• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Mine says shipping soon, ordered on the 26. None of my friends have gotten theirs afaik yet, but hopefully they all come through.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I always wanted to have those extra official skins for my current controller, but it's not available in my region and local retailers not even have those sell.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Wait... so if someone bought the controller and accessories for it they'll just send the accessories and refund the controller?
Yeah like, why is nobody speaking about it in this thread despite being in the OP? You still have to pay for fucking stickers despite not receiving the controller? I'm not getting it

Edit: Ah, the stickers are separate purchases and they don't refund those;

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Yeah like, why is nobody speaking about it in this thread despite being in the OP? You still have to pay for fucking stickers despite not receiving the controller? I'm not getting it

Edit: Ah, the stickers are separate purchases and they don't refund those;

Given the speed needed to make a purchase in these cases it is very common that someone places an order for just the controller and later places another one for accessories.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I got mine yesterday and I haven't tried it on my pc yet but why are the bumpers so baaaad

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
No. It's just wishful thinking that these getting discontinued means they'll release sth new. I for one hope it's the case too. My Steam controller has been great for point and click adventures and what not, and now I wish I had gotten an extra controller just in case.
And people always told that this is a god like controller
If it was so good then why no one's bought them and now it's discontinued
It's the only controller that does what it does. It's niche for sure, but I don't see how that makes it a bad controller. If you got a better option for me to play mouse-heavy PC games on my TV from my couch I'd genuinely welcome it. So far the Steam controller has been great for that.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
By all accounts it's a very flawed controller. That's why no-one bought it. Clunky for games that have 'traditional' gamepad controls, just as clunky with M+KB games. Jack of all trades master of none.

Jun 2, 2019
By all accounts it's a very flawed controller. That's why no-one bought it. Clunky for games that have 'traditional' gamepad controls, just as clunky with M+KB games. Jack of all trades master of none.

It's a flawed controller, like every single offer in the market. It's just not traditional, and a definitive improvement over the console offerings on anything that require a 2nd stick either to move the camera or aim.

It's clunky if you don't put the time to create your own custom configurations. A very PC-like tool that works on the ideas of modularity and flexibility.

Solid278

Aug 26, 2019
Fedex delivered mine yesterday. Only problem is, I can't find it! I was hoping Valve would have some left over for replacements but.... arrrgh

ba2

Oct 20, 2019
I got "We're preparing your items to ship." msg from Steam, so I hope I'll get my controllers.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's a flawed controller, like every single offer in the market. It's just not traditional, and a definitive improvement over the console offerings on anything that require a 2nd stick either to move the camera or aim.

It's clunky if you don't put the time to create your own custom configurations. A very PC-like tool that works on the ideas of modularity and flexibility.

Even with most custom configs it pales as a 'traditional' controller to it's dual analog counterparts.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But It looks like it flopped, I'm sure more people choose traditional controllers from MS/Sony over steam controller on PC. Whilst we can't prove subjective opinions, we can take a step back and assess sentiment.

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
Phew, mine says shipped and arriving on Tuesday. Looking forward to trying it with stuff like Pathfinder with it from the couch.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I played many CRPGs with this controller (Disco Elysium right now) and it's the only one that could. Comfy couch gaming <3

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
It is also the only controller that allows one to play fpses without a metric shit ton of aim assists required for other controllers to be usable.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

Perhaps next time they might try going for a console-like tool that works on the idea of ease of use and the idea of "it just works". I bet that with all of the extra features mentioned in the patent, they could make a default config that could fit the whole keyboard on it in some manner.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry about everyone's Steam controllers. Glad I got mine a few years ago.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Hope my second controller ships, always wanted to buy a spare one :( I absolutely adore my Steam Controller.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
My Steam controller has been great for point and click adventures and what not, and now I wish I had gotten an extra controller just in case.
Wow, I never even thought to try mine with point 'n clicks, lol. Sounds like it would work well for those.
All I know is I think it works really well for Civ V. I've been meaning on trying to configure something for certain old CRPG games like Torment and Fallout 2, but I never got around to it. I'm hoping I can get something to work well for stuff like that.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
No it doesn't. I play PC on my TV so mouse and keyboard is mostly a no go and shooters are absolutely awful on the Xbox one and dualshock 4 pad. I'm legit laughing my ass off at the thought of playing doom on a analog stick.

I play PC on a projector in my living room. And a traditional controller is still the best way to play shooters. The steam controller comes with way too much compromises.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I play PC on a projector in my living room. And a traditional controller is still the best way to play shooters. The steam controller comes with way too much compromises.
Turn off all those console aim assists then come back and tell me it is compromised.

Those aim assists exist because the concept of using a speed to describe an angular rotation is an inherent abstraction on how we resolve rotational movement.

