• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 10, 2018
You mean how I responded after you called me stupid? Sure. I don't agree I'm stupid. I said the logic that firing 13 people and hiring 13 people to make HL3 was stupid, and it is. And obviously you do care, or you wouldn't be firing off these troll responses, bro.

You're not getting HL3 unless Valve radically re-organizes. No need to enter a firing thread and gloat about people getting fired and then talk about some fantasy that's not happening (and most importantly, is not the reason it hasn't gotten made.) Hardware Valve is 0 reason HL3 hasn't gotten made. So direct the anger elsewhere.

I did not call you stupid, don't lie.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I left, the VR efforts were in a messy place. It's worth noting that Valve does not typically hire/fire based on any kind of financial constraints -- money is not a limited resource at Valve. This is a direction adjustment/fix thing most likely, and without finer details on who was let go, it's hard to speculate on what decisions were made.
Really should take anything by VNN/Tyler should be taken with a grain of salt.
I think he's fairly spot on, and usually gets things right. Tyler is well known within Valve, FYI.

Oct 27, 2017
Reading the history of the future now, holy shit this is a twist in that experience lol.

Seems like Valve development has its issues from what I've been reading.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's been fun for them to experiment, but I really don't see why Valve would want to get into the VR hardware business. It's a major risk and heavy cost investment to enter into manufacturing. The hardware is currently an expensive, niche market. And it really wouldn't drive much additional traffic to Steam when there are already third-party HMDs that work with the platform. Besides, they've been burned on hardware many times before (Steam Controller, Steam Link, Steam Machines). They should probably stick just to their cooperative arrangement with HTC.

It'd be a shame if that Half-Life game project ended up being cancelled though.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
When I left, the VR efforts were in a messy place. It's worth noting that Valve does not typically hire/fire based on any kind of financial constraints -- money is not a limited resource at Valve. This is a direction adjustment/fix thing most likely, and without finer details on who was let go, it's hard to speculate on what decisions were made.

I think he's fairly spot on, and usually gets things right. Tyler is well known within Valve, FYI.
Left what, Valve?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't they had that avatar, like, for ages? What's up w the pic?
Apparently there has recently been some sort of suicide challenge based on the picture that may or may not be a hoax.

I don't really know why that would make the sculpture itself with no context taboo.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Apparently there has recently been some sort of suicide challenge based on the picture that may or may not be a hoax.

I don't really know why that would make the sculpture itself with no context taboo.
It was a hoax.

I don't think Valve is suited for what AAA single player experiences have become. I think they're going to stay in their lane.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The difference between a firing and a lay off is that in a firing, an employee fucks up and suffers the consequences.

In a lay off, the employer fucks up and their employees suffer the consequences.

It's baffling that somehow, we've made the latter more acceptable.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was this a long while back or recent?

And my thoughts are that this is probably the finalization of their VR hardware, no longer needing some of the engineers that worked on it. Thoughts on this?
I don't wanna give away any particularly identifying info, so let's say in the last 3 years.

There was some discussion around which direction to take VR hardware efforts and how to proceed with certain hardware partners. I agree that their new VR hardware efforts, must, at this point, be close to completion. I don't think the layoff was related to being "done" though, I think they likely just picked one of the many outlined directions that were being considered at the time and, as a result, some personnel were no longer needed or aligned with the company's new goals.

Valve is ruthless with this kind of stuff, in case people haven't noticed. And, like I said, it's not about money. People who are let go are either not a good fit at Valve or not compatible with a particular direction the company has chosen. It's likely the latter here.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Really should take anything by VNN/Tyler with a grain of salt.

That said, since other sources reported it, I wonder what the reason for the layoffs were?

I agree in his early days a lot of his content was rough but he's gotten a lot better.
He actually let me know on another forum that he spend 2 years waiting for confirmation on multiple sources for his L4D3 video which I think shows how accurate he's trying to be with his content now.

