• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lastflowers

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Oh wow, this is definitely surprising news! Explains Chris and Jake being too busy to do Important If True..
Suddenly the latest few podcasts with them (that I've listened to, I tend to collect some backlog at times) makes quite a bit of sense!

I met a few at a PAX a long time ago, and have enjoyed their perspective and story-telling for quite longer. Congrats to them, I look forward to integration with Valve's expertise and capabilities, and look forward (and maintaining my relative blackout) for the release.

If you need a room in Renton, I've got one for cheap rent XD.

Last edited:

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Valve will buy more developers, or if this will be a rare occurrence. That would be interesting to see Valve do.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I wonder if Valve will buy more developers, or if this will be a rare occurrence. That would be interesting to see Valve do.

I can see them going into more of a publishing role. I would love for them to buy into Larian, InExile, or Obsidian.

But Campo Santo is more about integrating a small team into the Valve DNA. They couldn't do that with my three examples.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif
Sad you had to see this. Hope you guys continue to make great story-based games, now with limitless funding.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news, game looked great and now had AAA backing.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I can see them going into more of a publishing role. I would love for them to buy into Larian, InExile, or Obsidian.

But Campo Santo is more about integrating a small team into the Valve DNA. They couldn't do that with my three examples.
I was actually thinking about this a little over a year ago when Tom Francis and some other folk were working on their own things but were invited to do so at Valve's offices. Always wondered if maybe some of those would end up getting hired, but afaik hasn't happened yet.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would only like Valve to become a larger publisher if either they purchase developers who don't support DRM free gaming anyway, or allow their acquisitions to continue publishing on GOG/whatever if they prefer.

And that second one is extremely unlikely.

That being said, the extra funds and guidance could help a lot of studios.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would only like Valve to become a larger publisher if either they purchase developers who don't support DRM free gaming anyway, or allow their acquisitions to continue publishing on GOG/whatever if they prefer.

That's actually something I'm sad about this purchase. More DRM free releases are always good in my book, and I can't see Valve releasing that game DRM free/on GOG.
At least they only use Steamworks DRM, and that's absurdly easy to break.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Campo Santo will still release games on console, so I dunno *shrug*

And if the decision comes down to either:
- a great dev struggling for money and finishing projects
or
- a great dev getting nearly infinite money to make the game they envisioned but not releasing on GOG

I know what I would wish for.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
This is pretty cool! In the Valley of Gods is one of my most anticipated games coming out, so it will be interesting to see what Valve's backing will bring to the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
User Warned: Topic Derailment and Trolling a Developer
my bad i accidently started when i found out i'll never play your games ever again

tell the hair tech people i love their work
Edit: 4-24-18
I don't accept the trolling accusation, what I was referring to for the 2nd line (nor the derailment either but what can I do)
tumblr_inline_p570m8BhNz1rtb73a_400.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really happy for the guys at Campo Santo. Firewatch was great for what it was but you could tell that their talent and ambition was back by their lack of resources. I really hope working at Valve works out for them and they are able to continue producing some amazing stuff.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I feel like I should say "Happy for Campo Santo!" or something positive, but I have grown increasingly wary of Valve over the past few years. I can only hope this is a change of strategy for Valve and the CS team don't just get absorbed into the hat-making machine.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always pretty skeptical of any Studio acquisition, especially when they don't own many studios and haven't published much recently. Hopefully it works out for Campo Santo, they're one of my favourite developers out there

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I should say "Happy for Campo Santo!" or something positive, but I have grown increasingly wary of Valve over the past few years. I can only hope this is a change of strategy for Valve and the CS team don't just get absorbed into the hat-making machine.
good lord no the dumb hat posts again.
Valve doesn't work like that. If Campo Santo people want to work on Firewatch 2 after Valley is released they can literally do so. There is nothing stopping them.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017

This hat joke is ridiculous. Valve doesn't force people to slave over hats, In fact, Valve lets people work on whatever shit people want to. It's part of the reason why they are still privately owned.

If the CS Team wants to work on a crude MS paint version of Firewatch, then they have all the power too, No one is being forced into working on "Hats" and this fucking Joke is garbage and does nothing but muck up threads.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
good lord no the dumb hat posts again.
Valve doesn't work like that. If Campo Santo people want to work on Firewatch 2 after Valley is released they can literally do so. There is nothing stopping them.
Listen, I'm a Dota fan. So when I say "hats" it's not necessarily as dismissive as you might think. But up until this acquisition there hasn't been a ton of evidence that Valve is interested in creating narrative-driven games like they have in the past. And they've pulled a ton of really craven moves in the past few years. So it just makes me pause and wonder.

Also, I think you are overestimating the reality of Valve's "work on whatever you want!" nature from the old handbook that's floated around for a while.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
my bad i accidently started when i found out i'll never play your games ever again
Your loss, I suppose. Maybe you shouldn't write off a team just because of some conclusions you drew prematurely: In the Valley of Gods is still in development and who knows what will follow after. I doubt Valve would have picked up a team excelling in narrative adventures if they weren't interested in that kind of game.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
Listen, I'm a Dota fan. So when I say "hats" it's not necessarily as dismissive as you might think. But up until this acquisition there hasn't been a ton of evidence that Valve is interested in creating narrative-driven games like they have in the past. And they've pulled a ton of really craven moves in the past few years. So it just makes me pause and wonder.

Also, I think you are overestimating the reality of Valve's "work on whatever you want!" nature from the old handbook that's floated around for a while.

Dawg, why would they buy a game studio to develop hats, 99% of which are just submitted by the community anyways.

Think, man.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
This hat joke is ridiculous. Valve doesn't force people to slave over hats, In fact, Valve lets people work on whatever shit people want to. It's part of the reason why they are still privately owned.

If the CS Team wants to work on a crude MS paint version of Firewatch, then they have all the power too, No one is being forced into working on "Hats" and this fucking Joke is garbage and does nothing but muck up threads.
I hope they find people who want to work on dota 2 again someday.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only very recently got around to watching the trailer for In the Valley of Gods and it looks really amazing.
I hope that Valve will provide Campo Santo the resources they need to create the game that they've envisioned and then some.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Your loss, I suppose. Maybe you shouldn't write off a team just because of some conclusions you drew prematurely: In the Valley of Gods is still in development and who knows what will follow after. I doubt Valve would have picked up a team excelling in narrative adventures if they weren't interested in that kind of game.
i don't give Valve money so them being owned by them means i'll never play their games. i don't know but 1 person who uses Steam regularly IRL and he wouldn't ever play their types of games so i wouldn't even play that way.

I wanted and expected to play Valley of the Gods before this and now i won't. Just like every Valve and Ubisoft game

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they find people who want to work on dota 2 again someday.
Has Dota 2 slowed down since that whole Overhaul thing? I remember that being hyped up for a bit. It seems CSGO Is still chugging along though (Along if TF2 which is dying a slow death)

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
i don't give Valve money so them being owned by them means i'll never play their games. i don't know but 1 person who uses Steam regularly IRL and he wouldn't ever play their types of games so i wouldn't even play that way.

I wanted and expected to play Valley of the Gods before this and now i won't. Just like every Valve and Ubisoft game
Why don't you buy Valve and Ubisoft games?

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017

Do you want a medal

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Heard rumblings of this a couple months ago, my acquaintance has been preparing to move to Seatle for awhile.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Thats what I'm asking. That's why I said I hope this represents a change of strategy. Because it doesn't jive with the image they've been putting out for the past while.
The Image of a company who's been working on a multitude of things besides Games?

Or are we going to ignore SteamVR, Steam Input, Market Improvements, the UI Update coming in 2080, and 3 of their games still getting updates & Improvements to this day.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The Image of a company who's been working on a multitude of things besides Games?

Or are we going to ignore SteamVR, Steam Input, Market Improvements, the UI Update coming in 2080, and 3 of their games still getting updates & Improvements to this day.
You are exactly backing up my point. When's the last time they came out with a narrative focused game? Six, maybe seven years ago? Since then they've been largely focused on other things. Then buying Campo Santo makes me think they're not interested in them for the games they make. It makes me wonder why are they interested? I hope that they can continue to make it a game that they want to make.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
You are exactly backing up my point. When's the last time they came out with a narrative focused game? Six, maybe seven years ago? Since then they've been largely focused on other things. Then buying Campo Santo makes me think they're not interested in them for the games they make. It makes me wonder why are they interested? I hope that they can continue to make it a game that they want to make.

