• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1808664240333155775

Mostly important:

We're going to identify off-topic review bombs, and remove them from the Review Score.

Thanks to Nzyme32:

We define an off-topic review bomb as one where the focus of those reviews is on a topic that we consider unrelated to the likelihood that future purchasers will be happy if they buy the game, and hence not something that should be added to the Review Score.
Obviously, there's a grey area here, because there's a wide range of things that players care about. So how will we identify these off-topic review bombs? The first step is a tool we've built that identifies any anomalous review activity on all games on Steam in as close to real-time as possible. It doesn't know why a given game is receiving anomalous review activity, and it doesn't even try to figure that out.
It notifies a team of people at Valve, who'll then go and investigate. We've already run our tool across the entire history of reviews on Steam, identifying many reasons why games have seen periods of anomalous review activity, and off-topic review bombs appear to only be a small number of them.
Once our team has identified that the anomalous activity is an off-topic review bomb, we'll mark the time period it encompasses and notify the developer. The reviews within that time period will then be removed from the Review Score calculation.
As before, the reviews themselves are left untouched

- if you want to dig into them to see if they're relevant to you, you'll still be able to do so. To help you do that, we've made it clear when you're looking at a store page where we've removed some reviews by default, and we've further improved the UI around anomalous review periods.
9bca4d5f8f62613ed27352a8ecacf95c414e4461.jpg

Finally, we've also enabled you to opt out of this entirely, if that's your preference - there's now a checkbox in your Steam Store options where you can choose to have off-topic review bombs still included in all the Review Scores you see.

While we're working on some other features around User Reviews, we thought this one was worth shipping by itself. As always, if you have thoughts or concerns, feel free to voice them in the comments below.

Last edited:

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
This could be good or bad. I guess you should look purely at the game and not something stupid the company said on twitter when leaving a review. Idk if this will be well received.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Interesting. Placeholder response until I read the blog post.

Ok:

Good: Specifically targeted to "Off Topic Review Bomb" = Snowflake tears over a woman in a game, a brown character or a gay romance.
Bad: "Off Topic Review Bomb"= DRM and EULA changes. The rationalization is that they don't have anything to do with the game specifically as something you can review.

Note: System is opt in.

Last edited:

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Quoting myself from PCERA:

Real talk tho, generally a good change, but i'm kinda not happy with them defining DRM reviews as "off topic".
EULA's i can understand, but DRM can be very integral to questions about the games actual playability.

_ _ _

This could be good or bad. I guess you should look purely at the game and not something stupid the company said on twitter when leaving a review. Idk if this will be well received.

As i understand, the new system is default, but completely optional, people that want can go back to the system as it has been until now.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
Have to say tho, I like having a "numbered review" based on the quantity of people that just liked the game.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
It seems fair, the review will still be available to be read but they'll not count on the game score. I like it

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Q: I care about some things that I worry other players don't, like DRM or EULA changes. Review bombs have been about them in the past. Do you consider them unrelated or off-topic?

A: We had long debates about these two, and others like them. They're technically not a part of the game, but they are an issue for some players. In the end, we've decided to define them as off-topic review bombs. Our reasoning is that the "general" Steam player doesn't care as much about them, so the Review Score is more accurate if it doesn't contain them. In addition, we believe that players who do care about topics like DRM are often willing to dig a little deeper into games before purchasing - which is why we still keep all the reviews within the review bombs. It only takes a minute to dig into those reviews to see if the issue is something you care about.

Nah, this sucks. It seems like this is a publisher-focused move to help them avoid review score hits when they fuck up in various ways.

Shitty change.

Oct 25, 2017
good. That shit was exploited by bigots and other fucks for far too long, and it was plain as day to anybody who wasn't an absolute tool

Did your game include a progressive message? Did a developer speak out against discrimination? Did it include a, gasp, woman?!
Welp, time for the fine Nazi friendly community of Steam to bomb it to fuck.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

Agreed. It's totally reasonable to review bomb a game for things that might be outside its immediate purview of quality (like censorship, as was the case with Siege last year leading into Y3S4), especially since Steam already gives users a ton of tools and metrics to highlight why a game might be getting more negative reviews recently compared to its reviews since release.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Q: I care about some things that I worry other players don't, like DRM or EULA changes. Review bombs have been about them in the past. Do you consider them unrelated or off-topic?

A: We had long debates about these two, and others like them. They're technically not a part of the game, but they are an issue for some players. In the end, we've decided to define them as off-topic review bombs. Our reasoning is that the "general" Steam player doesn't care as much about them, so the Review Score is more accurate if it doesn't contain them. In addition, we believe that players who do care about topics like DRM are often willing to dig a little deeper into games before purchasing - which is why we still keep all the reviews within the review bombs. It only takes a minute to dig into those reviews to see if the issue is something you care about.

This is probably the most important part. The reviews will still be there at least so if a company does some shitty they can still be held accountable. But we'll have to see how it works in practice.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Valve doing something kinda right for once. If they want a place on steam for discussion about developers and their practices external to the playing of a game they could make developer pages a place to leave customer service reviews without a stupid pointless number attached to it.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I don't know about this, what if the review bomb is because a developer made changes to the game that the community doesn't like? It's not always about some random internet drama.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is great because most of the review bombings were used for the most insignificant and silly protests. Also good that, for those who care, you can opt-in to see the review bombs, but glad they are not the default anymore.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I like that it is optional to opt-in. I personally read a lot of impressions and reviews so I think I'm probably opting out.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017

Nah, this sucks. It seems like this is a publisher-focused move to help them avoid review score hits when they fuck up in various ways.

Shitty change.

I don't think review bombing gets any real results, we should think about another way

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I see more good out of this than bad. Like even the post explains, if people want to dig deeper than 3 minutes they'll find anything that people are having complaints about. Review bombs are so easy to do that I think it's better to get this system rolling out asap.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
The only thing I disagree with is not allowing DRM inclusion to negatively affect a game's score. Because as we've seen, DRM can drastically affect a games performance, and if we mention that in the review it will now get flagged as a review bomb.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

Shitty change.

Pretty much.

I guess steam really wants to be extra friendly with publishers now, geee I wonder why.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If the president of a company says something racist, sexist, homophobic, etc I want to know about it and see it reflected on their review... But sadly, this is a two way street since bigots and racists will use positive comments or ones that attack hatred and a means and reason to review bomb as well...

That said, saying DRM is off topic to reviews is incredibly stupid. It's very on topic since DRM can and does have an effect on the end user.

Oct 25, 2017
Does that just mean reviews will change from "They put the feeeeemaaaaaaleeeees into my gamez" to "It brakes all the time (because of those feminists)"
You just have to be tiny bit more creative, right?

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally against review bombing and think Valve should have done more to combat it earlier (in fact, I think it's in large part thanks to toxic review bombing indies have embraced the Epic store), but I don't like the broad strokes approach they are implementing. DRM concerns are completely valid.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Valve is doing something about this but I'm still wary about these new changes. I'll have to see it in action for myself.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like something that will be difficult to manage and I imagine the review bombers will find a way around it.
If user reviews are ever wrongly removed it could look really bad for Valve, people will say Valve have been paid by publishers to remove legitimate criticism.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Terrible move. I don't like how prevalent review bombing has become but it's an effective way for consumers to voice their concerns that often gets developers to take action.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Why not just make the review system open to people who purchased the game through steam only? Or make a verified purchase badge such as on amazon

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about this, what if the review bomb is because a developer made changes to the game that the community doesn't like? It's not always about some random internet drama.

Then that isn't considered "off topic".

Neither would DRM be as long as it's performance affecting. I think giving an otherwise good game a negative review score just because it includes denuvo/etc. is not at all helpful for the general user trying to see if they want to buy the game and Valve is absolutely right - anyone in this thread that is upset about DRM on principal can still read the reviews or just opt out of this feature.

I'm probably gonna opt out of this though. Review bombing sucks but it started for a reason. It needs to be dealt with, but also players need better communication with the developers/publishers.

I'd like it more if they tagged review-bombed games as controversial and highlighted all reviews during that time period. That way it doesn't just completely fly under the radar for people that don't know about this change / rely on the scores.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
As long as it stays a toggle so we can see the review bombing, I'm okay with it.

But at a let us see how it works in practice

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Seems like a great change. The reviews are even left up, so those can still be read and hence this move isn't silencing anyone.

crimsonheadGCN

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Clifton, NJ
It's a good change, but I do not believe that DRM and EULA changes should be considered off-topic.

It's great that it's an opt-in/out, since I'll be opting out of it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
THQ Nordic got them by the balls or something?? This is probably a necessary step but I have some issues with the specifics of the implementation, because there are some things not related to the game that are absolutely relevant for purchase decisions. Like, "Does this game have spyware-y or CPU-throttling DRM?" or "Have this company's high-ranking executives recently been palling around with nazi pedophiles?"

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Can you review a game that you don't own? If not, I'd start with that... and then with a minimum playtime of 30 minutes.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Placeholder response until I read the blog post.

Ok:

Good: Specifically targeted to "Off Topic Review Bomb" = Snowflake tears over a woman in a game, a brown character or a gay romance.
Bad: "Off Topic Review Bomb"= DRM and EULA changes. The rationalization is that they don't have anything to do with the game specifically as something you can review.

Note: System is opt in.
you mean opt out as described in the blog post.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Review bombing is so childish and obnoxious. It really is.
Depends, review bombing is great when it's done after a dev or publisher fucks up like how GTA5 mods got banned. Review bombing is terrible when subhuman alt righters use it to cry about women or black people in their games.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Yeah this is pretty great. Keep the reviews, but don't reflect them in the score, unless you want them there. Probably the huge Chinese review bomb of Devotion pushed them over the edge.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the people skeptic about it. Sometimes they're bullshit, but I'm on the side that review bombs as a whole are a valid move, including in aforementioned cases that Valve already deems "off-topic".

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
awful change, love removing a legitimate way for consumers to air grievances that makes publishers actually take notice

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Depends, review bombing is great when it's done after a dev or publisher fucks up like how GTA5 mods got banned. Review bombing is terrible when subhuman alt righters use it to cry about women or black people in their games.

More often that not, review bombing is a collective effort to shit on a game because, "I don't like what you did".

The last thing I want to deal with is dozens and hundreds of man-children who rate a game 1 out of 5 because they didn't like the FOV slider or some stupid shit.