• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
"Please don't leave Steam."

It may slow down the big publishers, but I think they ultimately still leave. There's too much value in having complete control over the distribution of your games.

Oct 31, 2017
I know why they are doing this, it doesn't mean I can't wish also indies got some help.
A chance to sell games on the most popular store around and reaping the benefits of their server infrastructure and services is their "help".

I swear this is starting to remind me of when they asked 100 bucks to access Greenlight and people cried that "Some devs can't afford even that".
In the sense that it seems to come from the same misunderstanding: the idea that Valve is out there to help "garage games", when their goal is actually having on their store games that can be successful.

It may slow down the big publishers, but I think they ultimately still leave. There's too much value in having complete control over the distribution of your games.
There's also value in having your product on sale where it can actually sell the most.
Not sure why this gets constantly ignored and people talk about the MARKET STANDARD 30% cur as some sort of intolerable abuse.

Last edited:

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
That's exactly what this is.

So would I, but it's pretty clear who has the leverage here.

If people want to support indies, they should buy keys rather than from the Steam store, or buy from Itch. They'll get a better share (100% for a key, variable but often 90% from Itch).

Technically an indie might get more money from your sale this way, but I'd much rather you bought on steam which contributes to metrics and increase the chances of snowballing visibility, plus you can leave a positive steam review that gets counted in the main counter that way (key reviews only show up when filtered).

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lower bound will actually be useful, if nothing else to try and deter all the Asset Flips off the steam store (Put some effort in if you want a good cut).

But I know full well there is many a game that is good that no one probably has heard of due to bad circumstances or lack of budget to market the game so I don't think this is a working scenario.

And the boundaries sorta imply they have to be among the best if you want a good cut. Go look at their best seller list form the previous years. I assume you need a Bronze minimum to get some of these benefits.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2017_best_sellers/

Even really big successful Indies from last year like Night in the Woods, What Remains of Edith Finch and Pyre didn't even crack Bronze.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lowkey I kind of think Origin was a sunk cost thing for EA until they figured out the subscription services.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Valve is the devil it seems. They can't win.
I don't mean to call some people out, but the heart of it really is just "console warring", since Valve has the biggest PC platform with Steam, thus 'attacking' Valve is a way to try and do "smear campaign" things on PC gaming. THAT'S NOT TO SAY that no one should ever take issue with Valve and critique things, having a voice and vocalizing issue and concern is all fair with free speech on a forum and all that, and to try and make the voice be heard. But it's adamantly clear even here on Era with Valve threads that not everyone is arguing in good faith and are more just contesting due to having 'personal stakes' in the matter.

Like I can see arguments about the cut and how it favors AAA over indies, but even before this change Valve was following an industry standard, and actually does a lot for that cut, and continually add more and more to their platform to make it appealing for developers & consumers, all while helping PC gaming grow as a whole. They do far more good for indies than not even, no indie is forced to be on Steam of course, but there's definitely incentives to want to be on Steam for indies. Valve is a business, and doing bushiness moves is fucking obviously what they're going to do. They're trying to make money, not be a charity run for the health of the industry or whatever some seem to be in argument of. But as they perform well as a business, they do a lot of things they don't necessarily have to for the help of the PC gaming industry and climate, which does benefit them of course but also benefits more than them. both developers and consumers.

But for many people, they just like to repetitively hammer in any leverage they have to complain and try to be dismissive of what they've done because it's not their platform/company of choice, or whatever.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure now we'll see all these companies go back to allowing Steam as an option.

we won't because it was never about the 30% cut. It was just about trying to reduce steam's marketshare which is why you can buy Origin games on other sites that DO take a 30% cut

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
There's also value in having your product on sale where it can actually sell the most.
The thing about AAA publishers is that they don't truly need it. EA does fine, and Activision has shown (with the latest CoD) that they're fine without it too.

Ubisoft is building up their own storefront, and Bethesda has its own launcher. That only leaves T2 and the Japanese publishers without an alternative.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That 75%/25% split is possible for mid-tier games that are successful - an average price of $20 at 500k sales gets you there which isn't ridiculous for a popular $40 game. You're not hitting those figures with a small indie title unless you've got a hit on the level of something like Undertale or Dead Cells though which is a level that even most popular indie games don't reach. And you're not hitting the 80%/20% split short of a AAA blockbuster or the next Minecraft.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to call some people out, but the heart of it really is just "console warring", since Valve has the biggest PC platform on Steam, attacking Valve is a way to try and do "smear campaign" things on Valve. THAT'S NOT TO SAY that no one should ever take issue with Valve and critique things, but it's adamantly clear even here on Era with Valve threads that not everyone is arguing in good faith and are more just contesting personal stake in a matter.