Sadly according to the L4D3 video the reason the version that seemed to be in pretty active development for some time was cancelled while being pretty far along because the team couldn't decide to port it to Unreal because Source 2 wasn't ready or continue working in Source 2. It's very frustrating things like that are allowed to happen by the higher ups at Valve.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
In common parlance, fired is fine for the latter as well. "Laid off" is more of an euphemism.

Hardly anyone uses it that way though. Fired is almost universally seen as when an employee fucks up and the company terminates them with cause. Also means losing benefits and severance etc, whereas layoffs mean you get a package and paid out unused vacation time etc.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Hardly anyone uses it that way though. Fired is almost universally seen as when an employee fucks up and the company terminates them with cause. Also means losing benefits and severance etc, whereas layoffs mean you get a package and paid out unused vacation time etc.

Not really, fired is commonly used for people that are let go. See also: The thread's title.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No they aren't.

154258-004-BABCA6C8.jpg

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I don't wanna give away any particularly identifying info, so let's say in the last 3 years.

There was some discussion around which direction to take VR hardware efforts and how to proceed with certain hardware partners. I agree that their new VR hardware efforts, must, at this point, be close to completion. I don't think the layoff was related to being "done" though, I think they likely just picked one of the many outlined directions that were being considered at the time and, as a result, some personnel were no longer needed or aligned with the company's new goals.

Valve is ruthless with this kind of stuff, in case people haven't noticed. And, like I said, it's not about money. People who are let go are either not a good fit at Valve or not compatible with a particular direction the company has chosen. It's likely the latter here.
Thanks for sharing. I suppose we'll find out more soon enough.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
delete that fucking avatar. it is causing harm to kids. not fucking funny or worth using as an avatar. It isnt a joke.
There was a article in the Post I think that said its nothing but an internet hoax and there are no children hurting themselves because of that picture. It's no different than the razor blade in the apples or poisoned halloween candy scare.

Artadius

Avenger
Jan 15, 2018
13 people, to be more exact.
Video by VNN(I know, I know, but there are actual sources now):

And Article by UploadVR: https://uploadvr.com/valve-employees-vr-2019/

More info at the article and video.

Fire my Knuckles if old.

Hey OP.

You've railed on clickbait titles before: Hmmm

HMMMM????

Not really, fired is commonly used for people that are let go. See also: The thread's title.

The article the OP quoted literally says laid off. Nowhere in the article does the word "fired" show up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey OP.

You've railed on clickbait titles before: Hmmm

HMMMM????

The article the OP quoted literally says laid off. Nowhere in the article does the word "fired" show up.
I mean, I never said that the OP of that thread was clickbaiting, the article is. Just like VNN was clickbaiting, and the original thread title was copy-pasted from his video so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Artadius

Avenger
Jan 15, 2018
I mean, I never said that the OP of that thread was clickbaiting, the article is. Just like VNN was clickbaiting, and the original thread title was copy-pasted from his video so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fair enough.

I just really think it is interesting that someone makes a post here on Era with an obvious clickbait title and then doesn't take part in any conversation / discussion in the topic at hand for about four hours until finally someone (me) calls them out on their heading. This shit happens so much on this forum. Folks are either quick posting in order to be the first topic on the subject or posting very questionable topic headings in order to bait them clicks while I guess they sit back and watch folks get mad? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough.

I just really think it is interesting that someone makes a post here on Era with an obvious clickbait title and then doesn't take part in any conversation / discussion in the topic at hand for about four hours until finally someone (me) calls them out on their heading. This shit happens so much on this forum. Folks are either quick posting in order to be the first topic on the subject or posting very questionable topic headings in order to bait them clicks while I guess they sit back and watch folks get mad? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sure ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I'm sorry that I seem to be nit picking something that some folks might think is petty. But stuff like this irritates me.

When you were laid off, would you have enjoyed a stranger posting on a message board about how you had gotten fired when that wasn't true?
Are you seriously, actually, non-ironically going through all of my posts to find a point in an unrelated argument? Seriously? At first it was just annoying, now it's kinda creepy mate.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The thread title is wrong and since this is about employees being laid off it's important to make a distinction between whether they were asked to leave because they were made redundant or whether 13 people were fired because they made a mistake. Big difference for anyone who is remotely interested in what's happening.