It's also why mouse acceleration makes mouse movement in games feel *off*.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Steam Controller trackpad emulating mouse aim is way better than analog stick with or without aim assist. Add gyro aiming to the trackpad and you got a stew going.

Oct 29, 2017
Such as? It has paddles, gyro and the right stick is way more precise than anything a traditional controller could achieve. I just don't understand this "compromise" angle, if anything when it comes to shooters the steam controller is the only option without compromises.

Jun 2, 2019

Excuse me what?

A traditional controller is the worst way to play shooters by a country mile. The Steam controller has gyro and touchpads that are infinitely better that an analog stick when it comes to aiming.

Hell, anything with gyro shits over an analog stick. The touchpads are just the icing in the cake.

Dec 20, 2017
This thread made me double check -- mine is in FedEx's hands and is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. I believe I ordered Tuesday afternoon.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Turn off all those console aim assists then come back and tell me it is compromised.

Those aim assists exist because the concept of using a speed to describe an angular rotation is an inherent abstraction on how we resolve rotational movement.

It's also why mouse acceleration makes mouse movement in games feel *off*.
To be fair it doesn't really matter to the end user as to what software help goes into the controls (i.e. aim assist), as long as it controls well in the end. A good implementation should go unnoticed once you're in "the zen" of the game, and if you have to disable features to compare controllers then it's a bad comparison.

That being said even with aim assist I feel like shooters on dual analog feel terrible anyways, so I'll keep to the GOD steam controller. You couldn't pay me $5 to go through the entire DOOM campaign using a DS4 with no gyro aim. I dropped Uncharted 4 for this reason.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Steam Controller definitely requires you to create and fine tune your own profiles for each game to really be comfortable. Most people just want something plug and play. I don't mind tinkering and fine tuning, so, I end up with a much better controller in the end. But, it's definitely not for 99% of players out there.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair it doesn't really matter to the end user as to what software help goes into the controls (i.e. aim assist), as long as it controls well in the end. A good implementation should go unnoticed once you're in "the zen" of the game, and if you have to disable features to compare controllers then it's a bad comparison.
I get that. My point was that he was justifying the quality of the controller by the software assists that exist to mask issues with traditional design. The steam controller also works just fine with those assists on, but it is designed to also empower the type of user that demands more exact controls and customized to their particular needs.

As an aside, I too think that analogue controllers feel like shit when playing games that require accurate aim. I don't feel in control of what I'm doing with aim assists, and I end up playing the game of fighting the controller instead of getting the game to do what I want.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
And people always told that this is a god like controller
If it was so good then why no one's bought them and now it's discontinued

Because it's a controller for PC, and one that has a bit of a learning curve when using gyro, touchpads, and both together, also you have to learn how to use and craft profiles in steam input for it, to take advantage of it's features, it's many settings for each feature (so many sliders, and options), and to solve problems you may have in game.

I look at customizing a profile for the steam controller for each game as a puzzle, I find solutions to "I wonder if I can make this easier to control." A game like Warcraft with a ton of abilities can be controlled with the steam controller thanks to activators (so many ways to activate a command with just one button, double tap, hold, start press, release press, etc.), action layers, touch menu, two button activate, three button activate, action layers, so on and so forth.

The first thing people should do when they get the controller is borrow a profile from the community, make sure it's mouse control on the right pad, and go mountain train in some 3d game, not giving up. Grab as many collectibles in Saints Row 4 was mine, I had targets to shoot at, I could float and jump/run on buildings, and being accurate as I tried to collect a tricky orb was making me get better at using the touchpad. I didn't get it in one day or maybe a week, but I noticed the improvements, and now it's second nature, maybe the same as learning dual analog was. With dual analog games I couldn't go back to single analog after being a bit frustrated with it, if I wanted to play that game I had to learn it. Flipping the inverse option in a dual analog game right now would likely have me running around like a headless chicken, but after a while I'm sure I'd get used to it. If anything, aim assist would help me out. If a game detects controller inputs and activates aim assist on Steam controller it's very annoying.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Sigh, mine was refunded (Italy), was actually looking forward to it... shouldve bought it during previous sales. Oh well, i'm sure they'll be on Ebay soon enough for ludicrous prices

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
My two seem to have arrived today, according to my roommate. One's gonna be my second steam controller and the other is a present for my brother.

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I never even thought to try mine with point 'n clicks, lol. Sounds like it would work well for those.
All I know is I think it works really well for Civ V. I've been meaning on trying to configure something for certain old CRPG games like Torment and Fallout 2, but I never got around to it. I'm hoping I can get something to work well for stuff like that.
I made a profile that worked for Diablo 3 PC, and it has no controller support whatsoever. I was jealous of the console players.
www.youtube.com

Steam Controller with Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls Season 9

Match made in gaming heaven.