Like I can see arguments about the cut and how it favors AAA over indies, but Valve is following an industry standard and does actually do a lot for that cut, and continually add more and more to their platform and helping PC gaming as a whole, and does far more good for indies than not. No indie is forced to be on Steam of course, but there's definitely incentives to want to be on Steam for indies. Valve is a business, and doing bushiness moves is fucking obvious they're trying to make money and not just be a charity. But as they perform well as a business, they do a lot of things they don't necessarily have to for the help of the PC gaming industry, which does benefit them but also benefits more than them.

But for many people, they just like to repetitively hammer in any leverage they have to complain and try to be dismissive of what they've done because it's not their platform/company of choice, or whatever.
100%

Can't have any PC thread with Valve mentioned without the plebs crying about the cut, when Sony & MS charge the same.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Haha, I constantly read complaints here "30% Valve so greedy". They make a change to this and now it's "less than 30% for some devs, Valve is so greedy".

As usual I doubt many of the people criticizing even play on PC.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it makes sense. They are able to reduce their cut at those targets because they will still make enough money to profit and keep the platform operational.
This is how most industries work. Buying in bulk is always cheaper.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Haha, I constantly read complaints here "30% Valve so greedy". They make a change to this and now it's "less than 30% for some devs, Valve is so greedy".

As usual I doubt many of the people criticizing even play on PC.

Lets of course also completely ignore the upper bound cost from the console platform holders in this discussion too, as they would never dream of being so greedy.
/s

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
In my eyes this is the opposite of a good thing.
You take more money from people that make less and less from the ones that make more? i mean... what?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
In my eyes this is the opposite of a good thing.
You take more money from people that make less and less from the ones that make more? i mean... what?

The value of a large network like Steam has many benefits that are contributed to and shared by all the participants. Finding the right balance to reflect those contributions is a tricky but important factor in a well-functioning network. It's always been apparent that successful games and their large audiences have a material impact on those network effects so making sure Steam recognizes and continues to be an attractive platform for those games is an important goal for all participants in the network.
Our hope is this change will reward the positive network effects generated by developers of big games, further aligning their interests with Steam and the community.

Feb 11, 2018
This honestly has huge implications for the gaming landscape. PC players are becoming more valuable to 3rd parties. This could have long term consequences for the console business.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Greedy valve.
They only do this because they expect it'll make'em more money in the long run.

literally everything a company does is done expecting it will make them more money at some point. even all the 'nice' things they do like donating to charity or giving stuff away is done to improve their reputation, market to a certain demographic or increase brand loyalty.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to call some people out, but the heart of it really is just "console warring", since Valve has the biggest PC platform with Steam, thus 'attacking' Valve is a way to try and do "smear campaign" things on PC gaming. THAT'S NOT TO SAY that no one should ever take issue with Valve and critique things, having a voice and vocalizing issue and concern is all fair with free speech on a forum and all that, and to try and make the voice be heard. But it's adamantly clear even here on Era with Valve threads that not everyone is arguing in good faith and are more just contesting due to having 'personal stakes' in the matter.

Like I can see arguments about the cut and how it favors AAA over indies, but even before this change Valve was following an industry standard, and actually does a lot for that cut, and continually add more and more to their platform to make it appealing for developers & consumers, all while helping PC gaming grow as a whole. They do far more good for indies than not even, no indie is forced to be on Steam of course, but there's definitely incentives to want to be on Steam for indies. Valve is a business, and doing bushiness moves is fucking obviously what they're going to do. They're trying to make money, not be a charity run for the health of the industry or whatever some seem to be in argument of. But as they perform well as a business, they do a lot of things they don't necessarily have to for the help of the PC gaming industry and climate, which does benefit them of course but also benefits more than them. both developers and consumers.

It's not just Valve/PC threads, which are embarrassing enough. System Warring is present everywhere. Sales threads are often just an excuse for people to pretend like they're stockholders in their favorite companies. There are entire threads where people salivate over developers getting bought out, because it's another get in the war. Game of the Year discussions are often a not-so-subtle opportunity to win for their favorite platform-holder. Graphics threads are the same thing, and hit their worse at the start of a new generation.