So lemme get this straight, A Gaming / Game Selling company can't buy a smaller game dev not because they want to expand their portfolio, but because it's obviously a ploy to make (Lemme guess) More hats?

It's like if you told me Intel purchases Nvidia to make them design CPUs

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Just a thought: Maybe they bought Campo Santo exactly because of the reputation that Valve doesn't work on single player games anymore and this is (one of) their measures to combat this perception? Their current teams might be more interested in pursuing online titles, so they are expanding to employ new people with a passion for narrative experiences.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So lemme get this straight, A Gaming / Game Selling company can't buy a smaller game dev not because they want to expand their portfolio, but because it's obviously a ploy to make (Lemme guess) More hats?

It's like if you told me Intel purchases Nvidia to make them design CPUs
( The hats are not literal. )

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Has Dota 2 slowed down since that whole Overhaul thing? I remember that being hyped up for a bit. It seems CSGO Is still chugging along though (Along if TF2 which is dying a slow death)
Don't know which overhaul you mean. When it went Source 2 ? or patch 7.00 at the end of 2016 ?

I mean it significantly slowed down when they choose to leave beta before they got parity with dota 1, but for the past 3 years they have been unable to release more than 2 hero per year. The new competitive model mean we haven't seen a new battlepass since last TI, the winter event was the worst event in the game history imho ( and made by the community not by Valve themself, even if they paid for it ), and it was the only event since TI since the Chinese new year didn't get one this year ( and as usual with valve, with the usual lack of communication ).

The lack of a strong dedicated team for a game of that success for however long it stay successfull is probably my biggest disapointment with Valve.
Valve time being a thing when it comes to their store front when they are this big, being second.... yeah we are still waiting for that UI overhaul expected for... last summer.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I was talking about source 2. I didn't know that they were going that slow in terms of hero design, League has been crushing them in that department.

( The hats are not literal. )

Well I mean that hats are such an important part of your argument! So much so that you stated it as
CS team don't just get absorbed into the hat-making machine.
And you rapidly backpedaled with

Listen, I'm a Dota fan. So when I say "hats" it's not necessarily as dismissive as you might think.

So I don't know about you, but maybe just maybe we should give valve a chance instead of going "RIP, Enjoy making hats!"

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Well I mean that hats are such an important part of your argument! So much so that you stated it as

And you rapidly backpedaled with

So I don't know about you, but maybe just maybe we should give valve a chance instead of going "RIP, Enjoy making hats!"

fucking lol

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know that they were going that slow in terms of hero design, League has been crushing them in that department.
I haven't followed League for years but I think it's fair to say they are crushed by many many games in that department, even by game like Atlas Reactor and it's peak players in the hundreds ( most likely not viable thought, so it won't last .. too bad the game is fun ).

This link gives an easy picture : https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Heroes_by_release

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's why I made the post that said I hoped this represents a change of strategy for Valve. And I was met with indignant replies saying "have you ever thought that maybe this represents a change of strategy for Valve?!"

Chill out.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I made the post that said I hoped this represents a change of strategy for Valve. And I was met with indignant replies saying "have you ever thought that maybe this represents a change of strategy for Valve?!"

Chill out.

maybe don't come into a thread so ready to make shitty jokes that contribute to a false image if you don't want to get called out on it?

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
This is a good fit. Valve FPSes always had a strong narrative component. Their talent could be used for future VR games as well.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Will they still remain a distinct unit within Valve? I really liked "Campo Santo" games, and a "Campo Santo" game with Valve resources sounds INCREDIBLE. But I'm not sure I like the idea of these guys now just being employees at Valve after their next game comes out, because unless Valve's getting back into the business of making games I'm interested in playing (read no CS or DOTA or strictly VR), I'm not really all that optimistic.