Valve leaks Steam game player counts

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
So, it looks like there’s now a method to know precisely Steam players count numbers.

A recently discovered hole in Valve's API allowed observers to generate extremely precise and publicly accessible data for the total number of players for thousands of Steam games.
Note: Games without achievements aren't present on this list, since the calculation method is based on that achievements API.

Note #2, pointed out by Ars Technica's samred: This "method" was used while active, and has since been patched out. This is a snapshot from July 1 that the public has since lost access to. Kyle's active at the article's comment section itself if you wanna pose questions to him about the data.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/steam-data-leak-reveals-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
This information should be public, imo.

Surprised that TF2 has had more unique players than CS:GO, but I guess it has been F2P for a long time. Payday 2 being so high is wild to me, but I guess the game is on sale very frequently. Borderlands 2 being so high is also kind of surprising.

Jan 7, 2018
Borderlands 2 was wildly popular and was before some of the more recent Gearbox shitstorms, so not surprised it's up there. Plus it's been on sale a lot lately and has a lot of word of mouth.

Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Valves games at the top with huge leads is extremely impressive with those games longevity

Better they are cheap or f2p and run great on any hardware now too very impressive

Are these maus or yaus or what

Oct 25, 2017
Warframe being at #8 is pretty impressive.

Warframe being at #8 considering there's a block of players (including myself) whose Achievements aren't counted properly is pretty damn impressive indeed.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this just how many people own the game and not currently play? Because I refuse to believe that many people would still play Left 4 Dead 2 with all its lobby problems, rage quitters, griefers, and its insanely toxic community.

Oct 26, 2017
Is this just how many people own the game and not currently play? Because I refuse to believe that many people would still play Left 4 Dead 2 with all its lobby problems, rage quitters, griefers, and its insanely toxic community.
Its just people who have played it at least once at any point

Dec 5, 2017
Unturned and Robocraft? Wow, i heard of Robocraft but know nothing of it, and Unturned i never even heard of!

This is quite interesting data. Glad to see all those Ninjas playing free too!!

Oct 31, 2017
That's a pretty smart way to calculate player numbers, shouts out to this Glaiel guy.
Warframe being at #8 is pretty impressive.

Warframe being at #8 considering there's a block of players (including myself) whose Achievements aren't counted properly is pretty damn impressive indeed.
I don't believe that would have any impact on the accuracy of the overall player data.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it does not count players who own the game but haven't played it, but I assume it doesn't need at least one achievement to be earned?