It's disgusting.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
if I own a platform that relies on good games bringing in new people to spend on other shit in my store

i give an incentive for good games to get onto the store

That's not really it. They probably don't give a shit about other pub stores. What they do care about, is when Steam is not included at all.
The idea here is as it says:

In other words, Valve wants to continue to have growth by ensuring the biggest titles / pubs continue to have a relationship with Steam and its player base. Whether there are other stores isn't going to bother them much
And it is true, that the value of Steam comes from players being attracted by these big titles and then hooking into all manner of other titles they discover.

Agreed.
Some people don't get business analysis is multi dimensional, one thing impacts another and with the data Valve has access to they can get some good ideas on the value add of big publishers beyond an initial purchase.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Bah, that's like giving multibillion dollars companies tax breaks in my eyes.
"We have to cut them some slack even if they are the ones that most can afford it because we want to keep them willing to stay here/invest/whatever"

And who has the leverage? Who drives customers to Steam and in turn drives significant user engagement.
It's the successful games. An arbitrary reduced cut of eg 20% isn't healthy for competition within the ecosystem of third parties relying on Valve taking 0% and maintaining their own margin of 30% for their own costs / profitability. Larger distributors surely could compete. Go lower than that for a platform as large as Steam, and I'd guess they run into competition law issues. Neither option is healthy for their ecosystem.
And of course Valve want to earn and maintain significant revenue themselves (dumb argument in these threads)

Will Sony,Microsoft and nintendo do the same?

They do this already (as did Steam) but not on a well defined basis or universally. What Valve have done now is make very clear set of lines in the sand. This is aimed as they say, at the devs of big games "further aligning their interests with Steam and the community", ie ensuring they continue to support Steam (along with whatever else they want to do)

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just Valve/PC threads, which are embarrassing enough. System Warring is present everywhere. Sales threads are often just an excuse for people to pretend like they're stockholders in their favorite companies. There are entire threads where people salivate over developers getting bought out, because it's another get in the war. Game of the Year discussions are often a not-so-subtle opportunity to win for their favorite platform-holder. Graphics threads are the same thing, and hit their worse at the start of a new generation.

It's disgusting.
Absolutely. System warring, fanboyism, and corporate worship are problems which manifest themselves in a lot of ways here. Not just Valve/PC threads.

Valve/PC threads however, are often unreadable because of it.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
games with less sales should probably pay less since every $ might count for the developer, also they generate less traffic so probably Valve is investing less on that for them...
like 10% sounds a lot fairer in my mind than 25%...

but I understand, they are seeing more and more big publishers with their own platforms to avoid the Steam tax.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Sales threads are often just an excuse for people to pretend like they're stockholders in their favorite companies

I never not laugh at this - these poor shmucks own like 6 versions of their favorite console, 0 shares of stock and act like they are on the development team for first party development.

It's embarrassing how much pride they take in being a low level retail customer

Nov 1, 2017
Greedy valve.
They only do this because they expect it'll make'em more money in the long run.
rl4YiAI.gif

This didn't take long.

crossslide

Oct 27, 2017
The Windows 8 and 8.1 store revenue share was sort of like this - it started at 70/30 but went to 80/20 if you did over some amount of revenue (much less than $10M though, I think it might have been $50k?). This was changed with Windows 10 to match the 70/30 ratio used by Windows Phone 7/8, and more recently changed again to be 95/5 or 85/15 in the case of non-games, but still 70/30 for games.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, it's the big publishers that's leaving, right?

Anyway, this is the single thing people are complaining about. That Valve's 30% cut is too much.

Let me predict that this is the last post you will make in this thread, because its a shit post and you are not going to explain why it is too much when it is the industry standard.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't this be made to indies so they could earn more money?

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
This is great news all around. Hopefully convinces some of the big publishers like Bethesda to keep offering Steam versions.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if indies would rather me buy from itch or steam. I like using Itch more but they also seem to push steam wishlisting and reviewing more than itch purchases. I understand why but it does make the decision confusing sometimes.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
This is definitely less to appease arguments about indie games and more to encourage AAA publishers to use Steam instead of their own launcher.
I guess Steam was beginning to see their dominant position in the PC space as being under threat. If people have a bunch of launchers installed, there's more chance that sales go to the other launchers instead of Steam.
I'm not sure if i'm happy with this change as it will discourage competition. If every game is on Steam, there is no need to have multiple launchers and then Steam is able to take advantage of their monopoly over the market.