these strong negative emotions like "hate" onto posters who clearly looking to jokingly take cheap shots at Valve over their thin games development slate over the past few years. Valve's work with Vulkan and VR and all their other legitimately great contributions with their non-gaming activities are mostly relevant to developers and not gamers, and so I personally think it naive to expect gamers in general who mostly won't even know what Vulkan is, to care about that stuff. These folks care about games, games Valve has barely been making since they shifted focus.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not even excusing shitty drive-by oneliner posts like "lol, Valve makes hats". I'm merely explaining the sentiment behind such posts and arguing why it shouldn't be difficult to understand why said posters don't even possess a passing interest in Valve's non-gaming related work.

I mean, this is broadly the same community that invented the "Fuck Konami" meme, when Konami decided to screw over Kojipro and quite console games development. You didn't really see poster going into those threads on the old forum and arguing that people should try to care about the great things Konami is doing in the Pachinko slot machine space... it just wouldn't have been relevant to the audience.

Steam (and therefore Valve's non-gaming heritage) has been in existence since 2003. Non-gaming is as much a part of who Valve are as gaming, and that's forever been the case. Does that mean people should care about their non-gaming output. Yeah, I think so, but I'm not going to force anyone to care. What I would very much appreciate, though, is that people who come into these threads should be willing to be open-minded, receptive to having their mind changed, and respectful of the people who do want to care about Valve's non-gaming output. As it is, I probably tripled the size of my ignore list just based on random drive-bys from people who don't understand that company priorities change as the industry changes.

None of this really takes away from the fact that people's ire at Valve's seeming abandonment of games development (which I personally admit was not total), is based on their primary interest in Valve as an organisation being in their games development heritage. Once it became clear that Valve had far less interest in making games the way they used to, many of their fans turned against them. I don't see it as difficult to understand the reason why.

Also, people throwing shade at Valve no longer making games (whether that's true or not) isn't or at least shouldn't be considered as being disrespectful to other posters who actually care about Valve's non-games development activities. They're attacking Valve, not you; regardless of how misinformed their attacks might be.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This is how the new valve games are gonna be made, they're gonna buy up companies that are already working on games. /s

So... they're going to do what they've been doing for the last 20 years?

Yeah this is standard Valve. Outside of HL, all of their content has in some form originated from the hiring modders / devs with some sort of idea

TF, CS were from modders who Valve picked up
Dota2 came from hiring Icefrog was behing the original mod and they put that together with what they were working on.
L4D came from hiring the newly formed Turtle Rock devs, after Valve were chasing one of the devs before that
Portal came from Narbucular Drop by some Digipen students going by the name Nuclear Monkey. The only remaining feature from that is the concept of portals. Then for Portal 2 the paints mechanics originated from a mod concept
Alien Swarm came from Valve picking up modders trying to make the mod
Now Artifact has come from picking up Richard Garfield of MtG fame.
HL is the the only property of Valve's own, but you could also argue the same is true for Portal, which has no resemblance to ND. Similarly this is true for all of these games to an extent, and Valve seems to hire lots of people from mod communities / developers with that kind of background etc. Pretty sure a few of the people making HL also had that kind of background

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're projecting these strong negative emotions like "hate" onto posters who clearly looking to jokingly take cheap shots at Valve over their thin games development slate over the past few years. Valve's work with Vulkan and VR and all their other legitimately great contributions with their non-gaming activities are mostly relevant to developers and not gamers, and so I personally think it naive to expect gamers in general who mostly won't even know what Vulkan is, to care about that stuff. These folks care about games, games Valve has barely been making since they shifted focus.

[...]

None of this really takes away from the fact that people's ire at Valve's seeming abandonment of games development (which I personally admit was not total), is based on their primary interest in Valve as an organisation being in their games development heritage. Once it became clear that Valve had far less interest in making games the way they used to, many of their fans turned against them. I don't see it as difficult to understand the reason why.

Also, people throwing shade at Valve no longer making games (whether that's true or not) isn't or at least shouldn't be considered as being disrespectful to other posters who actually care about Valve's non-games development activities. They're attacking Valve, not you; regardless of how misinformed their attacks might be.

