• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Shouldn't it be the other way round? Profit margins are so thin for smaller outfits and this is the equivalent of giving tax breaks to millionaires.

Countdown until we see the equivalent of "job-creators" warped terminology?

Slev

Oct 27, 2017
Hi I'm Lead Reporter, Joe Comm EnSense

In tonight's story,

Private business makes a move that is in its best business interest.

Local people we interviewed are aghast that said business didn't think about anything else other than being a good business.

In our next upcoming news story water is wet and people may or may not like this.

Back to you John.

Seriously though this move makes sense from a business perspective. Basically keep as many big names on your platform as possible even if you have to cut them better deals.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where people get idea Ubisoft has been planning to leave Steam. Quite contrary though, Ubi has been adding more Steam features to their games recently. And I have no doubt Ubi already had special agreement with Valve.

Yup ubi will stay they have been adding achievements etc to there main titles something they never use too

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
greedy company trying to make money!!!!!
grrr!! 30% too much!!!

or the iOS store
or the Google Play store
or Uber
or Lyft
or PSN Store
or Microsoft Store
or Nintendo eShop
or music from Record Companies
or Spotify
or Netflix
or Hulu
or ISPs
or YouTube
the list goes on and on

but fuck valve, greedy bastards, everyone else is cool tho (except for google play store, good that fortnite released outside so they don't give evil google any money!")
this, seriously

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't it be the other way round? Profit margins are so thin for smaller outfits and this is the equivalent of giving tax breaks to millionaires.

if I own a platform that relies on good games bringing in new people to spend on other shit in my store

i give an incentive for good games to get onto the store

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
or the iOS store
or the Google Play store
or Uber
or Lyft
or PSN Store
or Microsoft Store
or Nintendo eShop
or music from Record Companies
or Spotify
or Netflix
or Hulu
or ISPs
or YouTube
the list goes on and on

but fuck valve, greedy bastards, everyone else is cool tho (except for google play store, good that fortnite released outside so they don't give evil google any money!")
Exactly.

Many of these are much worse than Steam, as well.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Bethesda will come back. Activision seems to be doing fine on Battle.net
They were reported as being unhappy with destiny sales. They had to give away their game.

Can't really speak to CoD, but that was doing poorly regardless, because people on PC abandoned that franchise long ago.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You do know that a game like Tomb Raider sold 5 million copies and didn't recoup it's dev cost, right? When a single bomb can destroy a AAA company, methinks you overestimate the high end profit margins.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how this will affect key sites who regularly gives 20-25% discount (but never above 30%) on preorders or newly released games...

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They were reported as being unhappy with destiny sales. They had to give away their game.

Can't really speak to CoD, but that was doing poorly regardless, because people on PC abandoned that franchise long ago.

They wre unhappy with Destiny 2 Forsaken Sales. The PC launch was a success in 2017. Also Black Ops 4 sold 3x the amount as WW2.

Destiny 2 was Activisions biggest PC launch ever

3 Million sold in 3 months

Black Ops 4 triples WW2 Sales

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
steamspy would still be useful for getting sales estimates for those who don't share their sales figures, but at the same time this could allow developers to directly publish their sales figures to steam spy, which was a TOS violation prior.
Now THAT I find more intriguing.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are afraid when data caps are gone in 2050 everyone will run to ms store to try and finish the download of forza.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So why didn't they change it to a global 20% rate ? Taking more from the poorer devs is an asshole move.
Large devs have far more leverage.

Want RDR2 on steam? It's going to sell 10m+
Lower your fee to 15% per copy sold after 2 million.

Little indie dev: Can we lower our fee to 20%? We are going to sell 50k copies....

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I wonder how this will affect key sites who regularly gives 20-25% discount (but never above 30%) on preorders or newly released games...

It'll definitely disincentivize publishers from putting their games there.
Either they continue taking 30%, disincentivizing them from selling their game there at all or them taking a lower cut and making even less revenue than they already do.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people making platform decisions on AAA games like to see clearly-phrased policies
And publishers large enough to be able to afford AAA games would usually be able to get them. Or will know from prior experience.

None of the consoles clearly state their cut in a public place either. All we have to go on are developers who say it's about the same.

Steam are now ahead of the others on that front.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
That can be viewed a bit this way, but at the end of the day I do think it makes business sense to support games performing well on the platform. This could be a move to also attract larger developers to the storefront and the like. I imagine there will be a lot of different takes on this though.

The first tier doesn't need to be clearing ten million dollars to do this. This will basically exclusively benefit AAA publishers, despite the fact the %30 cut hurts indies in particular.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
era: "lol fuck valve 30% cut greedy bastards, taking an industry standard cut and they DARE to make profits"
valve: "so we are reducing the 30% cut for games which are successful as a reward for business they bring to steam"
era: "wow fuck you valve, fucking indie haters smh, only good games get less cut???"

Yep, this thread turned out entirely as expected.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
This is a fantastic and intuitive change. I'm so confused that people would think otherwise

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
As someone struggling to survive with a niche title this doesn't feel great, but you'd have to completely misunderstand how the market works to not see the logic here.

Valve doing the best thing for the health of their platform, which theoretically benefits those of us still on 70/30 in the long run.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first tier doesn't need to be clearing ten million dollars to do this. This will basically exclusively benefit AAA publishers, despite the fact the %30 cut hurts indies in particular.

Indie developers benefit far more from Steam than AAA developers so for them the 30% cut is probably worth it.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like more of a move to keep big publishers on Steam and less about screwing indies.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, Valve clearly wants to keep big (or successful) developers on Steam and stop them from creating their own stores, it makes a lot of sense for them to offer an incentive

That's not really it. They probably don't give a shit about other pub stores. What they do care about, is when Steam is not included at all.
The idea here is as it says:

The value of a large network like Steam has many benefits that are contributed to and shared by all the participants. Finding the right balance to reflect those contributions is a tricky but important factor in a well-functioning network. It's always been apparent that successful games and their large audiences have a material impact on those network effects so making sure Steam recognizes and continues to be an attractive platform for those games is an important goal for all participants in the network.
Our hope is this change will reward the positive network effects generated by developers of big games, further aligning their interests with Steam and the community.

In other words, Valve wants to continue to have growth by ensuring the biggest titles / pubs continue to have a relationship with Steam and its player base. Whether there are other stores isn't going to bother them much
And it is true, that the value of Steam comes from players being attracted by these big titles and then hooking into all manner of other titles they discover.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like more of a move to keep big publishers on Steam and less about screwing indies.
That's exactly what this is.

I'd like it to be the other way around.

So would I, but it's pretty clear who has the leverage here.

If people want to support indies, they should buy keys rather than from the Steam store, or buy from Itch. They'll get a better share (100% for a key, variable but often 90% from Itch).

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
How about they just move to an 80/20 model in general?
Still quite profitable?

Why would Valve do this? They would just lose revenue for no reason as all games that would be on at 20/80 are there 30/70.

Valve is a business, they don't owe anyone anything (except maybe the fans and another Half-life). If you dont want to launch your game on Steam they are not holding a gun to your head.

Deleted member 1326

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is about avoiding big publishers creating their own platforms.
If I were in charge of a publisher with enough pull though, no way I'd pay more than 5-10% in an open platform.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a shock.

I would vastly prefer they just shift to 80/20 for everyone, but it's extremely possible that there's no split that would satisfy major publishers and all of them moving exclusively to their own launchers may be inevitable.