• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is also what I suspect. I don't think this is the issue. I believe the issue is FF14 thinks Z,Rz is the right stick.

I don't have an answer, but I had a similar problem with a 360 controller in Assassins Creed 1, and the problem was this:
- Wired and wireless 360 controllers have different UIDs for some reason, and only one of them is 'officially recognised' by the game
- Assassins creed recognised the controller but because it had a different UID to a wired controller, mapped right stick to the triggers as a non-360 generic controller

The fix for my case in windows was to use 360ce (this predated things like steam controller configs). I'm pretty sure its due to crappy early attempts by MS to prevent third party controllers working as well as 360 controllers, as it was only games released in a certain timeframe (which FFXIV would fall under) that had this problem.
Do you get right stick mapping back if you pretend you're using a wired controller not a wireless one in the dropdown?

Cellsplitter

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Try adding Lutris itself as a game in Steam. I think that should work.
Thanks, I did manage to add both FF14 and Lutris itself in Steam as non-steam games. But when I start em up, either FF14 directly from steam or via steam->lutris->ff14 I get the same results with both my PS4 and Xbox controller.
I did notive that my PS4 controller also was not recognized in Steam when checking controller options but my xbox controller was.
I was playing Nier: Automata the other day with my DS4 but now it's not working.. I wonder what changed...

Update: Got DS4 working again in Steam games by removing it and adding it back from my bluetooth devices and also removing "Playstation configuration support" from Steams controller settiings.
Pretty sure the latter fixed the problem since using USB earlier didn't work either.
Steam itself however still shows "No Controllers Detected".

Last edited:

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bought and downloaded Two Point Hospital. Ran perfectly.

This is how it should be!

edit: Looks like it actually was a Linux title. In any case, a + in my book.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, just noticed. I saw it was released and just bought it without checking. Was thinking just go ahead and see how the experience would be.

Been on Linux Mint for a week now. Not a perfect experience, but I am learning slowly. And planning to finally teach myself how Linux works for once.

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't tried HMH myself yet, but see if this helps:

Install winetricks

WINEPREFIX=~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/214830/pfx/ winetricks xact

That worked. Thanks! :)

If you have xkill installed, you might be able to run it via your command runner (Alt-F2 or the system key or whatever it is your DE uses to start arbitrary commands). It's easier to just click on a window or region of the screen to kill it instead of using pkill or whatever on the terminal. KDE as well as older versions of many window managers have xkill mapped to "Ctrl+Alt+Esc" for convenience. So if your game it fullscreened and needs to be killed, Ctrl+Alt+Esc then click anywhere.

That is, of course, assuming that the black screen doesn't technically belong to your window manager. If that's the case, it will log you off rather abruptly.

I'm using Ubuntu Mate 18.04, and when that happens the screen is black and its unresponsive. Cant even alt-tab to another program/desktop, so I go to those full screen terminals and use htop to kill the game. If it happens again I'm gonna check if that works.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone tried Divinity original sin 2 definitive edition yet?

I've been holding out for a native release before buying that one. They ported the engine for the original but didn't release it for over a year... was hoping that would lead to a faster turnaround since the initial porting work was already done for the sequel. So far... that hasn't planned out.

I really hope they didn't use their delayed port of the original to judge sales potential for the platform. Obviously a game released that much later isn't going to sell that well.

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using Ubuntu Mate 18.04, and when that happens the screen is black and its unresponsive. Cant even alt-tab to another program/desktop, so I go to those full screen terminals and use htop to kill the game. If it happens again I'm gonna check if that works.

Oof! If you can't Alt-Tab, then you almost certainly can't Alt-F2 or Ctrl-Alt-Esc, since those are controlled by the DE. Sounds like you had the right solution.

Weirdly, I thought that Ubuntu had killed the virtual terminals that you used some time ago. Or maybe they just nuked most of them (as there are often six, from Ctrl-Alt-F1 through Ctrl-Alt-F6), and I've been living in my bubble for a while.