I wonder how many of these posters - people who don't care about non-games Valve - game first-and-foremost on PC, and how many even read PC-centred websites. I also wonder how many of the people you mention are wilfully ignorant, and how many genuinely just don't care about the details. Obviously, not everyone has an interest in the technical details, and that's fine, but if people are going to complain so vociferously - with so much venom, and so often - then surely it behoves them to not be so ignorant about the company they're complaining about, with such paranoia and misinformation. It genuinely wouldn't be hard for people to become more informed about Valve (and Steam). We are, after all, on a website dedicated to games, and in terms of learning more about various things on the first page of gaming side alone we have:

FRAME DATA and fighting game jargon feels like learning Chinese. Can we simplify this?
[GamingBolt] Graphics Analysis - God of War: Arguably The Best Looking Game of All Time
What did Horizon ZD do to make 30 FPS so smooth?
Television Displays and Technology Thread: The ERA of OLED is Now
All games with PS4 Pro enhancements

It's not a hard or unfair ask - I think - that people who post in Valve-related threads with, for example "valve is.. not a game company anymore" (and such like) verse themselves in what the company is (and has been) doing, just like they would be expected to in a console/monitor/TV/speaker thread. And, indeed, my point (badly phrased, sorry) about respect was not about people throwing shade at Valve, but people disrespecting those of us who do know what Valve have been doing, and aren't bitter about the lack of single-player games. Many of us would welcome different viewpoints on the value of, I dunno... a 4K Steam Link, but instead people post things like "Valve Stan", and that's another user in the ignore list.

Anyways, I'm trying to learn to be less argumentative, so I hope I got my point across without being all "rarrrrrrgh!" :)

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The tweet saying it's coming to Consoles is cute, it's not coming out at all even on PC, it's a Valve game.
Seriously though good for the devs, can't wait to play this.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
This thread, just like most other Valve threads, is a mess of tired old jokes, drive-by shitposts, and "Valve's makes no games" arguments that completely derailed any conversation about Campo Santos' upcoming game and general role at Valve. I am going to send a detailed complaint to someone at the mod team about this situation, there is a consistent lack of sufficient supervision of Valve threads and it makes having a normal discussion practically impossible, since those of us who follow the company and its projects are constantly forced to get into arguments about how Valve isn't just making hats or sitting on Steam's pile of cash. I would like an explanation as to why saying stuff like "Valve only makes hats" or "Valve sits and collects Steam money all day" is ok while every other "lazy devs" argument is heavily penalized. What sort of double standard is this that excludes the company that has done amazing things for PC gaming over the years from every kind of protection from misinformed posters?

I realize that I am breaking the rules by complaining publicly about the lack of moderation in Valve threads. If the mods decide that I should be the first person to receive a warning in this thread I will accept it, but I hope that they will realize that this policy towards Valve and other PC threads is wrong and unfair. If the moderation team doesn't follow Valve or PC threads because of lack of interest or time then the team needs some additions with people who are interested in PC and relevant threads.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
This thread, just like most other Valve threads, is a mess of tired old jokes, drive-by shitposts, and "Valve's makes no games" arguments that completely derailed any conversation about Campo Santos' upcoming game and general role at Valve. I am going to send a detailed complaint to someone at the mod team about this situation, there is a consistent lack of sufficient supervision of Valve threads and it makes having a normal discussion practically impossible, since those of us who follow the company and its projects are constantly forced to get into arguments about how Valve isn't just making hats or sitting on Steam's pile of cash. I would like an explanation as to why saying stuff like "Valve only makes hats" or "Valve sits and collects Steam money all day" is ok while every other "lazy devs" argument is heavily penalized. What sort of double standard is this that excludes the company that has done amazing things for PC gaming over the years from from every kind of protection from misinformed posters?

I realize that I am breaking the rules by complaining publicly about the lack of moderation in Valve threads. If the mods decide that I should be the first person to receive a warning in this thread I will accept it, but I hope that they will realize that this policy towards Valve and other PC threads is wrong and unfair. If the moderation team doesn't follow Valve or PC threads because of lack of interest or time then the team needs some additions with people who are interested in PC and relevant threads.

Yes to all of the above, and I'll make explicit some of what has been implicit on my posts about all this, in response:

1) Yes, I, too, am criticising the lack of moderation that allows literal "lazy devs" posts to not even cause the poster to be warned. It's embarrassing, truly.
2) I would happily put my name forward to be a mod, since I get suckered into these threads anyways.
3) Were this a Sony, Nintendo or MS thread, there would have been heavy moderation. Even Win10 Store threads are moderated to be more on-topic than Valve threads.
4) Yes, I'll take a warning for talking about moderation standards and not complain (no bans pls, though - I need to talk about politics in PoliERA. :p ).

