• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I really like this change, people are seeing it as "rich got richer", but the 2nd tier for 65/25 is actually a really low barrier to pass and basically most "AA" indie games that took off have easily bypassed it - which is great. Stardew Valley for instance made ~36 million USD on Steam at the start of this year, games like Slay the Spire, Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, etc those games will all have easily bypassed that tier and are really close (or possibly past) to the 3rd one.
It's undoubtedly a rather large barrier for small indies who don't have a breakout hit (which is what games like Stardew Valley and Hollow Knight are), but yeah, independent "AA" studios can certainly pass it quite easily. And that's really important for me personally, since that space is where a lot of my favourite games are made. That will also make their long-tail sales just a bit more meaningful.

I don't mean to call some people out, but the heart of it really is just "console warring", since Valve has the biggest PC platform with Steam, thus 'attacking' Valve is a way to try and do "smear campaign" things on PC gaming. THAT'S NOT TO SAY that no one should ever take issue with Valve and critique things, having a voice and vocalizing issue and concern is all fair with free speech on a forum and all that, and to try and make the voice be heard. But it's adamantly clear even here on Era with Valve threads that not everyone is arguing in good faith and are more just contesting due to having 'personal stakes' in the matter.

Like I can see arguments about the cut and how it favors AAA over indies, but even before this change Valve was following an industry standard, and actually does a lot for that cut, and continually add more and more to their platform to make it appealing for developers & consumers, all while helping PC gaming grow as a whole. They do far more good for indies than not even, no indie is forced to be on Steam of course, but there's definitely incentives to want to be on Steam for indies. Valve is a business, and doing bushiness moves is fucking obviously what they're going to do. They're trying to make money, not be a charity run for the health of the industry or whatever some seem to be in argument of. But as they perform well as a business, they do a lot of things they don't necessarily have to for the help of the PC gaming industry and climate, which does benefit them of course but also benefits more than them. both developers and consumers.

But for many people, they just like to repetitively hammer in any leverage they have to complain and try to be dismissive of what they've done because it's not their platform/company of choice, or whatever.
Very well said.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how they treat episodic games. Does every episode have to sell $10M or only the entire season together? Same for standalone or non-standalone expansion packs - do they count for the base game or only for that specific content.

Oct 25, 2017
So basically the situation is:
For some developers things will stay as they have always been and how the competition handles it as well
For the rest things will get better

And that's......bad?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Retention is not redundant in a GAAS game. They want the player to stay playing to earn more money through microtransactions and DLCs. There is a reason why Activision gave away the game! (first a cheap deal being in a monthly and then being free to keep during a week).
It's redundant in a thread about sales. It shows Activision was able to reach a large amount of gamers. It's irrelanvent to the discussion if they stayed or left after playing

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how they treat episodic games. Does every episode have to sell $10M or only the entire season together? Same for standalone or non-standalone expansion packs - do they count for the base game or only for that specific content.
I doubt they'll worry, episodic games don't come close to 10m

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
So basically the situation is:
For some developers things will stay as they have always been and how the competition handles it as well
For the rest things will get better

And that's......bad?

Not even that, it is at worse things will stay the same, at best things will get better even for those that don't get the lower cut since they will likely end up with a bigger market to sell games to because of this, or those bigger devs might charge less for a game (ok probably not but they could), which in turn means there is more money to be spent on other smaller games as well.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Steam wants more AAA games as I imagine they fear publisher making their own stores/services/streaming in the future that would result with them abandoning steam.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Valve should make their cash by charging for keys that go to key resellers/other stores. They don't see a penny from those sales and cover all the cost.

You can't be f*cking serious... You actually want them to cancel one of their most pro-consumer decisions?

Last edited:

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Deincentives the rich from making their own storefronts for their games that are too popular to be ignored regardless of distributor, so yes, that's the idea.

Basically this. As of now they have lost both EA and Activision and I cannot imagine Ubisoft will be too far behind. Bethesda were probably hoping F76 would increase the visibility of their own launcher but we all know how that went.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Lol fuck off, valve. 30% is so big already for the type of shit you do for the game. You're telling us what you do for the game equates to 1/3 of what everyone who worked on the game did. Wtf.

Rudolph

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado by way of Louisiana
Lol fuck off, valve. 30% is so big already for the type of shit you do for the game. You're telling us what you do for the game equates to 1/3 of what everyone who worked on the game did. Wtf.

Sony Microsoft Nintendo apple Google and CD Project all take 30%.

Valve is technically now the best storefront because if your indie resonates with a large audience you can make more money.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hosting, tonnes of free development tools, automatic Linux support (for most games), a forum for community feedback and participation, developer support, I could go on.

These are all things which, were the publisher were to do it themselves, would cost a fair amount of money.

It's also the same cut that GOG and all the console manufacturers take. So, why is it such a problem when Valve does it? Especially when many of them do much less than Valve.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018

Yeah, Fuck Valve for being the only one to charge 30% while doing close to nothing , They should learn from Origin, GOG, Sony, MS , Nintendo. that work their ass off to earning that 30%.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So like...a republican...

Tbh idk why that's the policy. Shouldn't it be less for the baseline and as it gets more successful you tax them higher...
Because large publishers are threatening to leave. Valve are doing what they can to keep them around.

It would be nice if Valve were to help out indie studios really struggling to make enough, but you would have to be completely ignorant to not see why Valve have been pressured into giving extras to AAA publishers.

Yeah, Fuck Valve for being the only one to charge 30% while doing close to nothing , They should learn from Origin, GOG, Sony, MS , Nintendo. that work their ass off to earning that 30%.

Please tell me what any of those do to earn their 30% which Valve does not. Go on.

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent. Hopefully it will mean some bigger publishers come back. Besides the obvious money savings, having an impartial, third-party handle distribution separately from publishers (and a privately owned company, at that).
To the indies: keep making good games that sell. Or sell to thirsty-ass switch owners.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
So like...a republican...

Tbh idk why that's the policy. Shouldn't it be less for the baseline and as it gets more successful you tax them higher...

Im pretty sure if its less for the baseline you would see even more shovelware, since people just pay the 100$ and release 50 other hentai puzzles and earn more.
The new policy is done to entice big pubs to stay on Steam instead of releasing games exclusively for their own launcher.

Valve doesnt care if "My first Unity game" is on Steam or not. They (and I am also pretty sure consumers) care if the newest Elder Scrolls is on Steam.

Please tell me what any of those do to earn their 30% which Valve does not. Go on.

I guess its sarcasm.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
I'm not really seeing the issue here, for most titles nothing changes, and a few will earn a bit more for the dev/publisher. And Steam already gives great benefits and features for the cut they take.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Clearly, Sony and Microsoft need to charge developers more in order to pay all the accountants they need to handle the monthly payments they force gamers to make in order to be allowed to play online and use other features which are free on Steam.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The 30% has always been negotiable. Usually it's industry standard to sign an NDA of sorts so you won't ever know what deals are cut behind the scenes for various publishers and developers.

We already know console platform owners often assist with marketing budgets which is no small amount of money. The contract cut for that will no doubt be different than one cut for a game they have less investment in doing well.

I think it's more interesting Valve announced it in this way given the target audience for their message.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Sony & MS take 30% and do less for the developers than Valve do.

At least try and hide your bias.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say creating and selling hardware, often at a loss is more than what Valve does. Sure they have forums and refunds but I'd think that's much cheaper than subsidizing hardware creation and distribution.
None of the console manufacturers are currently selling their hardware at a loss. This hasn't been the case since the start of the 360/PS3 era.

They don't even create as much hardware as they used to, either. They are all modified variants of off the shelf APU's from AMD, or in the case of the Switch, the Nvidia Shield.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. When you have nothing of note to argue you say something like this.

Console makers spend billions creating, marketing, and selling their platforms - often at a loss. Yet a piece of software on a PC takes more risk / does more?

Come on now son.
lmfao, console makers don't make consoles at a loss, and they sure as shit don't do it for other developers either.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say creating and selling hardware, often at a loss is more than what Valve does. Sure they have forums and refunds but I'd think that's much cheaper than subsidizing hardware creation and distribution.
None of the platform holders sell at a loss right now, and Valve works on a lot of hardware. Try harder.

Good job also ignoring all their R&D on major driver and API improvements and initiatives like Proton.

Last edited:

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Type of shit?

This whole construction that Valve hasn't done or doesn't do anything for the cuts really must stop.

People seem to take extensive developer tools and a pretty faultless worldwide distribution/update system for granted now.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Should be the other way around, imo.

Valve should make their cash by charging for keys that go to key resellers/other stores. They don't see a penny from those sales and cover all the cost.

This would devastate the entire PC gaming market. It would kill off many of these smaller retailer sites and key sites and it would lead to people buying less games overall because prices would be higher. Ultimately pubs would rather people pay $35-45 for a game at launch than $0.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Valve is technically now the best storefront because if your indie resonates with a large audience you can make more money.

At nearly every dev conference, Valve is usually considered the worst storefront by far for smaller devs, mostly due to the number of overall releases. This won't impact that, it's entirely unrelated. The tools valve offers usually don't really make up for that (as they usually don't impact these games much), that's why smaller devs are often not very happy with this here.

The best storefront currently for smaller ones is probably the switch, due to the number of releases. May change in the future. As long as it's not gog, I'm happy enough any of them works.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a single one of those show them selling hardware at a loss.
At nearly every dev conference, Valve is usually considered the worst storefront by far for smaller devs, mostly due to the number of overall releases. This won't impact that, it's entirely unrelated. The tools valve offers usually don't really make up for that (as they usually don't impact these games much), that's why smaller devs are often not very happy with this here.

The best storefront currently for smaller ones is probably the switch, due to the number of releases. May change in the future. As long as it's not gog, I'm happy enough any of them works.
source for this "every dev conference"? Actual stats? Because as someone who actually follows them, that statement couldn't possibly be more incorrect.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to curb the scourge of launchers and make their launcher the hub again. Can't blame them I guess. Makes sense.

Bummer for smaller developers but of course it is.

Oct 30, 2017
Not a single one of those show them selling hardware at a loss.

Sure. By now I'd expect they are making a slight amount of money due to time and scale, that's manufacturing 101.

Like is it really not known that consoles do the razor blade approach to making money? That's wild new news to ya'll?

You do know they make the real money from the 30% right? Rest is PS+, Live etc with first party thrown in for good measure - meaningful for Nintendo and slowly becoming a thing for PlayStation.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Console manufacturers take not only 30% for games directly sold through their online storefronts like valve, they also take a cut for retail copies, something valve isn't doing with retail copies / steamkeys
Console manufactures also make profits via paywalling online services, something valve isn't doing.
Console manufactures also make profits through hardware and periphery sales, something valve is doing, but at a vastly smaller scale.

But of course platform warrior will ignore these kinda things when screeching.