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
Oof! If you can't Alt-Tab, then you almost certainly can't Alt-F2 or Ctrl-Alt-Esc, since those are controlled by the DE. Sounds like you had the right solution.

Weirdly, I thought that Ubuntu had killed the virtual terminals that you used some time ago. Or maybe they just nuked most of them (as there are often six, from Ctrl-Alt-F1 through Ctrl-Alt-F6), and I've been living in my bubble for a while.

lol, it involved a lot of trial and error (and google!). XD

Ubuntu still have them, Ctrl-Alt-F1 through Ctrl-Alt-F6 with Ctrl-Alt-F7 taking you back to the X-session/desktop. So if anyone's desktop goes unresponsive try to use that method.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Finally installed Ubuntu on my extra SSD and messed with Proton. MHW runs with no tweaking, but at about 20FPS lower than Windows and with some weird input latency. From my previous experience gaming on Linux I'm assuming the Gnome 3 compositor is forcing some kind of Vsync that's introducing the latency. My Steam Controller also didn't work in game, though it did work for Steam and bringing up/interacting with the overlay.

Dishonoured 2 and DQ Heroes 2 both crash on launch.

Overall I'm still quite impressed. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'm guessing the answer is no, but would it be possible (at least in theory) for an Android device to use SteamOS / Proton to play Windows games?

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the answer is no, but would it be possible (at least in theory) for an Android device to use SteamOS / Proton to play Windows games?

Sure... If that Android device is running on x86. Most run arm.

Wine only converts the system calls from something Windows understands to something Linux understands. If you change the system architecture itself, you can't use a compatibility layer any more... you need an actual emulator.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Got my motherboard to behave again. Threw Ubuntu on a spare hard drive, and am liking what I'm seeing. Last attempt at mainstream desktop linux was 2011, and things are so much improved.

Had some good luck with some windows games as well. Thinking about overwriting my windows install and just taking the plunge.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I'm behind in hardware boot process. Noting that my hard drive that I have linux installed on has the same number of blocks as the SSD I have windows installed on, I should be able to do something from a bootable USB like `dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda` right? Am I going to end up with a bootloader on the SSD that will be trying to boot form the HDD?

bmfrosty@stump:~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/swkotor$ cat /proc/partitions | grep sd[ab]$
8 16 976762584 sdb
8 0 976762584 sda
bmfrosty@stump:~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/swkotor$

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
bmfrosty said:
$ cat /proc/partitions | grep sd[ab]$

There is a simple cli command called lsblk that gives a comprehensive overview of your storage media. For instance if you want to print UUID, partition name, filesystem, mountpoint you can simple type
Code:
lsblk -o UUID,NAME,FSTYPE,MOUNTPOINT

lsblk usually defaults to a few more options, and you can check all the available ones using the --help flag. In regards to the cloning part, it should work, but given it's an ssd installing linux on it wouldn't take that much time. If you already have a separate /home partition (?), it's probably the easiest option as well.

Nov 12, 2017
Not to be bad or rude but reading all the issue and configurations (pro user level) still needed on a Linux machine ...make push the idea of linux as a feasible gaming machine away of 10 or 15 years at very least ...to be basically something approachable for the masses
Let's put it again in the oven...one more time

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Not to be bad or rude but reading all the issue and configurations (pro user level) still needed on a Linux machine ...make push the idea of linux as a feasible gaming machine away of 10 or 15 years at very least ...to be basically something approachable for the masses

Think about this then: What is there was a single hardware configuration running Linux on which Windows Games could be tested and certified to run without any tweaking required from users?

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Console only gamers often think the same when they read threads about Pc gaming on windows.

But there is one difference here. On unix things usually get better.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I think some online documentation needs to be updated on UEFI and secure boot.

Managed to get dual boot set up with secure boot enabled on Kubuntu 18.04 on my XPS13 .
Worked pretty much out the box, even got the proprietory Nvidia drivers installed .

It seems I cannot hot plug my thunderbolt GPU however. I

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A lot of the configurations on here come from either:

- Proton fixes, which are to be expected considering this is still beta software and 90% of people are running games without official support.