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
This thread, just like most other Valve threads, is a mess of tired old jokes, drive-by shitposts, and "Valve's makes no games" arguments that completely derailed any conversation about Campo Santos' upcoming game and general role at Valve. I am going to send a detailed complaint to someone at the mod team about this situation, there is a consistent lack of sufficient supervision of Valve threads and it makes having a normal discussion practically impossible, since those of us who follow the company and its projects are constantly forced to get into arguments about how Valve isn't just making hats or sitting on Steam's pile of cash. I would like an explanation as to why saying stuff like "Valve only makes hats" or "Valve sits and collects Steam money all day" is ok while every other "lazy devs" argument is heavily penalized. What sort of double standard is this that excludes the company that has done amazing things for PC gaming over the years from every kind of protection from misinformed posters?

Go for it m8, you have my support as well. It's perfectly fine to dislike what a company does, but too many people are writing complete nonsense about Valve and Steam, while refusing to respond to any replies proving that they are wrong.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
This thread, just like most other Valve threads, is a mess of tired old jokes, drive-by shitposts, and "Valve's makes no games" arguments that completely derailed any conversation about Campo Santos' upcoming game and general role at Valve.
Yeah, and I don't even understand the irrational hate for Valve. They've made fantastic games in the past and present, and they've played an instrumental role in saving PC gaming (or at least bringing it to the point at which it is today), yet they are worse than EA because... I can't even follow most of the "arguments" presented here. Or is the resurgence of PC gaming part of the problem?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, and I don't even understand the irrational hate for Valve. They've made fantastic games in the past and present, and they've played an instrumental role in saving PC gaming (or at least bringing it to the point at which it is today), yet they are worse than EA because... I can't even follow most of the "arguments" presented here. Or is the resurgence of PC gaming part of the problem?

I don't know. What I do know is that any Valve thread that draws the attention of people who don't game on PC always devolves into the same old crap. There's a huge difference in post quality between Valve threads that don't interest the overall Resetera community (like the fantastic Steam Input thread) and Valve threads that have something, anything to do with console gaming that end up being monumental shit shows. These threads are being attacked by trolls constantly and these trolls get away with it because the moderation team isn't using the same criteria as other heated threads or they are not paying enough attention to them.

Something has to change, which is why I'm putting myself on the line by breaking the rules and speakjng about moderation policy publicly. Most of us might end up getting banned anyway, it's incredibly frustrating to be constantly forced to respond to the same old nonsense again and again and again until you lose your temper and end up with a warning or ban. We are equal members of this community and we should be getting the same protection from trolls and shitposters, just like we are subject to the same penalties.

Last edited:

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
The harassment of Valve has got to stop.
One could argue that Valve is the sole reason PC gaming as we know it exists today. They are the reason all the indie games that you talk about in every other thread became a viable option to develop for any aspiring programmer on the planet. They provide daily entertainment to tens of millions of people with their ongoing multiplayer games, far longer than any of their single player games did before. Their games enabled esports to flourish. They develop open source VR and Audio technology for others to use. They brought PC gaming to the living room and enabled detailed configuration options even for Sony and Microsoft controllers.
Do not be ungrateful to Valve because you lack the imagination to finish a hero saves the world storyline in your head. They even gave closure to HL series with the ending of Portal 2.
Valve are the good guys.

The-Rock-clapping-Clapping.gif

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
The harassment of Valve has got to stop.

Eh, I'm pretty sure they can take it. Nothing here is outright offensive.

tenor.gif

However, it is mostly just drive-by bullshit, shit posting and gish galloping. It makes having a conversation impossible. Worse yet people that take the time to correct misinformation get pms calling them shills.

This has to stop.

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
These threads are being attacked by trolls constantly and these trolls get away with it because the moderation team isn't using the same criteria as other heated threads or they are not paying enough attention to them.

Something has to change, which is why I'm putting myself on the line by breaking the rules and speakjng about moderation policy publicly. Most of us might end up getting banned anyway, it's incredibly frustrating to be constantly forced to respond to the same old nonsense again and again and again until you lose your temper and end up with a warning or ban. We are equal members of this community and we should be getting the same protection from trolls and shitposters, just like we are subject to the same penalties.

