• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Valve yesterday released an update for the upcoming Valve VR Knuckles...Index controllers, which allows them to detect and adapt itself to a wide range of hand size and finger placement, based on finger activity over time.

In layman term, because everyone have different hand size and finger length, the position where you lie your middle finger on the controller, might be where someone else is lying their 4th finger on. As such the controller isn't able to tell accurately whether you are lifting your middle or 4th finger. That and some other minor tracking issues.

The update they pushed is able to have the controllers auto-calibrate to improve the reading over time, as you use them to play games.

Perhaps they will allow different user profile if there are multiple users for the controllers?

https://steamcommunity.com/games/633750/announcements/detail/1648790250573468435

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Would be cool to have something like that with the Steam controller's pads that allow it to adapt to your resting thumb position to mitigate jittery mouse movement. Better than minimum mouse threshold stuff, maybe.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Wow that's amazing, that second vid with slow finger movements. So excited for the future of VR, things just keep getting better and better.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not sure if it's the same tech but this was shown off in the Boneworks gameplay demo. Showed gripping objects and shifting hand positions etc. Really cool stuff.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Awesome, this is exactly what I was missing when playing Job Simulator on PSVR a few years ago. I will definitely get an Index bundle ASAP.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
This will be the baseline for the next decade or two of VR controllers. I'm not sure what else I would want out of one except the sci-fi dream of gloves with sub-millimeter haptic grid texture that can simulate any form.

Valve Index controllers are to be the equivalent to the 1997 release of the DualShock and it being the basis for the modern gamepad.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if it's the same tech but this was shown off in the Boneworks gameplay demo. Showed gripping objects and shifting hand positions etc. Really cool stuff.

Same controllers from Valve and utilising Valve's Skeletal Input

This is a further update, improving the accuracy. It'll apply to everyone using the Index controllers. Valve a pretty much gearing up for their launch in June