- SDD/HDD configuration for dual booting with Windows, or using an NTFS drive with Steam.

- UEFI and secureboot issues which have nothing to do with Linux. In fact the secureboot problem only exists because of Microsoft. Around the launch of Windows 8, MS updated their OEM agreement to say that secureboot must be enabled on any device which ships with Windows, and secureboot was designed to make it a pain to install non-Windows OS's. These days it's less of an issue since most of the big distros have support for it, and you can disable it anyway. However, as we can see in this thread... with it enabled it still causes problems for people to this day.

The things which should be easier but are still solved here with intimidating terminal commands are only done so for one reason: The terminal is much faster and easier to explain than a GUI. It's essentially a copy paste fix.

There are many things in this thread which are not "needed" exactly. The average user won't experience a lot of the stuff here, but might expect the issues above when trying to dip their toes in. But I still agree with the others here that things on *nixes usually get better.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It's in beta. Very much still in the oven.

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I think some online documentation needs to be updated on UEFI and secure boot.

Managed to get dual boot set up with secure boot enabled on Kubuntu 18.04 on my XPS13 .
Worked pretty much out the box, even got the proprietory Nvidia drivers installed .

It seems I cannot hot plug my thunderbolt GPU however. I
Better support for Thunderbolt 3 seems to be incoming in the next kernel version, 4.19. That might fix it. It\s still an unusual usecase for linux users, I think.

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... Proton is still in beta so it's already in the oven. It is also open source so users can submit issues to GitHub and even code to help improve the compatibility layer.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

Get ready to see a whole lot more Linux support questions. This new development is getting a lot of people to try it out. The steam survey recently showed a little bump in Linux use and it will probably keep going up for a bit. The influx of less technically inclined users is really good for Linux at large, though.

Last edited:

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Get ready to see a whole lot more Linux support questions. This new development is getting a lot of people to try it out. The steam survey recently showed a little bump and Linux use and it will probably keep going up for a bit. The influx of less technically inclined users is really good for Linux at large, though.
The bump from 0.49 to 0.59 is nice. I can't wait to see what this brings after a few more months.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Let's imagine for a second, and I know it's crazy and won't happen, that Valve announces Half-Life 3 exclusively for Linux. And no Mac or console releases, either. Linux only, period.

I wonder how much that % would increase.

I bet that would trigger the creation of a Linux to Windows wrapper lol

Oct 27, 2017
Let's imagine for a second, and I know it's crazy and won't happen, that Valve announces Half-Life 3 exclusively for Linux. And no Mac or console releases, either. Linux only, period.

I wonder how much that % would increase.

I bet that would trigger the creation of a Linux to Windows wrapper lol
It wouldn't increase by much and there would be a monumental backlash.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

I don't think anyone thinks that Linux is going to take over the PC gaming market, but for people who would want to switch to Linux for other reasons yet are held back by game support, bridging that gap is one way to make the switch more compelling.

Just the fact that so many games are releasing native Linux versions is a boon for gamers, but Proton takes it to the next level (even if it is really early in development).

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
I think the all time high is around 1%. So I'm expecting to hear about that record being broken sooner than later.
0.59% is the highest marketshare Linux has had on Steam since last September which is encouraging. Theoretically, it should rise again this month since (1) Proton has been rolled out to the stable Linux Steam client and (2) this will be Proton's first full calendar month.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
VR userbase is around 0.79% I believe.

I wonder which will finish 2018 on top.

Probably VR because 4 months isn't a lot of time to make up that difference. 2019 will be the more interesting one, both should hopefully grow significantly. VR as a gaming technology is much more revolutionary, but Linux is much more cost effective, works with traditional games and a lot of people are getting sick of MS's antics with W8+.