+1

the moderation here is not consistent - I've seen how small comments about Xbox or PS can trigger warnings, even done in jest, but the rules for PC threads go by a different standard. The lack of consistency with moderation across different platforms is what bothers me the most.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017

Ding ding ding

It's no secret that a lot of people here regard PC gaming with confusion and agitation.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
+1

the moderation here is not consistent - I've seen how small comments about Xbox or PS can trigger warnings, even done in jest, but the rules for PC threads go by a different standard. The lack of consistency with moderation across different platforms is what bothers me the most.
Yeah.

It isn't just this thread. Shitty threads happen, however this is but one example in a multitude. It is fairly consistently bad.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

Great post. I also think there is a lot of people looking for any reason to hate on Valve because of how significant they were in the post-2009 rise of PC gaming, and they dislike having another big player on the field.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely agree with the above posts. This is every single thread about valve, regardless of what the news actually is.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to say that it speaks to the absolute disregard for Valve/Steam threads by the moderators that there's not even been a "We're aware of your concerns" comment in the 6 hours since Alexandros's post publicly complaining about the moderation.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them. They're a talented group of devs.

ItVotG looks so good, wonder if this means they'll have more resources available to them.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them. They're a talented group of devs.

ItVotG looks so good, wonder if this means they'll have more resources available to them.

Undoubtedly more financial resources, which in real terms means more time. The stupid "Valve never ship games" jokes obscure the fact that, actually, if Campo Santo want extra time to refine or add features, they can now have it without it negatively affecting their day-to-day living, or physical/mental health. There's certainly not going to be a crunch-period, either.

Wait what? Seriously?
The fuck.

Yup. Shitty behaviour. (I didn't get the PM, btw, just heard about it).

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Firewatch was one of those games that did a brilliant job of playing with player expectations and assumptions without it feeling like a contrivance. That's the level of storytelling I want to see as often as possible, so a long-established company being willing to back that team's current and future projects is great news. That's recognition, confidence, and encouragement all wrapped up into one. ItVoG has looked fascinating.

Edit: Oh my goodness, what happened in this discussion, lol

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The only mod-action in this thread is editing the first post into reassuring the Console gamers, that Campo Santo's new game is still coming to consoles.

It is a solid reason to edit, but it is the only moderation in this thread...

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm tempted to say that it speaks to the absolute disregard for Valve/Steam threads by the moderators that there's not even been a "We're aware of your concerns" comment in the 6 hours since Alexandros's post publicly complaining about the moderation.

As I said, I notified the administration. It may be a timezone issue or some discussions might be taking place, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know. What I do know is that any Valve thread that draws the attention of people who don't game on PC always devolves into the same old crap. The difference in post quality between Valve threads that don't interest the overall Resetera community (like the fantastic Steam Input thread) and Valve threads that have something, anything to do with console gaming end up being monumental shit shows. These threads are being attacked by trolls constantly and these trolls get away with it because the moderation team isn't using the same criteria as other heated threads or they are not paying enough attention to them.
That's really what it comes down to: it's obvious to everyone who follows both types of threads, it repeats like a clockwork, and it's highly annoying.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the collective mod reaction to Alexandros' post will be "....these fucking nerds" and extreme eye rolling. We already know what the score is after that Bayonetta 3/Steam thread fallout.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to them. Story-driven games are where I like Valve best, so it's comforting to see them touching back into that.

Campo Santo seem like a really amazing bunch of people. Hope they find a good home there and keep making awesome games.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
"Valve doesnt make games" has been cemented into the community, even among people who play their stuff, since Portal 2 came out.

Everytime we had threads back then for someone leaving Valve or interviews with Gabe that just added more fuel to the fire. Top it all off with the HL3 script leak by Mark Laidlaw himself.

Very few of my friends want to invest into VR or dont enjoy playing their multiplayer games anymore. The reaction for Artifact's reveal was telling.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mobile gaming and Steam conversations are basically a no-go on this forum. Same old bullshit. If it's not console war oriented then there is little interest and lots of drive bys.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really is quite amusing to see so many people up at arms that threads have gone to shit when the entire last page has been people complaining about the thread turning to shit and no one actually turning it to shit.

Personally I quite enjoyed Firewatch and as someone that doesn't use my PC all that often, I'm disappointed that their new game is going to be Steam only. I think that's fine for me to say. Valve hasn't made a game I'm interested in since 2011. Firewatch's next game will be their first since then. Looking forward to playing it at some point.

Congrats to the team at Campo Santo, they deserve all their success.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Happy that their new game is still coming to consoles, and I hope their talent is put to good use in the future on actual games coming from Valve.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll step in and say that I don't hate Valve, I've just become indifferent to them.

I admit I'm a console single player gamer so like 95% of their content is useless to me. But years ago I was a huge fan of Portal and Half-life and not getting any sort of resuloution left me very burned with the company. For many year I was angry but now I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

I think the problem is that some people just can't get out of the anger phase. I do think people shouldn't muck up threads.
Do not be ungrateful to Valve because you lack the imagination to finish a hero saves the world storyline in your head. They even gave closure to HL series with the ending of Portal 2.
Valve are the good guys.
I actually agree with most of your post but was this bit hear really necessary? People can "imagine" all they want for how any story goes it's not going to be better then an actual proper conclusion.(and going by that leaked script it would have been a little more complicated then that.) I'd also hardly call anything in Portal 2 remotely close to closure but I admit it's been awhile.

Should people not have been excited to finally see Shenmu 3? After all they can just imagine how it could have gone.

I understand your frustrated at the shit posters but I don't think that reason to ignore how frustrating that cliffhanger was for a lot of people.
I imagine the collective mod reaction to Alexandros' post will be "....these fucking nerds" and extreme eye rolling. We already know what the score is after that Bayonetta 3/Steam thread fallout.
Wait what happened with Bayonetta?

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand complaints about the Portal games not having 'proper endings'.

e:
and as for Half life... HL1 had one of the biggest cop-out endings of all time (OF ALL TIME).
Then HL2 had an even bigger one.

HL2ep2 ain't shit in comparison for unresolved storyline.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know In the Valley of the Gods existed. It looks great.

Finally a new Valve game I'm exited about.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand complaints about the Portal games not having 'proper endings'.

e:
and as for Half life... HL1 had one of the biggest cop-out endings of all time (OF ALL TIME).
Then HL2 had an even bigger one.

HL2ep2 ain't shit in comparison for unresolved storyline.

I wasn't around for those as my introduction to the series was the Orange Box.(I'm a silly old console gamer.)

I also honestly don't see how it matters because those two received continuations while Episode 2 is likely never going to be resolved.

Something being bad before doesn't mean it's still not bad now.

While I understand being frustrated at people shitting up threads I don't like undermining the frustration at not having a story be resolved for so long. If it didn't bother you fine but it clearly was very frustrating to a lot of people.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll step in and say that I don't hate Valve, I've just become indifferent to them.

I admit I'm a console single player gamer so like 95% of their content is useless to me. But years ago I was a huge fan of Portal and Half-life and not getting any sort of resuloution left me very burned with the company. For many year I was angry but now I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

I think the problem is that some people just can't get out of the anger phase. I do think people shouldn't muck up threads.

I actually agree with most of your post but was this bit hear really necessary? People can "imagine" all they want for how any story goes it's not going to be better then an actual proper conclusion.(and going by that leaked script it would have been a little more complicated then that.) I'd also hardly call anything in Portal 2 remotely close to closure but I admit it's been awhile.

Should people not have been excited to finally see Shenmu 3? After all they can just imagine how it could have gone.

I understand your frustrated at the shit posters but I don't think that reason to ignore how frustrating that cliffhanger was for a lot of people.

Wait what happened with Bayonetta?
IIRC:
One of the users in Steam Community thread said he thinks Bayonetta 3 will be a timed exclusive based on the trademarks. Suddenly, some Nintendo fans who had never posted in the Steam community threads, literally 'invaded' the Steam Community thread and started posting "stop embarrassing yourselves", some stuff about portbegging and such things. After another Steam user took a screenshot (or posted the tweet as media, I don't remember correctly) of a tweet from one of the Nintendo fans (that tweet was related to the whole thing), some Nintendo fans abused the shit out of the report button, which resulted to the thread getting locked temporarily and some Steam users getting banned while Nintendo fans walked out free. (Though, tbf, posting that tweet on the thread was against the rules)

Last edited: