• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't help that the only mod who seemed to care about PC stuff got demodded over some utter bullshit.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'll step in and say that I don't hate Valve, I've just become indifferent to them.

I admit I'm a console single player gamer so like 95% of their content is useless to me. But years ago I was a huge fan of Portal and Half-life and not getting any sort of resuloution left me very burned with the company. For many year I was angry but now I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

I think the problem is that some people just can't get out of the anger phase. I do think people shouldn't muck up threads.

I actually agree with most of your post but was this bit hear really necessary? People can "imagine" all they want for how any story goes it's not going to be better then an actual proper conclusion.(and going by that leaked script it would have been a little more complicated then that.) I'd also hardly call anything in Portal 2 remotely close to closure but I admit it's been awhile.

Should people not have been excited to finally see Shenmu 3? After all they can just imagine how it could have gone.

I understand your frustrated at the shit posters but I don't think that reason to ignore how frustrating that cliffhanger was for a lot of people.

Wait what happened with Bayonetta?

IIRC:
One of the users in Steam Community thread said he thinks Bayonetta 3 will be a time exclusive based on the trademarks. Suddenly, some Nintendo fans who had never posted in the Steam community threads, literally 'invaded' the Steam Community thread and started posting "stop embarrassing yourselves", some stuff about portbegging and such things. After another Steam user took a screenshot (or posted the tweet as media, I don't remember correctly) of a tweet from one of the Nintendo fans (that tweet was related to the whole thing), some Nintendo fans abused the shit out of the report button, which resulted to the thread getting locked temporarily and some Steam users getting banned while Nintendo fans walked out free. (Though, tbf, posting that tweet on the thread was against the rules)

To add to this, this is why Jawmuncher became a mod, since the mod team from the fallout and unhapiness of Steam users admitted they didn't really have many on the mod team that were involved in the PC community and din't really follow it, so there is a lot being overlooked in Era's PC communities. And Jawie confirmed there's some "bullying" happening to PC gamers on ResetEra, one prime and easy to see example is in threads like this it's very unlikely for PC users to report posts they don't agree with and try to talk it out instead, while post made in support of the PC platform in heated debate are far more likely to be massed reported by certain users, which is what lead to the Bayonetta Steam situation and some others like it. They're still trying to figure out a solution for this.

But a lot of PC users are unhappy with the difference in treatment of threads. If this was a thread on Nintendo or Sony purchasing Campo for example, and if some people posted what they're posting about Valve in reference to Nintendo or Sony, this thread would go down much, much differently. It's apparently okay to openly troll on Valve's behalf and say all sorts of things, but not on Nintendo or Sony. There's a lot of rules on discussion on Era which don't seem enforced on PC threads, and any PC thread that attracts console gamers becomes a shitshow. A lot of PC gamera on Era are just really tired of it since any thread that doesn't attract them are pleasent and civil, but the moment something attracts the console base on Era it just goes down the drain and nothing is done about it, or in some bad cases in the past the PC community takes the fall for something which wasn't their fault to begin with.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't around for those as my introduction to the series was the Orange Box.(I'm a silly old console gamer.)

I also honestly don't see how it matters because those two received continuations while Episode 2 is likely never going to be resolved.

Something being bad before doesn't mean it's still not bad now.

While I understand being frustrated at people shitting up threads I don't like undermining the frustration at not having a story be resolved for so long. If it didn't bother you fine but it clearly was very frustrating to a lot of people.

I'm not really 'undermining' people who want an ending to HL (and btw, its out, go read it) so much as pointing out that the HL series have unsatisfying endings and always have.
Just because your first experience might have been the very last entry in the series doesn't change that.

It's like... shit, it's like if you only just got into A Game Of Thrones and are complaining now about the next book taking awhile, or not seeing where things are being wrapped up any time soon.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. What I do know is that any Valve thread that draws the attention of people who don't game on PC always devolves into the same old crap. There's a huge difference in post quality between Valve threads that don't interest the overall Resetera community (like the fantastic Steam Input thread) and Valve threads that have something, anything to do with console gaming that end up being monumental shit shows. These threads are being attacked by trolls constantly and these trolls get away with it because the moderation team isn't using the same criteria as other heated threads or they are not paying enough attention to them.

Something has to change, which is why I'm putting myself on the line by breaking the rules and speakjng about moderation policy publicly. Most of us might end up getting banned anyway, it's incredibly frustrating to be constantly forced to respond to the same old nonsense again and again and again until you lose your temper and end up with a warning or ban. We are equal members of this community and we should be getting the same protection from trolls and shitposters, just like we are subject to the same penalties.
Well said.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this means Nick can just pop down from VanCity to do Idle Thumbs, which I hope continues uninterrupted. That's my first concern.

I'm glad they're going to be mostly left alone to make their games, and hope this is a sign of game-related things from Valve

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of rules on discussion on Era which don't seem enforced on PC threads, and any PC thread that attracts console gamers becomes a shitshow.

I was mostly going to stay out of this whole discussion, and generally think that the best way of addressing the problems here is to report posts which break those rules and make your case. But I just wanted to say that I agree with this and it's far too much of a consistent trend for me to overlook. I thought this might just be because of the lack of mods interested in PC gaming, and having Jawmuncher join them would help, but I've really not seen that much improvement.

Doesn't help that the only mod who seemed to care about PC stuff got demodded over some utter bullshit.

??

The only one I know is Durante, who had other commitments and requested not to be a mod any more because he didn't have the time.

Last edited:

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To add to this, this is why Jawmuncher became a mod, since the mod team from the fallout and unhapiness of Steam users admitted they didn't really have many on the mod team that were involved in the PC community and din't really follow it, so there is a lot being overlooked in Era's PC communities. And Jawie confirmed there's some "bullying" happening to PC gamers on ResetEra, one prime and easy to see example is in threads like this it's very unlikely for PC users to report posts they don't agree with and try to talk it out instead, while post made in support of the PC platform in heated debate are far more likely to be massed reported by certain users, which is what lead to the Bayonetta Steam situation and some others like it. They're still trying to figure out a solution for this.

But a lot of PC users are unhappy with the difference in treatment of threads. If this was a thread on Nintendo or Sony purchasing Campo for example, and if some people posted what they're posting about Valve in reference to Nintendo or Sony, this thread would go down much, much differently. It's apparently okay to openly troll on Valve's behalf and say all sorts of things, but not on Nintendo or Sony. There's a lot of rules on discussion on Era which don't seem enforced on PC threads, and any PC thread that attracts console gamers becomes a shitshow. A lot of PC gamera on Era are just really tired of it since any thread that doesn't attract them are pleasent and civil, but the moment something attracts the console base on Era it just goes down the drain and nothing is done about it, or in some bad cases in the past the PC community takes the fall for something which wasn't their fault to begin with.

Thank you for this post.

Hopefully things get a bit more balanced, but it never happened on GAF so I doubt it. This is absolutely a console-centric forum at the end of the day.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
If you are talking about Durante then no, he stepped down due to work and not having enough time to do his modding duties I believe.

At the end of the day this is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, its just gaming stuff and it isn't such a big issue all thing considered but it really speaks poorly of the mod team if they only want to moderate things they care about vs doing their duties as mods.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What gets me about the complaints from console centric gamers is that they also make threads about the headaches of PC gaming... then ignore everything Valve has done to try and make PC gaming more accessible to console gamers. Things like Steam Controller Inputs (which apply to literally every major console game controller on the market) or Big Picture Mode. Valve spends considerable resources developing these things... only for the audience they are intended to primarily attract to willingly ignore them to post about "HATS LOL"

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea about that Nintendo/Steam Bayonetta beef, damn that's embarassing. Sometimes it's really weird being a fan of both on this forum, I remember late last year an ugly GOTY debate between PUBG and BotW lefting me very torn.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
Surprising news but I think it will be a good marriage. I usually don't complain about performance in games but Firewatch at launch on the PS4 was abysmal and detracted from the experience. Campo Santo will benefit greatly from Valve's technical prowess.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
If you want modding, maybe report posts that are reportworthy. I dont actually see much besides the general negativity when it comes to PC threads.

In the last similar thread people were "whining" too about no modding, then I contacted a mod and he literally showed me that no member of PCEra reported anything.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
This isn't a direct comment to this news, but it's crazy to me that every time I see Valve's name now I roll my eyes. They used to be top tier...

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want modding, maybe report posts that are reportworthy. I dont actually see much besides the general negativity when it comes to PC threads.

In the last similar thread people were "whining" too about no modding, then I contacted a mod and he literally showed me that no member of PCEra reported anything.

Yeah, the problem isn't that Pc gamers tend to skew older and richer - not a slight, just the reality of PC gaming - so aren't locked into a single platform choice due to circumstance and are willing and capable of discussing a subject like an adult.
Its that console warriors treat the snitch button like a reddit downvote and command all the resources.

"Oh he said soemthing I don't like! Uhhh "whataboutism", erm... "Bad Faith"... hum... "Thread Whining", uhmm.. "Derailing"" or other vaguely worded rules that are rife for abuse.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surprising news but I think it will be a good marriage. I usually don't complain about performance in games but Firewatch at launch on the PS4 was abysmal and detracted from the experience. Campo Santo will benefit greatly from Valve's technical prowess.
More likely the performance issues are due to Unity Engine, something that has performance issues on low end CPUs. If their new game is going to use the same engine, I wouldn't be optimistic, and we've seen no indication that they will use Source/2 nor if Source/2 runs at acceptable performance levels on PS4.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what I'm talking about.

Forums like these have a problem with agenda setting. Eventually opinion becomes fact, then "fact" gets used to shut down discussion. I've seen it happen on video game forums for years. Someone in this topic inadvertently said it best:

"Valve doesnt make games" has been cemented into the community, even among people who play their stuff, since Portal 2 came out.

Everytime we had threads back then for someone leaving Valve or interviews with Gabe that just added more fuel to the fire. Top it all off with the HL3 script leak by Mark Laidlaw himself.

Very few of my friends want to invest into VR or dont enjoy playing their multiplayer games anymore. The reaction for Artifact's reveal was telling.

Perhaps the reason it's become "cemented in the community," perhaps the reason the Artifact reveal was a shitshow, perhaps the reason that poster associates Valve with rolling his eyes, is because other posters go out of their way to bombard every single topic about valve with the same old "HATS HATS OLOL" bullshit. If you don't follow them at all, and every time you see them mentioned it's in threads that are shitshows full of nonsense posts, of course it's going to taint your perspective of them.

Problem is that there is a tipping point, where essentially any discussion about valve is shut down by these truthy facts. And it's really, really aggravating.

This doesn't happen ONLY to Valve. My avatar is a battle scar across several boards. But it definitely happens a lot to valve threads on this specific board.

Oct 27, 2017
Forums like these have a problem with agenda setting. Eventually opinion becomes fact, then "fact" gets used to shut down discussion. I've seen it happen on video game forums for years. Someone in this topic inadvertently said it best:

Perhaps the reason it's become "cemented in the community," perhaps the reason the Artifact reveal was a shitshow, perhaps the reason that poster associates Valve with rolling his eyes, is because other posters go out of their way to bombard every single topic about valve with the same old "HATS HATS OLOL" bullshit. If you don't follow them at all, and every time you see them mentioned it's in threads that are shitshows full of nonsense posts, of course it's going to taint your perspective of them.

Problem is that there is a tipping point, where essentially any discussion about valve is shut down by these truthy facts. And it's really, really aggravating.

This doesn't happen ONLY to Valve. My avatar is a battle scar across several boards. But it definitely happens a lot to valve threads on this specific board.
Yes, I think this is true. Even good news stories about Valve devolve into this. I mean, this thread is essentially a good news story, or at least an interesting one, and look at it.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
More likely the performance issues are due to Unity Engine, something that has performance issues on low end CPUs. If their new game is going to use the same engine, I wouldn't be optimistic, and we've seen no indication that they will use Source/2 nor if Source/2 runs at acceptable performance levels on PS4.

Unity Engine or no, I have a lot more faith in Valve doing optimization than Campo Santo. Even by Unity Engine standards on consoles, Firewatch was an outlier in how poorly it performed. Valve being on board puts Campo Santo's next game back on my radar.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I think this is true. Even good news stories about Valve devolve into this. I mean, this thread is essentially a good news story, or at least an interesting one, and look at it.

I know this is weird, random example, but a time I really recall seeing that happen in real time was with Bionic Commando, the PS3/Xbox 360 sequel (not the 2D remakes). When it came out, it actually had great word of mouth among the few who bought it, with a complaint being that it had a high learning curve. Then the game bombed, and didn't sell well. And slowly low sales became "proof" of lack of quality, even though most people admitted they never played it, or played it only for like 5 minutes. Then that became the truthy fact about it all, the game was "a hot garbage steaming shitshow mess (insert other list of played out hyperbole)." Eventually people would start criticizing it for all sorts of made up stuff that really didn't reflect the nature of playing the game. Even today, that game has a reputation that doesn't really match what its reception was really like. It wasn't some broken, horrible game. It just bombed due to lack of advertising and promotion.

But again, truthy facts.

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
giphy.gif

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This doesn't surprise me, actually.

A general pattern I see is that SteamERA has this fairly sheepish approach to gaming side generally. They'd rather just talk about it on the Steam community rather than actually reporting things and getting involved with gaming side to try an argue and change things.

I've contacted a mod a couple of times but probably could do more. One time I made my case it was dealt with pretty much instantly, so they do listen.

Congratulations!

Sorry for the fire.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

A general pattern I see is that SteamERA has this fairly sheepish approach to gaming side generally. They'd rather just talk about it on the Steam community rather than actually reporting things and getting involved with gaming side to try an argue and change things.

I've contacted a mod a couple of times but probably could do more.

Congratulations!

Sorry for the fire.
Unfortunately, your recent report has been rejected: Post in thread 'Valve acquires Campo Santo (Firewatch, In the Valley of Gods); ItVoG now a Valve title' - This isn't actionable from us.

Doesn't really help when it's flat out ignored.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017

Because Every single time any thread involving Steam / Valve comes up, this exact nonsense happens. So I'd rather talk to similar minded people than sit here arguing & Reporting idiots who think "HURR DURR VALVE HAS NO GAMEZ" is humourous.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

So he didn't say it was not warn/ban-worthy, just that nobody reported it? So, after that did the mod check the thread and warned users? Or just took notice and did a Bungie-like "we are listening" stance?

"Valve doesn't make games" "lol hats" "Valve should do more X" are lazy-dev rhetorics and are a warnable/bannable offense, but strangely, it doesn't count for Valve.

Hell, it shouldn't even be the point that there is a "us vs. them" rhetoric here. But the PC community is getting ignored and feels abandoned.

We did raise the issue with the modteam as a community last month and before that, but every "discussion" is behind closed doors and you can only raise your concerns as an individual. We don't know if there is really any desire in the modteam to make this place better and/or more neutral. The last we heard, was that they are "talking" and "review".

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Every single time any thread involving Steam / Valve comes up, this exact nonsense happens. So I'd rather talk to similar minded people than sit here arguing & Reporting idiots who think "HURR DURR VALVE HAS NO GAMEZ" is humourous.
I'm guilty of this as well, so I understand it. I just don't feel it's going to fix anything if the mods literally don't even see it. For what it's worth I mostly ignore emulation threads now for a similar reason. I pretty much know the thread is going to be awful.

Doesn't really help when it's flat out ignored.

This however is more worrying, depending on what post was reported. There's lots in here that would probably be worth action.

Anyway, this is derailing even more, I'm going to go back to being quiet again.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the problem isn't that Pc gamers tend to skew older and richer - not a slight, just the reality of PC gaming - so aren't locked into a single platform choice due to circumstance and are willing and capable of discussing a subject like an adult.
Its that console warriors treat the snitch button like a reddit downvote and command all the resources.

"Oh he said soemthing I don't like! Uhhh "whataboutism", erm... "Bad Faith"... hum... "Thread Whining", uhmm.. "Derailing"" or other vaguely worded rules that are rife for abuse.

"Snitch button" really? I'm sorry but you don't get to complain about the lack of mod support and then say anyone who uses the report button is being childish. I'm assuming mods still need to look at what's being reported and decide if it's worthy of warning.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Exactly. Shit isn't going to change.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Temporarily locked to clean up and clear up some things. We will reopen this thread later.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
We will be addressing the moderation concerns in the SteamEra community thread. For now, please get this thread back on topic.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We will be addressing the moderation concerns in the SteamEra community thread. For now, please get this thread back on topic.

Just wanted to say an earnest thank you for taking the complaints in this topic seriously. I can honestly say that at least feeling like your complaints are heard goes a very long way towards feeling moderation is fair.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first game software development team acquisition done by Valve in a long time, right? Or am I missing something?

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first game software development team acquisition done by Valve in a long time, right? Or am I missing something?
In terms of acquiring an entire team, I think you'd have to go back to Turtle Rock to find the last time they did this. With Dota I believe they just hired IceFrog, and they sort of did the same thing with Artifact.