Nov 12, 2017
Get ready to see a whole lot more Linux support questions. This new development is getting a lot of people to try it out. The steam survey recently showed a little bump in Linux use and it will probably keep going up for a bit. The influx of less technically inclined users is really good for Linux at large, though.
I hope it will help to understand that there's a big rewor/work to do before that os can become truly feasible for the masses ..but this is a starting point for sure

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I hope it will help to understand that there's a big rewor/work to do before that os can become truly feasible for the masses ..but this is a starting point for sure

It really isn't. Almost the entirety of this thread is people debugging beta software (Proton) or intentionally using more advanced / power user distros. A base, stock Ubuntu install is pretty easy to use.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Linux is just as easy to use as Windows for beginners. I would argue for complete technophobes, Ubuntu and it's derivatives are even easier (ignoring that Windows already comes pre-installed for a lot of people), based on real life experiences with family members who often call me for help with Windows related problems.

A thread with people testing beta software, which requires graphics drivers that don't ship with most distros yet, with plenty of experienced Linux users giving commend line instructions to troubleshoot problems is not the "masses".

The masses just want to easily install basic software like Steam, Office, an internet browser, etc, and hit a button to play games. Linux does that just as easily as Windows (except with a smaller library of games... which is what Proton is for to begin with)

Last edited:

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Have you used Linux recently or ever?

It's ridiculous that you're saying it needs some major overhaul and that this will take a decade+.

Yeah, I cured my wife of her fear of computers by giving her a Linux account. Before she thought they'd break if she touched them, now I barely get a look in.

My kids have been using it since they were four, rocket science it ain't.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The switch from Linux to Windows is easier then Windows to Mac. Esp with Mint.

Don't get me wrong I still prefer Windows and Mac over any Linux distro. They are still the two best desktop OS imo. But you can't beat free.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
For browsing the net and office apps Linux is 50000 x easier and faster and free than windows.

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
Where have you been over the course of this decade? Compatibility of Windows apps on Linux has been worked on for quite a while, but it wasn't until this year where the rate of improvement took off like a rocket thanks to Valve's involvement.

Nov 12, 2017
Have you used Linux recently or ever?

It's ridiculous that you're saying it needs some major overhaul and that this will take a decade+.
Yes...i said a decade (maybe or maybe it will never be) to be ready for the mass market ...for power users ..Linux its already there .. people who don't know how to use computers have problems with win10 and macOS....the troubleshooting of a Linux machine is still very distant from being feasible for most (and with most I mean 90%+) users....
Fragmentation is one of the biggest Linux problem ...and also i dont think is ..end user oriented but mostly fan oriented .....I don't wanna go deep into this discussion but if Linux is not there with other os's there's a reason ..and the problem is not because is a free soft.... ..remember we got red hat

Let's say that this is a good start that could with other changes needed ...give Linux a chance to get into the mass market

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes...i said a decade (maybe or maybe it will never be) to be ready for the mass market ...for power users ..Linux its already there .. people who don't know how to use computers have problems with win10 and macOS....the troubleshooting of a Linux machine is still very distant from being feasible for most (and with most I mean 90%+) users....
Fragmentation is one of the biggest Linux problem ...and also i dont think is ..end user oriented but mostly fan oriented .....I don't wanna go deep into this discussion but if Linux is not there with other os's there's a reason ..and the problem is not because is a free soft.... ..remember we got red hat

Let's say that this is a good start that could with other changes needed ...give Linux a chance to get into the mass market

Linux is not there because Windows or OSX come pre-installed when people buy a new PC. Linux doesn't (with a couple of exceptions).

Give a technophobe a computer with Ubuntu on it, show them where the software center is, and you'll hardly get any questions from them to fix problems.

I know this, because I've literally done it with family members. They ask less questions than they did on Windows.

In my opinion, Linux' biggest problem is intermediate users. The kind of person who has a lot of technology and has tinkered around in Windows but doesn't really understand how any of it works and often needs to look up tutorials on YouTube. Those are the likeliest to find something that doesn't work and the fix won't be what they are used to on Windows.

Advanced users are totally fine obviously.

Last edited:

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Taking this thread as indicative of the Linux experience is like taking a thread about making native Linux games work on Windows as indicative of the Windows experience.