In terms of common use, I've never heard of people saying they were fired when they're laid off or made redundant.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: And what's with the Nintendo troll posts? That Labo VR is gonna suck on a hardware level! Wanna kill off VR? Let people think VR is like Oculus DK1 and a vomit comet..
The Labo VR thread was full of posters worried that Labo VR would make VR seem like a joke to the public and "kill" VR. Many others think this is a ridiculous position, and are using this thread to mock it.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Labo VR thread was full of posters worried that Labo VR would make VR seem like a joke to the public and "kill" VR. Many others think this is a ridiculous position, and are using this thread to mock it.
That's a really stupid argument lol. If accessible VR will kill VR then those Samsung, Google and cheaper alternatives would have done it in already.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's been fun for them to experiment, but I really don't see why Valve would want to get into the VR hardware business. It's a major risk and heavy cost investment to enter into manufacturing. The hardware is currently an expensive, niche market. And it really wouldn't drive much additional traffic to Steam when there are already third-party HMDs that work with the platform. Besides, they've been burned on hardware many times before (Steam Controller, Steam Link, Steam Machines). They should probably stick just to their cooperative arrangement with HTC.

It'd be a shame if that Half-Life game project ended up being cancelled though.
I think they're still in a bit of a precarious position there. Oculus is still the leader in PCVR mindshare with plenty of people having no qualms buying off their store and with the Quest they'll be pulling people even further in. Most of the other headsets are Windows headsets which are also slowly trying to pull people in to their own store. Even HTC itself is pushing the Vive store and Viveport subscriptions hard. Outside of that the biggest SteamVR headset is probably Pimax which is pretty niche at the moment. Without any new partnerships or a new headset from themselves, they're going to have a harder time against Oculus in the future. Maybe not any time soon, but eventually.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
They should probably stick just to their cooperative arrangement with HTC.

HTC is on the edge of bankruptcy and their Vive branch in particular has the poorest reputation in terms of support and reliability I've ever been aware of in major consumer electronics. They've also been trying to distance themselves from Valve/Steam since Vive launched, increasingly focusing on their own Viveport VR store and VR Gamepass subscription service (which has no ties to Valve/Steam whatsoever). Their next mainstream consumer headset (Vive Cosmos) doesn't even use Valve's Lighthouse tracking system and will likely "officially" have nothing to do with Valve or Steam VR (though Steam VR will support it, cause it's headset agnostic).

Valve absolutely expected the likes of LG and Samsung to release SteamVR/Lighthouse HMD's, but it never happened for whatever reason. Samsung of course makes Window MR headsets instead (probably money hatted by MS, or Valve was contractually excluded by their partnership with Oculus) and LG's "Ultragear" (that was demoed at GDC or CES 2+ years ago) is clearly dead and buried. Ultimately Valve either makes Steam VR HMD's themselves or completely abandons VR, cause the only consumer HMD's that will be officially available for their platform will be from the dubious Chinese start up Pimax. I fully expect the OG Vive will be discontinued this year following the Cosmos release.

Last edited:

Deleted member 33597

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Because suicide is a joke, right?
Suicide isn't a joke, but people falling for a really dumb hoax and then getting indignant when called out on it sure is.

Valve is also working on three full VR games and Artifact will be the Half-Life 2 of TCGs.
Excuse me but Gabe/Valve literally never lies or changes plans and VR is already mainstream or about to take off. Any day now. Nevermind the fact that nobody anywhere close to the mainstream still even really remembers VR is a thing and that Valve's statements are multiple years old and they're notorious for promising things and then never delivering (see Source 2).

e: I will clarify that I do believe Valve is still working on VR and that as far as I'm concerned, VR has every potential to reawaken at some point in the future when hardware catches up. However, given how slow it's been and how Valve generally operates, I'm not putting a lot of faith in Valve's efforts since they consistently fail to deliver on any sort of timely schedule, if at all. If VR succeeds, it'll be largely without Valve's involvement.

Last edited: